Author Topic: What ya reading?  (Read 127568 times)

Offline brennan08512

Re: What ya reading?
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 16:45:04 »
Looking to get back into reading for fun and not just for school. If anybody has a good psychological thriller or something along the lines of that they they recommend, hit me up.

Offline Jhors2

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 17:11:54 »
I just finished Orwell's 1984, and about to start some works by Noam Chomsky.  The last quarter of 1984 is a wild ride.
Duck Blackbird | Duck LSv3 | Duck Unicorn X Legend |  TX-75 | Mira SE | LZ-CP | LZ Iron | LZ Ergo | Duck Jet Fire | OTD 360 Corsa Apple Silver | TGR-910 CE

Incoming: Zeal Zephyr | Duck TC-V3 | Singa R2 | LZ GH v2 | Noxary 280 S | Noxary 220 S

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 19:29:15 »
I just finished Orwell's 1984, and about to start some works by Noam Chomsky.  The last quarter of 1984 is a wild ride.

Yeah, that's about the only part that got me. The beginning and ending were great, but the rest was super flat to me. Could've been written way better.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 13:24:55 »
Arthur Schopenhauer, The World As Will And Representation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 15:23:48 »
The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_and_the_Brightest
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 16:45:10 »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Tactile

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 13:46:22 »
Echoes of Honor by David Weber
REΛLFORCE

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:33:01 »
Neuromancer by Gibson, somewhat the book that started cyberpunk SF subgenre. AND IT SUCKS. Anybody care to suggest proper cyberpunk books? I'm technically obsessed with the universe: megacorporation and high technology basically gone wrong in the nearby future, seems realistic
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Tactile

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:43:23 »
Neuromancer by Gibson, somewhat the book that started cyberpunk SF subgenre. AND IT SUCKS. Anybody care to suggest proper cyberpunk books? I'm technically obsessed with the universe: megacorporation and high technology basically gone wrong in the nearby future, seems realistic

You might like Virtual Light, the first of the "bridge trilogy". Bruce Sterling's Islands in the Net is an old, but pretty good one. And I'm sure everyone would recommend Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
REΛLFORCE

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:44:13 »

You might like Virtual Light, the first of the "bridge trilogy". Bruce Sterling's Islands in the Net is an old, but pretty good one. And I'm sure everyone would recommend Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

Thanks! I'll check 'm out.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:59:03 »
Also, Pat Cadigan has been called the "Queen of Cyberpunk". I'd start with Synners.
REΛLFORCE

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:10:51 »
Also, Pat Cadigan has been called the "Queen of Cyberpunk". I'd start with Synners.

Thanks! Time to get up on ol' Amazon and order me some thick paper and crawl up on the couch for some good reading time.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:30:15 »

somewhat the book that started cyberpunk SF subgenre. AND IT SUCKS.

megacorporation and high technology basically gone wrong

At the time it came out it was revolutionary, but it has not aged well.
Likewise "The Difference Engine" to steampunk (but the chapter with the prostitute near the middle of the book is extraordinary).

As for "basically gone wrong" it is hard to beat Philip K ****.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:30:55 »
double post, sorry

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:34:55 »

somewhat the book that started cyberpunk SF subgenre. AND IT SUCKS.

megacorporation and high technology basically gone wrong

At the time it came out it was revolutionary, but it has not aged well.
Likewise "The Difference Engine" to steampunk (but the chapter with the prostitute near the middle of the book is extraordinary).

As for "basically gone wrong" it is hard to beat Philip K ****.

Thanks for the background info. I really want to like cyberpunk, it sounds intriguing. I've been trying to get back into literature lately, getting away from the screen more. I used to be into thrillers. So I bought "The Stand" unabridged from Stephen King, thinking I could make it through 1300 pages. I read 1100 of em and the book is god afwul. I haven't touched a book since Neuromancer. Been halfway through it, hate it. Superficial, too much colloquial unexplained terms, not enough about how places look etc, setting the stage. Pace and speed are good though. It odes read as a thriller.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 18:39:51 »

I really want to like cyberpunk, it sounds intriguing.

Both cyberpunk and steampunk "seem" better as concepts than they actually read, 98% of the time.

Cyberpunk is scratching at the edge of a venue that science fiction has been exploring for decades.

I will submit Alastair Reynolds as a spectacular writer with mind-boggling ideas.

