Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic Unboxing  (Read 96353 times)

Offline appie747

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 11:57:20 »
They're selling TE's ! 229 dollars. Think I'll go for one.
Kinesis Freestyle Incline (work), Compaq MX 11800 (browns), AlphaGrip AG-5 FOR SALE! (home)

Offline Rajagra

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 12:16:17 »
Quote from: Architect;495602
Yeah I thought somebody posted a comparison picture here before ...

My post (177)?

Here's the TE hiding behind a Happy Hacking keyboard (without palmrest, obviously):

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 January 2012, 12:18:19 by Rajagra »

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 13:03:42 »
I wonder why the Function keys weren't brought down to be just above the number as they are done in the Maltron? The three specials could be placed above that, top center. That would have been nice, but would be even a bit more unusual.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline RTbar

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #303 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 13:25:02 »
has anyone who ordered received a tracking number or any update on their shipment?

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #304 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 14:17:17 »
Quote from: RTbar;496928
has anyone who ordered received a tracking number or any update on their shipment?

Not me. I was notified that shipping started (in general), and a couple days later it arrived. That was a preorder BTW, shipped in December 2011.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #305 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 15:44:24 »
I did on one, not on two others, then one of them was supposed to be shipped a few weeks ago but no tracking and they haven't answered any emails. The last two show the order as "Complete" in my account but there is no tracking number.

Customer support presently sucks with this company. Amazing keyboard though.

Offline treigle

• http://www.neuron0.net
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #306 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 15:32:34 »
Do any of you guys who have the ISO/ANSI TE find the non-contiguous -+ keys bothersome, either for programming or for graphics apps where they may be used to zoom in/out?

I find the ISO/ANSI versions slightly more beautiful than the JIS, but the -+ could be a small issue, and 4 extra keys to map to Compose, Meta, etc wouldn't really hurt.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2012, 15:36:22 by treigle »
Kinesis Advantage, Truly Ergonomic (ANSI), Filco 87

Offline Rajagra

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #307 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 16:59:28 »
Quote from: treigle;497876
Do any of you guys who have the ISO/ANSI TE find the non-contiguous -+ keys bothersome, either for programming or for graphics apps where they may be used to zoom in/out?

I was surprised to find out how much I liked the hyphen at top left. It's probably my least accurate key on a normal keyboard. I never miss it on the TE.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #308 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 17:19:04 »
I have the 109 and the -_ and += are where I'm used to them (top right) and they're lovely. With the extra corner keys for options (Command/Option/Control) I'm in heaven.

The Control is a little bit out of reach for my pinky though, getting used to that. But it's not used all that much, mainly Terminal/emacs and such.

Offline kuato

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #309 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 19:14:44 »
Hey all. New to the geekhack forums.

I ordered this keyboard the other day. I've not followed the back-and-forth between keyboard enthusiasts and the TE company, so was unaware of all the negative press until I wandered here. The TE appeals to me because of the form factor, lack of a capslock key, configurability, and mechanical keyswitches. At this point, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the $230 I sent them will eventually materialize into a keyboard...

So a question for the OP: I'm a person who's been mostly acquainted with standard/staggered layouts, well this board take a lot of getting used to?

I'm using a Microsoft Natural at work (I'm a software developer) -- I know that this keyboard is probably a joke by geekhack standards but for $40 and the soft wrist-rest, it's an economical replacement for a standard-issue Dell board. At home I use a Daskeyboard with Cherry MX blues, because I just love that clicky feel. I also have a KBC Poker and briefly owned a Typematrix as well. The TE would seem like the marriage of many of the keyboards I've tried, so it seemed like a good bet at the time...

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #310 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 20:54:06 »
I got a note today that they changed the shipping process so there is delay in getting the boards out. Expect them to ship soon, this week probably.

I'm a software developer and the TE is my dream keyboard.

Offline kuato

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:34:56 »
I work mostly in a bash+vim all day so anything that minimizes finger travel will be tops. Out of curiosity, what do you currently use as your weapon of choice?

fossala

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #312 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 01:58:59 »
Quote from: kuato;498395
I work mostly in a bash+vim all day so anything that minimizes finger travel will be tops. Out of curiosity, what do you currently use as your weapon of choice?

He has a TE that he preordered.
I'm just waiting on there formal apology for lying and deceiving before I place my order. I also want someone to have a problem so we can see how he deals with that.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #313 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:25:07 »
Quote from: treigle;497876

Absolutely! For this reason I'd like to move the whole top row one position to the left, as I did with my Kinesis.

You might think this also moves the numbers in an unusual position, but actually relative to the home row they're in a very similar place compared to a "normal" keyboard with staggered rows (where the "2" key is almost straight above the "a" key). Depending on how you typed numbers before fingers might or might not change - they did not change for me because I was using whichever finger felt most comfortable (the closest one) before I switched to Colemak and a Kinesis keyboard.

Quote from: kuato;498033
Hey all. New to the geekhack forums.

[...]

So a question for the OP: I'm a person who's been mostly acquainted with standard/staggered layouts, well this board take a lot of getting used to?

Welcome! Yes, a matrix layout will take some getting used to, but you will most likely love it and start thinking that anything else is bad. It took me a little over 2 weeks on the Kinesis to start loving it (and ordering a second one). The TE felt natural immediately because I'm used to matrix layout already.
The TE is a good product, despite the company's shortcomings, I'm hoping they'll release their firmware programming software soon so I can remap it to my liking (and "fix" the Shift key location) and give it a more extensive trial.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:36:45 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 05:27:26 »

I have to work in many environments through the day. Old emacs guys .... I prefer OS X for this reason, emacs keybindings through the system (some VI too I believe). I try to use the arrow keys as much as possible with modifiers, on Win and OS X.

The Kinesis is a good programmers board, a million times better than any standard. The big deficiency (IMO) is the crummy Function keys and the lack of dual symmetric modifier keys on both hands (Control/Command, Alt/Option, Win/Control for PC and Mac). The curved bowls are nice, but the built in palm rest isn't.

