Author Topic: [IC] GMK Neon City (Kitting done, more renders!)  (Read 70246 times)

Offline cecioclock

Re: [IC] GMK Neon City (New Progress!)
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 02:31:56 »
I love it. Laser is so much different from this set, it’s a shame people treat a a good handful of different colors as “the same.”
There are a lot of color combinations/arrangements to a particular theme, just like how similar songs exist in the same genre!
Do you have thoughts on Korean sublegend alphas, as well, by any chance? <3

Offline KanyeMidEast

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 05:54:44 »
Any update with this? Also MiTo just released a deskmat that looks really similar to yours, I’m kinda wondering if he stole the idea from you as usually he doesn’t use buildings and your desk mat render was getting a lot of love. Idk either way this set looks amazing and I hope you’re still working on it !

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 08:24:47 »
Any update with this? Also MiTo just released a deskmat that looks really similar to yours, I’m kinda wondering if he stole the idea from you as usually he doesn’t use buildings and your desk mat render was getting a lot of love. Idk either way this set looks amazing and I hope you’re still working on it !

I can unfortunately only update that there won't be any updates in the next few weeks, the reason behind it is, that i'll move.

Also i am still waiting for the last render, and hope that this will soon be done.

Offline Space_Case88

• keebs, anime, video games and coffee
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 13:53:13 »
Oh geez, This will look so good next to my Analog Dreams.

Offline KEYGEM

• * Vendor
    • KEYGEM Online Shop
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 14:58:07 »
Looking forwards to the updates and renders :)

Offline Havattack

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 14:35:31 »
I wasn't a big fan of Desk mat for this set, so i cobbled together a few of my own if anyone's wants the pics. There are several websites that will make you a custom desk pad for like 40$. You just upload them the pic, and they'll ship it to you (i've used the website "inked gaming" myself, and was very happy with results).
Anywho, i just found these images online (mostly wallpapers) and just resized them to the correct ascpect (35x16) and edited some, i have a few more if anyone wants me to post them.

Offline x1angel

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:48:06 »
I wasn't a big fan of Desk mat for this set, so i cobbled together a few of my own if anyone's wants the pics. There are several websites that will make you a custom desk pad for like 40$. You just upload them the pic, and they'll ship it to you (i've used the website "inked gaming" myself, and was very happy with results).
Anywho, i just found these images online (mostly wallpapers) and just resized them to the correct ascpect (35x16) and edited some, i have a few more if anyone wants me to post them.
I do want these to be my deskmat so much, those are incredible. Wish I could have those with highres quality. The problem is what shop could be able to print these pics with precise colors, I couldn't find.

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Havattack

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 20:35:41 »
I do want these to be my deskmat so much, those are incredible. Wish I could have those with highres quality. The problem is what shop could be able to print these pics with precise colors, I couldn't find.

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

I've had great luck with "inkedgaming"'s custom mat's (or at least I've been very happy with it.)
For my Yuri set, i uploaded them this very pic ( i don't think it's all that more hirez then the others i posted, but i'm not the most knowledgeable) and i think the result is awesome. (The mat is a little dirty) I did pay the extra 15$ for "professional editing" but i honesty think it's probably pointless as long as you upload a pic with the proper proportions, and all the pics i posted are all ready in the correct proportions for a 35" x 16" desk mat.  Last one is a close up.

I have one more example i had them make me, of a really grainy lo quality image, and i think it still looks pretty good, if you want me to post some pics of it, i will. (I think i still have the original pic i uploaded for it..)
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2020, 20:39:57 by Havattack »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 13:59:13 »
Maybe some common neon signs would be a cool idea for novelty keys? Moon symbols and English? The only English ones i can think of though are "open," "closed," and the only cool one:That girl silhouette outside strip clubs that's blinks, making it look like she's dancing. Are there common Japanese/Chinese/Korean neon signs that would work?

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 15:02:27 »
Maybe some common neon signs would be a cool idea for novelty keys? Moon symbols and English? The only English ones i can think of though are "open," "closed," and the only cool one:That girl silhouette outside strip clubs that's blinks, making it look like she's dancing. Are there common Japanese/Chinese/Korean neon signs that would work?