Offline Nexg3nz13

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 21:34:32 »
Anyone pick up the new Thrawn book? I want to grab it this weekend and get to it.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 21:11:15 »
I put Honor Harrington back on the shelf and switched to When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger. I was intrigued enough when I read a description I couldn't wait.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Tactile

« Reply #168 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 18:23:22 »
The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle. I want to read The Gripping Hand, the sequel, but I thought I should re-read Mote first.
REΛLFORCE

Offline fleischverpackung

« Reply #169 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 12:21:18 »
Dune.
Man, that was much better than the movie.
And what a shame it was done by Lynch and not Jodorowsky  :mad:

Offline yuppie

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 12:32:54 »
The Good Earth
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 13:19:13 »
In addition to the comics I'm reading, I just started Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicles. I used to read a **** ton but stopped for a while only to have picked it up again recently. I'm also listening to Diskworld on audio book while drifting off to sleep which makes for some great dreaming fodder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I find Murakami very plain, I don't like his style. Maybe it has something to do with the Italian translation. Just to make an example of what I like, I name Philip Roth and Oe Kenzaburo

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 14:18:24 »
Freaking stupid textbooks.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 17:27:40 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 17:28:46 »
The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle. I want to read The Gripping Hand, the sequel, but I thought I should re-read Mote first.
I didn't know there was a sequel. Now I have to go get it! I found "Mote" thought-provoking ...

And what a shame it was done by Lynch and not Jodorowsky  :mad:
I'm not so sure. As much as Lynch's Dune has weak points and is weird in places, Jodorowsky's Dune would have been an LSD trip ...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 19:17:51 »

I found "Mote" thought-provoking ...

As much as Lynch's Dune has weak points and is weird in places, Jodorowsky's Dune would have been an LSD trip ...

My thoughts too.

I was a huge Niven fan in the 1960s-1970s, and still think that the "known space" cycle was a great and particularly satisfying science fiction epic opera. "Mote" was fascinating and probably deserves a re-read. Niven's work could be mined for multiple wonderful films.

Dune deserves a good clean modern treatment. Jodorowsky and Lynch were notorious for being wild and weird back in the day, which Dune really isn't, despite its counterculture reputation in its time due to its drug references. Ultimately, it is a good strong straightforward science fiction story that really needs and merits a proper film adaptation. 

Offline Tactile

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 10:20:52 »
The Brilliant Diaster by James Rasenberger

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9730379-the-brilliant-disaster

Ooohh.. I really enjoyed that one. A really fascinating, detailed telling of a bit of history.
REΛLFORCE

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 17:44:38 »
About half way through Dawn of Wonder; It was recommended after I was reading The Name of the Wind... its similar and just as good so far:

-Dana

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 20:08:44 »

Any other true crime fans in here? Right now I'm reading The Devil in the White City, which is all about H.H. Holmes and his murder castle. Going into it, I thought the book would solely be about Holmes, but it actually jumps back and forth as the author details the planning and construction of the world's fair in Chicago. I'm liking it so far... and a while back I heard that Scorsese was planning on turning the story into a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 20:25:01 »
Show Image

Any other true crime fans in here? Right now I'm reading The Devil in the White City, which is all about H.H. Holmes and his murder castle. Going into it, I thought the book would solely be about Holmes, but it actually jumps back and forth as the author details the planning and construction of the world's fair in Chicago. I'm liking it so far... and a while back I heard that Scorsese was planning on turning the story into a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio.

I really enjoyed that one and also his book Thunderstruck. You might also enjoy American Lightning by Howard Blum.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Engels

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 10:12:39 »
"Steve Jobs"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #181 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 10:27:00 »
"Steve Jobs"

The one by Isaacson? That was a good one. And I thought his biography of Eienstein was even better.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 10:46:43 »

Offline yuppie

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 12:10:50 »
Just got done reading The Good Earth, need to find something else now.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4

Offline wesleyjhere

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:43:16 »
Has anyone listened to/read "We are legion [we are bob]"?

Offline bearz42

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 09:20:31 »
Reading Soul by Andrei Platonov right now.

It's pretty great. I'm a big fan of Russian lit so that's usually what I read.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 10:38:08 »
First go-round with 1984. Please be kind :-[ :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 10:49:23 »
First go-round with 1984. Please be kind :-[ :))

I think this type of dystopian construct take very large liberties with a human's ability to _remain_ dedicated.

