Author Topic: [IC] Prelude 40% - Premium Sandwich Mount Thick Plate Compact Keyboard (CLOSED)  (Read 19490 times)

Offline Wing

Update: We will no longer be running a GB for the Prelude. (See below)

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the lack of update in the past few weeks, things have been quite busy on our end and there have been a few major changes with our manufacturer during the holiday period. We wanted to wait and gauge how these developments unfold before making a decision and posting an update.

Unfortunately, we will no longer be running a GB for the Prelude. To everyone who was interested in the GB, I’m sorry; this was not the outcome we wanted.

The projected price of the Prelude was already quite expensive in comparison to other boards of its size; it was difficult for the manufacturer to produce the thick plates while simultaneously maintaining a standard for the machining and UV coating (to prevent oxidation) treatment. This plate drives the production cost of the whole board up by a considerable amount. As we weren’t looking to make a profit, we were running on extremely thin margins.

In 2019, our manufacturer announced drastic pricing changes. Their prices on keyboards increased significantly in January, and they expect another price increase in February. These price increases announced by the manufacturer makes it unfeasible for us to run a GB. We did consider the option of finding an alternative manufacturer, however this would mean that we would need to produce another prototype. We decided against playing ‘manufacturer roulette’ with the exact same design. It was better to move on and produce prototypes of the other projects that we currently have in the works.

For those of you who liked the Prelude, feel free to use its design! The intention of the IC was to share its design with everyone.

Although the GB could not happen, we’re grateful for all your feedback and comments. Thank you all so much.

I have worked jointly with my friend of more than a decade, SolidSnake from the Australian Mechanical Keyboard scene. The product of our synergy is the Prelude 40%. What originated as a passion project, our collaboration gained sufficient interest in the Australian Discord to consider releasing it to the greater community. As initially a solitary custom keyboard, there is no branding engraved on our board. It is not exclusively our board. We wish to share this keyboard with you, and for it to become unequivocally yours; just like how it once belonged to us.

About

The Prelude 40% is our interpretation of a keyboard where the aesthetic and functional designs blend seamlessly together. The thick, 5mm brass plate has become a staple of keyboard design in the past year - its higher density affords a special sturdiness and distinct consistency that usual, thinner plates do not offer.

Coalescing the thick plate into the mounting, acoustic design and visual profile of the Prelude has resulted in a very unique and satisfying package.

The philosophical notion of ‘a prelude to…. What?’ is one that fascinates us. Perhaps a prelude to the end game? For us, ‘preludes’ represent a form of abstractionism and transcendence beyond the conventional architecture. The freeform and improvisatory nature of a ‘prelude’ along with its concision and colourful individuality ushers the reflection of evocative, rhapsodic moods; utterances which seemed to falter on the edge of the inexpressible.

What else is our life but a series of preludes to that unknown Hymn, the first and solemn note of which is intoned by Death?

Photos

Taken at the 2018 Sydney mechanical keyboard meet up:

3D Model

Layout

Features

• Grade 6063 aluminum alloy, anodised in offered colour of choice
  • 40% compact form factor with compatibility for most standard/base kits. Does not require additional key caps from child and modifier kits
  • 4.70mm thick brass plate, finished to a 120 grit bead blast with clear coat treatment
  • Thick plate, high contact sandwich mounting design
  • Angled base with built in 6 degrees typing incline
  • Programmable PCB powered by QMK firmware - matte black solder mask with gold traces
  • USB type C connector with support for C to C and C to A connections
  • True high profile
  • 18.50mm height at the front

Kit Includes

• Anodised aluminum case top and bottom chassis
  • 4.70mm thick brass plate
  • Custom made PCB
  • 16 x M3 screws (12 required, 4 spares)
  • 6 Rubber feet (indents for 4, 2 spares)

Interest Check Form

Please fill out this interest check form to let us know if you are interested, or if you have any thoughts or feedback to provide.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1D8cUxZ6ot-20dGDRquyMZkpnoPfxIJVXTa7YUcizYwE/

Group Buy

If there is enough interest in the Prelude, we will be running a group by from Australia.