The TE isn't as comfortable a board as the Kenisis, being flat, but to this software guy its far more usable.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 05:45:43 »
Quote from: Architect;498513
The Kinesis is a good programmers board, a million times better than any standard. The big deficiency (IMO) is the crummy Function keys and the lack of dual symmetric modifier keys on both hands (Control/Command, Alt/Option, Win/Control for PC and Mac). The curved bowls are nice, but the built in palm rest isn't.

I agree on the crummy F# keys, I wish they'd just added an extra row of cherry switches on top instead, and maybe made use of the center area for the special keys for remapping and such (those could even have stayed rubber if need be). :(

As for the dual symmetric modifiers, I take it you didn't want to lose page up/down nor home/end? Because you'd have to sacrifice at least one of them if you'd remap like I did on the left side on the right side as well.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 07:05:47 »
Quote from: boli;498516
As for the dual symmetric modifiers, I take it you didn't want to lose page up/down nor home/end? Because you'd have to sacrifice at least one of them if you'd remap like I did on the left side on the right side as well.

Yeah, I use the navigation keys like crazy for programming. Modifiers are incredibly important too, and without the dual symmetric there are keystrokes you really can't perform, or it's difficult to perform many actions. Especially the heavy use of the Control key in text editing (Emacs bindings) and the Terminal. Option is required with the arrow keys for navigation and many other places, and so on. I did once try remapping page up/page down home/end to the corresponding modifiers but it bricked the board, or rather made it un-resettable. Don't know what happened with that, had to send it into the factory to get rechipped.

My ideal Kinesis would be Cherry function keys like the Maltron, a third key in the two thumb blocks (in the empty spot at the very top) for symmetric modifiers, and a bed of nails on the palm rest :) The ErgoDox looks to address these issues, but now I've got the TE for much less and it's a commercial product so I'm happy.

My only complaint about the TE is that I wish they had designed it so the function keys sit right above the number key row like the Maltron does. Would be easier to learn and use. I never used the F keys on the Kinesis because I disliked the eraser keys so much, now I'm learning and using them. On the TE I would have brought that row down, then placed the threesome above that.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 07:15:55 »
Agree on the F# keys on the TE, good switches, bad position, so still not ideal. :-/

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #318 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 09:58:08 »
Quote from: Architect;498537
My only complaint about the TE is that I wish they had designed it so the function keys sit right above the number key row like the Maltron does. Would be easier to learn and use. I never used the F keys on the Kinesis because I disliked the eraser keys so much, now I'm learning and using them. On the TE I would have brought that row down, then placed the threesome above that.

Why don't you suggest this to TE ? You have a close relationship with them, no? It would be a huge improvement to have the F row right above the number row because you could touch-type the F keys that way. Completely agree with you, the F row should come down and the 3 keys should go on top.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #319 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 10:28:26 »
Quote from: sordna;498625
Why don't you suggest this to TE ? You have a close relationship with them, no? It would be a huge improvement to have the F row right above the number row because you could touch-type the F keys that way. Completely agree with you, the F row should come down and the 3 keys should go on top.

Don't know about a close relationship, my questions don't get answered unless I scream bloody murder, they are doing their best to hide behind a 'corporate front' to the whole business. Anyhow I did mention it in an email but I don't expect they'll do anything. The cost of bringing up a production line is huge and they need to recoup those expenses now, probably will be in the red for some time and while some people would like it surely some wouldn't.

It's fine, not a big deal to me, but is really the only complaint I have at the moment.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #320 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 10:53:26 »
Quote from: Architect;498650
It's fine, not a big deal to me, but is really the only complaint I have at the moment.

I take it you got used to the Shift key locations then?

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #321 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 11:03:16 »
Quote from: boli;498672
I take it you got used to the Shift key locations then?

Yeah, except when switching to a regular keyboard (using a laptop for example) I have a few moments where I have to reset. On the laptops I mapped the caps lock to nothing because I tend to hit it when going to them. While it was a bigger change than what I remembered when I first got on a Kinesis it has smoothed out as much. And now I'm moving beyond that. I gave up on many key combinations and the function keys due to the difficulty with using them on most keyboards which don't have the dual symmetric modifier blocks. Which means lots of mousing. Now I do the majority of my work without the mouse, including all navigation, all menu navigation, and window switching. Combined with the dual arrow blocks I'm presently faster and more productive, but it was a tough switchover.

Edit: Just noticed (as I was using another keyboard) that it's pretty much seamless now going between keyboards. The brain is a good adapter.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 11:06:51 by Architect »

Offline Hazborgufen

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #322 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 11:17:47 »
I'm actually somewhat interested in this keyboard. I don't need an ergonomic keyboard to help with pain or to increase work productivity or anything like that. Mostly I'm intrigued by this board because it looks like a funky tenkeyless that might be more comfortable for casual use and gaming. If the key reprogramming software is ever released, wouldn’t the 109 key Asian/International layout be the best bet for casual/gaming purposes? In my simplistic view, more buttons is better. Get it with red switches and maybe blank keycaps to avoid confusion if you reprogram keys and you have yourself fun curio.

Obviously for these purposes this is a wildly extravagant purchase at its current price, but am I wrong about the 109 keyboard layout?

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #323 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 12:14:41 »
Quote from: Hazborgufen;498694
In my simplistic view, more buttons is better.

I understand the sentiment, but less buttons means bigger buttons, and bigger buttons are easier to hit. I'm not really into interface design, but if I were I'd probably throw Fitts's Law at you now. ;)

So IMO it boils down to this: if you don't have a good use for the extra buttons you're probably better off with bigger buttons. Personally I own the 105 version, and I think I'd have preferred a mix of the 105 and 109, with extra keys in the num row, but big keys in the bottom row (Alt key on the pictures).

Anyway, either version is a pretty nice keyboard and should work well for gaming too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 12:19:37 by boli »

Offline Hazborgufen

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #324 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 16:11:17 »
Quote from: boli;498742
So IMO it boils down to this: if you don't have a good use for the extra buttons you're probably better off with bigger buttons.