As you have already triggered the bump, i thought i may also give an update.

My personal stuff is so far almost done, i successfully moved.
The renders are finalized, the kitting is also done (unless there is really a huge uprising in a specific kit, there will only be 3 kits!)

So stay tuned, i hope i can create the update in about a week.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 19:28:59 »

The renders are finalized, the kitting is also done (unless there is really a huge uprising in a specific kit, there will only be 3 kits!)

I realize it's probably too late for any of this, but..
Any chance on making the alphas separate from the modifiers, so i don't have to buy the entire "base" kit when I'm only going to be using the Katakana/hiragana sublegend alphas..?
(and an all modifier (blue) color F-row would be pretty cool, i don't know why people think alternating the color of the f-row clusters looks good.)

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 05:40:21 »

I realize it's probably too late for any of this, but..
Any chance on making the alphas separate from the modifiers, so i don't have to buy the entire "base" kit when I'm only going to be using the Katakana/hiragana sublegend alphas..?
(and an all modifier (blue) color F-row would be pretty cool, i don't know why people think alternating the color of the f-row clusters looks good.)

With the seperate kit for the alphas is a Katakana Monolegend set planned, which can be bought without the modifiers, so that shoult work for you.

In terms of F-Row, i will not make any changes there in the basekit and leave it 'traditional'.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 14:32:13 »
Awesome, and no biggy on the traditional F-row, I'm probably the only one that feels that way (or it wouldn't be so common a design choice), I''ll just put it on a 65%.

Offline SoraNoTenshi

Re: [IC] GMK Neon City (Kitting done, more renders!)
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 15:11:33 »
New update is now there!

Kitting is done, yes only 3 kits.
NorDeUk is not happening because the Katakana Monolegends have full support for iso (mixed with the Base Kit!)
40s / Ortho is also not happening, but frequently used keys are part of the novelties kit!!

Katakana Monolegends have seperate spacebars to support mixing! I am sure many of you might like the alpha design but not so much the full kit, so mixing is done easily and efficiently with the katakana kit!

I hope i can somewhat revive the hype. :)

Offline Havattack

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 16:50:05 »
Mono over sub... lame as all hell. I could not be more disappointed...sigh,bummer. .. Oh well, always other sets in the pipe line! Have fun guys.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2020, 23:31:51 by Havattack »

Offline econeuler

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:18:37 »
New update is now there!

NorDeUk is not happening because the Katakana Monolegends have full support for iso (mixed with the Base Kit!)
40s / Ortho is also not happening, but frequently used keys are part of the novelties kit!!

Katakana Monolegends have seperate spacebars to support mixing! I am sure many of you might like the alpha design but not so much the full kit, so mixing is done easily and efficiently with the katakana kit!

Nice update, and I like the Katakana Monolegends!  :thumb:
Although, it would be nice for us 40s users not to have to buy the full base kit! This would be possible with a slightly larges novelties kit?

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:30:45 »
New update is now there!

Although, it would be nice for us 40s users not to have to buy the full base kit! This would be possible with a slightly larges novelties kit?

Which 40s keys are missing?

I believe u can buy Katakana Monos + Novelties and you should be covered with 40s... i think..

Offline econeuler

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:51:26 »
New update is now there!

Which 40s keys are missing?

I believe u can buy Katakana Monos + Novelties and you should be covered with 40s... i think..

It covers with the number of keys, and if a 2u is added I think it covers most 40s, although I'm not sure since I use mostly orthos.
Other than that it's just if you want the same colors on the modifiers. E.g., blue keys around the alphas. But if you use the alphas for row 1-4, and spice it up with the mods you are ok :)

Offline KFOXE

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 20:28:29 »
Katakana monologends look better than I thought they would. Any ideas/updates on an artisan key? Hoping for a Canadian vendor.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 07:12:26 »
Hi there! I have a few suggestions for your kits:

Base kit:
Show Image

• Change 1.25u Code keys to Super for consistency.

