Author Topic: Post Your Vinyl Records!  (Read 242374 times)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
Re: Post Your Vinyl Records!
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 17:10:55 »
Alright I want to collect vinyls too and my girlfriend would love to get a record player.

What would be the best record player.

Preferably one that I can hook up to my speaker system I have on my desk atm.

PlZ

:(

I've just started the vinyl thing a couple of months back
I've done a lot of research regarding what's the best price/performance turntable and speaker combo
and apparently the Audio Technica (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q) suits my budget, I paired it with Audioengine A5+ and it's been serving me very well since

Bunny recommended the same thing =)

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 17:52:06 »
Love that carry case Zanduby, whered you get that? Also, since you mix a little, could you recommend some decent cartridges/needles for a little mixing and a lot of listening?

Carry case was bought at a local store years and years ago. You can stil find them on ebay and other sites.

I've used Shure M44-7 Cartridges for a very long time. They are a great over all needle. They aren't too fancy, but don't sound like ****. I've used them for scratching and general play. I do prefer to play on Ortofons, but they are just too expensive for me.

Thanks for the info mayne!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #202 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 18:28:45 »
Love that carry case Zanduby, whered you get that? Also, since you mix a little, could you recommend some decent cartridges/needles for a little mixing and a lot of listening?

Carry case was bought at a local store years and years ago. You can stil find them on ebay and other sites.

I've used Shure M44-7 Cartridges for a very long time. They are a great over all needle. They aren't too fancy, but don't sound like ****. I've used them for scratching and general play. I do prefer to play on Ortofons, but they are just too expensive for me.

I'm coming only from a hifi end, but totally agree on Ortofons. The 2m Red is actually really cheap and a fantastic cart for the price. If you are really serious about getting into hifi I would also strongly recommend their MC carts, especially the Quintet line. I've used their moving coil carts for years (Quintet Red and Bronze) and can very obviously hear a difference over MM carts.

When getting into records I usually recommend upgrading Turntable - Speakers - Amp (if needed) - Phono Pre Amp - Cartridge in that order.

Speakers provide the most audible difference in sound quality. Depending on if you use powered speakers or not upgrading an amplifier first/with speakers may be in line. I also recommend upgrading the phono pre before the cart because a moving coil cartridge will require a proper phono pre due to the fact that they are much quieter than moving magnet carts, so upgrading to a really nice cart without a proper preamp may leave you stranded, or sub par sound.

For most people just a decent turntable and nice speakers is more than enough. Don't go upgrading to a really nice cartridge without the other upgrades just because the difference in sound won't be noticeable, or fully realized without a full hifi system.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #203 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:07:52 »

I'm coming only from a hifi end, but totally agree on Ortofons. The 2m Red is actually really cheap and a fantastic cart for the price. If you are really serious about getting into hifi I would also strongly recommend their MC carts, especially the Quintet line. I've used their moving coil carts for years (Quintet Red and Bronze) and can very obviously hear a difference over MM carts.

When getting into records I usually recommend upgrading Turntable - Speakers - Amp (if needed) - Phono Pre Amp - Cartridge in that order.

Speakers provide the most audible difference in sound quality. Depending on if you use powered speakers or not upgrading an amplifier first/with speakers may be in line. I also recommend upgrading the phono pre before the cart because a moving coil cartridge will require a proper phono pre due to the fact that they are much quieter than moving magnet carts, so upgrading to a really nice cart without a proper preamp may leave you stranded, or sub par sound.

For most people just a decent turntable and nice speakers is more than enough. Don't go upgrading to a really nice cartridge without the other upgrades just because the difference in sound won't be noticeable, or fully realized without a full hifi system.

Yep, there are a lot more important items in your set up before you get to needles. Powered speakers and a good amp would be number one on my list. I have been playing on my SL-1210MK5s for nearly a decade, I have done some work on them twice to make sure the near zero is as reliable as I can get it. Nothing makes for ****ty mixing than a table that can't hold it's speed. As far as hifi stuff, you'll need to take advice from others (like LSB) who are more into the sound part. I have always been more into what makes a better mixer board, or what speakers give me the bass that I want, and even then it's been a good 3-4 years since I've been actively looking at the stuff.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #204 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:16:59 »
Yep, there are a lot more important items in your set up before you get to needles. Powered speakers and a good amp would be number one on my list. I have been playing on my SL-1210MK5s for nearly a decade, I have done some work on them twice to make sure the near zero is as reliable as I can get it. Nothing makes for ****ty mixing than a table that can't hold it's speed. As far as hifi stuff, you'll need to take advice from others (like LSB) who are more into the sound part. I have always been more into what makes a better mixer board, or what speakers give me the bass that I want, and even then it's been a good 3-4 years since I've been actively looking at the stuff.

