Author Topic: My Realforce is 9 years old  (Read 2275 times)

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
My Realforce is 9 years old
« on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 23:26:29 »
Damn. Look at how yellow it has gotten.
Took it out from storage for a denture tab cleaning.

Bought it back in 2011. The domes still feel pretty good.

242831-0

Offline typo

Re: My Realforce is 9 years old
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 00:33:02 »
That is why I prefer the black ones. in any keycaps,frame.  It may not penetrate it that old. good luck!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 00:34:44 »
Got that nice vintage look now :cool:

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 00:47:20 »
That is why I prefer the black ones. in any keycaps,frame.  It may not penetrate it that old. good luck!

The lasered markings on my black HHKB is wearing off a bit

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 12:03:36 »
Got that nice vintage look now :cool:

Yeah, I actually love that ancient yellowed look. I plan to never retrobrite any of my old boards.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 20:57:07 »
Now that I have been using it for the past day or so, the domes actually feel stiffer.
The 45g zone feels like 55g (I have no scientific way to measure it), and the spacebar is quite stiff due to the aging.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 20:57:41 »
Yellowed ABS > all
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 22:49:47 »
One from my recently retired Klaxon key caps.
7 years of heavy use, besides the gouges, the top surface has been worn down by about 2 sheets of paper.

My nails are short, this is just a lot of wear on what I suspect is soft ABS.
242931-0
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 23:06:47 »
Not lasered but dyesub. should never wear off.  come to think of it, ABS yellow yes. PBT, not so much. something wrong? Would report to Topre. Especially in storage. unless sitting under UV light? Strange. Leslie, that shows how soft ABS is but it is strong stuff. They make industrial machines out of it. It depends on a lot of properties of the formulation too. Those are cheap key caps above. Good ABS like GMK does not do that. Yours is not even shiny. Might in fact be cheap PBT right there.

I would like you to call Topre and get warranty. I bet they have no problem. that is not right.

Offline subcat

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 23:15:15 »
Not lasered but dyesub. should never wear off.  come to think of it, ABS yellow yes. PBT, not so much. something wrong? Would report to Topre. Especially in storage. unless sitting under UV light? Strange. Leslie, that shows how soft ABS is but it is strong stuff. They make industrial machines out of it. It depends on a lot of properties of the formulation too. Those are cheap key caps above. Good ABS like GMK does not do that. Yours is not even shiny. Might in fact be cheap PBT right there.

I would like you to call Topre and get warranty. I bet they have no problem. that is not right.

the cases aren't pbt, only the keycaps. this is relatively normal

Offline ollir_

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 01:38:28 »
The yellowing gives it some credibility - looks nice :)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 02:09:01 »
Still got my HHKB Pro 1 2003 rocking. They just get better as they age :D
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 03:46:08 »
Speaking of the yellow color, I get questions from my colleagues as to why am I using such an 'old' keyboard.
If only they knew

Offline ollir_

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 03:58:40 »
Speaking of the yellow color, I get questions from my colleagues as to why am I using such an 'old' keyboard.
If only they knew

I have been asked the same about my white Realforce and it hasn't even yellowed noticeably.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 10:03:15 »
If only they knew

It isn't black, so it must be ancient. That's probably the assumption. I think it would be humorous to bring in one of the few black keyboards from the 1980s for a while and watch the comments cease.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 10:52:36 »
I got a couple of comments on how old my white Realforce looks, but when I typed some words for one of my coworkers, she said it had such a nice sound she could listen to me type on it all day.  Right now I've replaced it with a black Cherry G80-3000, which looks like one of those black keyboards out of the '80s, but I haven't gotten a single comment on that one yet.  By now my coworkers probably figure it's just another one of my odd keyboards. :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 11:40:49 »
I got a couple of comments on how old my white Realforce looks, but when I typed some words for one of my coworkers, she said it had such a nice sound she could listen to me type on it all day.  Right now I've replaced it with a black Cherry G80-3000, which looks like one of those black keyboards out of the '80s, but I haven't gotten a single comment on that one yet.  By now my coworkers probably figure it's just another one of my odd keyboards. :)

Probably. I work in IT, so it is fun to see the memories that are jogged in people's minds when they notice my old IBM keyboards. Plenty of conversations about 1980s technology have arisen from just having some weird old keyboard sitting on my desk.