Author Topic: [GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus (Closed)  (Read 62783 times)

Offline rooski15

Re: [GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus (Closed)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 23:25:42 »
My wife finally got a photo of the rest at work!

She picked up the Walnut case after I ordered maple, otherwise maple would have been the obvious pairing. But I love the way the maple makes the blue just pop!

Offline jariss

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 00:16:29 »
I sadly missed out on the first round. Will you be doing another round anytime soon? Beautiful work which I wish to have my hands on.

Offline NcA

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 11:50:44 »
Should probably chime in as I was part of the first batch! I absolutely love the wrest! Been waiting for some keycaps to arrive before posting any pictures, as this really deserves only the best, so stay posted...

As for suggestions for future drops, someone had already mentioned offering an angled option. I second this, and add options for fine-tuning the height and angle for each order, especially if you're looking to offer smaller batches with more variety in the future! Big yes on purpleheart too, would love to match my headphones  ;D

Offline Coneree

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 15:18:59 »
this is gaining some massive traction on r/mk - hoping I can get in on the next GB!
Current Rotation:
Space65 v2 | Maja Ergo | SC Alice | NK65 Purple | ID80 | Massdrop Alt HP

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 15:54:05 »
I sadly missed out on the first round. Will you be doing another round anytime soon? Beautiful work which I wish to have my hands on.
I don't know when we'll do another group buy but I know that Rob plans on making the wrist rest available on his site after the GB is done.

She picked up the Walnut case after I ordered maple, otherwise maple would have been the obvious pairing. But I love the way the maple makes the blue just pop!
Show Image

Thanks again for sharing and the /r/mk post ;)
this is gaining some massive traction on r/mk - hoping I can get in on the next GB!
Thanks. The rests will be available to custom order once the GB is finished and hopefully we'll have another GB in the near future.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 13:07:10 »
Are all orders already out? I am still waiting for mine. Hope i get it soon.:)

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 13:16:57 »

He finished and shipped the first group, and has combined the second/third group together which are now being worked on.

That's my understanding at least.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 13:20:07 »

He finished and shipped the first group, and has combined the second/third group together which are now being worked on.

Ah good to know. Thanks for the info, i definitely missed it.  :thumb:

Offline Angry Nimbus Woodcraft

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 13:50:04 »
Hey everybody!  I'm back from my trip and back in the shop.  Aside from a random tornado while I was gone and normal seasonal humidity in this area, weather here was pretty warm and dry.  Batch #2 is moving on to the final stages and the burns on remaining orders are also progressing.

Show Image

Thanks for posting this both here and to Reddit.  Its a great shot and I can't tell you how much I love the combo with the walnut and matching blue keys.

The first batch has been shipped and delivered.  Second batch is in the final stages of completion and work has begun on the last batch.  The last batch is the largest (basically a batch and a half).  These will be mailing out as they are completed.  Once the last batch is nearing completion, I will open the books for more orders.  If you have specific questions on your order timeline, please send me a message through my website with your order number and I will get back to you.  There is also a list further up in this thread that will tell you which batch your order is in, based on the order number.  Thank you for your patience!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 15:24:07 »

The first batch has been shipped and delivered.  Second batch is in the final stages of completion and work has begun on the last batch.  The last batch is the largest (basically a batch and a half).  These will be mailing out as they are completed.  Once the last batch is nearing completion, I will open the books for more orders.  If you have specific questions on your order timeline, please send me a message through my website with your order number and I will get back to you.  There is also a list further up in this thread that will tell you which batch your order is in, based on the order number.  Thank you for your patience!

No questions from my side ;) i just missed the info about several batches.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 08:40:09 »
Any news on when batch #2 will ship?

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 11:08:20 »

Batch #2 is in the currently in finishing room getting coats of poly until they have a thick enough coating to cut and buff.  Last time this process took longer (and many more coats) than expected, so optimistically they will start going out at the end of next week.  Once I ship and load the tracking info into my website, you will receive an email with all the shipping details. 

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 11:09:54 »

Batch #2 is in the currently in finishing room getting coats of poly until they have a thick enough coating to cut and buff.  Last time this process took longer (and many more coats) than expected, so optimistically they will start going out at the end of next week.  Once I ship and load the tracking info into my website, you will receive an email with all the shipping details.

