Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1314085 times)

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3750 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:47:45 »
I've had my Qpad QH-85 headset (basically Takstar 2050 with a mic) for like four years now. The earpads were getting a bit too flat so I decided to get some new ones. I went with the angled ones and they're very comfortable :)

New on the left, old on the right.

Bass is better now which sort of surprised me but I guess they do a better job at isolating the sound than my old earpads.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3751 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 15:12:50 »
I've had my Qpad QH-85 headset (basically Takstar 2050 with a mic) for like four years now. The earpads were getting a bit too flat so I decided to get some new ones. I went with the angled ones and they're very comfortable :)
Show Image

New on the left, old on the right.

Bass is better now which sort of surprised me but I guess they do a better job at isolating the sound than my old earpads.

Different materials have different properties and can seal better!

I tried alpha pads on the W3000anv and the bass improved a ton and brought the mids back into proper range but ruined the treble =S

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3752 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 15:09:11 »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3753 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 15:12:30 »
FINALLY

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3754 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:27:05 »
FINALLY

I've aged considerably while this has remained a relatively "new" piece of technology. lol

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3755 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:55:31 »
FINALLY

I've aged considerably while this has remained a relatively "new" piece of technology. lol

What's that for?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3756 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:16:06 »

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3757 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 18:28:07 »
Holy crap, that thing is spendy :o

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3758 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 18:44:04 »

If I'm thinking of the same project it was a lot cheaper through the backing

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3759 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 21:51:02 »

Right you are- I'd never pay full MSRP for this thing without listening to it first.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3760 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 21:54:49 »
FINALLY

What's that for?

I backed a product on indiegogo back in 2013,

http://marketplace.lhlabs.com/products/pulse-xfi-dac-headphone-amplifier

Jeeeeez. That thing looks DOPE. But holy crap $2400.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3761 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:17:09 »

Right you are- I'd never pay full MSRP for this thing without listening to it first.

Wasn't it like $600? xD

I didn't feel like backing it

I don't think they were  doing anything extremely unique either were they?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3762 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:31:59 »

Wasn't it like $600? xD

It's a 3W amp/dac that does DSD and has a lot of useful I/O.  For $600 backing price it is not too hard to want to pick up given the features.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3763 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 23:09:49 »

Wasn't it like $600? xD

It's a 3W amp/dac that does DSD and has a lot of useful I/O.  For $600 backing price it is not too hard to want to pick up given the features.

I mean the backing price was definitely better than a lot of similar options on the market. Tell us how it sounds! (once you get it)

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3764 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 09:56:04 »

Wasn't it like $600? xD

I mean the backing price was definitely better than a lot of similar options on the market. Tell us how it sounds! (once you get it)

Very clear- very resolving.  The positive effect of the wattage of the unit is very apparent with my HE-560s.  The soundstage feels wider in blind tests.  I was able to determine the pulse by sound-stage alone in those tests between the Pulse, O2/Odac, and Aune T1.

As for a DAC I really can't tell the difference unless what I'm hearing out of the amp is a result of the DAC's engineering.  From what I've heard of planars being run through higher wattage amps (even used at lower volumes) the higher performance is relative to the amount of amps on tap which the lower power voltage domain amps just do not have.

I'm very happy to get this at the campaign price.  If I were offered the same unit at full retail I don't think I would bite.  As feature rich as it is... I just can't justify the cost for the performance gains.  Considering I only paid twice as much as a totally pimped out O2/ODAC I'm pretty happy even though I didn't get what I would consider to be 2x performance gains.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #3765 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 21:18:55 »
My main headphones are a pair of Sennheiser HD600, driven by a Yulong DA8 DAC & amp. I also have Shure SRH440 for studio and a set of custom IEMs from Cosmic Ears (CE4P) for the stage. I go by the same username over at the Head-Fi forums. Yep, another expensive hobby.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3766 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 01:04:26 »
Got my GeekPulse from LH Labs yesterday. I just hooked it up and the initial impressions on the dac are really good. I haven't tested the headphone amplifier portion at all just yet but current I am running usb to the pulse then RCA to my WA7 Fireflies then finally to my HD650s. I was very impressed I could actually tell when Spotify did not have a full 320kpbs version of a particular song. The sound stage seems to have opened up just a tad and I hear a bit more of the highs making things sound a little more clear.