I hear what you are saying, but I'm thinking about this by comparing to a normal keyboard. The bigger Alt and Hyphen buttons on the 104 key layout is quite different compared to similarly located keys on standard keyboard. We're already used to there being smaller Ctrl, Windows, and Alt keys, so the 109 Key layout seems to give you a nice option by keeping Alt the same size and including another key next to it.

Of course, I've never used an ergonomic keyboard before, so the vertical layout and arrangement could make this whole idea moot. Does anyone who has the 109 key layout agree with what I’m saying? I think there were a couple of people who got that layout - Architect and Gerk I think, maybe others.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #325 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 16:44:00 »
Quote from: Hazborgufen;498943
I hear what you are saying, but I'm thinking about this by comparing to a normal keyboard. The bigger Alt and Hyphen buttons on the 104 key layout is quite different compared to similarly located keys on standard keyboard. We're already used to there being smaller Ctrl, Windows, and Alt keys, so the 109 Key layout seems to give you a nice option by keeping Alt the same size and including another key next to it.

Of course, I've never used an ergonomic keyboard before, so the vertical layout and arrangement could make this whole idea moot. Does anyone who has the 109 key layout agree with what I’m saying? I think there were a couple of people who got that layout - Architect and Gerk I think, maybe others.

If you're (more) comfortable with the smaller buttons already then sure, go for it. The staggered columns layout will take some getting used to, but IMO it beats the conventional staggered rows any day. If you're comfortable typing on a num pad (usually matrix, so no stagger at all) you'll be even more comfortable on the TE's staggered columns, if not immediately then in time. And it could change you, conventional keyboards with staggered rows might never feel the same... :)

Speaking of matrix layouts and such, I once put together a list of keyboards with non-staggered rows. I tried 4 of the keyboards listed, and the TE and Kinesis are my favorites. The Kinesis would be even more of a luxury item for gaming, but if you're looking for a comfortable keyboard it should also be on the shortlist IMO. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 16:56:22 by boli »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #326 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 21:24:06 »
I want to buy a TE but it's just too expensive. I know there was a huge discussion about price point a few pages back and I have to throw in with the naysayers. It's a great looking layout and I do really want to try it but it's more than I'm willing to spend sadly. The pre-order price was nice, and I wouldn't mind paying another $25 or so on top of that, but going from $150-180 to $229 is a pretty big jump. I've been staring at the checkout price but can't bring myself to finalize the order. :(
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline RTbar

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #327 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 22:02:23 »
Quote from: oneproduct;499207
I want to buy a TE but it's just too expensive. I know there was a huge discussion about price point a few pages back and I have to throw in with the naysayers. It's a great looking layout and I do really want to try it but it's more than I'm willing to spend sadly. The pre-order price was nice, and I wouldn't mind paying another $25 or so on top of that, but going from $150-180 to $229 is a pretty big jump. I've been staring at the checkout price but can't bring myself to finalize the order. :(

from the looks of your sig you have like 10 keyboards lol, why not just sell one or two to get the TE?

What is the difference between the 104 and 105 version, other than the 105 missing the delete key?

Offline kuato

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #328 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 23:24:40 »
Quote from: boli
Welcome! Yes, a matrix layout will take some getting used to, but you will most likely love it and start thinking that anything else is bad. It took me a little over 2 weeks on the Kinesis to start loving it (and ordering a second one). The TE felt natural immediately because I'm used to matrix layout already.
The TE is a good product, despite the company's shortcomings, I'm hoping they'll release their firmware programming software soon so I can remap it to my liking (and "fix" the Shift key location) and give it a more extensive trial.

Thanks, boli. That's good to hear. The TE might be the most esoteric layout I've purchased to date, so I'm hoping the adjustment won't take long. If/when it arrives, I hope to test drive it a few weeks before I plug it into the work system (though I have some qualms about leaving such a pricey 'board in the office). I briefly owned a Typematrix as well, but didn't take the time to get accustomed to it (didn't want to become unproductive at work trying to re-educate my fingers)... I ended up giving it to someone who had a v1 Typematrix.

Quote from: Architect;498537
Yeah, I use the navigation keys like crazy for programming. Modifiers are incredibly important too, and without the dual symmetric there are keystrokes you really can't perform, or it's difficult to perform many actions. Especially the heavy use of the Control key in text editing (Emacs bindings) and the Terminal. Option is required with the arrow keys for navigation and many other places, and so on. I did once try remapping page up/page down home/end to the corresponding modifiers but it bricked the board, or rather made it un-resettable. Don't know what happened with that, had to send it into the factory to get rechipped.

I've always wanted to give emacs a try, mostly because one can do everything without ever leaving emacs (so I hear). Trying to extend vim to do anything beyond being a good code editor always feels somewhat lacking. However, I usually share the resources of a single Solaris server with many others and emacs can be a real hog in that environment (sigh) Er.. I'm getting off topic.

Since some of you have already received your TEs (I presume the pre-order ones), I was curious whether they send out e-mail messages when the keyboard ships out. So far I've only received an order confirmation and don't see any way to track an order's progress...

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 00:12:56 »
Quote from: RTbar;499238
from the looks of your sig you have like 10 keyboards lol, why not just sell one or two to get the TE?

Sold my Realforce 86U just today, Poker is my portable one, Filco sits at one desk, Leopold sits at another, my brother is using the Noppoo, the Cherry G80 was a donor board to get red switches for my Poker, the TG3 will be going to a friend, probably selling the Kinesis to a member here in a bit and I'm trying to sell the Das but nobody wants it. So everybody there has a reason. :)

It's not that I don't have money, it's that I can't justify paying that much for a TE.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Lanx

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 02:37:13 »
Quote from: boli;498975
The Kinesis would be even more of a luxury item for gaming, but if you're looking for a comfortable keyboard it should also be on the shortlist IMO. :)

the kinesis can be used for FPS too, in a pinch i've used ESDF and it works fine, but WASD is near impossible, due to the keywell. Actually i can find "home" that much faster with the sphericals so it might actually be an advantage, or just get spherical keycaps for homerow.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #331 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 02:55:00 »
Quote from: Lanx;499371
the kinesis can be used for FPS too, in a pinch i've used ESDF and it works fine, but WASD is near impossible, due to the keywell. Actually i can find "home" that much faster with the sphericals so it might actually be an advantage, or just get spherical keycaps for homerow.

