Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1312929 times)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #1250 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 14:02:56 »
That sure looks like 880 printed on the cans...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1251 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 14:36:17 »
Uh...yeah...duh.  Can't you read?
Russ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1252 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 15:11:55 »
Uh...yeah...duh.  Can't you read?
only headphones, not forum posts
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Namkung

« Reply #1253 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 12:43:34 »
well.. gave my HD800 a good listen for 2 weeks now and I have to say that these sound absolutely amazing. I owned a pair of hd650s before and have listened to the dt990s (600ohm) which I don't feel are really headphones that I can fairly compare with the hd800s. My listening was done with little dot dac / hrt music streamer ii + little dot mk iv se with of course flac (16/44.1) files / wasapi mode on foobar.
There were lots of things that struck me right away when I listened to these headphones for the first time and it still keeps me amazed. The soundstage on this thing is amazing. if you really close your eyes it feels like you are there. I love listening mostly to classical and I have NEVER heard the Martha Argerich's legendary 1965 recording in the way I did with the 800s. Then there is the imaging? I am not sure if I am using the term correctly but with the hd800s it is very obvious where the sound is coming from. if the mic for the orchestra was positioned in the middle then you can very easily hear X and Y instruments coming from left / right side depending on where they are positioned. Even with non classical pieces, I have never heard many of my songs the way I did with the hd800s (Norah Jone's come away with me album comes to mind). I have read that the hd800s are a technological masterpiece and it really sounds just like that. It sounds like an extremely smart headphone. I could prob go on for a lot longer but the last thing I want to comment on is the bass. The bass with these phones are very clean and what surprised me the most was HOW the bass sounded. It almost sounded "3D" . the bass seemed to be multi layered and this is something I couldn't hear with the 650s that I had before. Again, the fact that these headphones are so "smart" is extremely apparent here. I posted pictures on the other thread (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33293.0) so I won't bother posting them here again.

Was reading through the last few pages of this thread and I found the cable discussion pretty interesting haha. I am a sucker for these things and have recabled all of my audio equipment (did not recable my hd800s yet but I will be purchasing moon audio's black dragon cable soon). I purchased a van den hul optical cable, jenna ultra's cryo treated copper rca interconnects, hospital grade power cables, monster clean power surge, and i recabled my hd650s with the oracles from enigma audio. Now I personally think I have pretty good ears when it comes to listening to music considering that I was born perfect pitch and learned / played piano for 15 years+ of my life. But I also know the placebo effect is VERY VERY real . Each time I got my new cables, I felt like I heard slight differences in the sound but after awhile I came to believe it was probably mostly / entirely just a placebo effect but even if I had the hindsight to see this, I would have bought the cables for aesthetic reasons alone. Dem cryo copper cables are sexy ;)

* Proud winner of the first GH SC2 tournament *
REALFORCE 87UB 55g
REALFORCE 87UW 45g

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1254 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 10:51:47 »
i had AKG K701, but sold them as i never really used them that much

i just use my Triple-Fi's now, and my AD700

Offline emptyk

« Reply #1255 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 09:21:43 »
Just got some MEElectronic M21 earphones as a cheap set for use at the gym, etc. Very pleased with the sound for only about $20.00. I think earphone technology is getting better and cheaper every year.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #1256 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:54:42 »
Finally got my little dot mk III! It really does bring out the true strength of the dt 880/600 :D
Looking to upgrade to a Peachtree Dac*it if i can ever find one for a decent price.

PC usb -> E17 w/ L7 Line out -> monoprice premium RCA -> LDMKIII -> dt 880/600

My "portable" setup: Sansa fuze 36gb -> LOD -> cardas cable -> E17 -> dt 770/250 premium

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 August 2012, 11:34:34 by thegunner100 »
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1257 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 06:14:46 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:56:26 by davkol »

Offline Calade

« Reply #1258 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:40:30 »
I've had a Sennheiser PC-360 headset for quite some time now, and they're the most comfortable thing to ever touch my head. Better than pillows, I'm telling you. Perfect for hours and hours and hours of gaming, since your ears don't start to hurt at all. Sound quality in both input and output is also really good, but the bass is not always as deep as one would hope when listening to music. Really solid and stylish piece of gear, too.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #1259 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 12:07:11 »
Everyone in here with the fancy gear makes me jealous...