?  I'll leave it at that.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:42:01 »

Yeah I'm slightly confused. Just to clarify, you usually have powered speakers or an amp + passive speakers :)

Powered speakers, like the popular Audioengine A5/A2's (The Kanto speakers on MD are a popular clone of these) sound quite nice, and only require a phono pre between the turntable and them. The Audioengine P4's, a similar passive speaker, require the phono pre and a power amp to power the speakers, the benefit being one more variable that you can control in the chain. Having a nice power amp with powered speakers would be no bueno.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #206 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:45:50 »

Yeah I'm slightly confused. Just to clarify, you usually have powered speakers or an amp + passive speakers :)

Powered speakers, like the popular Audioengine A5/A2's (The Kanto speakers on MD are a popular clone of these) sound quite nice, and only require a phono pre between the turntable and them. The Audioengine P4's, a similar passive speaker, require the phono pre and a power amp to power the speakers, the benefit being one more variable that you can control in the chain. Having a nice power amp with powered speakers would be no bueno.

So this person is talking about a moving coil preamplifier? 

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #207 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:51:14 »

I don't think so. I've never heard of anyone scratching with a MC cartridge, and if you are you are doing things terribly wrong =O haha. Maybe something just got lost in translation

Really, a moving coil preamp is the same a a standard phono preamp, just with more gain essentially. Even cheap dedicated phono preamps occasionally allow for MC usage, such as this one

http://www.turntablelab.com/products/pro-ject-phono-box-dc-phono-pre-amp-silver?variant=231669012&gclid=CjwKEAiA7MWyBRDpi5TFqqmm6hMSJAD6GLeAu4I0nQhh6Wb0767fI3gRpXdVGu8g13gPy7bvoMkrQBoCfd7w_wcB

If you have a moving coil cartridge though, its' something you are definitely aware of.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #208 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:55:35 »

I don't think so. I've never heard of anyone scratching with a MC cartridge, and if you are you are doing things terribly wrong =O haha. Maybe something just got lost in translation

Really, a moving coil preamp is the same a a standard phono preamp, just with more gain essentially. Even cheap dedicated phono preamps occasionally allow for MC usage, such as this one

If you have a moving coil cartridge though, its' something you are definitely aware of.

Yeah it's just the amplified speakers and passives.  I wasn't sure which direction that was going either.  I would presume if you have a high-quality preamp or integrated amp, you wouldn't need that.

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 22:02:35 »
Clearly don't listen to me. I'm not all with it tonight. I'm sorry for saying wrong things.

It's been a while since I've put stock into my knowledge of audio equipment.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 02:28:18 »

Sure, the 2m series is great, but for a Technics 1200 I'd go for the OM or Concorde series. Then you can have a dual purpose DJ/Hi-fi player by just swapping between styli and adjusting the force. The concordes are even specifically made for the Technics (and its clones), so you don't need to mess with mounting and adjusting the cart in a headshell. KAB even sell custom configurations with hi-fi styli on Concorde carts, just because it's easy to setup, and it looks and sounds great. (Ok the compliance of the hi-fi styli won't be 100% optimized for the tonearm mass when using the Concorde, but good enough not to cause much, if any at all, trouble.)

Going the pure hi-fi route all in with expensive speakers, amps, preamps and moving coil carts, I would not go for the Technics anyways. Not without the modifications needed to get it on par with the rest of the system at least. You'd wanna rewire the tonearm, get a tonearm dampener and stuff like that.

Getting started with vinyl one thing is more important than anyting else IMHO, and thats getting a cart with a needle and setup that won't ruin your precious vinyl. Too much or too little force will make the stylus wear the records more than necessary, and an incorrect cart setup will make the tracking bad, and bad tracking equals record wear. Worn down old needles will also tear on your vinyls, so.. get new, decent stuff, and make sure it's setup right.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #211 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 12:43:27 »

Sure, the 2m series is great, but for a Technics 1200 I'd go for the OM or Concorde series. Then you can have a dual purpose DJ/Hi-fi player by just swapping between styli and adjusting the force. The concordes are even specifically made for the Technics (and its clones), so you don't need to mess with mounting and adjusting the cart in a headshell. KAB even sell custom configurations with hi-fi styli on Concorde carts, just because it's easy to setup, and it looks and sounds great. (Ok the compliance of the hi-fi styli won't be 100% optimized for the tonearm mass when using the Concorde, but good enough not to cause much, if any at all, trouble.)

