Author Topic: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - Shipping  (Read 248767 times)

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Re: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - Shipping
« Reply #800 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 00:07:28 »
Wondering if the KBDfans KBD8X PCB might be another potential replacement to the PCB. I sent Wei an email to see what he thinks. Long shot, I know.

Offline EvoPlatypus

« Reply #801 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 05:49:46 »
Wondering if the KBDfans KBD8X PCB might be another potential replacement to the PCB. I sent Wei an email to see what he thinks. Long shot, I know.

Would definitely like to know.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #802 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:04:29 »
Also, Scott, at LFKeyboards graciously offered to make a replacement PCB depending on how many people are interested. If people want to let me know I can get him involved. I for one have a completely defective PCB so I may go in for 2, so I have an extra.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #803 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:06:14 »
Also, Scott, at LFKeyboards graciously offered to make a replacement PCB depending on how many people are interested. If people want to let me know I can get him involved. I for one have a completely defective PCB so I may go in for 2, so I have an extra.
Does this include the USB port breakout?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline C³—Ears

« Reply #804 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:16:52 »
C³-LDN-RGB is a suitable replacement. If you interested,GB is alive now. See here:https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95713.0

If you have found replacement,sorry to bother you!

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #805 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:47:08 »

I think so as I called it out on my original email to him but I will double check just to be certain.

Offline Badmotorfinger

« Reply #806 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:54:51 »

I think so as I called it out on my original email to him but I will double check just to be certain.
Id be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #807 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 10:13:22 »

I'm very interested.  How do we voice our interest to them?

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #808 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 11:13:40 »

Once I get a few more questions answered from LFKeyboards regarding the design, I can relay general interest to them to try to keep it organized and easier for them. I'm saying this while trying being very careful not to be a de facto GB runner on a PCB :)

Luckily they're set up to process orders online, so I just need to get them a head count once it looks like they can produce what we need.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #809 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 11:15:13 »

No, thank you for letting everyone know. I wasn't aware of this, and I'm not 100% sure the LFKeyboard product will happen until I am able to get some additional information from them.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #810 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 12:38:19 »
I'm very much interested. Would love to bring this unearthly slab to life at last

Offline Eggplant

« Reply #811 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 13:14:21 »

I'm both glad and terrified that I'm not the only one experiencing pcb issues.

I wouldn't mind a higher quality replacement as well.

Offline swangful

« Reply #812 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 14:14:17 »

I'm both glad and terrified that I'm not the only one experiencing pcb issues.

I wouldn't mind a higher quality replacement as well.

I'm terrified that I don't have PCB issues...yet. I havnt built the board yet but after testing the PCB i had no issues D:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #813 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 19:34:51 »
had a chance to look at one of these in person last night: any A87 PCB should fit as long as you can solder the daughterboard to it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline olivia

« Reply #814 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 19:38:25 »

Once I get a few more questions answered from LFKeyboards regarding the design, I can relay general interest to them to try to keep it organized and easier for them. I'm saying this while trying being very careful not to be a de facto GB runner on a PCB :)

Luckily they're set up to process orders online, so I just need to get them a head count once it looks like they can produce what we need.

I'm interested as well!

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #815 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 20:21:48 »
nvm

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #816 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 21:37:47 »
had a chance to look at one of these in person last night: any A87 PCB should fit as long as you can solder the daughterboard to it

Thanks for checking, I'll probably use L3/TX87 for mine.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #817 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 23:46:38 »

C3 was saying B87 + Moon Daughter board. Can you confirm again?

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #818 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 08:46:28 »

C3 was saying B87 + Moon Daughter board. Can you confirm again?

Hi C3, what should I be selecting if I need a pcb to replace Moon TKL? Will the pcb fit exactly on Eve Moon?
B.87 with no usb port.You have to use the daughter board in the Moon Kit. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

This is what I went with.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #819 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 06:37:33 »

Hi guys, here's a quick update:
LFK confirmed that if we can get a MOQ of 5 PCBs, they'll produce a replacement PCB with the following details:
  • USB breakout like the Moon PCB
  • In-switch backlighting compatible
  • QMK support so fully programmable
  • Alps support (but that would obviously require a different plate)
  • Lead-time is 4-6 weeks, once they have all the dimensions + some additional time, once it's in their regular order queue
  • Pricing $70 + $8 USPS priority shipping US, or $25 first-class shipping internationally

They also said that if we order more than 5 then the price will possibly come down, depending on qty. At this point I just need a head-count so PM me if you are indeed interested with your email address and order qty so I can relay that information to LFK. They can figure out how they want to process the orders. I'll buy 2 PCBs if we can hit MOQ so basically half-way there.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #820 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 08:15:46 »