Absolutely, and spot on about WASD vs ESDF. I used ESDF even before switching to the Kinesis anyway. With the Advantage I played WoW quite intensively for a couple years, nowadays I play mostly SC2 and Skyrim, and occasionally FPS - we had a game night at work every year for the last few years, where we usually play a lot of UT3 with 10+ people. Fun times.

Something I noticed: When playing games I bottom out a lot (way more than during typing) even though the key travel distance is quite long. At these times I wish the travel was shorter, but I think I wouldn't mind shorter travel for typing too. Looking forward to the upcoming o-ring mod.

BTW does anyone know if the travel distance on a gaming keyboard such as the Razer Blackwidow is also as long as on the Advantage? Is it this way on all Cherry MX switches even?
Update: The wiki suggests mechanical switches usually have longer travel than other switches like rubber domes, so I guess the answer is "yes". The Razer Blackwidow apparently has 4mm travel, with activation at 2mm.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2012, 03:14:14 by boli »

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 09:05:51 »
Yes, all cherry MX switches have the same travel.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline _david

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #333 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 09:54:42 »
I ordered a TE and didn’t get anything but the confirmation that they’ve received the order. Seems they are pretty busy these days.

Anybody ordered as well and got more information?

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #334 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:29:01 »
Quote from: _david;499527
I ordered a TE and didn’t get anything but the confirmation that they’ve received the order. Seems they are pretty busy these days.

Anybody ordered as well and got more information?

They're backed up, as usual. I made a stink and got an answer back, they changed how the keyboards are shipping and so it's taking longer.

FYI I have a Cherry Red and Cherry Blue (both blank 109) coming. I used the old IBM clacky keyboards back in the day (and hated them), I'm curious to try the Cherry click version and the red as well.

Offline _david

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #335 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 02:56:23 »
Thanks for the answer. They’ve sent me a message 6 hours ago that my TE was scheduled for shipping on the same day (26th). I’ll get the 109-key version with browns (for OS X, will use the additional keys for option + control). Looking forward to it, the non-staggered layout really should help me with my left hand.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 05:34:58 »
Quote from: _david;500428
Thanks for the answer. They’ve sent me a message 6 hours ago that my TE was scheduled for shipping on the same day (26th). I’ll get the 109-key version with browns (for OS X, will use the additional keys for option + control). Looking forward to it, the non-staggered layout really should help me with my left hand.

That's what I've got - longtime brown user and will finally be trying out the blues and reds (never wanted to bother with those on a regular keyboard). Use ControllerMate and map the two modifier blocks in the lower right and left, the key above tab in the middle to forward delete, and I put the bracket keys ([],()) in the upper left and the \/ in the upper left.

Stock has an option and control key in the three block at the top, I turned those into F13 and F14.

Offline _david

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #337 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 09:09:36 »
ControllerMate looks good. Thanks for the hint

Offline erw

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 09:45:10 »
I work mostly in a bash+vim all day so anything that minimizes finger travel will be tops.

Say what? Before I got a Kinesis, bash and vim were my tools to minimize finger travel.
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #339 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 23:32:07 »
Gr. I ordered on the 19th and _still_ have no shipping information.

Offline karazi

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #340 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 23:47:43 »
Quote from: obra;501304
Gr. I ordered on the 19th and _still_ have no shipping information.

My mother's Kinesis crapped out so I told her to buy one of these.  She placed an order as soon as they started accepting, and received no information either after over a week.  She demanded a refund and they obliged.  What a joke of a "company," can't even ship a product out on time or provide proper communication to their customers.

Offline hoggy

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #341 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 01:38:41 »
For the small difference in price she might as well get another kinesis - at least it will save her the adjustment period.

With a little care and attention - another 10% of effort and TE could be a great company to deal with.  A few replies, a phone number and an address, add principles and openness...

They can communicate with their customers, they just chose not to.  They are pretty good at deleting comments on the facebook page - deleted a few of mine happily enough.  

Admittedly I've turned into somesort of facebook troll and pointed out that "100% of the keys" is a bit misleading.  They responded saying that it's clear because the 104 model is the equiv. of a 104 keyboard.  I responded (I never learn, obviously) that it should be called the model 84.  At which point they hit the nuclear option.

All of this took place while they couldn't be bothered to email your mother about her order.  So it's my fault for distracting them.  Please pass my apologies to her.

I think the product is good, but the company isn't.  If it was sold by a company that respects it's customers, then I would have bought one by now.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #342 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 04:10:29 »
Yeah, I have to agree with the comments here about TE.

Now obviously I'm a fan of the keyboard. I LOVE the keyboard, I've got three brown 109s, with a few more coming including a red and a blue. Check out my thread on TECK notes, the keyboard mapping I've settled on is similar to stock as I've realized that the stock mapping is nearly the best. This is the ideal mapping for a programmer, and to somebody who uses a keyboard as much as a programmer this is as close to heaven as we're going to get. I've gone beyond getting used to it, and now my work productivity has improved, I'm at least 10% more productive than before and I'm expecting even greater gains still. This is due to greater agility with text handling, less mouse usage (and my little remaining RSI has disappeared), and greater ease with using the modifier keys. Sorry folks, no other keyboard has this ease of use with text and modifier handling, and is this easy on the hands.