Ahhh getting close. I'm in batch #3 I believe can't wait.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 11:17:24 »
I just wanted to repost this here for those of you who are wondering which batch your order is in.  All you need is the order number off your invoice.  Thanks again for your patience! 

BATCH #1  Order # 1002-1025 (Delivered)
BATCH #2  Order # 1026-1052, Order # 1054  (Currently in finishing room, hoping to ship )
BATCH #3  Order # 1053 - 1098  (Currently being burned, drying or in resin)

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 11:58:23 »
I just wanted to repost this here for those of you who are wondering which batch your order is in.  All you need is the order number off your invoice.  Thanks again for your patience! 

BATCH #1  Order # 1002-1025 (Delivered)
BATCH #2  Order # 1026-1052, Order # 1054  (Currently in finishing room, hoping to ship )
BATCH #3  Order # 1053 - 1098  (Currently being burned, drying or in resin)

Wow I knew I joined late but didn't realize it was that late. I'm #1091 lol just snuck in there.

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 13:36:41 »
So I've got 2 orders because I'm indecisive, 1065 and 1079. Feel free to toss both if those in the same box to save in space if you want.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 14:28:38 »
Hey everybody!  Popping in with a quick update.  The second batch is still in the finishing room, receiving more coats of poly to build up the finish.  I start by finishing the bottom with several coats, then flip them over and to the top.  I added some pictures to the album (the full contents of which you can see here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3B8MwQCeAtttD1VP6).  The pictures below show batch #2 just after receiving the first coat on the top.  I'm pleased with how they are coming along, but they definitely need several more coats.  In the meantime I stocked up on shipping supplys to prepare for the next big mail-out, which should be soon if the rest of the finishing process goes smoothly.

Sorry about the image quality.  The overhead led lights make it tough to get clean shots on glossy surfaces, and there are some dark areas in the finishing room that are not great for photos.

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 14:29:40 »
Even though they need more coats those already look fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 14:31:54 »
I think I see a walnut with blue denim in that second pic which is the combo I got (but I’m pretty sure I’m batch 3) but seeing that combo I’m so happy with my choice.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 14:32:38 »
Damn those are awesome!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Wed, 19 June 2019, 15:03:09 by DuellM »

Offline rooski15

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 16:41:35 »
Beautiful as always, Rob

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 16:39:24 »
Thanks for the kind comments!

Things have been rolling along here with the remaining wrist rests.  I made a quick video so you can see the progress on batch #2 and update you on the last batch.  If you want to wait until your order hits your doorstep to see what it looks like, don't hit the link! 

Here's a quick summary of the video for those of you who want to keep the suspense:  Batch #2 has received its final topcoat and they are looking awesome.  The bottom side has already been finished with 3 coats, but there are some drips and runs from the top coats that I need to sand down.  The bottoms will then get one more coat, which gives the top enough time to cure hard enough to buff out.  The buffing process removes any little dust nips and imperfections to give the surface a smoother appearance and feel.  After that I will grab some quick pictures and head to the post office.  All the shipping supplies are here and ready to go.  Meanwhile, I have been burning all the remaining blanks.  As soon as batch 2 leaves the finishing room, all of the remaining orders will start going into resin.

Here's the video:  https://youtu.be/1luyGkb7LJM

Offline funkybeat7

[GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus (Closed)
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 16:43:21 »
Fantastic! Awesome clarity on the updates, if only every update all GB runners did was as transparent :D

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2019, 16:59:35 by funkybeat7 »

Offline Rexios

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 16:58:06 »
Mine was the first one in the video so it was a little hard to get a good look at it, but from what I can see it looks incredible. Can't wait for it to get here!

Offline rooski15

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 17:48:32 »
Wow! That maple-denim is our order. Looking at the others, I wish I'd done a walnut-denim as well. Will definitely order again in the future, Rob. Amazing stuff.

Offline wcmbk

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 15:46:24 »
Any update on the final batch? :D

Offline Rexios

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:10:33 »
It looks like these started shipping. Check your order on the website for the tracking number.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 11:05:59 »
Any update on the final batch? :D

Hey sorry for the delay in response.  The final batch is all burned and they are all going into resin.  I will post a video of the burns as soon as I can throw one together.

It looks like these started shipping. Check your order on the website for the tracking number.

