Author Topic: DSA Retro Set (SHIPPED!)  (Read 1704268 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: DSA Retro Set (production)
« Reply #800 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:02:40 »
Keys are in production. SP told me an ETA that it would be too good to be true, so I'm not going to publicize that. Let's say end of April. Later this month I'm going to ask if we are still on track.

Here's to hoping.  She was laser perfect for my ETA.

Offline merijn

« Reply #801 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 05:07:57 »
I don't get the "it's better not to tell" attitude, there's nothing wrong with transparency. If SP gave you an ETA they strive to that data and there should be no reason not to "publicize" that.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #802 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:47:39 »
I don't get the "it's better not to tell" attitude, there's nothing wrong with transparency. If SP gave you an ETA they strive to that data and there should be no reason not to "publicize" that.

Underpromise, overdeliver.

Melissa says, "Middle of April" so GB organizer says, "Middle of May, maybe..." and then if it comes late, no problem. And if it comes on time, "Surprise!!! It's here early!" and everyone's a lot happier.

Managing people's expectations is important. It might seem a bit underhanded, but if it makes people feel better, then I say do it. And technically speaking, Matt hasn't said anything about when we can expect it, so it's just sort of fallen off my radar, which is fine by me. Why watch the kettle anyway? I wouldn't call this a 'transparency' issue at all.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #803 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 07:26:07 »
I'm not hiding anything. End of April is behind the corner. I'm going to give you a firm date as soon as I get it. The date SP gave me might have changed because of logistical reasons (ie: the bank took more time than expected to send the wire transfer) so I'm not going to disclose that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 07:28:35 by Matt3o »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #804 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 08:50:31 »
Oh that green, brown, and plum!
I can't wait.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #805 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 09:08:15 »
Oh that green, brown, and plum!
I can't wait.

Me neither. This is going to be a very unique-looking set.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #806 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 12:01:26 »

Underpromise, overdeliver.

Melissa says, "Middle of April" so GB organizer says, "Middle of May, maybe..." and then if it comes late, no problem. And if it comes on time, "Surprise!!! It's here early!" and everyone's a lot happier.

Managing people's expectations is important. It might seem a bit underhanded, but if it makes people feel better, then I say do it. And technically speaking, Matt hasn't said anything about when we can expect it, so it's just sort of fallen off my radar, which is fine by me. Why watch the kettle anyway? I wouldn't call this a 'transparency' issue at all.

In fact, anyone who wants to show up in Northern California when the keycaps get here is welcome.  Help with the sorting and get your shipping costs refunded.  Take pictures; tell a friend.

And you will probably get pizza and beer as well.  (Beer after checking, however!)

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #807 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 15:01:19 »
Makes me wonder how these are getting done so fast, yet R4 is still being made.

R4's DCS-based styles are supposedly done.  SA (SPH) is talking forever and is apparently done using different machinery than DCS/DSA.  So it seems that R4's slow pace is not an indicator of the progress of other GBs.
Russ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #808 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 15:03:24 »
Makes me wonder how these are getting done so fast, yet R4 is still being made.

R4's DCS-based styles are supposedly done.  SA (SPH) is talking forever and is apparently done using different machinery than DCS/DSA.  So it seems that R4's slow pace is not an indicator of the progress of other GBs.

It's a trap man! A TRAP!!!!

Yea makes sense. Gotta take time to make those gorgeous sphericals :D 

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #809 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 19:35:39 »
In fact, anyone who wants to show up in Northern California when the keycaps get here is welcome.  Help with the sorting and get your shipping costs refunded.  Take pictures; tell a friend.

And you will probably get pizza and beer as well.  (Beer after checking, however!)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

I'm in San Jose!