We will likely have a limit of 50 kits produced in order to ensure a high level of quality control can be sustained. The purchasing will happen on a first come first serve basis.

Edit: Due to the aforementioned reasons at the start of the thread, we will no longer be running a GB for the Prelude.

I will still be answering any questions so please, feel free to ask!
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:40:32 by Wing »

Offline airlangga07

Re: [IC] Prelude 40% - Premium Sandwich Mount Thick Plate Compact Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:39:22 »
its beautiful! I am in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:42:11 »
Reminds me of Pearl a lot. That one is top mounted but is very similar otherwise. With that said I think this is very nice! Would like a split space option.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:43:23 »
Is there an estimated price?
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline fcoury

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:43:40 »
Yes, please!

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:44:12 »
This is a great looking keyboard. Been watching it for a while. Love the design but can't stomach the layout. Good luck I think that this will be a great keyboard. Good luck AUMK FTW

Offline PaultheSloth

• JW Double Black
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:50:00 »
Colour me interested, +1 for split space
Polaris|Leaf60|QXP|DC60|Planck|SKB60|Tokyo60|UT-47|AnnePro

Offline equalunique

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:54:18 »
Function blended with design is a wonderful thing.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:54:27 »
Good luck with it, but for me the combination of the 5mm plate, the none standard stagger and fixed layout makes it a pass.

As a finicky aside, it's also 45% not 40 :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2018, 09:58:09 by ChrisSwires »

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 10:25:23 »
Oh man, was sorta hoping the usb port would be in the same spot as the Pearl's. As a Pearl owner I would LOVE to get a true QMK atmega32u4 Pcb for it and it seems that this PCB, assuming you use a 6.25 layout, would be a match.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 10:36:49 »
No way this is just what I asked for. My PayPal is ready for one (maybe two  :p

Offline MMKB

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 11:02:22 »
Curious about the choice of 1.5u Left Control and 1.5u Enter
Have you considered 1.25u Left Control and 1.75u Enter which is on more 40/45% keyboard iirc
Reason I mentioned the latter is that almost all gmk key sets have a 1.75u row 3 profile cap in them rather than 1.5u row 3. And 1.75u Enter is part of many 40% kits, e.g., GMK DMG, 9009, Terminal

Anyway that’s just the profile-correctness in me. GLWB!

Offline myyrddraal

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 14:06:52 »
Bent wrists (non split), bad movements of the fingers on staggered (non ortholinear) and reduced advantages of small layout because of the bad bottom row. Thank you, despite absolutely exceptional engineering, I'll pass on this one.

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 14:35:09 »
IC form filled out. Maybe it's a bit early, but any idea on estimated pricing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline MMKB

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 16:08:29 »
Bent wrists (non split), bad movements of the fingers on staggered (non ortholinear) and reduced advantages of small layout because of the bad bottom row. Thank you, despite absolutely exceptional engineering, I'll pass on this one.

The definition of "bad" is quite subjective on this matter. I know some find the bottom row atrociously limited but for me blockers & long spacebar is pure beauty. People being free to invest in whatever they appreciate is what makes me keep checking GH.  :D

Offline azharkh

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 16:13:42 »
oof this is so good

hopefully i can afford it lol pour one out for us poverty kids

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 16:19:15 »
As a standard touch typist, My Right index finger will be really stretching to hit that “Y”. Not very ergonomic as it stands right now.

Offline myyrddraal

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 16:56:14 »

The definition of "bad" is quite subjective on this matter. I know some find the bottom row atrociously limited but for me blockers & long spacebar is pure beauty. People being free to invest in whatever they appreciate is what makes me keep checking GH.  :D
oh of course it's my opinion, which was asked I reckon. anyway. the keyboard is a beauty no doubt about that. but things considered a masterpiece by any particular person must fulfill almost perfection in both aesthetics and functionality.