Hi guys, here's a quick update:
LFK confirmed that if we can get a MOQ of 5 PCBs, they'll produce a replacement PCB with the following details:
  • USB breakout like the Moon PCB
  • In-switch backlighting compatible
  • QMK support so fully programmable
  • Alps support (but that would obviously require a different plate)
  • Lead-time is 4-6 weeks, once they have all the dimensions + some additional time, once it's in their regular order queue
  • Pricing $70 + $8 USPS priority shipping US, or $25 first-class shipping internationally
They also said that if we order more than 5 then the price will possibly come down, depending on qty. At this point I just need a head-count so PM me if you are indeed interested with your email address and order qty so I can relay that information to LFK. They can figure out how they want to process the orders. I'll buy 2 PCBs if we can hit MOQ so basically half-way there.

hmm, my 2 PCBs are still working, but I might get in on one just to be on the safe side

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #821 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 09:02:07 »

I'm in for 1 or 2.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #822 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 21:56:06 »

This is quickly going from what was already an expensive group buy to a painfully expensive one :( But being the big subscriber to sunk cost fallacy that I am, I would be in for this. A $600 keyboard that works is better than a $530 keyboard with two of the most important keys not working. Just one PCB for me. If we end up close to a price drop threshold I could possibly be convinced to buy two but would rather just the one if possible.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #823 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 23:52:18 »
ignore this post
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #824 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 23:59:33 »

This is quickly going from what was already an expensive group buy to a painfully expensive one :( But being the big subscriber to sunk cost fallacy that I am, I would be in for this. A $600 keyboard that works is better than a $530 keyboard with two of the most important keys not working. Just one PCB for me. If we end up close to a price drop threshold I could possibly be convinced to buy two but would rather just the one if possible.

Replying to this post because it's the most recent.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #825 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 13:33:05 »
OK so it already looks like there's enough potential interest to purchase 5 PCBs from LFKeyboards, based on posts and PMs to me.

My apologies for the number of posts--I'm not trying to hijack this thread. At some point this may require its own thread so moderators, just say the word and I'll create one.

I'd like to provide LFKeyboards a final head-count by Tuesday, 5/29. That way if people change their minds and for whatever reason we don't hit the 5 PCB MOQ, there's still time to go with the C³-LDN RGB80% PCB GB which is looking like it ends on 6/3.

For the sake of organization, please just sign up here and I'll do the leg work of getting this relayed back to LFKeyboards
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jDnFQyOmsr0-Mm18CRnijE8W1uwVjnyFLC_ob2eSCZU/edit?usp=sharing

Again, there's no guarantees this will happen if we don't hit MOQ so please just sign up if your committed  ;)

Offline icedsoychai

« Reply #826 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 12:55:11 »
I hope it's not too late.

Edit: Nothing yet.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 August 2018, 11:56:37 by icedsoychai »

Offline JDragon

« Reply #827 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 18:45:12 »
Has anyone gotten any responses at all regarding replacement PCBs?

Offline icedsoychai

« Reply #828 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 15:09:38 »
I don’t think a replacement from the original source will be available anytime soon, if at all. If you read through the last two pages of this thread, you’ll have information about the two current options for replacing the PCB!

Offline JDragon

« Reply #829 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:17:07 »
I don’t think a replacement from the original source will be available anytime soon, if at all. If you read through the last two pages of this thread, you’ll have information about the two current options for replacing the PCB!

Yeah I understand, I'm just frustrated at yet another GB with issues and a disappearing GB runner.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #830 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 21:06:41 »
Honestly, we need to stop hijacking this GB with PCB sales and interest check. The correct thing to do now is for TS to do pcb replacement for faulty ones, since those are paid for.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #831 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 21:31:39 »
Hi guys, sorry got pulled away for some personal matter. I'm going through my PMs at this moment to gather total replacement number. I will get back to you if you've already sent me PMs before. There's no need to PM me again. However, if you have not sent PMs to me previously, you are encouraged to do so.
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline poolside

« Reply #832 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 04:23:03 »
There is still is handful of boards with paid shipping invoices that have not been sent out. Any news on when those will be shipped?
If it turns out replacements are needed for them, will there be enough?

Never mind.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2018, 18:07:35 by poolside »

Offline neralo

« Reply #833 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 02:33:05 »
Finally got around to building the thing.

https://i.imgur.com/hrQyTkV.jpg

absolutely gorgeous keyboard, but 2 of the keys don’t work (8 and 9 keys)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #834 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 20:55:54 »
We understand that there are a couple of issues with the PCB and the is nothing close to ideal at all. We have found a much better source as PCB solutions of future GB on geekhack or rmm, if there's any.. With the new born coming in Aug, I'll be pretty busy. We'll see.

Again, sorry about the imperfection. I've found a US proxy, and you can send the faulty parts to the proxy and then they will be forwarded to EVE in China. Same thing when the parts come back. I'll send each buyer with issue(s) once I'm done.

Thank you for your patience.
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #835 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 21:17:55 »
Is there a proxy in asia I can forward the PCB to?