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #810 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 03:47:15 »
..I promised myself not to come in here till end of April... I really take waiting for stuff very hard:)
OK, so end of April means mid of April if I'm correct?:D
Cool there is a light at the end of a tunnel then!
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #811 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 06:10:31 »
Nothing to see here... nothing to see here, please disperse.
Groupbuy? No idea what you're talking about.
More

Offline Pazuru

« Reply #812 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:59:06 »
I. want. keycaps.
Filco Majestouch-2 TKL (Red)    |    KBT Pure (Brown)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #813 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 16:05:14 »
me. too.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #814 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:05:51 »
(haltingly) Sentence fragments.... Just phrases!

And now my DSA Retro Set haiku of the day: (written on my G80-2100 HDU)

April Retro Set
Mailman Walks Past
Lo, My Naked Keyboard

(bows)

Hopefully this haiku captured the quiet, patient dignity of waiting; how each person who participated in this GB is a silent, stalwart hero, beloved by millions and yet a dark mystery.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:08:06 by Krogenar »
More

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #815 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:33:58 »
Man, that was beautiful, really touches the heart. But then, maybe we all just need to get out more.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #816 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 20:50:59 »
Man, that was beautiful, really touches the heart. But then, maybe we all just need to get out more.

Maybe he has and would prefer to live his life on here at Geekhack, the alternate Universe.  8)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #817 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 01:35:15 »
run, run, keycaps fairy!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #818 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 07:12:35 »
So what are people planning to put their caps on? I have a Topre and a Ducky which I was planning to put CCnG on. How about the GH60? Would any of the suggested plates/layouts suit?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #819 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 08:00:49 »
So what are people planning to put their caps on? I have a Topre and a Ducky which I was planning to put CCnG on. How about the GH60? Would any of the suggested plates/layouts suit?

It's funny you ask! I actually bought into this GB before I even had a keyboard with Cherry switches! Since then, my keyboard addiction has compelled me to purchase a Ducky 98something-something with MX Greens, a KBTalking keyboard with Blues (too light a switch, made for delicate, woman-y fingers) and a G80-2100 HDU. So I plan on using the DSA Retro on the Ducky, for certain. The KBTalking has been known to have substandard keycaps, so I was thinking of the Cream Cheese set on that. I was also hoping on experimenting with decking out just the numpad with the DSA, and leaving originals in place.

My only regret is that I missed out on the sphericals from DT. Here's hoping some of those sets go up for resale soon. Those sphericals would look great on 2100. Ah well, plenty to look forward to. Now I should just get back to writing. With so many keyboards I really have no excuse any longer.
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #820 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 08:34:16 »
I plan on using one set for my ErgoDox.

Another set will go on a GH60.

And yet another on one of my custom designs, when it's ready.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #821 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 08:41:48 »
going to use it on a custom 65%. Actually I designed the whole GB to be able to do that custom keyboard :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #822 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 08:43:27 »
going to use it on a custom 65%. Actually I designed the whole GB to be able to do that custom keyboard :)

Well, then you need to design some new boards. So we can get more GB's from you... :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #823 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 08:46:22 »
a KBTalking keyboard with Blues (too light a switch, made for delicate, woman-y fingers)
lol That sounds like something Coach McGuirk would say.

jdcarpe, may I ask how you're going to set up your GH60 using these caps. I really wish I'd added some extra mods to my order now. If it's Top Secret, I understand.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #824 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 08:48:45 »
jdcarpe, may I ask how you're going to set up your GH60 using these caps. I really wish I'd added some extra mods to my order now. If it's Top Secret, I understand.

Most likely a standard winkeyless 1.5x mods layout. :)

But I bought enough options to do any layout, really. Maybe not ISO. :P

in memoriam

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #825 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 08:50:43 »

Well, then you need to design some new boards. So we can get more GB's from you... :P

well... actually... that is gonna happen :)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #826 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:19:04 »
Are we going to see that 65% board?!?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #827 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:27:12 »
Are we going to see that 65% board?!?