Offline Drakan290

• Well.
« Reply #1260 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:13:23 »
Just picked up a set of DT990 premiums and an E17 to pair with my E9. I think I'm in love, upgrading from e9+700PROmk2's

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1261 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:25:27 »
I may have missed the post, but I'm surprised no one has any IEMs

http://www.jhaudio.com/product/jh5-pro-custom-ear-monitor

I ordered these in January, they didn't like the molds I sent them and I've been too lazy ever since to get another set to them.  I should probably do that someday soon.

Offline modulor

« Reply #1262 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 10:52:23 »
I may have missed the post, but I'm surprised no one has any IEMs

http://www.jhaudio.com/product/jh5-pro-custom-ear-monitor

I ordered these in January, they didn't like the molds I sent them and I've been too lazy ever since to get another set to them.  I should probably do that someday soon.

I've got a set of HiFiMan RE-262's that I love, but I prefer full headphones personally.  I've never tried, or considered, custom molded IEM's...but they seem interesting and I imagine would offer maximum comfort (one reason I prefer full headphones).

Offline tcv

« Reply #1263 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 17:53:54 »
Currently have the SRH940.

I've owned Sennheiser 555, Audio Technica M50s and Steelseries 7H.

Shure headphones are great but Sennheiser is probably the best brand.

ATH was good and I didn't enjoy the Steelseries headphones.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1264 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 03:42:35 »
5155-0
5157-1
Denon AH-D5000's and and O2 amp  :cool:

Offline tcv

Re: Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #1265 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 16:45:05 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Those are sick. I looked at them and some Beyerdynamics before my last purchase.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1266 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 20:50:55 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Those are sick. I looked at them and some Beyerdynamics before my last purchase.
Thanks, they are the first higher end cans I purchased. I was literally in tears the first time I used them, couldn't believe how much I wasn't hearing before with my M-50's. My next goal is a pair of Audeze LCD 3's.

Offline Will@Drop

• GH Admin & MD Co-Founder
  • * Administrator
    • Massdrop
« Reply #1267 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 02:43:44 »
Any love for the thunderpants mod? Was one of the first guys on head-fi to embark on that quest. This is a pic I took before putting the drivers back in and wiring them up.

Made some damn nice cables for them as well.

« Last Edit: Tue, 02 October 2012, 20:04:24 by BaudlyDamage »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1268 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 03:06:58 »
I have sony mdr-v6's and am looking at a pair denon ah-d2000's to replace them. Also looking at beyerdynamic dv 797 PV's for a nice headset. I also have maudio bx5a v2's which i place to replace with Adam A3X's. I have no clue if all of these even have the same sound profile.

Offline Internauta

« Reply #1269 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 19:42:00 »
Looking to buy some headphones, my budget is around hundred-fitty. I think that would be reasonable price range if I got a decent sound card, such as the Asus Xonar DX http://tinyurl.com/8lh4vos (not included in ideal budget)

Any suggestions on what to buy? I'm afraid to buy something and try it since many headphones are uncomfortable since I have glasses, mainly on the bumpy bus ride(s) for 2 hours a day. Listen to heavy metal and electronic mainly, so a clean EQ would be ideal.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 October 2012, 19:43:38 by Internauta »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1270 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 19:48:13 »
Looking to buy some headphones, my budget is around hundred-fitty. I think that would be reasonable price range if I got a decent sound card, such as the Asus Xonar DX[url]http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-Channel-XONAR_DX-XD-90-YAA060-1UAN00Z/dp/B0017DJXG6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1349224629&sr=8-7&keywords=asus+soundcard/url] (not included in ideal budget)

Any suggestions on what to buy? I'm afraid to buy something and try it since many headphones are uncomfortable since I have glasses, mainly on the bumpy bus ride(s) for 2 hours a day. Listen to heavy metal and electronic mainly, so a clean EQ would be ideal.

Wait... so is this for portable or home use? A ultrasone HFI-580 (with velour pads) might be a good choice if you don't plan on getting a amp. It's on the bassy side, but what would be "clean" to you?

Maybe a noontec zoro? Creative Aurvana live? They're highly praised by tyll, one of the most influential people in the headphone biz.

On a side note... I ordered a dt990/600 last week and got it on wednesday. Have to say that I don't like the brightness of the dt990 compared to the 880. The bass was nice for some genres, but I didn't appreciate the thumping most of the time. Gonna have to send them back sometime this week.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline Internauta

« Reply #1271 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 20:29:31 »
Looking to buy some headphones, my budget is around hundred-fitty. I think that would be reasonable price range if I got a decent sound card, such as the Asus Xonar DX[url]http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-Channel-XONAR_DX-XD-90-YAA060-1UAN00Z/dp/B0017DJXG6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1349224629&sr=8-7&keywords=asus+soundcard/url] (not included in ideal budget)

Wait... so is this for portable or home use? A ultrasone HFI-580 (with velour pads) might be a good choice if you don't plan on getting a amp. It's on the bassy side, but what would be "clean" to you?

