Author Topic: WASD Final Layout! I Promise Everyone  (Read 2489 times)

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
WASD Final Layout! I Promise Everyone
« on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 15:42:54 »
Hey All,

I know I have switched my layout many times, and I do apologize if it has irritated anyone   :hurt:
But I truly think I have my Final Version for my WASD board for Christmas! Just wanted some input on it. Thanks!
EDIT The attached layout is a previous version please DISREGARD
EDIT: Took off superimposed but added new revision to the layout

Color Schema
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31213[/ATTACH]

Layout
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31294[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 November 2011, 13:41:13 by curro123083 »
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline placebo guy

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 17:36:05 »
I think it looks good.  Not too crazy about the color though.  Loving the bottom modifiers.

I did notice in the 3rd picture that the "I" key is caps while everything else is lower-case.  Not sure if you did that on purpose.
Leopold TKL MXRed; RF 103U 55G; WASD MXBlack; Unicomp Spacesaver; AT101W; RK-9000 Blue; various Filco

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 22:00:35 »
I did not notice that. Gotta make sure I change it before ordering. What colors would you think would work better
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 23:06:36 »
you might want to change "`/~" to dark greay

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 23:12:25 »
None of this is meant to put down your design, just trying to give as many thoughts about it as I can because if I were posting this kind of thread myself looking for feedback these are the kind of things I would want to hear to get me thinking, even if I didn't agree with the suggestions themselves. Most of it sounds negative because I'm mostly nit picking about the things that I find odd rather than complementing the good parts because the good parts don't need to change.

1. Love the colors. Not sure if tilde would be better suited to being black or grey. You have grey as the sort of non-alpha input keys and tilde is sort of an input key but if you use it to bring down consoles in games or what not then it is more like a modifier/menu key and black goes well with it.
2. I find it a bit odd that the written out numbers on the number row start with a lower case letter but then the written out words on the numpad start with an upper case letter.
3. Maybe a bit odd that the function keys and number keys have the bottom left and top right corners printed but the punctuation keys near the letters have the bottom right and top left corners printed.
4. Is there a reason the letter A is inside the scroll lock box? Doesn't seem to have a relation to scroll lock and if anything makes me think it has something to do with making things upper case.
5. Can't say I'm a fan of the symbol used for tab. It looks to me like that's a symbol related to starting a new paragraph: move down one line and indent. I don't really know what that symbol was actually made to represent though.
6. Not a fan of the all caps for confirm and error, but that's largely a style choice. Perhaps just cut it down to one exclamation mark though.
7. Don't really like how on the function keys the F and the number are separate. Having the Fs on their own like that makes it look a bit too repetitive.
8. I think that the main arrows keys would look nicer without those dotted trails, it would make them easier to center without looking off balance.
9. The hourglass for pause looks really old. I think using it for pause is nifty, but I would find a more modern looking hourglass. Might also be worth considering the same for the print screen button.
10. Should there be a colon or something after the first line of your spacebar quote?
11. Perhaps some more consistency with the arrows used? In some places you have arrows with solid tips (home, end), some with pointed tips (insert) and then your own more artistic ones.
12. Don't quite like the arrow used with the Control key where caps lock normally goes, don't think it has much relation or is necessary.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 10:16:31 »
First off let me say....THANK YOU... Your might be one of the first people to ever actually ive detailed input (you looked at everything) so again thank you,
1. Love the colors. Not sure if tilde would be better suited to being black or grey. You have grey as the sort of non-alpha input keys and tilde is sort of an input key but if you use it to bring down consoles in games or what not then it is more like a modifier/menu key and black goes well with it.
I was not sure about this and I think I will make it grey just to go with a more retro look

2. I find it a bit odd that the written out numbers on the number row start with a lower case letter but then the written out words on the numpad start with an upper case letter.
I never noticed this untill you said something, will be changing everything o lowercase.

3. Maybe a bit odd that the function keys and number keys have the bottom left and top right corners printed but the punctuation keys near the letters have the bottom right and top left corners printed.
I will be changing the punction keys to match, they were like that from a previous build

4. Is there a reason the letter A is inside the scroll lock box? Doesn't seem to have a relation to scroll lock and if anything makes me think it has something to do with making things upper case.
I never use scroll lock so I remap Caps lock to that button and Control to where caps Lock is.