Offline phatty

• dailyclack.com
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 17:13:25 »

oh of course it's my opinion, which was asked I reckon. anyway. the keyboard is a beauty no doubt about that. but things considered a masterpiece by any particular person must fulfill almost perfection in both aesthetics and functionality.

Nope, turns out in this thread no one cares about your opinion.

Time for you to go away to split ortho threads and not re-emerge from there.

Offline Justin_aka_OsP_SSJ4

• Chellow... it's me...
    • My Twitch
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 17:16:24 »
"A savvvvvvvy young pair approach the Dragons looking for investment in their 40% premium keyboard. Estimated production of 50 units, a high price tag but a promise of world class quality. But will it be enough to sway the Dragons into investing?

Tonight on Dragons Den"

Bent wrists (non split), bad movements of the fingers on staggered (non ortholinear) and reduced advantages of small layout because of the bad bottom row. Thank you, despite absolutely exceptional engineering, I am OUT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad you pointed out the board isnt a split ortho board. I was confused for a minute there.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2018, 17:20:24 by Justin_aka_OsP_SSJ4 »
DC60 w/ DZ60 PCB & Steel plate w/ 3mm neoprene foam - 68g Chellows Lubed w/ 3204 - Find me on twitch/twitter Osprey_SSJ4

Offline MMKB

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 17:32:33 »
As a standard touch typist, My Right index finger will be really stretching to hit that “Y”. Not very ergonomic as it stands right now.

Agree. I don’t see the need to shift the way rows are staggered. Another reason for 1.25u left Control IMHO.

Offline babyphil

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 20:32:43 »
PCB looks like it supports normal stagger is that a possibility?

Offline joe405

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 21:11:29 »
I agree with the comments on the stagger and size of tab/enter. Even with making those keys 1.5u one can't find/use base set keycaps in the right profile.

IMO it creates more problems than it solves. A nice keyboard like this is worth getting a 40% compatibility set for!

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 05:07:37 »
Not very sure about this R3 layout as some others have already voiced their opinions. Recent GMK sets don't even provide 1.5/1.5 R3s afaik so that just limits your options to mostly DSA or other flat profile keysets

Offline salasource

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 06:22:33 »
Good luck with it, but for me the combination of the 5mm plate, the none standard stagger and fixed layout makes it a pass.

As a finicky aside, it's also 45% not 40 :)
Stagger is definitely not ideal, but there are many people who for some reason are willing to buy 200-300+USD keyboards but are not willing to buy that 40% keycap set to go with standard staggered 40-45% keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 December 2018, 06:38:53 by salasource »

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 08:13:54 »
Well, it's the same layout as that of the Pearl, which had a successful GB, so I'm sure this will be fine. No split spacebars support in a 40% build is a huge miss though.

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 December 2018, 08:18:25 by nguyenhimself »

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 10:43:38 »
I've been pinged like crazy about this post! I'd like to say, great job team. Project looks really nice and I love it. I'm sure we all wish you the best if a GB runs and thank you for bringing another cool project into the market! ;D

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 11:07:35 »
Looks great, interested in color options for different layers and split space. Filled out the form  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 December 2018, 11:26:06 by RealLaugh »

Offline Wing

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 11:20:23 »
Hi everyone! Thank you for all the feedback. You have spoken and we have heard you loud and clear. Currently, there are a few things we wish to address.
  • Due to all of your overwhelming requests, split spacebars will definitely be implemented in the final build of the keyboard.
  • There will be no hotswap pcb. In our experiences, hotswap sockets are less secure in holding in switches and are more prone to breakage and durability issues. Additionally, hotswap boards in testing delivers worse acoustics than soldered PCBs.
  • We've noticed that the stagger has been a focal point of discussion thus far and we still need a bit more time to reach a decision on that matter.
Regarding the stagger-