• Add a second R4 1u Alt key. Without it, the 1.5u Super keys can't really be used.
    • Alternatively, if you don't want to add the second Alt, change the 1u Super keys to Code. That way, 2× 1u Code and 2× 1.5u Super can be used together to cover Mac and OG HHKB bottom rows. But this is likely the less preferable option for most people; it's probably better to just add the second Alt.

• Change the R4 1u \| ISO key to <> in order to avoid duplicate keys. See here for more details.

• If you don't want to offer a separate spacebars kit (which I would recommend), consider including 2.75u, 2.25u and 2u spacekeys in base. See GMK Tea Witch's base kit for an example.
    • However, seeing as your base kit is already pretty large, offering a separate spacebars kit is likely the better option. It would also allow you to offer accent-colored 6.25u and 7u spacebars.

Katakana Monolegends:
Show Image

• This kit is missing a R1 1u key. This character is a Japanese prolonged sound mark. See here for more details. Also, here are two examples of kits that have this key (the same character is used in both hiragana and katakana).

• To go further on the topic of kana legends, the R4 1u key should be changed to . Again, this is for correctness and compatibility with actual layouts that are used for typing Japanese.

• I recommend including a second Tab key in this kit. That way buyers will be able to cover two keyboards if they buy base + katakana (provided they use slightly different layouts). This is a common inclusion in alt alphas kits such as this one.

Again, I recommend adding a spacebars kit to this set. Split spacebar setups, as well as Alice and other boards that use small spacekeys, have become very popular in the community. Also, people like having the option of spicing up their setup with accent bars. For these reasons, spacebars kits always do well in GBs.
See here for suggestions on which keys you can include in this kit. Beside those, you'll also want to include a B key for Alice support.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2020, 07:20:08 by konstantin »

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 05:15:56 »
Hi there! I have a few suggestions for your kits:

Base kit:
Show Image

• Change 1.25u Code keys to Super for consistency.

• Add a second R4 1u Alt key. Without it, the 1.5u Super keys can't really be used.
    • Alternatively, if you don't want to add the second Alt, change the 1u Super keys to Code. That way, 2× 1u Code and 2× 1.5u Super can be used together to cover Mac and OG HHKB bottom rows. But this is likely the less preferable option for most people; it's probably better to just add the second Alt.

• Change the R4 1u \| ISO key to <> in order to avoid duplicate keys. See here for more details.

• If you don't want to offer a separate spacebars kit (which I would recommend), consider including 2.75u, 2.25u and 2u spacekeys in base. See GMK Tea Witch's base kit for an example.
    • However, seeing as your base kit is already pretty large, offering a separate spacebars kit is likely the better option. It would also allow you to offer accent-colored 6.25u and 7u spacebars.

Katakana Monolegends:
Show Image

• This kit is missing a R1 1u key. This character is a Japanese prolonged sound mark. See here for more details. Also, here are two examples of kits that have this key (the same character is used in both hiragana and katakana).

• To go further on the topic of kana legends, the R4 1u key should be changed to . Again, this is for correctness and compatibility with actual layouts that are used for typing Japanese.

• I recommend including a second Tab key in this kit. That way buyers will be able to cover two keyboards if they buy base + katakana (provided they use slightly different layouts). This is a common inclusion in alt alphas kits such as this one.

Again, I recommend adding a spacebars kit to this set. Split spacebar setups, as well as Alice and other boards that use small spacekeys, have become very popular in the community. Also, people like having the option of spicing up their setup with accent bars. For these reasons, spacebars kits always do well in GBs.
See here for suggestions on which keys you can include in this kit. Beside those, you'll also want to include a B key for Alice support.

Thank you for this awesome feedback!
I will definetly consider most of it.

In regards of the spacebar kit... well i also thought about it.
But in terms of that, i want to first get my vendors.

Thank you again for this great feedback, this is what i love to see!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 10:44:32 »
Anyone that's thinking about picking this set up should check this mat out EDITED: Nevermind the mat in question was designed by some tool that harms the keyboard community.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 18:22:04 by Havattack »

Offline ELJEFE

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 18:32:31 »
I'm still super excited for this set. Hopefully it all comes to fruition!