You might join a cult,    but once the honeymoon period's over,   and they're not doing the free shrimp buffets no more.. 

WHY STAY ??

Brain washing is one thing,   but it's actually tremendously difficult to keep people in that state without creating debilitating mental trauma..  so much so that they wouldn't be able to procreate effectively or DO WORK..

So, then they give you the argument, well, this is the imagining of a totalitarian regime at its worst..

Yea, but what has history shown, NONE of these types of regimes stand for very long..   

So it's not a dystopian future,   it's more of a dystopian civil war regime.. 

Either way,  there's nothing to fear for humanity if the timescale is lengthened beyond 20-30 years.

Skynet is much more realistic..

Though of course Tp4 is already 100% skynet compatible.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 11:02:46 »
Right now, I am reading The Bartimeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I am nearing the end of the second book The Golem's Eye.
It is set mostly in present-day London but in an alternative universe where Britain has a big empire because of magicians having seized power during the Victorian age. "Magicians" however, perform no magic on their own: all of their power comes from more or less invisible demons of various types that they have summoned and forced to obey.
Each chapter is told from the perspective of a teenage boy magician, a young girl in the underground anti-magician Resistance ... or the age-old djinn Bartimeus.

I was a huge Niven fan in the 1960s-1970s, and still think that the "known space" cycle was a great and particularly satisfying science fiction epic opera. "Mote" was fascinating and probably deserves a re-read. Niven's work could be mined for multiple wonderful films.
The Mote series was co-authored with Jerry Pournelle. I read just now that Pournelle passed away yesterday. His family posted about it on their his web site.

Pournelle was also a columnist in Byte magazine when that existed. It used to be the most significant computer magazine in the '80s and '90s.
I have also read Niven and Pournelle's book "Footfall": about an alien invasion of Earth. In that one, the aliens had invaded only to spread their religion in which they worship a third, now extinct race that had once manipulated their genes for having as semi-intelligent slaves.

Offline iri

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 12:10:35 »

russian literature best literature
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Tactile

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 12:51:59 »

Not exactly literaturee but I enjoyed both Roadside Picnic and Metro 2033 quite a lot. I'd like to read more Russian SciFi.
REΛLFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 13:03:33 »

Not exactly literaturee but I enjoyed both Roadside Picnic and Metro 2033 quite a lot. I'd like to read more Russian SciFi.

Congratulations,  You've just made the list @ NSA Skynet.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 14:35:19 »
I read both those Name of the Wind books last year. They're really good, bar a little bit of stupid power fantasy **** in the second installment.

Reading After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley by Rob Reid. It's sort of a sci-fi apocalypse novel about social networking and AI. I'm only a third of the way through but it's pretty entertaining thus far. Definitely an improvement on the guys last book which had a funny and promising premise but didn't live up to it very much.

Offline bearz42

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 16:23:26 »

It really is though. Something always draws me back to russian writers. I love a long, dry, bleak read so it's kind of the perfect for me.

Offline iri

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 14:34:21 »

It really is though. Something always draws me back to russian writers. I love a long, dry, bleak read so it's kind of the perfect for me.
Then Leskov might be the ideal author for you.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yuppie

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:08:04 »
Too Like the Lightning: http://a.co/625pqLd

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 20:42:12 »
Bought a number of epubs/ebooks from Play Store, got into this sea monster phase so I've bought Steve Alten's MEG series and Vostok. I was surprised that MEG is in the process of being made with a release date next year, that it has a budget of 150 million bodes well since SFX is gonna play a major part in the film. Also read Kronos by Jeremy Robinson and have just bought 'Below' by Ryan Lockwood.......can't get enough sea monsters. I have also gotten film novelizations of 'Aliens' by Alan Dead Foster, Suicide Squad by David Ayer and Interstellar by Greg Keyes. Will get into these after I'm done with my 'sea monster' books.....

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 10:44:09 »

got into this sea monster phase

You can go "old school" with this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_World

Offline bearz42

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 06:53:49 »

Then Leskov might be the ideal author for you.

I put him on my to-read list. I'm halfway through Platonov's  soul, then I'm going to start on some Krzhizhanovsky next. Might hit up Leskov after that.

Offline iri

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 14:05:55 »
Read "Caesar" by Shakespeare.

-Ray Bradbury