As a company, they totally blow. Little communication, huge gaps between what they say and what they do, and a bland corporate exterior which attempts to print they are a old brick and mortar company (this is the 21st century!) while obviously it's the wife handling the front end. I ordered a in stock keyboard weeks ago that still hasn't come, and the ones from the week before, which were promised to ship soon last week (after I emailed a stink) still haven't shipped (and there were supposed to go right away) I had thought that this would improve once the keyboards shipped, I'm coming to conclude that it's the MO. I was just going to send a hot letter this morning when I got up because I want those in stock keyboards to ship, or at least I want an update. Gahhhh ...

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #343 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 04:29:29 »
Quote from: Architect;501402
[snip]I've realized that the stock mapping is nearly the best. This is the ideal mapping for a programmer, and to somebody who uses a keyboard as much as a programmer this is as close to heaven as we're going to get. I've gone beyond getting used to it, and now my work productivity has improved, I'm at least 10% more productive than before and I'm expecting even greater gains still. This is due to greater agility with text handling, less mouse usage (and my little remaining RSI has disappeared), and greater ease with using the modifier keys. Sorry folks, no other keyboard has this ease of use with text and modifier handling, and is this easy on the hands. [snip]

These kind of absolute statements sound about as credible as when they wrote that the TE is better than a Maltron, Kinesis or Datahand, with no further explanation or study to back it up, nor a reply to a question about it... I'm glad you love the TE, and I like a lot about it too (also dislike a few things), but I don't think it's the best keyboard ever. I can think of a few plus points and a few negative points when comparing it to the Advantage (which happens to be my favorite keyboard from the ones I've tried so far), so I can accept that some people might prefer one or the other.

Can you give an example of something that works much better for you on the TE than the Advantage? In my mind the Kinesis bowls and thumb keys provide a very good basic setup, which can (possibly should) be adjusted to one's needs. I guess the main complaint about the Advantage might be that it has less keys than the 109 TE, so you can't have the dual symmetric modifiers you crave without sacrificing some other potentially important keys (e.g. I sacrificed Caps Lock to get an extra Enter key for the left hand, which is handy when the right hand is on the mouse).
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 04:49:28 by boli »

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #344 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 04:52:17 »
Quote from: boli;501406
These kind of absolute statements sound about as credible as when they wrote that the TE is better than a Maltron, Kinesis or Datahand, with no further explanation or study to back it up, nor a reply to a question about it... I'm glad you love the TE, and I like a lot about it too (also dislike a few things), but I don't think it's the best keyboard ever. I can think of a few plus points and a few negative points when comparing it to the Advantage (which happens to be my favorite keyboard from the ones I've tried so far), so I can accept that some people might prefer one or the other.

I'm obviously spouting my own opinions, you've got your own and obviously everybody can make up their own mind on the matter, I don't see what credibility has to do with it so I don't need a nanny talk thanks. Also please don't compare them to me, I've stated on this board in multiple places why I believe it is the best keyboard for a programmer, if you have disagreement with those statements bring up specifics.

Sorry if I sound testy but the keyboard has had a huge positive benefit in my life, and I like to write about how happy I am in one place where people actually care about keyboards. I can't even talk about keyboards with my programming friends and colleagues - nobody cares. Guy next to me who bangs away 8 hours a day is on the crappiest Microsoft Natural keyboard in the world. Looks like a piece of ****, dirty ...

Edit: Ah, you edited your post while I was writing a reply. OK here's why I like the TE over the Kinesis

