Author Topic: Filco Majestouch 2 Browns Muddy...  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Keytrun

Filco Majestouch 2 Browns Muddy...
« on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 02:31:57 »
So my filco isn't nearly as responsive as it once was. Is there anything I can do for it without unsoldering every damn switch and lubing it? The keys feel muddy and require more force to press than my keyboard with blues. Any advice?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Filco Majestouch 2 Browns Muddy...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 05:36:05 »
Has something e.g. liquid found its way into the keyboard?

A mechanical keyboard should not suddenly change its feel - the switches are rates for something like 20 million actuations each!

And Filco is a very reputable brand.

Or, and I say this tongue in cheek, have you woken up to the gritty half-tactile sensation of MX browns at last? ;) :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 07:28:42 »
Do you sweat a lot when typing? I mean REALLY a lot?

It does seem weird that they feel different. I found my Browns to simply get smoother with lots of use, so I would say they become MORE responsive, not less. So I would suspect something has made it's way into the switches and is "muddying" up the works.

Either that or your fingers are telling you they don't like Browns. But my fingers love them, so that can't be...  :rolleyes:
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 16:57:07 »
Maybe its just dirty? I don't sweat at all. No liquid in the keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:58:47 »
Switches shouldn't get dirty.  If you keep the keycaps on, nothing should "fall" into the switch.  A very little dust might, might, get under the keycaps onto the plate and then get blown up under the keycap and into the switch.  But this is unlikely to have a noticeable effect on many switches on the board, even over time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 06:32:42 »
Usually I would say you are probably imagining things. But you mention that they feel heavier than your blues, which really does sound odd. Can you say anything about the conditions under which the keyboard is used/ stored? Many people here have Filcos and I have also used them for a long time (with browns) and a sudden change in feel without any apparent reason is something I have never heard before. 
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 00:36:18 »
Its not a "sudden" change. Its been gradually getting worse. Its hard to explain, but my key's are just hard to press and not fun at all to type on anymore.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 05:09:53 »
Sounds more like you might be getting tired of browns.

Maybe time to try a new switch?

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 15:09:02 »
Sounds more like you might be getting tired of browns.

I can't see how that would make them stiffer — it's a very light switch.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 03:53:50 »
You see this in all dictatorships... the individuals get tired of being op-pressed and start to increase resistance.

Feed them more propoganda as lubrication to promote smoother functioning. Or ply them with alcohol if that doesn't work.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 17:41:04 »
How can I lube the switches without opening them all up / resoldering?

If I press my arrow keys they're nice and clicky claky. My main keys just are harder to press and don't fee fun to type on at all anymore. They have much more resistance than they used to.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 02:50:00 »
How can I lube the switches without opening them all up / resoldering?

If I press my arrow keys they're nice and clicky claky. My main keys just are harder to press and don't fee fun to type on at all anymore. They have much more resistance than they used to.

It's possible to lube the side of the sliders with a syringe and needle by removing the keycaps, depressing the slider and applying the lube with the syringe in each side of the switch at the top of the slider sides. This will only lube the slider sides, though, not the spring or contact are of the slider.

I have no idea what has happened to your switches, definitely doesn't seem normal and all I can think of is that they've got some foreign substance in them from what you're describing. In that case, the lubing may help.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.