Author Topic: [GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus (Closed)  (Read 62520 times)

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
Re: [GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus (Closed)
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 15:36:04 »
Hey Nimbus!

Are we almost getting ready to ship the 3rd groups rests? I'm so excited for this :)
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Keebmeupscotty

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 22:06:46 »
Finally seeing that green apple with walnut has me wondering the same thing.

Offline Angry Nimbus Woodcraft

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 14:53:11 »
Hey Nimbus!

Are we almost getting ready to ship the 3rd groups rests? I'm so excited for this :)

Finally seeing that green apple with walnut has me wondering the same thing.

Hey folks.  I thought I penned an update last week but I must have gotten distracted and closed the window.  After the first round of flattening, I was still concerned about high moisture content in the wood due to the absurdly wet/humid summer weve been having.  Raw wood expands and contracts quite a bit as it absorbs moisture from the air around it, and the concern is that the wrist rest could warp once it settles into a cooler, drier enviroment (like your climate conditioned house).  After consulting a few professional woodworkers, one of my buddies let me borrow his fancy moisture meter to test them.  As expected, they were all higher than what I would like to see.  I brought them all inside and set them on a shelf in our living room, which is the only place in my house with AC, and let them dry out.  It took a while, but they all dropped down to a workable dryness.  Once the proper moisture content was achieved, I started to take them out in small batches to do a final flatenning, trim them to length, round over the edges, do a final sanding, restain and seal them with the urethane topcoat.  Working in small batches meant that I could do all of those steps in one day for each batch, which meant that they didn't sit in the humidity long enough to present an issue.  I have been working through them in chronological order, and the first group is just about ready to ship out.  When they ship, you will receive an email from my website which will include your tracking information.  If you have any questions about your specific order, please contact me through the website or simply reply to the order confirmation email that you got when you ordered. 

Here's a few shots from the finishing room so you can have a look at the progress.  That Walnut/Green Apple combo has me feeling some kinda way.  I'm gonna be working through more batches this week, but the finishing process can take a while so please bear with me as we approach the finish line.  Once the last batch is getting ready to ship, I will make a post about taking more orders.  I am super excited to share the new options I have been dreaming up!

Some of you may recall that I had a little mixup on batch 1 and ended up making one of the wrist rests in the wrong size.  I offered that one up for sale and it found a new home very quickly.  I have a similar situation with an order from batch 2.  I was waiting for the original customer to get back to me, and now I can offer that one up as well.  This was not a size mix-up, but more of a blemish issue.  I had completed this one and was about to ship it when I noticed that it was not completely flat.  I do a final inspection on each piece and this one just didn't pass the test.  It has a little wobble to it from one corner to the other but it would be perfect for someone that wants a show piece, uses a non-skid pad, or doesn't mind putting some of the included bump-ons on the back edge to stop it from wobbling.  The size is 15 3/8", and its Ebonized Pine with Blue Denim resin.  As this one is blemished, I will offer it at a discount for whoever wants it.  The price will be $40 plus shipping.  Have a look at the picture/video below and shoot me a message if you would like to make it yours. 

Video showing the wobble: https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1QipMqZyaJl-dO8X1y_Nj61veqKTMBq5SYzy5tVHcfAU3LkM1XeGb54DKLyQcrg-A7UQ/photo/AF1QipPrUKGkcxOyqK25PZO9EQVGz5OpiqDXMOSPXQJ1?key=ZG9kaS1VbE9YZWpCR3JMeGJoOWNKand3X1doU1NB

Offline supersahib

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 15:12:59 »
I wish i saw this when GB opened. are there any extras?