We do believe that the Pearl's layout is the quintessential integration of the 40% form. The reasons why we have utilised the current layout, also outlined by Koobaczech with the Pearl, are as follows:
  • The current stagger allows you to comfortably use any ANSI keycap without requiring any supplementary 40% kits.
  • Widening the key set compatibility makes it more accessible to a larger range of people, including those who currently don't own any 40% kits for their sets
  • The stagger shifts all of the keys on the home row by approximately 5mm. From my own experiences, I found it to be a minuscule change which did not serve as much as a hindrance to speed, comfort or ergonomics as one might expect. Though, do take this with a grain of salt as I personally switch between ortholinear and staggered layouts regularly so it could be quite subjective.
However despite this belief, we also understand why people would prefer the normal stagger. As the board was initially a one-off custom, this was something we did not previously need to place into consideration.

We're not too sure whether to implement the normal stagger or stick with the current layout. We are currently exploring the possibility of implementing two separate plates to support both layouts. However, we all must consider the ramifications on the logistics and cost of the board; more options would most likely equate to increased costs from the manufacturer. We will likely be running another poll relating exclusively to the stagger once we have more data and analyses on our end.

I will definitely be editing the main post to add any significant updates, which should come within the next few days so please bear with me. SolidSnake and I would also like to give a special thank you to Koobaczech for being so gracious about this project. Thank you so much!

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 11:25:57 »
Having used the Pearl for a significant amount of time I can say I don’t even notice the offset stagger when switching back and forth between keyboards.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 16:36:18 »
For key compatibility, are you recommending that people use R2 1.5u keys (Tab and |\) on the home row, instead of proper R3 1.5u keys? Otherwise I think R3 1.5u (especially two of them) is quite a bit rarer than 1.25 and 1.75, the former of which is standard is 40% kits and the latter of which is in a standard 104-key kit (Caps Lock), or in HHKB-compatible kits (as Control or Function).
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 17:17:24 »
Can anyone explain to me how this would sound? Not a fan of integrated plate but this isn't technically one, but definitely a thiccboi

Offline MMKB

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 19:33:39 »
For key compatibility, are you recommending that people use R2 1.5u keys (Tab and |\) on the home row, instead of proper R3 1.5u keys? Otherwise I think R3 1.5u (especially two of them) is quite a bit rarer than 1.25 and 1.75, the former of which is standard is 40% kits and the latter of which is in a standard 104-key kit (Caps Lock), or in HHKB-compatible kits (as Control or Function).

I can't comment on the reachability of the different staggering but let's assume it's a non-issue. We are still looking at less compatibility. I think the granddaddy of 40% all have the standard staggering for good reasons.

An incomplete list of kits that have R3 1.25u Control or Tab & 1.75u Enter:
  • GMK 9009 40s kit
  • GMK Jamón 40s kit
  • GMK DMG 40s kit
  • GMK Terminal R2 40s kit
  • GMK Serika 40s kit
  • GMK Nautilus
  • (Plus you could always use R3 1.75u Control or Fn as Enter and it's in pretty much every base set.)

An incomplete list of kits that have R3 1.50u Control or tab & 1.50u Enter:

• GMK DMG 40s kit
  • GMK Serika 40s kit
  • (Plus you could always use R2 1.5u Tab and R2 1.5u |\ which are in every base set but in the wrong profile.)

Let me know if I missed anything. I think 60% became huge partly because the layouts have quickly converged (into ANSI/ISO/HHKB/WKL). If we could agree on something and make it the standard of 40%, we should be able to see more growth in 40%. Again I'm only voice my concern since this is interest check. Your project could be totally opininated and I respect your design choice.  ;)

Offline apossardt

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 21:48:55 »
Using a pearl as my daily driver and I didnt have any issues with the stagger after the first week or so of using so I'm all in. Great to hear you'll be implementing split space, I personally would never buy a sub 60% board without the option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 21:49:35 »
really wacky

im sold
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 23:11:57 »
Nice board & as a 1up jd40 user, I love sandwich 40% MKB setups! & see you were here Koob, good to see you active again!