The second batch is indeed in the process of being shipped! 

My website should send you an email when your shipping label is purchased/created.  It takes a while to get them all packaged, so I missed the post office yesterday.  But they are all sitting by my door and will be heading out shortly.  Your tracking information should be updated later today once I drop them off.  If you are in the second batch (Orders 1026-1054) and you have NOT received tracking information, please email me through the website (or respond through your order confirmation email) so that I can check on it.

As with the last batch, I had several orders that didn't pass final inspection and need a bit more finishing.  If your order was affected, you will have receive an email update. 

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #178 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 06:57:59 »

Which one of these is the Denim? I ordered Walnut Denim and its in the third batch. Tho i would like to see how it can look. And since the order form is already closed, i don't have the picture of denim for reference.

Offline rooski15

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 11:18:03 »
Show Image

Which one of these is the Denim? I ordered Walnut Denim and its in the third batch. Tho i would like to see how it can look. And since the order form is already closed, i don't have the picture of denim for reference.
I believe the light blue, second from the left, is denim.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #180 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 11:25:40 »
Show Image

Thanks rooski15!  This is correct. 

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #181 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 11:28:11 »
Show Image

Awesome! Thanks for confirmation! I am very happy with my choice, if i see this beauty. Btw any chance for another round?

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 12:20:22 »
Show Image

Awesome! Thanks for confirmation! I am very happy with my choice, if i see this beauty. Btw any chance for another round?

Yeah that color really pops with the Walnut.  There were only a few orders for that color combo but its becoming a favorite! 

I will start another round of orders once the remaining orders from the group buy are in the final stages of finishing. 

Offline Araex

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 13:18:51 »
Received my wrist rest a couple days ago along with my zend pond spacebar, and had to to take a picture!  The wrist rest looks awesome, and I'll likely order another one once you open the orders again.
One small thing that bugs me is I'd like the logo on the back to be centered, but other than that, I love it.
222814-0

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 13:30:53 »
Every time I see one of those Koi Pond Caps I want to cry, so mad I missed out on the GB. At least I'll be able to get one of these bad ass Rests when the next GB happens  ;).

Offline Rexios

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 14:59:00 »

Here’s my work setup with this wrist rest. I love the look of it!

Offline ziggs

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 16:20:48 »
I'm really happy with mine, thank you so much. Here's a (really bad) picture of my setup.

222817-0

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 19:39:57 »
Oh wow seeing more pictures of round 2 being delivered is making me realllly want mine again can't wait for it!!

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 04:11:24 »
Show Image

Wow!! What wood option is that? I can't remember what I ordered but I sure hope it was this one :)

Offline Rexios

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 07:49:53 »
Show Image

Wow!! What wood option is that? I can't remember what I ordered but I sure hope it was this one :)
That’s the Maple

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 19:22:51 »
Oof looking nice. If i had the money at the time  :'(.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 10:25:47 »

Thanks for all the pictures.  It makes me so happy to see these get matched with their keyboards!

Received my wrist rest a couple days ago along with my zend pond spacebar, and had to to take a picture!  The wrist rest looks awesome, and I'll likely order another one once you open the orders again.
One small thing that bugs me is I'd like the logo on the back to be centered, but other than that, I love it.
(Attachment Link)

Thanks for the feedback!  That keyboard looks awesome.  I do my best to get the logo centered, but stamping it is a manual process and therefore it's not always perfect.  I actually had that stamp made right after the group buy ended, so I am still figuring out a method to get the best results.  As with most manual skills, it will likely improve with time.  Meanwhile, its a great reminder that your rest is completely handmade by one person from start to finish.   Just like your logo, I am also a bit off-center  ;)

Every time I see one of those Koi Pond Caps I want to cry, so mad I missed out on the GB. At least I'll be able to get one of these bad ass Rests when the next GB happens  ;).

I will be making more of these soon, but I have to complete the last batch of orders before taking on more commissioned work.  Stay tuned to this thread and I will make an announcement when I get close to opening the books again.  Thanks for your interest!

