Author Topic: How do I achieve this sound?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Jonnyswboy

How do I achieve this sound?
« on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 09:19:40 »
Hello, I am new to the community and am looking for some advice.

I found this sound test and am trying to emulate it:
I very much like the deep muted sound.

I initially planned on using the Zambumon Sar as it has a thick 4.75mm brass (or PC option) plate and lubed Tealios much like the Zephyr in the video. But upon asking in some Discord servers I was told that I should get the PC plate option and black inks to achieve this sound. In the video he also replaced the tops with milky Gaterons and I am wondering how much that contributes to the sound. People also told me that Taeha modifies the sound in post for his sound tests.

Which plate and switch combo will get me closest to that sound test?

Thank you!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: How do I achieve this sound?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 20:08:29 »
This guy types with a very shallow and light stroke.

pretty much every keyboard will sound like that with something soft under it, and typed on like a ****.

hahaha, just kidding, the way it's recorded can make a big difference too.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 20:16:37 »
typed on like a ****.

100% **** fingers ;)

Probably trained themselves not to bottom out on actuation, but really if you're not going full actuation you are only giving your keyboard just the tip. I prefer to go for full penetration.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 20:19:08 »

100% **** fingers ;)

This dude also wears rings ? LOL, watching too many korean boy bands maybe. from his whole setup he's taking that metro thing very seriously.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 22:34:01 »
Taeha's sound is not edited as far as I know and I have no reason to think it is, there is a lot of people with stock off-the-shelf keyboards who just don't know it can be that way.
As others mentioned, he does type very soft and puts something under the keyboard to isolate it from desk reverberation, but the sound is not unique.

Start with good switches good springs.
Bad springs make a lot more noise than you realize and once everything else is sorted, that is when they reveal themselves. Even cheap switches are pretty darn good with enough lube and good springs. Light springs ping worse than thick ones but Cherry light springs are especially known for ping. In my experience, Kailh Pro springs are bad as well. If you are into light springs (I use 39g) Mechanicalkeyboards.com and Sprit are the way to go. Coated springs tend to also be better.

Maybe lube your switches...
Notice I said enough lube, not every switch needs lube or benefits from it. A high end switch is probably going to be fine, but how would you feel if you spent all that time soldering switches in then find they need lube? Now you have to desolder (which is a pain and risky) and start again. This is why you see expensive switches being lubed, it's not that they necessarily need it, it's insurance. Even with good switches there's always the risk of a bad batch.

Lube and band aid mod your stabs,
This cannot be stressed enough on tactile and linear boards, you may even need to replace them but they can make or break a board once you know the difference. On a clickey board people tend to not care as much because it just adds to the click but on tactile or linear you hear everything.

Put foam in the bottom under the PCB if you can, some boards have no room, some come with it. Foam shelf liner (the plaid/checkerboard pattern stuff) works well and it's cheap.

Something important to note, I did NOT say start with expensive switches or an expensive keyboard or even an aluminum keyboard. I have a GMMK that sounds like a high end custom build. Why? Because I did what I mentioned above. It's insane how much difference those few things can make, but bear in mind, all the lube costs a bit of money and it's going to take some time to break down and properly lube those switches and stabs, especially if you start with a pre-built board that's soldered.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2020, 22:42:05 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 10:02:29 »
prettttty  certain his setup goes through a lowpass filter somewhere.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 12:38:09 »
He has 5 deskmats

Please do not assume that your sound will be the same

The only substitute for getting exact same sound is hearing it in person

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15XmznA5T9d4PkfBG0TDS82ou6ihBh0oqr8Aux24SNz0/edit#gid=805940844

See spreadsheet for what affects keyboard sound
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Jonnyswboy

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 12:48:32 »
He has 5 deskmats

Please do not assume that your sound will be the same

The only substitute for getting exact same sound is hearing it in person

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15XmznA5T9d4PkfBG0TDS82ou6ihBh0oqr8Aux24SNz0/edit#gid=805940844

See spreadsheet for what affects keyboard sound

Thank you this is what I have been looking for.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 13:24:42 »
could just play that sound as you type, lol.  But your solutions have been previously mentioned by other users.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D