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 15:36:31 »

Please see the above post regarding the 15 3/8" Ebonized Pine/Blue Denim wrist rest that is currently available.  These were all made-to-order, so there are no extras.  I will be taking more orders in small batches once these are complete, but it will not be a "group buy".  There will be an announcement when my books are open again, and it should be quite soon.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 15:47:11 by Angry Nimbus Woodcraft »

Offline rooski15

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 19:20:19 »

Please see the above post regarding the 15 3/8" Ebonized Pine/Blue Denim wrist rest that is currently available.  These were all made-to-order, so there are no extras.  I will be taking more orders in small batches once these are complete, but it will not be a "group buy".  There will be an announcement when my books are open again, and it should be quite soon.
Gorgeous rest - I'm almost tempted to pick it up. We have 2 at our house and they're phenomenal - you won't regret nabbing it.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 20:56:32 »
The wrist rest has been sold!  If you missed out, remember that my books will be open again soon, so stay tuned to this thread for an announcement.  I will likely make a new post in the marketplace when everything is ready to kick off, but I will make a post here with a link so everyone can find it.

Gorgeous rest - I'm almost tempted to pick it up. We have 2 at our house and they're phenomenal - you won't regret nabbing it.

Thanks for the kind words!  I'm glad you are enjoying yours so much.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #207 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 08:08:57 »
Hey everyone, wanted to drop a little update here.  Since my last post, all of the remaining wrist rests have gone through the flattening process, been cut to length, profiled, sanded, restained (for the ebonized orders) and have moved on to finishing.  I was doing all of this in batches, so some have already received their final coat of finish, and some have only gotten one or two coats. There were more than 45 wrist rests in this last batch, so I had to get creative with finding the space to spread them all out, but since all of the sanding and other dusty jobs were done, I was able to use my tablesaw cabinet as an extra surface for the last batch.  Here is a look at where we are right now:

The rests that have gotten their final coat will need to sit for a while (3-5 days) for the finish to cure completely, then I will be able to give them a final polish and ship them out.  In the meantime, I will continue adding coats to the rest of them.  There will inevitably be a few that need to stay with me a little while longer to work out blemishes, but we are closing in on the end.  Looking forward to putting a bow on this project and opening the books for new orders!

Offline BrainBunker

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 00:52:58 »
Thanks for the update! I think I see mine in the last image there, and it's looking fantastic! I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person and enjoying it on a daily basis.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 01:18:22 »
That ebony and green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline keysRus

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 10:11:20 »
Ebonized maple and denim resin 65% in the last photo, 3rd from the left? I ask cause I think that's mine and it looks gorgeous!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 18:44:34 »
Ebonized maple and denim resin 65% in the last photo, 3rd from the left? I ask cause I think that's mine and it looks gorgeous!

It might be!  At this point all of the identifying marks have been removed from the blanks, but if you were order number 1093-1099, that may very well be yours.

Offline jortzii

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 19:04:08 »
I think I see mine in there and I'm super excited to get it! Thanks for the updates!!
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline keysRus

« Reply #213 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 12:10:21 »
Can't wait!
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2019, 12:14:48 by keysRus »

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 15:15:06 »
Ahhh it's so hard to wait this last little bit since i've seen the almost finished product of my rest.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #215 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 11:23:42 »
Ahhh it's so hard to wait this last little bit since i've seen the almost finished product of my rest.

You won't have to wait much longer!  I shipped out 10 of them earlier this week, covering orders up through order #1064.  I have 20 more that have been polished and are in the process of being packaged for shipping.  That brings us up through order #1083.  The remaining 17 rests are either receiving their final coats of finish, or are curing so they can be polished.  My website automatically sends you tracking information when I ship, but it may end up in your spam/promotional mailbox. 

Sadly, I did have a few rests that did not pass my final quality test, and some that needed to go back into the finishing room for more work.  I will be contacting you soon if your order was affected.  That means there will likely be some discounted, blemished stock available soon, but it is dependent on the original customer wishes. 

I just added over 100 photos of this batch to the shared album which you can find here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3B8MwQCeAtttD1VP6.  Please note that all of my pictures are taken outside in full sun with a phone camera and are completely unedited, so the colors are a bit washed out.  Additionally, the dye stain is translucent, so at some angles black looks more like gray, or simply reflects and appears clear.  Also, I'm no Ansel Adams so that doesn't help, lol.  I was hoping for a cloudy day, but its been full on sunshine here for several days, and I wanted to get these pics out.  You can see them all in the album, but I'll add just a few here because doing all that copy/paste is kind of mind-numbing  :confused:

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 September 2019, 12:40:48 by Angry Nimbus Woodcraft »

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 14:25:23 »
Dropping in with a quick shipping update, and I have one new blemished wrist rest available.