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #828 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:36:02 »
Need a GH75 right now for DSA.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #829 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:46:03 »

If by right now, you mean next year, then you should be good. :P

Ron (samwisekoi) has the reins on that project...

in memoriam

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #830 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 10:19:39 »
Guys guys.... I just looked at my phone and noticed 11 notifications from this thread and thought that production is over!
wwwrrrrrrrrrrrr....... :'(
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #831 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 10:23:16 »

Why you tell me these things?  :))
I just I can live with a race for now...  :rolleyes:

Offline disperse

« Reply #832 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:24:21 »
OK, after thinking about it for a while I've decided to go in on the GH60 group buy using this layout:

The "Super" keys will be the Commodore logo keys.

The "Hyper" key will be a combination Escape / Meta key as described in this article:  http://brettterpstra.com/2012/12/08/a-useful-caps-lock-key/

Unfortunately, I didn't order the 1.25 and 1.75 Modifier sets I need.

Will anyone have an extra 1.25 Delete key and/or a 1.75 Hyper key I could beg/buy/borrow/steal?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #833 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:28:03 »
OK, after thinking about it for a while I've decided to go in on the GH60 group buy using this layout:

Show Image

The "Hyper" key will be a combination Escape / Meta key as described in this article:  http://brettterpstra.com/2012/12/08/a-useful-caps-lock-key/

Will anyone have an extra 1.25 Delete key and/or a 1.75 Hyper key I could beg/buy/borrow/steal?

I may have those. Ask me after they ship. I forget what all I'm getting. I ordered a few keycaps from this GB. :)

in memoriam

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #834 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:34:14 »
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #835 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:38:38 »

jdcarpe is a wise man and totally correct!

We also need another wise man to extend the GH60 PCB in two dimensions, and the resident wise men are busy with GH60.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline disperse

« Reply #836 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:44:55 »

Show Image

I may have those. Ask me after they ship. I forget what all I'm getting. I ordered a few keycaps from this GB. :)

That would be awesome.  I'll have some extra keys (arrow keys, Ins, Home, End, Page Up, Page Down) if you need them.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #837 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:58:26 »
Keys should be ready by April 18. By April 22 they should reach Ron who will start sorting.

Please note that this may still change.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:24:53 by Matt3o »

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #838 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:08:28 »
Keys should be ready by April 18. By April 22 they should reach Ron that will start sorting.

Please note that this may still change.

WOOT, Can't wait for this!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline disperse

« Reply #839 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:40:47 »
Nothing to see here... nothing to see here, please disperse.
Groupbuy? No idea what you're talking about.

Yeah, what?  Talking to me?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #840 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:44:29 »
i know i am an idiot and late to this but is it too late to get on this group buy?  these arent the retro sphericals i exactly want but i am coming to the realization that i am never going to get what i want and these are the closest i have seen to my vision outside of Round 4 which was before my time.

also if anyone backs out i would be more than happy to scoop up their set.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #841 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:46:27 »
Great news!! This will be the first GB caps I receive hopefully! And I was very late :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #842 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:48:32 »
i know i am an idiot and late to this but is it too late to get on this group buy?  these arent the retro sphericals i exactly want but i am coming to the realization that i am never going to get what i want and these are the closest i have seen to my vision outside of Round 4 which was before my time.

also if anyone backs out i would be more than happy to scoop up their set.

The standard kits (alpha+tkl+space) will be available by the end of the month I suppose. For the other kits you have to wait for the spares (we took some).

Offline habitualapse

« Reply #843 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 15:02:24 »
I missed out on the order as well, but would really love to grab a set. Please let us know if and when there are spares available. Thanks in advance.
Filco MJ2 Ninja Brown TKL

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #844 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 22:20:55 »
standard set is all i am looking for as this will be for a 60%
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #845 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 23:18:08 »
Damnit, I hope I can get extras from this :(

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #846 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 23:25:17 »
Is it just me or can we not see what we ordered anymore through the order form?

Offline Sai

« Reply #847 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 00:01:13 »
Is it just me or can we not see what we ordered anymore through the order form?

yep. i want this as well. forgot about what I order completely.
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #848 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 00:03:29 »
Me too. At least we can cross check when receive the keycaps.
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #849 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 02:22:23 »
we are working on it. sorry guys if this is taking a bit.