• Size - the Kinesis barely fits on my keyboard tray (I need a graphics tablet, side hotkey keyboard, trackpad, and mouse). The Kinesis is so high that it prevents me from using a low profile boom arm for my voice recognition microphone, necessitating a overhead boom arm which blocks the screen. This means that I have to pull the overhead arm out when I want to use voice recognition, which means that I don't do it as often, which means using the hands instead of the voice. With the low profile TE the voice recognition is always available (the quality of the mic makes  a HUGE difference)
  • TE - dual symmetric arrow blocks!  As close to the home position as possible. I use eight fingers to navigate - WITH THE PINKIES AVAILABLE FOR CRITICAL Option (Mac) and Control (Win) modifier with the arrows for word jumps. This is huge! On the Kinesis it's four fingers for one blocks, the other is two thumbs which share modifier duty.
  • TE - dual symmetric modifier blocks! And a thumb Command/Control left spacebar. This is huge, there are so many times where I need a modifier in the other hand, or a combination of modifier keys (Command-Option, Command-Shift, Command-Shift-Option) which is difficult on the Kinesis. If it takes longer than a quarter second (say) then I won't make the key combination, and just use the mouse instead. I complained about this once to a Kinesis rep, he just came back at me and said why he thought it was the greatest keyboard on the planet. "But it only has ONE control key and ONE modifier key", didn't register with him. Anyhow, in OS X Terminal (where I do significant work) I need the emacs bindings for the bash shell and emacs (Git source control management) and need full access to the control key. When running VMWare I need full access to control and Alt, and need Command, Shift and Option full access when in Cocoa.
  • Kinesis Bowls - plus and a minus. On the plus side they provide easier hand centering, but that matters little I think. As a pianist I get very little guidance from the piano keyboard (other than the 3D black keys) and have to do huge hand shifts in a millisecond, and it goes fine. I've adjusted to that on the TE, though I had difficulty for a while. The negative with the bowls is that they encourage you to rest the palms while typing, which my ergo dept keeps warning about and for me causes pain. I can't stop from doing it either, actually considered putting sandpaper (upright) on the rests to remind me (this was an idea from the ergo dept., who have worked with a lot of kinesis users)
  • Kinesis function keys. Little rubber erasers. Enough said.
  • Thumb keys, the Kinesis has 12, I'm regularly using 15 (the center row and bottom row minus the modifiers) on the TE without trouble.
  • Dual hand, I can drink with one hand and take action (start a build, start a debug session) with the other on the TE. Couldn't manage that on the Kinesis due to the layout, the bowls and the non dual symmetric modifier blocks. I'm doing this a lot again (I used to do this when I had a regular keyboard) on the TE, gave up the habit when I was on the Kinesis. Me, programmer, must drink tea .... :)
  • TAB KEY. The tab key is all important, used in programming, used in program switching. On the TE it's in the center and usable by both hands and the thumb with a half inch or inch hand movement. On the Kinesis (as all other keyboards) it's relegated off to the side. One hand, only the pinky. The center keys on the TE are equivalent to dual symmetric - meaning they are usable by both hands but you don't need two blocks due to the placement.
  • BRACKET KEYS. The all important bracket keys (to a programmer). If I had a penny for every time I hit (,[ or {. On the TE these are easy to get to and all near by, these keys are used not just in programming but in navigating tabs in OS X, for example (With the Command key, or Shift Command). The Kinesis relegates these to the lower corners, harder to get to. In 15 years of use I still have to pause and look to get them.
  • Kinesis - curved circuit board is less solid and stable feeling than the metal plate TE.
  • Kinesis, the firmware probably hasn't been changed in 20 years. I've had issues with it, I hate the beep when doing a caps lock or any operation, I've locked it up (a rare occurrence but it did happen to me), and I've had two other Advantages that just died and needed to go back to the factory. Time will tell with the TE, but I have zero doubt they'll release the firmware with reprogramming software as promised. Additionally, you have access to the original chip manufactures dev kit. The ultimate hackers keyboard, you can do whatever you want with this. Want in keyboard macros? With a little bit of programming you can do that now.
  • Price, Advantage Pro is 320, TE is 220
  • Key switch availability, can get brown, red and blue on the TE, only brown on the Kinesis.
  • Blank keycaps - can get these on the TE! I love it, I never look at the keyboard, I love my stealth look, I've always disliked the goofy keycap prints (especially the attempts at icons on media keys)
  • Options - six on the TE, 3 on the Kinesis (black, white and metallic with more memory, mostly cosmetic frankly, which is important because the non metallic Kinesis pick up a lot of plastic crud in my experience).
  • Hand separation - I don't see this. The bent TE design, in what, a month or nearly of typing and my RSI has gone down. The separated design of the Kinesis wasn't that great an advantage and took up tons of precious desk space. It also pushes the mouse/trackpad further away, a big no no.
  • Kinesis has a footpedal. Doesn't matter to me, I find pedals hard to use (not fast enough for me) and the Kinesis design squeaks and is hard to use generally (I've heard this from others and in reviews) There is a new foot pedal design out, check out XKeys, I'd like to check out. Purports to be easier to use. But with ControllerMate and a pedal on the mac at least you can use a pedal with the TE if you wish.
  • Keyboard cover - Kinesis does't have one, the TE does
  • Wrist rest. Removable on the TE, not on the Kinesis without a dremil (which I considered)
  • Center space - a lot of wasted real estate on the Kinesis in the center. A few people have modded it, I haven't managed to do anything, too busy to mess with it. They should do a Maltron key block there IMO. I perched trackpads and track mice there in the past but it's too damn uncomfortable. The Kinesis, by separating the hands, takes the wrong road in my opinion. Mousing needs to be straight out from the body, not keyboarding. I'm happier with a central bent design keyboard. When I mouse - more hand damaging than keyboarding in my experience, it does much better when the hand is straight. For navigation at least, you want the trackpad or mouse parallel with the screen if possible, and on the Kinesis that space is taken up with key wells.

• Crud. I don't want to share what I've dug out of my Kinesis, and you'd be surprised what makes it into the main body of the keyboard after 10 years of banging away. Not possible with the tight seams and key well design of the TE.
  • Kinesis has a USB hub. If I recall this was added about 10 years ago, and rather poorly if I recall. They just punched a round hole in the body and mounted the hub. Doesn't add anything to the keyboard, I'd rather have the board be a board, and my hub external if it craps out.
  • Compatability, to this day I have trouble with the Kinesis and OS X. I have a lot of computers running around here, about six or 10 macs, and they nearly all have trouble with the Kinesis (but none with the TE so far). Wake from sleep, goofy this, goofy that. Kinesis blames Apple. Maybe so, but Kinesis is the smaller company and should get it to work with them IMO.
  • Double shift caps lock. This is an old, old, old standard. On the Kinesis if I hit both shifts accidentally the keyboard goes into caps lock. I forget what I found about this, maybe it's the operating system, but it's annoying. Doesn't happen on the TE, and frequently happens on the Kinesis to me frequently, indicating it's the keyboard. Maybe it can be turned off, not that I recall however.
  • on the plus side, Kinesis customer service kicks TE's ass

There's more but I need to get some work done, look at my key mapping in the TECH Notes thread, I still have two thumb keys to decide what to do with. Thanks for the discussion.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 06:00:11 by Architect »

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #345 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 05:14:23 »
Ah, you edited your post while I was writing a reply.

Aye, sorry I have a tendency to do that, often times I notice I didn't say what I meant to say on the first try, and the first version sounded harsher than it was supposed to. Cheers for your reply, going to read it in depth now. :)

Updated:
Thanks for the detailed list, that's the kind of back up I was hoping for. The previous post sounded more like marketing to me with its many absolutes/superlatives and phrases like at least 10% more productive, if you don't mind me saying. :)

the keyboard has had a huge positive benefit in my life
Excellent, happy to read it.

I like to write about how happy I am in one place where people actually care about keyboards. I can't even talk about keyboards with my programming friends and colleagues - nobody cares. Guy next to me who bangs away 8 hours a day is on the crappiest Microsoft Natural keyboard in the world.
I can relate, very few of my colleagues have interest in keyboards and such - some have enough to want to try out the TE and Advantage and liking some unusual key cap setups, but by and large they don't care either.