Or can I send to Eve directly for Asia to fix the board?
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 June 2018, 23:14:40 by Mikiberry »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #836 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 00:42:37 »
We understand that there are a couple of issues with the PCB and the is nothing close to ideal at all. We have found a much better source as PCB solutions of future GB on geekhack or rmm, if there's any.. With the new born coming in Aug, I'll be pretty busy. We'll see.

Again, sorry about the imperfection. I've found a US proxy, and you can send the faulty parts to the proxy and then they will be forwarded to EVE in China. Same thing when the parts come back. I'll send each buyer with issue(s) once I'm done.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks for the update. I am still hoping to get a WKL top replacement for mine which came with a defect as I had already reported previously. As for PCB solutions, do you mean to say that a new PCB has been developed for this keyboard?

Programming for this keyboard was not very simple, and it would be neat if PCB developers would stick to more commonly used protocols, such as Bootmapper or QMK.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #837 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 04:02:11 »
Is there a proxy in asia I can forward the PCB to?

Or can I send to Eve directly for Asia to fix the board?

Likewise. Sending from Australia to America to Asia doesn't make much sense.
I have the added problem of being on the road from next Wednesday and won't be lugging around 5kg of non-working keyboard with me. If the PCB needs to be returned somewhere I'd either need to do it before next week or after October when I get back :(

Offline Paynefactor

« Reply #838 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 09:53:40 »
Any word on replacement stripes? There seems to have been a mix-up with mine, as they aren't the color that I ordered. Looks nice, but they're a violet/purple instead of starry night grey. The case itself is beautiful, but those stripes really don't fit with the colors I picked.

Offline HS_Tri

« Reply #839 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 15:55:56 »
If you haven't assembled the board yet, you can use "jumper wire cables"/"dupont wire jumpers"/"Drahtbrücken"/"Überbrückungskabel"/"pin headers", or whatever they're called, to connect the USB daughter board and have it easily disconnectable. It's a bit of a tight fit when putting the case together, but it works fine so far.

I used 2.54mm pin headers. Straight ones for the USB daughterboard, angled ones for the pcb. PCB mount switches will cause one of the connectors to stick out slighty, but this doesn't seem to impede the connection: https://imgur.com/a/DuFc2xZ

Offline EvoPlatypus

« Reply #840 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 20:43:18 »
any further news? Still just sitting here with a case.

If you have a spare/unwanted PCB and Daughterboard, I will buy it. sitting here with just a case is really sad.

Side note, anyone try the KBD8x? I don't think it shipped yet, but i am hoping. Looking for anything to get this keeb done.

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #841 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 03:55:10 »
I have the 8X, very happy with it. For the price it has I think its great. First round is shipped.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #842 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 08:33:10 »

If you have a spare/unwanted PCB and Daughterboard, I will buy it. sitting here with just a case is really sad.

Side note, anyone try the KBD8x? I don't think it shipped yet, but i am hoping. Looking for anything to get this keeb done.

If you don't find a daughterboard for a while, you could just attach a USB cable directly to the PCB temporarily.  The daughterboard is a simple pass-through piece to mount the mini USB port in the right place--it's not required for the keyboard to work. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #843 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 10:03:12 »

If you don't find a daughterboard for a while, you could just attach a USB cable directly to the PCB temporarily.  The daughterboard is a simple pass-through piece to mount the mini USB port in the right place--it's not required for the keyboard to work.

the classic method

it looks cool, at least

and that's probably what i'd do

Offline EvoPlatypus

« Reply #844 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 23:03:53 »

Not above that, just wishing I could have it how it was intended. Mine didn't come with one and my board sorted out .

Offline Kavik

« Reply #845 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:27:51 »

Not above that, just wishing I could have it how it was intended. Mine didn't come with one and my board sorted out .

If you're really desperate, I have a spare plate/PCB/daughterboard. Swapping plate/PCB on this keyboard is a real hassle, so I'll probably just stick with the one I have in the keyboard. (My original plan was to have a loud clicky version and silent version and swap them out for home and work).

I have already soldered switches into it, but I've been needing to desolder them anyway since I went with too heavy of springs.

PM me if interested.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #846 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 01:11:55 »

Any idea what's happening with official PCB replacements yet? This is really starting to drag out...

Offline Kavik

« Reply #847 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 01:18:38 »
Is the special keycap for the logo designers still happening?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #848 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 09:52:48 »

There was a special keycap? I am just joining the thread now as I am getting a moon and I'd like some info about that if you don't mind :)

Offline swangful

« Reply #849 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:11:50 »

There was a special keycap? I am just joining the thread now as I am getting a moon and I'd like some info about that if you don't mind :)

When this GB first opened, it was using the same logo as the china moon. Someone had pointed out that the logo was an exact copy of someone else's design so there was a contest to redesign the logo. Those that submitted designs were to receive a surprise, which I believe is the keycap.