Maybe a noontec zoro? Creative Aurvana live? They're highly praised by tyll, one of the most influential people in the headphone biz.

On a side note... I ordered a dt990/600 last week and got it on wednesday. Have to say that I don't like the brightness of the dt990 compared to the 880. The bass was nice for some genres, but I didn't appreciate the thumping most of the time. Gonna have to send them back sometime this week.
A bit of both, portable wouldn't be essential to have great audio but definitely a more enjoyable listening experience than these low-range in ear buds ive used for years. Id say any EQ that doesn't make metal and rock sound muddy, since it what I mostly listen to. I don't have much experience with audio, which may reflect my inaccurate opinions, but would love to get into audio! Ill check out those headphones and similar ones, thanks!

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1272 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 20:39:49 »
If you can spend a little more, and don't mind IEMs, go for a VSonic gr07. They're amazing flat, and slightly warm sounding IEMS. I love how they sound with my Fiio e17 and +4 treble. Pretty good instrumental separation and detail. They also come with lots of tips, so one is bound to fit you properly.

They're my current choice of IEMs for portable/private listening.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1273 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 21:27:55 »
Looking to buy some headphones, my budget is around hundred-fitty. I think that would be reasonable price range if I got a decent sound card, such as the Asus Xonar DX http://tinyurl.com/8lh4vos (not included in ideal budget)

Try the Audio Technica M50's. They are an amazing entry level audiophile quality set. Careful, audio can be  even more of a slippery slope than keyboards when it comes to your wallet and addiction.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1274 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 21:55:45 »
The ATH m50's are nice, but they are NOT comfortable for glasses users. They clamp very hard, and the leather doesn't distribute the clamp very well. The HFI-580 is in the same price range, and is much more comfortable if you get velour pads for them.

Edit: Would also like to add the v-moda m-80. Very good SQ but comfort may be questionable. I've tried them out, and they clamped fairly hard but my friend told me that you can stretch out the headband so that it doesn't clamp as hard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 08:36:08 by thegunner100 »

Offline _js_

« Reply #1275 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 17:39:45 »
I have a Macbook Pro with Apogee Duet (FireWire version) and Grado SR225's.  For mobile listening, just an iPhone 4 and Sennheiser PX100's.  Wish they still sold those.  Don't like the PX100 II's nearly as much.
HHKB Pro 2, AEK II

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #1276 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 17:46:43 »
Going to cop a pair of DT770 Pro/250 today that I found off Craigslist :D

Will post how they are, will be driven by a dinosaur of a receiver. Pictures to come.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1277 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 17:49:02 »
I love mine :)   and that's driven by a crap $20 Behringer headphone distro amp (4 outputs).
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1278 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 20:08:54 »
Going to cop a pair of DT770 Pro/250 today that I found off Craigslist :D

Will post how they are, will be driven by a dinosaur of a receiver. Pictures to come.

Nice! They'll serve you well as long as you power them properly.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1279 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 01:23:57 »
Going to cop a pair of DT770 Pro/250 today that I found off Craigslist :D<br /><br />Will post how they are, will be driven by a dinosaur of a receiver. Pictures to come.
Lucky dog i wish that stuff popped up in my area.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #1280 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 02:47:09 »
Best part is I copped both for $190 total :o

Kept the receiver that my grandparents bought when they moved to America. Unfortunately they aren't around for me to ask how old the receivers are, but it seems like they drive my DT770 Pro/250's pretty well. Very different from the Grados that I trashed in HS.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #1281 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 15:10:34 »
Ahhh man. I'm jelly of all these nice headphone/amp setups.  All I have is a pair of AKG k240's and a Dayton DTA-100a amp.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1282 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 18:13:50 »
Older receivers will power headphones very well since they were intended for headphones with really high impedances.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #1283 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 19:27:46 »
Woot, that's a relief :D

Offline Internauta

« Reply #1284 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 21:58:11 »
So I was thinking about the AudioTechnica M50s. Just a question, would it be better to spend a bit more on the headphones, or get the M50s and  an amp? I wouldn't mind not having an amp for portable listening.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1285 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 22:03:18 »
A amp isn't gonna do too much for the M50s as they're already very efficient and don't scale up too well. What's your budget? Are you only looking for portable headphones?