I shipped out 20 more wrist rests today, up through order #1082.  If you didn't receive an email with your tracking number, please check your junk/spam folder as they sometimes end up there.  Otherwise you can send me an email reply to your original purchase confirmation email so I can check the status for you.  The remaining 18 wrist rests are curing while they await polishing.  Almost there!

I have one wrist rest that didn't make the cut on my final inspection.  At some point during the finishing process, it warped a bit causing a minor wobble.  The wobble is similar to the last one that I posted.  You can see a video of that one here: https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1QipMqZyaJl-dO8X1y_Nj61veqKTMBq5SYzy5tVHcfAU3LkM1XeGb54DKLyQcrg-A7UQ/photo/AF1QipPrUKGkcxOyqK25PZO9EQVGz5OpiqDXMOSPXQJ1?key=ZG9kaS1VbE9YZWpCR3JMeGJoOWNKand3X1doU1NB.  This wobble can likely be compensated with a couple layers of masking tape in one corner, or by using the provided bump-ons along the rear edge alone to stop it from rocking. It also has a bit of a swirl pattern on the face that can be seen in the pics below.

This is a 60% rest (11.75") in Ebonized Pine, with Gold Rush.  The discounted price is $40 plus shipping.  Shoot me a message if you would like to make it yours.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 22:20:25 »
It's finally here, the last shipping update!

Aside from one wrist rest that I have to remake, every order has been completed, polished, packaged up and shipped!  If you did not receive an email with tracking information, please check your spam/promotional folder as they sometimes end up there.  Otherwise, shoot me an email with your order number and I will check on the status for you.  I have updated the album which you can find at the link below, but here are a few shots from the final batch:

https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1QipMqZyaJl-dO8X1y_Nj61veqKTMBq5SYzy5tVHcfAU3LkM1XeGb54DKLyQcrg-A7UQ?key=ZG9kaS1VbE9YZWpCR3JMeGJoOWNKand3X1doU1NB

Once more I want to thank you all for making this project happen and being so patient along the way.  I am far beyond my original delivery date, and everyone has been super chill about it.  That is much appreciated on my end, and allowed me to take the time to make them to the best of my ability.  It has been a ton of work, but I had a great time doing it.  I've learned a lot along they way, and the work has inspired me with new ideas for future projects. 

That being said, my books are now open again for new orders!  I will make a post in the proper forum in a few days, but I wanted to give the folks following this thread a chance to get a chance before I make another thread.  I am going to take orders for (up to) 20 wrist rests.  In the future I may take larger orders, but right now is a very busy time for craft shows, and I want to make sure I don't spread myself too thin. 

There are a few changes, and several new options available, so I'm going to break it down quickly below.

WOOD OPTIONS

I have a few new wood choices for the next batch.  The first addition is American Black Cherry.  This is one of my new favorites to burn, producing a tight pattern similar to the maple and walnut from the last batch.  It has a lot of reds, pinks and salmon tones, which darken with age to a reddish hue.  Here is a picture of a bottle opener that was made from Cherry, with a white resin inlay:

The second addition is Curly Maple.  Curly Maple comes from the same tree as the hard maple from the original group buy, but its a section of timer that has abnormal grain growth, resulting in heavy, curly figuring.  Basically, this stuff looks holographic when the light hits it. As a thank you for setting this group buy up (and a chance to prototype), I made JB1830 a curly maple wrist rest to match one of his boards.  It just showed up at his door, so I'm sure he will chime in with a picture once he gets a chance.  Meanwhile, here's a preview of an ebonized curly maple rest.  I did a color gradient on this one, which will also be available for new orders.  The second picture is curly maple with a natural finish.

