Author Topic: Mad Max Original Trilogy  (Read 2179 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Mad Max Original Trilogy
« on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 19:29:03 »
Totally Still holds up, just look at these screenz

278407-0
278409-1

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Mad Max Original Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 20:10:22 »
The first 2 were the best.
They went off the rails after that, they were too goofy and Hollywood for me.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 03:04:56 »
I liked all in original trilogy.
I remember I watched Mad Max 2 first (I've seen Mad Max 1 long time after second), when I was 7 years old (1987), my 6yro cousin visited us, adults were sitting in living room watching it on big screen and me and cousin were quietly watching it on small 14" black and white tv Neptun 150 :) Back then I would never thought it was pretty cool, watching postapo movie on kinda retro "steampunk" tv :D

« Last Edit: Fri, 12 November 2021, 03:11:00 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 03:24:40 »
Beyond Thunderdome is a great action classic. Basically an anime.

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 03:42:45 »

Yep, it was good, I enjoyed watching it every time I did.
Why anime? :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 04:43:15 »

Yep, it was good, I enjoyed watching it every time I did.
Why anime? :)

I guess I always associated it with Fist Of The North Star which I saw way before Thunderdome, even though the movie came out like a year before

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 17:43:38 »
I remember I watched Mad Max 2 first (I've seen Mad Max 1 long time after second), when I was 7 years old (1987), my 6yro cousin visited us, adults were sitting in living room watching it on big screen and me and cousin were quietly watching it on small 14" black and white tv Neptun 150 :) Back then I would never thought it was pretty cool, watching postapo movie on kinda retro "steampunk" tv :D

On modern tvs, just turn the saturation setting all the way down, and you get Black and White Retro mode.

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 03:03:28 »

On modern tvs, just turn the saturation setting all the way down, and you get Black and White Retro mode.

You know, this could be a good idea, I need to try it out on my OLED, I'm hoping for a totally new level of black and white experience on those.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 08:39:27 »

You know, this could be a good idea, I need to try it out on my OLED, I'm hoping for a totally new level of black and white experience on those.

In many cases it's actually Toooo black,  because CRTs didn't have perfect black across all scenes only dimly lit scenes.

Crt behavior was more like projector.

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 01:20:39 »
wait what? no CRT do not nearly function like projectors, or you are talking about projection tvs (a bit shallower than CRT, much lighter and used a projector behind the screen), CRT do not have as deep a black as modern TVs for sure, when off you can see the metallic grid making it dark gray and not pure black, but it is not a white reflective screen
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 06:36:15 »
wait what? no CRT do not nearly function like projectors, or you are talking about projection tvs (a bit shallower than CRT, much lighter and used a projector behind the screen), CRT do not have as deep a black as modern TVs for sure, when off you can see the metallic grid making it dark gray and not pure black, but it is not a white reflective screen

The way the contrast ratio dips with increased on screen brightness is exactly like projectors.

They actually have BETTER "deep blacks" than modern TVs  but ONLY if on screen elements are dim.

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 07:24:50 »
i only have CRTs right now at home when talking TV, but all my monitors (cheap and old LCDs from HP and iyama) have deeper blacks than my shadowmask CRTs, will see soon-ish if trinitrons are better, in theory should be, just need to load it into the car 700km away, unload it at my place and go up a flight of stairs with a 32 in CRT...
and i have a few CRTs (5) because i like old consoles and they are cheap, well actually they were all free but one :)
thinking about it kinda feel like the TP4 of CRT TVs
although so far what i have seen is that late small CRTs seem to have worse blacks than bigger models, so knowing TP4's screen habits i'd guess he has more experience with higher end CRT than me :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 07:43:04 »

You wouldn't buy crts nowadays, because they're not practical except for nostalgia purposes.

They need to warm up, especially the large ones, as the color response changes dramatically between cold and warm

The caps are all out of spec at this point, so your base voltage offsets are all out of wack, this is partly responsible for floating blacks which aren't quite black any more.

One way to ghetto fix this is drop the contrast all the way down, and just use the gpu's gamma table to lift the end of the curve.    This is is not perfect but it works in most cases since the display portion is analog.

There's nothing particularly special about trinitrons "at this point" because of how drifted everything is.  Their slight advantage is the squareish arrangement of subpixels for a digital-look, but the majority of "crt" era content was not designed for that, so they don't really look nice (just ok).

But if anyone's nostalgia'n hard,   running modern games on crt is pretty fun. and its response time is arguably faster than even Oled. .