Definitely an improvement on the existing dac inside the WA7.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3767 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 08:18:18 »
Was thinking of getting a small amp + passive speaker combo to complete my desktop audio, but got real tired of the endless search and near misses (missed an Usher S-520). So, I gave up and bought a 2.0 pair that appealed to me aesthetically.....though it isn't known for having great sound. I decided on a Focal XS Book 2.0 system to go with my Oppo HA-1. I must say, it sounds pretty good for a 2.0......yes, not headphone related, but at least audio related. I'm being perhaps shallow with this purchase preferring form over function, but hey, I think it looks good.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2015, 08:19:52 by PadawanGeek »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3768 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 10:42:11 »
I dunno man, I've had those exact speakers and loved them and all the reviews I ever read were glowing as well.  I wouldn't say they aren't known for having great sound at all, either the specific line or especially the company that made them.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3769 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 14:06:05 »
Was thinking of getting a small amp + passive speaker combo to complete my desktop audio, but got real tired of the endless search and near misses (missed an Usher S-520). So, I gave up and bought a 2.0 pair that appealed to me aesthetically.....though it isn't known for having great sound. I decided on a Focal XS Book 2.0 system to go with my Oppo HA-1. I must say, it sounds pretty good for a 2.0......yes, not headphone related, but at least audio related. I'm being perhaps shallow with this purchase preferring form over function, but hey, I think it looks good.
Show Image

Is that a AKG K812 on your desk? If so, how do you like them? Is it as bright as people say (ie. Tyll)? And how does it compare to the HD-800?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3770 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 04:56:19 »
I dunno man, I've had those exact speakers and loved them and all the reviews I ever read were glowing as well.  I wouldn't say they aren't known for having great sound at all, either the specific line or especially the company that made them.
I guess I was rather ambiguous in my previous post, I wasn't saying that the Focal XS Book was bad, far from it actually. It was more that I was going all audio-feely thinking about buying a Ghent Audio ICEPower power amp (had a Calyx CTI in mind as well) + Usher S-520 (was also looking at the higher end Peachtree Audio DS5.5 bookshelf speakers. Ended up with a pair of powered speakers, so I felt I was being audio-feely enough. :-[ I've been listening to the XS Book the whole day and quite like its presentation of music, more neutral'ish highs, good mildly recessed mids with good amount of mid-bass thump.....though lower lows are rolled off. Played some games and I find it surprisingly great sounding with the XS Book.

Is that a AKG K812 on your desk? If so, how do you like them? Is it as bright as people say (ie. Tyll)? And how does it compare to the HD-800?
You're asking the wrong guy, I love sparkly highs! I don't find my earlier gen (serial number <10k) HD800 bright at all, yes, there's some extended treble but I wouldn't say it's at all bright. Same goes with the AKG K812 (serial number >12k), very nice sparkle, smaller soundstage than the HD800, great for more enclosed or intimate audio setting, like a Jazz club compared to the concert hall width and height of the HD800's soundstage. I can't say I prefer one over the other, both are awesome for different genres of music. BTW, I have a Grado GS1000i and an Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 and I would describe them as being quite sparkly, almost to the point of being bright.....almost, not quite. I did say I have a high tolerance for......well, highs. :D

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3771 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:02:11 »
Was in the mood for another IEM, but wanted something different from the IE800 and Fitear Parterre I already have. Saw a seller in the local forum selling his StageDiver 3 by InEar, did some research because I was intrigued by its resemblance to a CIEM. To cut a long story short, I snagged it.....the greenish (oxidized) cable in the background is its original cable. The seller gave me the Nocturnal Audio Quad29 cable to seal the deal.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:04:09 by PadawanGeek »

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #3772 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 00:27:21 »
Was in the mood for another IEM, but wanted something different from the IE800 and Fitear Parterre I already have. Saw a seller in the local forum selling his StageDiver 3 by InEar, did some research because I was intrigued by its resemblance to a CIEM. To cut a long story short, I snagged it.....the greenish (oxidized) cable in the background is its original cable. The seller gave me the Nocturnal Audio Quad29 cable to seal the deal.
Show Image

I found them pretty decent sounding, although imaging was a little blurry. I ended up selling them because there was something in the shell that hurt my ears after a while, and my real CIEMs arrived.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3773 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 03:40:10 »
I found them pretty decent sounding, although imaging was a little blurry. I ended up selling them because there was something in the shell that hurt my ears after a while, and my real CIEMs arrived.
True, they aren't as resolving as, say, my IE800, but its warm'ish sound does have its own charm. Also, you'd notice that I'm a universal fit guy, no custom jobs for me as I have no patient for more time off to haave an ear impression done, and the wait time for reshelling and such, simply not something I'd deal well with. Gonna find a nice silver core cable and see if it opens up the top end (highs) a little more.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3774 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 05:51:55 »
More of my purchases have turned up, some spikes and bases for my Oppo HA-1, as well as a pair of HE4....