The last change is that I am no longer going to offer pine as an option.  Pine was intended to be an economical option, but it has turned out to require much more labor, and more product to produce.  The result is a wrist rest that is just as expensive to make, but lacks the durability of a true hardwood.  I also feel the burns come out much nicer with the hardwood options.

I may add more wood species in the future, but I need to do more testing before we cross that bridge.

CUSTOM LENGTHS

I will continue to offer the standard sizes, but you can now order any length you need (within reason of course).  Just send me a note with your desired length along with your order.

RESIN COLORS AND BLENDS

Taste the rainbow.  I'm leaving the original color options up, but the floor is open for any color you like.  I am also offering color gradients/mixtures similar to what you see above.  My website limits the number of variants I can have for each product, and I am already maxed out, so just shoot me an email (through the website) with your wood type, length, and resin color(s).  Then I will write you a custom invoice for your order.

PRICE and BATCH QUANTITY 

I made a post about this way back in May, so I'm just going to quote it quickly.

I think the biggest take-away from this project is that I would prefer to work in smaller batches.  As much as I appreciate the financial stability of having lots of pending orders, accepting 100+ custom orders is a huge workload on top of the rest of the tasks involved with operating a small craft business.  I am the only employee here, which means I also have to handle administrative duties, social media, booking shows, replenishing my stock and creating new products.  These other aspects have suffered from my focus on the wrist rests.  Additionally,  I feel like constantly making the same thing has taken a toll on my creative output, which is the entire reason I quit working as a mechanic and started this journey.  My current plan is to take up to 10 custom wrist rest orders each month, but include more options to allow deeper customization.  I may increase this number during the winter, when business is slower (due to the lack of craft shows and post-holiday reduction in purchases).  The second take-away is that I can't sustain the original group buy price.  When I made the original wrist rest for JB1830, I didn't encounter any issues with warping or lose product due to blemishes and waste from milling.  The amount of hours I have poured into the first few batches is over two times what I had estimated from the first build.  I don't have a final price point yet, but I will determine that once I have all the factors nailed down. 

For now, batch quantity is going to be based on my current workload.  Right now, I can take up to 20 orders with a delivery date before New Years. 

I have also locked down the pricing which is listed below.  The original group buy price was based off of the time that I spent making the first wrist rest.  After totaling up all the hours and costs for the group buy, that number was way off.  Each of these rests takes between 3-4 hours to produce on average.  I also neglected to consider the additional hours for sourcing the lumber, the cost of packing materials and the time involved with packaging/shipping the product, along with the wear on my tools in the shop.  All of these factors have increased the price of the final product.  Here is the breakdown:

Natural Maple, Walnut or Cherry:  $100
Ebonized Maple:  $110
Natural Curly Maple: $110
Ebonized Curly Maple:  $120
Multi-color/Gradient: Add $10

The increase in pricing for ebonizing is due to the extra labor time involved with this process.  Each piece needs to be sanded and dyed twice, along with additional time for color matching and touching up along the build.  The black rests also require more polishing at the final stage.

The additional cost for color gradients is also due to increased labor time.  The epoxy resin that I use to fill the burns has a limited pot-life before it starts to harden, and doing a blend takes additional time. This means I can only work on one rest at a time, instead of batching out several of the same color in one shot. 

I have updated the product page on my website with all of the new options.  Here's the link:

https://angrynimbuswoodcraft.com/collections/custom-wrist-rests-made-to-order
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 22:23:13 by Angry Nimbus Woodcraft »

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 08:17:54 »
GAH, best news this week!

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 16:07:12 »
Hey Nimbus can you post another picture of the Black Cherry and the curly maple samples? They for some reason are not loading for me I'd love to see em though!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 16:52:14 »
Hey Nimbus can you post another picture of the Black Cherry and the curly maple samples? They for some reason are not loading for me I'd love to see em though!

Here you go!  If these don't work, use the link in my last post and look through the album or hop over to the product page.  I added a few more to the album.

Offline wcmbk

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 20:14:46 »
Great stuff, can’t wait to get mine!

I am thinking about getting another to match my other board.. have you considered making rests that would fit an Alice?