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 18:52:12 »

There will be, I will have some great news in a couple of Weeks I guess.

With that I also want to reassure that this project is NOT dead. It's worked on and I also have almost all of the Vendors set yet!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 01:36:48 »

With that I also want to reassure that this project is NOT dead. It's worked on and I also have almost all of the Vendors set yet!

Is there going to be an issue with that "sunset" novelty? Apparently, GMK has the utterly stupid idea that it some how belongs to Laser.... or that Laser is to be the only neon/cyberpunk/80's set they do...

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 05:05:46 »

Is there going to be an issue with that "sunset" novelty? Apparently, GMK has the utterly stupid idea that it some how belongs to Laser.... or that Laser is to be the only neon/cyberpunk/80's set they do...

Stuff like that is what's being worked on. So unfortunately I cannot say anything to that matter yet.

Offline saam

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 07:36:24 »
This looks pretty awesome, but a little too bright for me.
I might pick up the deskmat tho, that is lookin awesome.

Sam E

Offline Havattack

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 14:57:56 »

Stuff like that is what's being worked on. So unfortunately I cannot say anything to that matter yet.
So it sounds like GMK really is so incompetent and stupid as to think that novelty somehow belongs to Laser/mito? What bunch of morons. I really don't want to give those fools any more of my money. And i am VERY close to starting an anti GMK crusade over this BS.
Mito needs to do the right thing, and tell GMK he has no claim over that symbol what so ever. WTF is going on here?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 15:03:54 by Havattack »

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 16:44:52 »
So it sounds like GMK really is so incompetent and stupid as to think that novelty somehow belongs to Laser/mito? What bunch of morons. I really don't want to give those fools any more of my money. And i am VERY close to starting an anti GMK crusade over this BS.
Mito needs to do the right thing, and tell GMK he has no claim over that symbol what so ever. WTF is going on here?
As soon as I noticed the setting sun mod I suspected this kind of BS was going on.
I wasn't let down it seems.
Imagine pulling this BS after manufacturing sets with the literal IP in their name.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 18:16:54 »
As soon as I noticed the setting sun mod I suspected this kind of BS was going on.
I wasn't let down it seems.
Imagine pulling this BS after manufacturing sets with the literal IP in their name.
Yup, it almost seems like someone is telling them to specifically not run any sets similar to Laser... hmmmm. But I'm sure, given how open and transparent GMK has been,  we can totally trust that is not the case.....
This entire thing is just gross. 

Offline Skeil

• I drink art and draw coffee
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 08:44:40 »
Yes! More purple caps!

Offline JDTechGear

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 00:25:33 »
Can't wait to see this come to fruition. I've been monitoring and checking in on this IC for ever since it was announced. Glad to hear the progress!

Offline brothermaaan

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 14:55:59 »
Soooooo ready for this!
How can I prepare for when the GB drops? This will be my first ever that I join in on (if we get there, hopefully!)

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 16:24:45 »
Soooooo ready for this!
How can I prepare for when the GB drops? This will be my first ever that I join in on (if we get there, hopefully!)

For now - just monitor this ic, i will post updates as soon as there will be any! :)

Offline Reindeer

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 21:46:55 »
Bit too similar to laser but I like the deskmat.

Offline norb

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 04:43:15 »
in regard to retrowave, we all know what happened to the sunset novelty, will you be running into similar problems? have you checked with GMK?

Offline PradyXT

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 07:27:14 »
I like everything about this set, I'm sure my little brother would love it. He likes neon stuff and purple is his favorite color!

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 16:55:12 »
I got some great news, prototypes of the deskmat arrived at my main vendor Vala Supply.

As they aren't yet at my place (and i can't really make better pictures) i would love to share some of the pictures already with you! :)
Please note they are PROTOTYPES, this won't be the final result!

Offline s00perpig

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 17:06:46 »
Looks great! I'll be getting all 3 kits plus the deskmat... Can't wait!