Author Topic: Keyclack's BKE heavy domes?  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Keyclack's BKE heavy domes?
« on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 23:57:07 »
I'm thinking out either finding some 55g stock topre domes or getting some heavy bke domes, and I was wondering what is the opinion on the quality and feel of the BKE domes vs stock topre 55g domes?

Just want to make sure I'm not spending $65 for some cheaper feeling knock offs.  :rolleyes:

This is for a RF 87u silent board by the way, I'm using a 45g HHKB right now though, only have used a 55g HHKB in the past, not an rf.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Keyclack's BKE heavy domes?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 01:28:38 »
I've heard overwhelmingly good things about them. They're supposedly very tactile.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline aspenc4

Keyclack's BKE heavy domes?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 09:47:52 »
I’d bought an hhkb not too long ago to give Topre a shot. I was underwhelmed, which was a disappointment because better tactility is something I’m always seeking and Topre is supposed to be king. While it was more tactile than other mx switches I’ve used, it wasn’t such an improvement that I’d consider joining the Topre clan, so I sold the board.

Then I went to the DC Meetup this weekend and used a board with the BKE heavy domes.

All I can say is if my stock hhkb had that type of tactility, I’d have been an instant convert. Of all the boards there, (and there were many, many nice boards) I found myself going back to it repeatedly to type on because I just couldn’t get over the tactility. 

For what it’s worth, I’ll be doing a similar build at some point for sure, and 3 of my friends are already doing the same because of that board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 December 2017, 09:49:55 by aspenc4 »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 11:06:31 »
I've met up with platabear, the guy who worked with Jchan to bring these to reality. Here's my take

My daily drivers: 65g ergo clear and 62g Zealio, and Matias Quiet Click

OG BKE:

Super harsh bottom out but also the most tactile switch I've ever tried. Bottom out harsh enough that I can't type for more than 15 minutes before I give up. This is remedied with silencing rings and lube.

Light BKE:

Very similar to the OG BKE. I still experience that harsh bottom out. It's also a hair less tactile than the OG BKE. Could be sample differences

Heavy BKE:

Harsh bottom out is still kind of there but atleast it doesn't hurt me anymore. It might be because they are heavier that I'm not bottoming out as hard.

55g Topre

Light. Even when compared to the Light BKEs. After trying any of the BKEs, even 55g topre doesn't feel tactile. lol. These feel almost linear to me, but I have no pain at all when typing.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 11:14:18 »
That harsh bottom out is why I gave up on OG BKE's. :(

Offline robbles

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 11:34:52 »
I have an HHKB loaded with Keyclack's BKE lights right now. They are super snappy and heavier than I thought they would be. It is significantly heavier than stock Topre, and these are the light version. They are also about 3x as loud. Really loud actually, especially on the upstroke. Nearly as loud as buckling spring. I've been using them for a week and they do fatigue my hands a bit, but I am a small handed typist who prefers medium-light switches. But the tactility feels really, really nice and worth some of the fatigue.

I am going to use the switches for another week and then re-install my Hypersphere rings and lube to see if this helps with the sound and hand fatigue. I have a ring installed on the right alt key and it makes a large difference, while still maintaining the signature BKE *POP*.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline MperorM

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 12:44:19 »
Just ordered myself a set of BKE light domes. Looking forward to seeing if they really are as tactile as people have described them!
Leopold fc980c with korean keycaps

KBParadise v80 with blank and original keycaps - FOR SALE

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 23:13:45 »
Just ordered myself a set of BKE light domes. Looking forward to seeing if they really are as tactile as people have described them!

You'll be happily surprised. I plug them whenever someone mentions them
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 14:09:21 »
I installed the BKE Redux light domes last night and really like them. Ordered some silencers for the stems as well, but they won’t be in for a while. The increased volume doesn’t really bother me much anyway. Still quieter than MX by quite a bit.

Thinking about ordering a set of the heavy domes to try in my HHKB.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 10:47:20 »
I got the BKE light domes today and installed then on my HHKB Pro 2 and i must say it's super tactile compared to the stock domes. Do i like them i  do yes but they do feel heavier to type on probably because the rubber is way stiffer then the stock one making you press a bit more then normal to get the dome collapsed. I recommend them 100% it feels like a new Topre experience. But if you don't like super noticeable tactility i wouldn't recommend them.

9/10 would recommend! :thumb:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020