Going the pure hi-fi route all in with expensive speakers, amps, preamps and moving coil carts, I would not go for the Technics anyways. Not without the modifications needed to get it on par with the rest of the system at least. You'd wanna rewire the tonearm, get a tonearm dampener and stuff like that.

Getting started with vinyl one thing is more important than anyting else IMHO, and thats getting a cart with a needle and setup that won't ruin your precious vinyl. Too much or too little force will make the stylus wear the records more than necessary, and an incorrect cart setup will make the tracking bad, and bad tracking equals record wear. Worn down old needles will also tear on your vinyls, so.. get new, decent stuff, and make sure it's setup right.

Again, I'm only coming from the Hifi side, I don't scratch records and never ever will. But you do make a great point for those that want to do both. Being able to easily swap out styli is a must.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of Technics at all for use as a pure listening table.

I agree though, getting records comes first :) Having a decent system will really help you get the most of the hobby thoutg. I think for ~$300 you can get a really decent setup to start though.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 12:50:18 »
Off the wall question - what do you do to keep cats off the record/turntable when its in use?

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 12:58:23 »
Off the wall question - what do you do to keep cats off the record/turntable when its in use?

Hahaha such a good question.

My TT has an acrylic cover, but a squirt bottle also comes in handy for when I see one of the little buggers just thinking about jumping up on the table haha.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:33:31 »

Hahaha such a good question.

My TT has an acrylic cover, but a squirt bottle also comes in handy for when I see one of the little buggers just thinking about jumping up on the table haha.

I would love to say "electric fence", but I'm afraid the clicks induced to your audio setup would be horrible, so.. yeh, an acrylic cover will do it :)

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 12:04:19 »

You guys inspired me to dust off my collection and these gems were the first thing I saw......ahh the good old days.

Offline sgtpopwell

• "A great big bushy beard!"
« Reply #216 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 01:23:54 »
Every night is a good night to spin some vinyl.

F77, Filco TKL, IBM Industrial, TKC1800, CST Laser-trac

Patiently waiting for the Model F77

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #217 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 09:46:56 »
Every night is a good night to spin some vinyl.

Mmmm, The Shins.  :thumb:

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #218 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 15:30:44 »
Got this one. Thought I would not buy it because expensive, but I could not resist in the end. Great album!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #219 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 15:48:14 »
I need to post up some pics, this has been a good week for vinyl. In The Absence of Truth, 69 Love Songs, a few obscure 70's Australian surf soundtracks.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 20:00:56 »

Just got new tubes in! Listening to Deafheaven's "Sunbather" in the background, a little gift I picked up for myself today  :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 20:11:53 »
CPT POST YOUR STUFF IN HERE
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 07:41:32 »
Show Image

Just got new tubes in! Listening to Deafheaven's "Sunbather" in the background, a little gift I picked up for myself today  :p
This album though :eek:
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 08:14:19 »
Show Image

Maaaaan, I really need to build a tube amp...

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 15:08:59 »
Show Image

ooh oooh OOOOHHH. That's perty.

I'm going to +1 hoff's desire to build a tube amp. We are slackin', Hoff.

Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 17:27:12 »
Show Image

ooh oooh OOOOHHH. That's perty.

I'm going to +1 hoff's desire to build a tube amp. We are slackin', Hoff.

You can build a great tube amp for cheap these days.  ;D

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:00:48 »
My new protomen single came in after a long wait! Dunno if you guys have every listened to them, but I'm a huge fan of there's and super excited they have new stuff out. Next stop, Act III119720-0

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #227 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 01:32:11 »

Turquoise vinyl on my player at work. Halsey - Badlands.

Offline sgtpopwell

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 01:43:14 »

Beautiful color...I am such a sucker for colored vinyl. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work that allows you to have a record player at work?

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 02:06:34 »

Beautiful color...I am such a sucker for colored vinyl. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work that allows you to have a record player at work?