Now I'm often wondering how I can improve my own setup, and GH is a cool place to pick up ideas (and spreading one's own), hence my asking for examples. Let's see:
  • Size: Aye the cost of the 3D bowls is keyboard size, personally I have enough space for the extra width not to be a problem; having a flatter keyboard would make some things easier though. As it is I can't have the keyboard and mouse in an ergonomically optimal position, it's one or the other - as it is both are good enough but not perfect.
  • Dual symmetric arrow blocks: I haven't missed them, as I have all arrows on the bottom left (see custom layout in sig) to be used with the 4 fingers, while the thumb is free to press Option to jump words or press Ctrl or Command to jump to the start or end of lines. The latter makes me not use Home/End, but it sucks that it's not always the same key, but depends on the program instead (I guess that's an OS X thing, Cocoa vs Carbon etc).
  • Dual symmetric modifier blocks: Interesting that you don't list Ctrl in the combinations. This matches my experience: while I do want/need Command and Option on both sides of the keyboard, I am fine with Ctrl just on the left side (as a thumb key that is! I don't think it would work for me if it were a pinky key). I see you do need easy access to Ctrl for Emacs - fair enough, I don't use Emacs. When I use Windows (mostly booted into for games, not in a VM) I have to swap Command and Ctrl.
  • Kinesis bowls: I like them a lot, though I think I could easily adjust to something flat like the TE, as long as I don't miss the thumb clusters. So thumb keys are definitely more important to me than the bowls. Would love to test something like the flat Maltron or the Ergo Dox to verify. As to the negative point I agree, I also do rest my hands on the wrist rests while typing, though I'm fortunate in that it doesn't cause me pain. With Colemak I don't have to stretch as often as with QWERTY, given roughly two thirds of the keys strokes are in the home row.
  • Kinesis function keys: Yes they suck, would much prefer an extra row of real keys on top of the bowls, with the special keys for remapping/num pad toggling etc maybe in the middle. It's a shame that the TE moved the F# keys away from the main typing area as well though, but at least it has proper switches for them.
  • Thumb keys, the Kinesis has 12, I'm regularly using 15: Hmm, that sounds like a bit of a stretch (pun intended). :) Do you really press Home, RightArrow or `~ with your thumbs? Sadly my TE is at work, so I can't give it a try, but I figure when doing so you'd have to move away from the home position too much. Personally I think I'd use left or right ring finger or either index finger for the 3 far keys I listed. Without having worked on the TE for a month (so take with a grain of salt) I think I could comfortable use the innermost keys of the movements clusters, both space bars as well as the two bottommost keys of the center row, which would be 6 thumb keys. If you say it's comfortable to use more than these I'm quite surprised.
  • Dual hand: Hmm, I don't do that, not sure I have before switching. To drink I use my right hand, but it's sip and put down again (water and coffee with too much milk BTW).
Thanks for the discussion as well. :) I saw your current layout in the other thread.

Update 2: Holy smokes you've been busy adding a lot more... :) Might reply to it later, gotta do some other stuff. :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 06:36:47 by boli »

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #346 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 07:20:48 »
Yeah, we were dual post editing ninjas there for a while :smile:. Obviously I don't know if I'm exactly 10% more productive, I do know I'm more productive and would just put it around there and I think it will continue as I learn to rely more on the modifiers and get used to the keyboard. I'm practicing to make that happen in fact. This morning I'm particularly happy because I'm so farking faster than before. This is HUGE. I'm less tired, I get more done, I get into the flow easier and stay there. For me the old style keyboards, well like I say I don't know why anybody types on them. I guess if you're not a heavy keyboard user - like a programmer - it's not so important and familiarity is important. The Kinesis saved my hands and arms 15 years ago, and was 100% improvement from the old keyboards, but it held me back. With the TE I'm flying, but I just wish the stewardess and pilot weren't so rude :smile:

At any rate the Kinesis is a fine board that served me well for many years.

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #347 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 10:16:57 »
Quote from: Architect;501415
  • Kinesis, the firmware probably hasn't been changed in 20 years. I've had issues with it, I hate the beep when doing a caps lock or any operation
I'm starting to doubt you are a long time Kinesis user. The firmware has changed several times, I have 3 different generations (there are more) and all of them have noticeable firmware differences (newer generations have newer functions added). Also the Caps Lock beep can be turned off for crying out loud.. Just hit Pgm and the - key right under it. It's in the manual.

• Price, Advantage Pro is 320, TE is 220
Here we go again. The TE first of all is not $220 but $229, and over $250 shipped. And you shouldn't compare the most expensive Kinesis to the cheapest TE, it doesn't matter that you prefer the metallic finish. If you take extremes the other way around, regular Advantage is $269 shipped, TE with reds shipped is what, $280 ?

• Key switch availability, can get brown, red and blue on the TE, only brown on the Kinesis.
Nope, Kinesis is available with brown and red.

• Options - six on the TE, 3 on the Kinesis
You forgot the LF, so it's 4 options, plus they have international configurations I believe.

• Kinesis has a USB hub. If I recall this was added about 10 years ago, and rather poorly if I recall. They just punched a round hole in the body and mounted the hub.
Hello, any case needs an opening if you want to add connectors to it. That applies to any device with a USB hub. Are you complaining about the hole shape or what? What a whiner!!! I've used the hub, it works fine and the connectors feel very secure.

Doesn't add anything to the keyboard, I'd rather have the board be a board, and my hub external if it craps out.

You don't have to use the hub if you have no need for it, it's not a con.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2012, 23:44:09 by sordna »

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #348 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 10:41:50 »
By the way, please take the above as a gratuitous code review and remove / adjust the relevant bullets on your TECK notes thread, I don't want to be posting there too if I can avoid it. Specifically, bullets about firmware and USB hub should be removed, the other points I mentioned need adjustments.

thanks.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #349 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 11:31:44 »
Saw the TEK notes topic, so I lifted my comment out of there (I almost hit the "post" button)
Quote from: Architect;501439
  • TE - dual symmetric arrow blocks! As close to the home position as possible. I use eight fingers to navigate - WITH THE PINKIES AVAILABLE FOR CRITICAL Option (Mac) and Control (Win) modifier with the arrows for word jumps. This is huge! On the Kinesis it's four fingers for one blocks, the other is two thumbs which share modifier duty.
I have this on my access. It does seem pretty useful that way. I sometimes wish more keyboards would have this.