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3775 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 08:27:48 »
Yea Pada, I'm never getting CIEMs again that's for sure.

I really should have gone for the universal nobles

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3776 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 08:57:40 »
What I'm using most days:

Think it may be time for a new cable. I firmly believe metal type affects sound as they attenuate differently, but I'm not a big believer in braided vs solid vs no o2, etc, so finding something reasonably priced with a silver core is my goal.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3777 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 09:13:38 »
What I'm using most days:

Show Image

Think it may be time for a new cable. I firmly believe metal type affects sound as they attenuate differently, but I'm not a big believer in braided vs solid vs no o2, etc, so finding something reasonably priced with a silver core is my goal.

I believe buying silver core cable in bulk is the best option. I wouldn't mind splitting an order. Different metals have different conductivity values so I can believe they change the sound. However I don't believe much in the braided vs solid thing either. (Also the 1p2 gold / silver cable is confusing to me)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3778 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:14:50 »
If you can do it yourself - http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=24+AWG+Silver+Teflon+Wire+Assortment+50+feet+19+strand&_id=231157003669&&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2658  All sorts of different gauge silver wire, old mil-stock.  I've used it before, it works great, it's a little stiff on its own though because of the teflon coating.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3779 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:29:53 »
If you can do it yourself - http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=24+AWG+Silver+Teflon+Wire+Assortment+50+feet+19+strand&_id=231157003669&&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2658  All sorts of different gauge silver wire, old mil-stock.  I've used it before, it works great, it's a little stiff on its own though because of the teflon coating.

did you take a specific size / thickness?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3780 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:35:21 »

I've used the 24, 26 and 28 in different circumstances for each.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3781 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 13:09:33 »

Stranded or single?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3782 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 13:29:02 »

Stranded or single?

Stranded.  Single is way too stiff.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3783 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:35:59 »
My pair of TH-900's arrived today. SO good... sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd...

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3784 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:51:12 »
My pair of TH-900's arrived today. SO good... sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd...

Called it =P

Gratz on the purchase!

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3785 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:58:51 »
Thank you. I'll do a write-up of my impressions later. But what I can say right now is, its greatest strength lies in the smoothness between the treble, mids, and bass. You don't hear 3 separate "entities" or bodies, but they all just blend in really well together in these headphones. It's precisely what drew me to these headphones when I listened to them a couple of years ago at a head-fi meet, and thankfully, it's still as I remembered today.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3786 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 00:10:11 »
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of Ether C's. Very tempting... but i have too many headphones already

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3787 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 05:00:29 »
Just got the Focus Pads.......now I can spend more time with this baboy.

Also got my Effect Audio Thor Silver 8W, along with the free Fiio E07K

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3788 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 11:32:46 »
NEXT MONTH. CIEMS. dunno who to go with, probably noble.
I love Elzy

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3789 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 15:06:29 »

Nobl r guut

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3790 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:28:59 »

I've got some JHA Angie's. Perhaps take into consideration the Angie or Layla

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3791 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:42:33 »

heard some bad stuff about jh customer support or whatever
I love Elzy

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3792 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 18:07:27 »

heard some bad stuff about jh customer support or whatever

They've tried to fix that recently with the new boss or whatever. Their products are great though.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3793 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 21:03:03 »
Product is great, CS is still garbage.  Go UE or noble.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3794 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 21:04:20 »
UE cheapest is like standard entry ciem price with 0 customization. GO CHINA
I love Elzy

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #3795 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:32:01 »
I wouldn't consider UE cheap. There are smaller companies with much more inexpensive models, like 1964Ears, Cosmic Ears, etc.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3796 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:35:27 »
I wouldn't consider UE cheap. There are smaller companies with much more inexpensive models, like 1964Ears, Cosmic Ears, etc.

I would go 1964 for full customization. but idk if I wanna be THAT rice. noble seems the best in between option of design and quality.
I love Elzy

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #3797 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 01:21:45 »
I got my UERMs last week that I ordered through Massdrop. They're great. My only complaint is lack of customization on these >.<

Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3798 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 01:24:25 »
I got my UERMs last week that I ordered through Massdrop. They're great. My only complaint is lack of customization on these >.<

Show Image

exaaactly. nice get though!
I love Elzy

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #3799 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 01:26:53 »

Show Image

exaaactly. nice get though!

All their other ciems seem to be customizable. When Massdrop had the UE 18 buy, those had options for customization too. Not sure why the UERMs are the exception :<

And thanks!
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!