Yeh, colored vinyl is nice! I'm a computer tech. We've installed a sound system covering the entire service department in our office and we take turns playing stuff while working. I lost my dance floor when we moved the last time, but I can live with that. :)

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 07:44:54 »

Love that album. Also loving the turquoise

Offline sgtpopwell

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 07:46:26 »

Yeh, colored vinyl is nice! I'm a computer tech. We've installed a sound system covering the entire service department in our office and we take turns playing stuff while working. I lost my dance floor when we moved the last time, but I can live with that. :)

Wow...sounds like a pretty stressful work enviroment if you ask me  :rolleyes:

Makes me want to see if I can setup something similar at my office. It's just a tiny little NOC so maybe I could get away with it...

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 08:17:59 »

Wow...sounds like a pretty stressful work enviroment if you ask me  :rolleyes:

Makes me want to see if I can setup something similar at my office. It's just a tiny little NOC so maybe I could get away with it...

It can be pretty chill around here at times, yes :) Especially when we open our PowerMac G5 that is now made into a liquor cabinet for absinthe :P (Don't worry, I can't remember last time we did that.)

Of course you deserve a turntable at work! Eat your heart out, Harvey Specter! :D

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 15:09:28 »
Ok, a few of the better purchases from the last few weeks.

Joanna Newsome - Divers. This album is incredible. The packaging is also fantastic, it comes with individual prints with lyrics to the songs as well.

Deafheaven-Sunbather

Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (6x10 inch set)

Jackson C Frank Archive Recordings - Series 1-3

Offline sgtpopwell

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 03:35:59 »
Show Image

OK...I NEED that 69 Love Songs box set. One of my favorite albums. Where did you pick that up?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #235 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 12:02:55 »
Show Image

OK...I NEED that 69 Love Songs box set. One of my favorite albums. Where did you pick that up?
Local record store had it. Should be in the merge site as well though!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #236 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:06:44 »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:18:38 »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #238 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:27:20 »

Show Image

Danq

I slept on the release, was poor and in college. Finally found one in a brick and mortar store for only $30. Snagged it immediately

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:28:18 »
Show Image

YESSS, that's a good one. 8)

got the colored vinyl too, the one I always saw was green.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #240 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:31:33 »
Show Image

Yeah, there were quite a few colors if i remember correctly, but im not sure which are more rare than others. Such a fun album though.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:31:42 »
Haven't listened to them in years. Should snag something by them someday.

I just got this the other day. Been looking for months, then pops up on eBay, sealed, for $9 shipped.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:33:15 »
Show Image

Yeah, there were quite a few colors if i remember correctly, but im not sure which are more rare than others. Such a fun album though.

I was hunting Boris records for a while, never did find a reasonably priced copy of Pink in store though. All the Inoxia imports are horrendously expensive.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:38:14 »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 18:46:46 »

The new Naked Gods album is quite amazing. Local favorites that really have had heaps of potential for years. Here is a great article about them
http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/naked-gods-stalled-because-of-moves-marriages-babies-and-a-fight-with-cancer-theyre-now-better-than-ever/Content?oid=4946446

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #245 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 18:49:35 »
Guys like video game music?

Super Hang On OST on its way to me. It's Data Discs fourth release. I'll be buying everything they do!

Should be shipped in the next week or two, Pokemon red/blue OST. You guys don't know how hyped I am for that.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 18:57:39 »

Show Image

Should be shipped in the next week or two, Pokemon red/blue OST. You guys don't know how hyped I am for that.

holy **** did not know this existed.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 19:01:01 »

Show Image

holy **** did not know this existed.

My buddy saw it from Facebook I think. Had to organize the deal through him! Store is Arcade Legacy in Cincinnati, guys name is Jesse Baker.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #248 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 19:15:06 »
Here's a few of my favorites

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens. Limited to 5000 releases in the original run (which this is one of). Easily my favorite record I currently own.

J Dilla - Donuts. First record I ever got! Huge fan of Dilla, and I love the Donut slipmats.

Blu & Exile - Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them. Blu & Exile's second album. Not as good as their first album, but still solid, and I love the cover art and vinyl.

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2015, 19:17:47 by dgneo »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 19:38:19 »

Here's a few of my favorites

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens. Limited to 5000 releases in the original run (which this is one of). Easily my favorite record I currently own.
Show Image

Show Image

J Dilla - Donuts. First record I ever got! Huge fan of Dilla, and I love the Donut slipmats.
Show Image

Show Image

Blu & Exile - Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them. Blu & Exile's second album. Not as good as their first album, but still solid, and I love the cover art and vinyl.
Show Image

Show Image

Ok you can intercept my package, I'm going to steal those donuts. Want those so bad.