Offline Jkshowman

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 11:13:35 »
will a polycarb base be an option? if so, im in! so many great smaller form factors in IC right now :)

Offline rope

• yeet
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 12:18:11 »
this looks really nice, i guess it's time for me to try 40%

Offline beekey

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 12:33:29 »
My only other dream would be a WKL version. Would look awesome. :)

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 14:30:31 »

I can't comment on the reachability of the different staggering but let's assume it's a non-issue. We are still looking at less compatibility. I think the granddaddy of 40% all have the standard staggering for good reasons.

An incomplete list of kits that have R3 1.25u Control or Tab & 1.75u Enter:
  • GMK 9009 40s kit
  • GMK Jamón 40s kit
  • GMK DMG 40s kit
  • GMK Serika 40s kit
  • GMK Nautilus
  • (Plus you could always use R3 1.75u Control or Fn as Enter and it's in pretty much every base set.)

An incomplete list of kits that have R3 1.50u Control or tab & 1.50u Enter:

• GMK DMG 40s kit
  • GMK Serika 40s kit
  • (Plus you could always use R2 1.5u Tab and R2 1.5u |\ which are in every base set but in the wrong profile.)

Let me know if I missed anything. I think 60% became huge partly because the layouts have quickly converged (into ANSI/ISO/HHKB/WKL). If we could agree on something and make it the standard of 40%, we should be able to see more growth in 40%. Again I'm only voice my concern since this is interest check. Your project could be totally opininated and I respect your design choice.  ;)

Thanks for putting this list together.

You can add GMK Necro and GMK/Uniqey G:01 to the 1.25/1.75 list.

However maybe 2x1.5u will start to become more of "a thing" with two boards on the market supporting it. It's just a question of what the market will bear. You can't keep inflating base kits, but 40s kits (like Colevrak and NorDe) tend to do poorly in group buys. We'll see how the DMG 40s kit does after the rescue buyout. If they are able to clear their stock in a reasonable time frame, it could signal to the market that 40s kits are more viable, hopefully also shrinking base kits in the process, and making GMK more affordable for everyone.

Edit: maybe we will also start to see better 40% support from the new profiles coming out, KAT and MDA, or from lower-priced manufacturers who are starting to make more upmarket products, like NPKC and WinMix (who AFAIK both make very passable keycaps for KPRepublic).
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 December 2018, 14:41:20 by tex_live_utility »
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline sleepy

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 17:05:07 »
Unfortunately missed the Pearl, and this reminds me of that a lot. I'd probably be in for one if you do a GB!

Offline Wing

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 07:04:48 »
Can anyone explain to me how this would sound? Not a fan of integrated plate but this isn't technically one, but definitely a thiccboi

We'll be recording a sound test for the keyboard in the near future!

Offline RivieraS

• Yutop
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 22:31:34 »
cant wait

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 01:46:05 »
I've been pinged like crazy about this post! I'd like to say, great job team. Project looks really nice and I love it. I'm sure we all wish you the best if a GB runs and thank you for bringing another cool project into the market! ;D

Nice board & as a 1up jd40 user, I love sandwich 40% MKB setups! & see you were here Koob, good to see you active again!

Koob awakens!!

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 10:35:21 »
This board and the Space65 are really exciting. Can't wait for the GBs!

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 21:25:46 »
This is an amazing looking board!! Kudos on it  ;D

I do own a Pearl myself and can attest that the stagger is nothing to demerit this board against, if you don't like it then don't buy this one lol

You know, I might actually prefer this stagger to the standard stagger...  :eek:

Anyways, this looks magnificent and although I know I won't be able to participate I wish you all the best of luck when this goes to GB :D

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 13:52:16 »
Any idea when we can expect this to run?

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 02:42:01 »
It look realllly nice!
I missed the 40% pearl, I think -if there is split spacebar- that I will join for some 40% :D

Offline Lormania

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 20:43:41 »
I'm a looking, and I'm a liking

Offline hndle

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 08:02:01 »
I'm waiting ;)