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 06:26:23 »
Great stuff, can’t wait to get mine!

I am thinking about getting another to match my other board.. have you considered making rests that would fit an Alice?

Looking at the Alice it would pose some new design challenges, but it's do-able.  I would need to have the keyboard in my shop to create a wooden template with a tight fit, then use the template to cut out perfectly sized/shaped blanks.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 07:47:37 »
Hi everyone!

I've given it several days and it looks like those who were waiting to order have made their moves, but I still have some open spaces left for custom orders in this next batch.  I have created a new post in Artisan Services, but it is waiting approval.  I have also posted the link to r/mechmarket on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/d85wfv/artisan_custom_captured_lightning_wrist_rests_by/.  If you picked up one of my rests, and would like to leave your feedback in either of those threads, I would very much appreciate it. 

Also, I still have one B-stock wrist rest remaining.  This lil guy right here: 

I have one wrist rest that didn't make the cut on my final inspection.  At some point during the finishing process, it warped a bit causing a minor wobble.  The wobble is similar to the last one that I posted.  You can see a video of that one here: https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1QipMqZyaJl-dO8X1y_Nj61veqKTMBq5SYzy5tVHcfAU3LkM1XeGb54DKLyQcrg-A7UQ/photo/AF1QipPrUKGkcxOyqK25PZO9EQVGz5OpiqDXMOSPXQJ1?key=ZG9kaS1VbE9YZWpCR3JMeGJoOWNKand3X1doU1NB.  This wobble can likely be compensated with a couple layers of masking tape in one corner, or by using the provided bump-ons along the rear edge alone to stop it from rocking. It also has a bit of a swirl pattern on the face that can be seen in the pics below.

This is a 60% rest (11.75") in Ebonized Pine, with Gold Rush.  The discounted price is $40 plus shipping.  Shoot me a message if you would like to make it yours.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'll keep an eye on this thread, but I expect there won't be much more activity.  I want to give one more HUGE thank you to the GeekHack Community, and everyone who has participated in this thread for giving me the opportunity to make these.  Y'all are awesome folks.

Offline Anakey

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 08:08:26 »
thank you for giving us the opportunity to purchase individual and unique pieces to compliment the amazing verity of boards that we use as a community

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 06:57:50 »
The new post has been approved in the Artisan Services Forum.  You can find that thread here:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102538.0;topicseen

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 11:21:00 »
Here's my completed one. Took a long time but I am really happy with the result.

Thanks for the awesome gb man :)

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 13:49:37 »
Here's my completed one. Took a long time but I am really happy with the result.

Show Image

Thanks for sharing the picture!  Looks like you got the one with all the crazy figure in it.  That was a really cool looking piece of wood.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 11:03:45 »

Show Image

Thanks for sharing the picture!  Looks like you got the one with all the crazy figure in it.  That was a really cool looking piece of wood.

Everything is fine just got mine wrist rest as you can see. I am very happy with it ;) Thank you very much!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #229 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 21:15:45 »
Everything is fine just got mine wrist rest as you can see. I am very happy with it ;) Thank you very much!

Oh Awesome!  I'm so glad to hear that it arrived.  Looks amazing with the board!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 09:24:08 »
Hey everyone!  Just popping in with an update and to let you all know about a special deal going on right now.

If you currently have an open order with me, they will all be shipping out soon.  Every current order has received its final coat of finish and they are curing so I can polish and ship them out.  I am hoping to have this completed by the end of next week.  You will receive an email with tracking info as soon as they ship out.

If you have been following along and waiting for a deal, I have one for you!  I am currently running a free shipping discount for all orders inside the US.  This deal is also available on made-to-order items, including wrist rests.  All you have to do is use discount code "ShipFree" at checkout and I will cover the shipping costs.  Unfortunately, I cannot extend this offer to international orders.  If you are outside the US and want to place an order, please contact me through the website and I will send you a discount code for $15 off your order.

Here's the link to start building your own: https://angrynimbuswoodcraft.com/collections/custom-wrist-rests-made-to-order