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #1286 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 22:32:53 »
Okay, i have a question for anyone willing to answer. I have a pair of AKG K240's as you can tell from above. I've been feeling unsatisfied with them lately and have thought about upgrading. I've been looking at the DT 770 PRO's for a while. Do you think those would be a good upgrade? I know that the AKG's are open and the beyerdynamic's aren't so it's a bit different to compare. but as far as actual quality goes, how much better are they? Maybe you have a different suggestion? I like it a taaaad on the bassy side, which is what I the akg's seem to lack.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1287 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 22:37:50 »
- 80Ohm (PRO)

The 80Ohm model has the most bass out of all the DT770 models. The bass is nice and pronounced with having good impact and depth, though when under amped it can have a mind of it's own. When underamped the bass gets bloated and flabby. The mids are probably the fullest of the DT770 line up but still on the recessed side. The treble is presented nicely although it sounds like it slightly rolled off. The treble is also the smoothest of the DT770 line. The soundstage is smaller then the rest though and certainly smaller than the DT770/250Ohm, most likely due to the bass and treble. This ehadphone it really good for rock, rap, metal, and any other bassy music genre's.

-250Ohm (PRO)

The Pro version sounds almost the same but the thing that is most different is the clamping force of the headband. It clamps quite tight, while the other models have a looser fit. Also the soundstage on this model seems smaller cause of the clamp and the bass is also pronounced because of the clamp as well. Other than that it sounds the same.

Source

You might find the bass that you're looking for in the 80ohm pro version. Is there any place where you can try them out first? Maybe look into Ultrasones, they're very bassy.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1288 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 22:45:01 »
The 250Ohm need an amp to produce bass, without an amp it's obviously missing. As for head clamping, I don't find them to be tight at all.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #1289 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 22:58:23 »
I have a dayton DTA-100a amp : )
Not sure if that would be adequate for it.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1290 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 23:13:46 »
I have a dayton DTA-100a amp : )
Not sure if that would be adequate for it.

Not sure how much voltage it will output @ 250ohms... but it'll be better than having no amp. Again, look into ultrasones. I feel that the dt770 is weak compared to the dt880 as long as your not listening in an noisy environment.

Clamping is pretty subjective, and it's a huge deal if you wear glasses. A new premium beyer headphone to me clamps slightly hard, but not nearly as hard as the M50s did when i first got them. The beyer's clamp problem can be easily fixed by bending the headband to 180 degrees or more.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #1291 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:54:57 »
My 990Pro are comfortable with my glasses. I game for hours without any discomfort.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1292 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 14:53:14 »
My 990Pro are comfortable with my glasses. I game for hours without any discomfort.

The dt880 and dt990 share the same earpads, so i'd have to agree.

Edit: didnt see the pro, but yeah you can still stretch out the headband on the pros anyways.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1293 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 16:01:38 »
I did find the 880Pro's head band to be a little tight.  Easy to adjust, though.
Russ

Offline Will@Drop

• GH Admin & MD Co-Founder
  • * Administrator
    • Massdrop
« Reply #1294 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 18:34:43 »

Really? I have those gunnar glasses and DT990's. Are the pro earpads more cushy?

Offline justin one

« Reply #1295 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 21:54:31 »
I used to rock the ATH-AD700s but switched to HD555s. Modded them to HD595s and they're great.
[ KBC Poker ] [ Ducky DK9087 ]

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1296 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 06:07:11 »

Really? I have those gunnar glasses and DT990's. Are the pro earpads more cushy?

The pro and the premium use the same earpads.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #1297 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:08:39 »
So I haven't listen to my 990 in awhile, so I dug it up and haven't left my head in a few hours. Not sure why I enjoy listening to piano on this. Currently listening to: http://www.amazon.com/The-Chopin-Collection-Artur-Rubinstein/dp/B000026OW3/

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1298 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:35:38 »
So I haven't listen to my 990 in awhile, so I dug it up and haven't left my head in a few hours. Not sure why I enjoy listening to piano on this. Currently listening to: http://www.amazon.com/The-Chopin-Collection-Artur-Rubinstein/dp/B000026OW3/

What do you normally use?

Offline tcv

Re: Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #1299 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:24:31 »
I used to rock the ATH-AD700s but switched to HD555s. Modded them to HD595s and they're great.

I miss my hd555s. :(