Author Topic: Minimizing Spacebar Sound  (Read 7730 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Minimizing Spacebar Sound
« on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:24:59 »
I have a Poker with MX-Black switches and I tend to really smack the spacebar and I'm looking for ways to minimize the sound. I added three 50A-R O-Rings, the black ones, and that didn't seem to help much. I'm still getting a plastic like slap.

This isn't a unique or different sound from what I'm accustomed to with the SP spacebar, just one I've finally decided to do something about. I may just have to take the keyboard out of the case and look under the key cap to see  what causes it, but that would take work, so I figured I'd ask here instead.  :p

Any suggestions?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Minimizing Spacebar Sound
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 00:28:27 »
I have a Poker with MX-Black switches and I tend to really smack the spacebar and I'm looking for ways to minimize the sound. I added three 50A-R O-Rings, the black ones, and that didn't seem to help much. I'm still getting a plastic like slap.

This isn't a unique or different sound from what I'm accustomed to with the SP spacebar, just one I've finally decided to do something about. I may just have to take the keyboard out of the case and look under the key cap to see  what causes it, but that would take work, so I figured I'd ask here instead.  :p

Any suggestions?

the black rings doesn't dampen much at all.. and You should record the mysterious "slap sound".. I've not heard any spacebar sound described as you have.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 00:40:20 »
Try a heavier spring imo. I smack my spacebar too (only key I bottom out on), but it makes a nice solid sound. Maybe it's the upside down thick PBT? :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 02:43:50 »
Try a heavier spring imo. I smack my spacebar too (only key I bottom out on), but it makes a nice solid sound. Maybe it's the upside down thick PBT? :p

upside down doesn't change the sound from my experience..

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 02:49:49 »
Could the concave bar be serving to amplify the noise?  Maybe stuff some noise dampening foam or something in it and see if it quiets it? 

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 08:17:05 »
I'm using a stack of o-rings (but I have an OEM-profile aluminum spacebar at the moment): a fat o-ring, followed by a 50A thin o-ring.  I also add small squares of teflon tape into the spacebar stems.  All helps to dampen the sound of metal quite a bit, where it mostly just sounds like a soft thump in normal use.   Some combination of that is probably good for plastic too.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:10:58 »
I just got in some MX-Grey switches, so I'll be taking apart my Poker this week and swapping it out. When I do, I'll take a closer look at exactly what is causing the sound.

I think it's just the sound the spacebar makes, coupled with the Cherry stabilizers, but I'll take some video too to see if  I can better identify the cause of the sound.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:23:56 »
I just got in some MX-Grey switches, so I'll be taking apart my Poker this week and swapping it out. When I do, I'll take a closer look at exactly what is causing the sound.

I think it's just the sound the spacebar makes, coupled with the Cherry stabilizers, but I'll take some video too to see if  I can better identify the cause of the sound.

try clipping your stabilizers.  It makes it feel and sound much more like costar stabilizers.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 03:53:46 »
Did you also put O-rings on the stabilizer contact points? I have red O-rings and it just makes a thock sound, and it would be still loud if I only put a ring on the center one.

Offline Johan

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 05:51:37 »
If it was costar stabs then I would be concerned with bent stabilizers, but with cherry, I guess your best bet would be getting a heavier spring and stop smashing the key. Also, could someone redirect me to a guide on fixing costar stabs?
Uh, stuff.

Offline mattics

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 02:59:01 »
My Poker (also with blacks) also has a quite loud space bar, but I find the noise seems to be on the way back up rather than the initial slap. I release the space bar quite quickly so it gets the full force of a black thrusting it triumphantly into the air, until it hits the top of the switch and sounds out a plasticy slap.

If I can find my soldering iron I will change the switches around on the space bar to see what different switches sound like.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 07:55:14 »
They are cherry stabilizers and the sound is on the down stroke and is not a slapback. My schedule has changed, so I won't be able to play with changing out the switch and testing a few things until next weekend.  :-[

I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions though. Keep them coming!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 12:50:01 »

Swapped out the MX-Black with an MX-Grey and that definitely solved the issue. It's not a much more solid "thunk" which matches the best the rest of the keys.

I bottom out when I type and the spacebar is not exception. Now that I've been typing on the board for a week it has a very consistent and solid feel, which I like very much.

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions and ideas.