Author Topic: Logging in forever  (Read 6879 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Logging in forever
« on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 19:29:19 »
I just wanted to mention how fun it is, after clearing one's cookies (so to speak), to return to Geekhack and log in with the default option: Forever. It's comforting knowing one can log in forever on a site one likes so much. I assume this means that even after we die, if we've been careful to remain logged in, we can keep returning to GH and posting message from Beyond. This would actually explain some of the stranger threads here.

113232-0

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Logging in forever
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 21:01:16 »
I wonder if forever will last after the server is retired, and even after the human race has gone extinct, or been supplanted by robots.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 05:33:52 »
Quote from: Rowdy
I wonder if forever will last after the server is retired, and even after the human race has gone extinct, or been supplanted by robots.

I wondered about that myself, so I consulted the Department of Computer Science here at the University of BC. Apparently, well before the events you describe, mankind will have switched over to quantum computing devices, creating a parallel, interdimensional version of GH that we should have no trouble accessing from beyond the limits of space and time.

BTW, your sig is the first comparison I've seen of keyboards to horse saddles. However, I have been considering making a special leather harness so I can keep a Model M strapped to my hip at all times. As you know, we GHers are often required to whip out our reliable mechanical keyboards on short notice, to protect decent folks everywhere. Yee hah—clickity click!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 06:33:54 »
So does "forever"="eternity" ?  I always felt like forever meant "as long as I'm alive", but maybe that's not what other people feel it means. And when GH uses forever and I check the box does that mean it uses my definition of forever or someone else's?  What if iMav feels like forever means "until my Apple Music free trial ends"?  Does that dynamically change the meaning of "the forever checkbox"?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 08:42:41 »
So does "forever"="eternity" ?  I always felt like forever meant "as long as I'm alive", but maybe that's not what other people feel it means. And when GH uses forever and I check the box does that mean it uses my definition of forever or someone else's?  What if iMav feels like forever means "until my Apple Music free trial ends"?  Does that dynamically change the meaning of "the forever checkbox"?

You just made me question Forever Stamps...what does it really mean??

:eek:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 08:53:17 »

You just made me question Forever Stamps...what does it really mean??

:eek:

Mind blown.
I'm back.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 03:38:14 »
So does "forever"="eternity" ?  I always felt like forever meant "as long as I'm alive", but maybe that's not what other people feel it means.

Well, as great as you may be, I'm not sure why anyone else would consider "forever" to be as long as you were alive. If it's really that important to you, I suppose you could start a cult and convince a bunch of people that once you're not around anymore, life won't be worth living. This has been done, but it seems extreme.

And when GH uses forever and I check the box does that mean it uses my definition of forever or someone else's?  What if iMav feels like forever means "until my Apple Music free trial ends"?  Does that dynamically change the meaning of "the forever checkbox"?

Logging on to GH "Forever" doesn't change the laws of physics. It changes how you perceive yourself. For example, you may suddenly realize you're a man in a woman's body. As long as the woman doesn't mind, though, that shouldn't be a problem. Presumably you bought her a few drinks first.

I don't have an iAnything myself, but I do understand many Apple acolytes feel a profound correlation between the status of their Apple services and the validity of their continued existence on Earth. Fortunately, Steve Jobs didn't feel it necessary to make his cult as extreme as the one I've described above.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 04:01:27 »
"Together forever and never to part! " sings Rick Ashley!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 05:06:51 »
Forever - until the end of time.

The universe apparently is experiencing increasing entropy and distribution of mass and energy (really two aspects of the same thing), and eventually will just become one vast uniform energy field.

Time will probably continue to run, although there will not be anything left to measure.

Under those circumstances, we could be logged in forever, but there would no means of measuring it any more.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 06:00:38 »

So does "forever"="eternity" ?  I always felt like forever meant "as long as I'm alive", but maybe that's not what other people feel it means.

Well, as great as you may be, I'm not sure why anyone else would consider "forever" to be as long as you were alive. If it's really that important to you, I suppose you could start a cult and convince a bunch of people that once you're not around anymore, life won't be worth living. This has been done, but it seems extreme.

And when GH uses forever and I check the box does that mean it uses my definition of forever or someone else's?  What if iMav feels like forever means "until my Apple Music free trial ends"?  Does that dynamically change the meaning of "the forever checkbox"?

Logging on to GH "Forever" doesn't change the laws of physics. It changes how you perceive yourself. For example, you may suddenly realize you're a man in a woman's body. As long as the woman doesn't mind, though, that shouldn't be a problem. Presumably you bought her a few drinks first.

I don't have an iAnything myself, but I do understand many Apple acolytes feel a profound correlation between the status of their Apple services and the validity of their continued existence on Earth. Fortunately, Steve Jobs didn't feel it necessary to make his cult as extreme as the one I've described above.

Show Image

If I had a cult I would let you be in it bro
I'm back.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 03:30:37 »
Forever - until the end of time... The universe apparently is experiencing increasing entropy and distribution of mass and energy (really two aspects of the same thing), and eventually will just become one vast uniform energy field...

The way I look at it [turning head sideways, letting tongue hang out], the universe has a choice:

a. Just hang around being everything, forever (boring!)

- or -

b. Condense into physical matter, spark organic chemistry, start evolving stuff, develop consciousnesses, and enjoy the story.

If you were the universe, which would you choose? Even we do (b.), whenever we watch a movie or TV show, or read a book. The content's already there (it's not limited by time), but it's exciting because we experience it in a linear fashion.

If the universe can become everything around us, clearly it can do anything. So even if it plays out and becomes a uniform energy field, why assume it'd stay that way for long? Who knows what's next? Maybe next it'll be a Space-Saving universe, without tenkeys.

Time will probably continue to run, although there will not be anything left to measure... Under those circumstances, we could be logged in forever, but there would no means of measuring it any more.

If nothing ever  changes, how can time exist as anything but an abstract concept—sort of like the idea that my wife liked me once?