Author Topic: Now I understand the obsession.  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
Now I understand the obsession.
« on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:31:10 »
I'm an artist, writer, composer, photographer, director, and I'm new to mechanical keyboards. My most important usage of keyboards is for writing novels (I can touch-type and have been doing it since the mid-80's), as well as typical online stuff like blog, forums, and email. I do play games, but not nearly as much as I once did when I was younger (mainly FPS, RPG, and 3rd person action/adventure/horror).

I've only just very recently started to look into mechanical keyboards. I was at Fry's last week looking for a new keyboard, and when I typed on the higher-end gaming keyboards they had on display, I was blown away by how responsive they felt compared to all the keyboards I've ever used (they were blue Cherry MX switches).  I went home and started researching, and pretty soon, I found myself falling down the rabbit hole. I read up on everything I could find via google, watched a bunch of Youtube videos, read forum discussions, etc, and then started obsessing over what I want to try, in what configuration, how I want to customize...etc.

I had known vaguely about mechanical keyboards since I visit Massdrop a lot, so I see a lot of group buys for keycaps and mechanical keyboards. At the time I didn't understand what the hoopla was all about--all seemed oddly obsessive to me (but I totally understand, since I'm part of the head-fi community, photography/camera community, as well as pro audio community, so I "get" the mentality). Anyway, now I totally understand what all those Massdrop group buys means in the context of this obsession.

I'm currently still typing on typical keyboards (A cheap left-handed keyboard I bought in China, an A4Tech left-handed keyboard, and a Logitech G110) , since I've only just placed an order for an Unicomp Eudorapro (since so many say buckling springs is the best for typists, and I don't like paying for out-of-production Model M's that have no warranty or modern features), and it won't arrive for a few days. That one I'll likely only use to type in bed with (while plugged into my Galaxy Note 3 via an adapter, for some before bedtime writing). I checked with the wife first and she listened to the typing sounds on Youtube and said it wouldn't bother her, as long as it's before we turn the lights out.

For my daily driver, I'm looking into getting a Blue Cherry MX keyboard (maybe a WASD TKL with custom keycap colors, or MAX Blackbird TKL with full custom colored LED), or maybe a Topre keyboard (either a RealForce 87u, or NovaTouch). I can't decide yet and might get both types and keep just one and sell the other, or keep both and swap between them periodically (similar to how I swap once a month between the Mad Catz M.M.O.7 mouse and the Logitech G600 mouse). I did also order a MAX Cherry MX switch test kit (the 4 switch version, although I'm trying to exchange it for the 8 switch version), so I can try out the different switches. I looked into the switch test samples bag tours in the forums but it looks I missed all of them.

Anyway, when I finally hit the ground after falling through the rabbit hole, I found myself here, so I thought I'd say hi. :D

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 01:27:34 by Lunatique »

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Re: Now I understand the obsession.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:35:43 »
First of all, welcome to the forum! :D

I am sure you will delve even deeper in the next year or so but just make sure you enjoy your new board first.
And if the Mrs. Lunatique starts stealing yours just buy her one of her own. ;)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 01:26:52 »
Welcome!
I'm surprised that you even have any money left after being involved with photography AND audio stuff lol

Also before going out and spending tons of money just take a look around your local good will and such since they sometimes have Model M's and Dell AT101's there! i know a bunch of people have scored older mech boards there although i have yet to find any mech's here in Japan.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 01:48:11 »
Thanks for the welcome.

@JaccoW - The Mrs. has no interest in serious typing or gaming. Her thing is gardening, food, health, and beauty. She hunts and pecks when she types, so a quality keyboard would be wasted on her anyway...  :p

@Evo_Spec - Yeah, tell me about it. I have sunken probably close to $20,000 on photography gear since I started about 13 years ago, and as for professional audio gear/software/studio construction/acoustic treatment, likely over $40,000 over the last couple of decades. But I can't really choose what I love--my passions are my purpose in life. :D

It's funny, when I decided to focus on writing novels, I thought, "Hey, I'm finally picking something that isn't crazy expensive to devote myself to. Writing software aren't expensive, and any computer can do the job. The books on storytelling/writing and just books in general also aren't crazy expensive. With ebooks, I can carry a whole library on my Galaxy Note 3. And then... MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS.  :'(

Well, at least high-end keyboards are still relatively a lot cheaper compared to audio and photography gear. And since I'm not the collecting type, once I find my perfect daily driver (and likely an alternate that I swap between, just for variety's sake), I'm done. That's why I'll start to disappear from this forum. But until then, you guys will be seeing me around for a while.  ;)

As for scouring Good Will/Salvation Army type of places (or uh, dumpster-diving), I'm generally not into the idea of using something that has no warranty and will cost me a premium to repair or find parts for, as well as not up-to-date in terms of modern features. The Unicomp stuff from all that I've researched, are close enough in typing feel that I think I'll be happy with it (unless I end up disliking buckled spring for some reason, which I think is unlikely, since I loved how responsive blue Cherry MX felt).

Another thing is, with a vibrant community, it shouldn't be hard to sell keyboards I don't want to keep and not lose too much money--or so I hope.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 06:20:13 »
HALLO!  Welcome to the new jones! 

I have to stop hanging around here - even if I stop by to ask a quick question I start thinking about buying another keyboard.  It's brutal.  I was warned and I didn't turn back and now I will never escape the obsession.  I swear a good board helps me THINK better.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 05:14:01 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Be warned that buckling spring and MX blue switches are probably louder than they seem.  YouTube videos can only give so much impression of the sound of the keyboards.  Be prepared to reverse your decision :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 10:59:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Be warned that buckling spring and MX blue switches are probably louder than they seem.  YouTube videos can only give so much impression of the sound of the keyboards.  Be prepared to reverse your decision :p

Yes, I've had the Unicomp for a few days now, and while I love typing on it, doing some things on it is annoyingly loud, such navigating playback of music and video, and any kind of image editing with repetitive key presses to adjust parameters.

I'm now looking into quiet switches like Matias's and silenced Topre.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 December 2014, 15:33:11 by Lunatique »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 15:30:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, I've had the Unicomp for a few days now, and while I love typing on it, doing some things on it is annouingly loud, such navigating playback of music and video, and any kind of image editing with repetitive key presses to adjust parameters.

One extreme to the other :p

Btw after I posted that last post late last night, I was asked to close the computer room door as everyone else was trying to get to sleep, and I was only using Topre switches :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 15:34:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, I've had the Unicomp for a few days now, and while I love typing on it, doing some things on it is annouingly loud, such navigating playback of music and video, and any kind of image editing with repetitive key presses to adjust parameters.

Btw after I posted that last post late last night, I was asked to close the computer room door as everyone else was trying to get to sleep, and I was only using Topre switches :eek:

Do you think they would have complained if you were using Matias quiet or silenced Topre?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 15:36:03 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Do you think they would have complained if you were using Matias quiet or silenced Topre?

Matias - no idea as I've never tried one of those.

Silenced Topre - probably.  I tend to bottom out all the time, even having the keyboard resting on a folded sheet of drawer liner doesn't completely silence it, although it helps a bit.