• TE - dual symmetric modifier blocks! And a thumb Command/Control left spacebar. This is huge, there are so many times where I need a modifier in the other hand, or a combination of modifier keys (Command-Option, Command-Shift, Command-Shift-Option) which is difficult on the Kinesis. If it takes longer than a quarter second (say) then I won't make the key combination, and just use the mouse instead. I complained about this once to a Kinesis rep, he just came back at me and said why he thought it was the greatest keyboard on the planet. "But it only has ONE control key and ONE modifier key", didn't register with him. Anyhow, in OS X Terminal (where I do significant work) I need the emacs bindings for the bash shell and emacs (Git source control management) and need full access to the control key. When running VMWare I need full access to control and Alt, and need Command, Shift and Option full access when in Cocoa.
I am still getting used to the modifiers on a kinesis. I'm sort-of having a problem with my /? =+ and -_ keys, as they're in non-intuitive places for a dvorak user. (question mark is like at the bottom). Any idea where I should remap it to? I also have trouble hitting "alt" with the kinesis. I wish there were another key next to the backspace.

Ofcourse the kinesis I'm using has no winkey at all, and I really like having two control/alt.

• Kinesis Bowls - plus and a minus. On the plus side they provide easier hand centering, but that matters little I think. As a pianist I get very little guidance from the piano keyboard (other than the 3D black keys) and have to do huge hand shifts in a millisecond, and it goes fine. I've adjusted to that on the TE, though I had difficulty for a while. The negative with the bowls is that they encourage you to rest the palms while typing, which my ergo dept keeps warning about and for me causes pain. I can't stop from doing it either, actually considered putting sandpaper (upright) on the rests to remind me (this was an idea from the ergo dept., who have worked with a lot of kinesis users)
Aha! I don't have this issue, with my standing desk. I have two keyboard positions. In the upper one, I'd only rest the very edge of my palms on the kinesis. I'm trying the sower position now, and I only rest my fingers. It's awesome.

• Kinesis function keys. Little rubber erasers. Enough said.
I've still not got around to using them I don't think I could bear it. I just move my hand up to my unicomp for that purpose.

• TAB KEY. The tab key is all important, used in programming, used in program switching. On the TE it's in the center and usable by both hands and the thumb with a half inch or inch hand movement. On the Kinesis (as all other keyboards) it's relegated off to the side. One hand, only the pinky. The center keys on the TE are equivalent to dual symmetric - meaning they are usable by both hands but you don't need two blocks due to the placement.
I think if I ever got a kinesis of my own, I'd add some useful keys to the middle.

You forgot: kinesis comes in red as the "LF" version. Technically speaking, this isn't a problem with availability, as with some time (or pay a GH'er to do it) you can put any cherry switch on it pretty easily. I do think that's just an issue with the wording, as you certainly can buy a TE premade in one more switch: blue

• Keyboard cover - Kinesis does't have one, the TE does

Thank God, I hate those things.

• Wrist rest. Removable on the TE, not on the Kinesis without a dremil (which I considered)
Not a bother with my standing desk.

• Crud. I don't want to share what I've dug out of my Kinesis, and you'd be surprised what makes it into the main body of the keyboard after 10 years of banging away. Not possible with the tight seams and key well design of the TE.
I don't think this is as much a good argument as your other ones (which have been consistently good, I just don't agree with them for my purposes). My access's are pretty airtight, and I pulled a LOT of crud out from under the keycaps. It was stuck between the keycaps and plate. I think of keyboards getting dirty as a fact of life. If I have to pull it out of the bottom of the keyboard by opening it up or if I have to get it out from between the keycaps and plate, it's all the same. Your TE will get dirts too, in time. Still, I may be wrong. We both may be wrong. It's really to early to tell. For refrence, there's some fantastic pictures in the Access topic.

• Compatability, to this day I have trouble with the Kinesis and OS X. I have a lot of computers running around here, about six or 10 macs, and they nearly all have trouble with the Kinesis (but none with the TE so far). Wake from sleep, goofy this, goofy that. Kinesis blames Apple. Maybe so, but Kinesis is the smaller company and should get it to work with them IMO.

I don't know about this: Apple is about as workable with other stuff as SUN. I'm really surprised to find USB ports on the back of ours. While I agree that if there's some issue, Kinesis should find and fix it, but Apple seems to exist to make thing more difficult for everyone else. This is one of my many gripes with apple, and why I don't plan on buying from them.

That said, anyone want my mac pro?

• Double shift caps lock. This is an old, old, old standard. On the Kinesis if I hit both shifts accidentally the keyboard goes into caps lock. I forget what I found about this, maybe it's the operating system, but it's annoying. Doesn't happen on the TE, and frequently happens on the Kinesis to me frequently, indicating it's the keyboard. Maybe it can be turned off, not that I recall however.

When I heard about this (hitting both shifts to get into capslock) I thought it was the best idea ever. It made so much sense! Sadly, it doesn't work for me. Maybe they added it later? maybe it's linux? Maybe it's my adapter?

I guess the point is: some of these concerns are alleviated with a standing desk. Most of the others are preference. I don't think arguments about your desk or work area are really about the kinesis. It's possible to get desks that have larger keyboard trays that will fit everything you need. I see how the taller kinesis might not work with the one you have, but it is possible to get one that will.

Me, I wish I had another 6" on my desk (which is 5 feet long) so my headphone stand will fit on there better, but I don't think it's an issue with my headphone stand. I could move my "standing desk" (which takes up about 2 feet, as a pile of stuff propping up my laptop)somewhere else, but I don't hav the room in my apartment. That's not a problem with the standing desk.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is: some of your arguments aren't really issues with the kinesis, but with your application of it. This means that clearly it's not for everyone. To type this post (with a lot of arguments) I am using my unicomp, as I can type a lot faster with it, so I won't forget my train of thought. Thanks for the wirteup. There's a lot of things to consider here, and I think it will be really helpful for people wanting to know which keyboard is better for them.