UPDATE

The final batch has received the resin inlay and the are now curing.  The weather has been insane here in PA the last few weeks.  We are at the tail end of a massive heat wave and tons of rainfall.  The humidity is off the charts, which is slowing down the flattening process.  Although all of my lumber is kiln dried down to a low moisture content, raw wood "breathes" and will accept moisture from the air around it, which causes it to swell and change shape.  If you have a wooden door in your house that gets hard to close or jams during the summer months, then you have experienced this phenomena.  Because of this high moisture content, the wrist rest blanks are likely to change shape when they dry out.  If I flatten them now, while the moisture is high, it is likely that they will warp or twist when they dry out.  To avoid this, I will have to wait for the humidity to die down and allow the boards to dry out.  In the meantime, I will move on to scraping and sanding the tops of the boards to remove the excess resin and prepare the surface for later.  If we continue to see crazy humidity and rain, I will try moving the blanks inside my house to let them dry out.  We only have one room with A/C, which makes it tough to lay them all out and still move around, so please bear with me while we wait for nature to stop being so crazy.  Hopefully we will get some cooler, drier air soon.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 09:58:54 »

Thanks for all the pictures.  It makes me so happy to see these get matched with their keyboards!

(Attachment Link)

Ooh thanks for the information. I will be following this thread :).

Thanks for the feedback!  That keyboard looks awesome.  I do my best to get the logo centered, but stamping it is a manual process and therefore it's not always perfect.  I actually had that stamp made right after the group buy ended, so I am still figuring out a method to get the best results.  As with most manual skills, it will likely improve with time.  Meanwhile, its a great reminder that your rest is completely handmade by one person from start to finish.   Just like your logo, I am also a bit off-center  ;)

I will be making more of these soon, but I have to complete the last batch of orders before taking on more commissioned work.  Stay tuned to this thread and I will make an announcement when I get close to opening the books again.  Thanks for your interest!

UPDATE

The final batch has received the resin inlay and the are now curing.  The weather has been insane here in PA the last few weeks.  We are at the tail end of a massive heat wave and tons of rainfall.  The humidity is off the charts, which is slowing down the flattening process.  Although all of my lumber is kiln dried down to a low moisture content, raw wood "breathes" and will accept moisture from the air around it, which causes it to swell and change shape.  If you have a wooden door in your house that gets hard to close or jams during the summer months, then you have experienced this phenomena.  Because of this high moisture content, the wrist rest blanks are likely to change shape when they dry out.  If I flatten them now, while the moisture is high, it is likely that they will warp or twist when they dry out.  To avoid this, I will have to wait for the humidity to die down and allow the boards to dry out.  In the meantime, I will move on to scraping and sanding the tops of the boards to remove the excess resin and prepare the surface for later.  If we continue to see crazy humidity and rain, I will try moving the blanks inside my house to let them dry out.  We only have one room with A/C, which makes it tough to lay them all out and still move around, so please bear with me while we wait for nature to stop being so crazy.  Hopefully we will get some cooler, drier air soon.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 10:57:45 »
Thought I'd post some pics. Amazing work.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 13:23:38 »
Thought I'd post some pics. Amazing work.
Show Image
Show Image

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting these pictures and the compliment.  It matches that board really well!

This was one of my favorites from the last batch.  This blank had quite a bit of "birdseye" figure in it that really popped with the dye stain and finish.  Its hard to tell in the pics, but those little spots are almost holographic. They appear and disappear depending on the angle from which you view it.

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 15:16:57 »
Ohh green on grey nice! I think that's the combo I ordered, not sure on the wood though.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #196 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 17:07:57 »
Got a date in mind for R2?  ;)
current
Coming soon

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 17:37:22 »
He has already stated there won’t be an R2 per say but you will be able to commission one.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 10:39:09 »
He has already stated there won’t be an R2 per say but you will be able to commission one.

Ah my bad thanks for the information.
current
Coming soon

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:17:52 »

Ah my bad thanks for the information.

This is correct.  I will be taking more orders for these in the near future, once the group buy orders are completed.  I am going to limit them to smaller batches, but you will have more options to customize them.  Stay tuned for the announcement, because it looks like I should be wrapping these up in the next few weeks!

Here's an update on the last batch.  They have all been scraped down on the top side, and today they got the first round of jointing/flattening.  I grabbed some shots today just before I started flattening them.  They will sit overnight to allow internal stresses to relax and check them again for flatness.  This process will be repeated until they stay flat, at which point I can trim them to size, sand, treat the edges and begin the finishing process.