5. Can't say I'm a fan of the symbol used for tab. It looks to me like that's a symbol related to starting a new paragraph: move down one line and indent. I don't really know what that symbol was actually made to represent though
I didn't know if I wanted to use a symbol or just the word tab, I think I will just use "tab" though

6. Not a fan of the all caps for confirm and error, but that's largely a style choice. Perhaps just cut it down to one exclamation mark though.
Do you think it would look more uniform if they were lowercase with no exclamation marks

7. Don't really like how on the function keys the F and the number are separate. Having the Fs on their own like that makes it look a bit too repetitive.
Not sure if I will change this or not, Ill let you know :smile:

8. I think that the main arrows keys would look nicer without those dotted trails, it would make them easier to center without looking off balance.
I would have to agree i would be more uniform and match the shift arrows, also I am changing the insert to this kind of arrow as well

9. The hourglass for pause looks really old. I think using it for pause is nifty, but I would find a more modern looking hourglass. Might also be worth considering the same for the print screen button.
I will see if I can find a more modern one because I do agree with you

10. Should there be a colon or something after the first line of your spacebar quote?
There should be...:doh:

12. Don't quite like the arrow used with the Control key where caps lock normally goes, don't think it has much relation or is necessary.
I kept it there so my boss can still use that key as caps if he wanted to remap it, but Maybe I just don't care about his pain lol Ill get rid of the arrow.

Also I was thinking of super imposing my daughters name across the keys, kinda like graffiti, Ill upload if pic showing that as well. again Thank you

UPDATED OP WITH NEW LAYOUT and alternate with daughters name imposed (just trying it out) not sure if I like it though
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 12:27:42 »
Still not a fan of the new hourglass. Just did a quick google search and I think a style like this may look more suitable:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31281[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31282[/ATTACH]

In the spacebar quote, maybe Cathedral should be without the upper case letter.

I don't like the superimposed name, there's too much lost within the space between the keys I think.

However, since I didn't like the function row and "Chayse Haven" happens to be 12 characters if you include the space, maybe it would be fun to write that up along them?
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 13:04:35 »
Quote from: oneproduct;448049
Still not a fan of the new hourglass. Just did a quick google search and I think a style like this may look more suitable:

(Attachment Link) 31281[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 31282[/ATTACH]

In the spacebar quote, maybe Cathedral should be without the upper case letter.

I don't like the superimposed name, there's too much lost within the space between the keys I think.

However, since I didn't like the function row and "Chayse Haven" happens to be 12 characters if you include the space, maybe it would be fun to write that up along them?

I truly think I will always consult you in any keyboard design I ever make! Thanks for the input, I will make this quickly and repost I you would like to see it
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 13:43:04 »
I think I will make my function row a solid color to go with my daughters name. As well as change the tilde to dark grey. Not sure if I am going to keep her birthday in between her name or not.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 10:05:57 »
I really like the look of this, nice job!  The only thing that stands out to me as being a bit out of place is the arrows on the shift keys.  Because you've gotten rid of the arrows on backspace, tab, and enter those keys are all now very plain (which I think could look nice), making the rather big arrow on shift feel a bit out of place to me.  Perhaps if it was a bit smaller or less obtrusive?  I'm not sure, but I thought I'd give my thoughts.

I'm curious, what is the 4/26/2011 for?

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 11:07:18 »
Quote from: NimbleRabit;449248
I really like the look of this, nice job!  The only thing that stands out to me as being a bit out of place is the arrows on the shift keys.  Because you've gotten rid of the arrows on backspace, tab, and enter those keys are all now very plain (which I think could look nice), making the rather big arrow on shift feel a bit out of place to me.  Perhaps if it was a bit smaller or less obtrusive?  I'm not sure, but I thought I'd give my thoughts.

I'm curious, what is the 4/26/2011 for?

Thanks for the input, I actually removed the shift arrows, haven't uploaded a new layout just yet, So thanks already done! The 4/26/2011 is now 3/26/2011 and is my daughters birthday, I know its kinda lame but she is my first and I would like to think of her at work! I am still thinking about super imposing her name across the board to, (Been talking to WASD on how to make it look right) Just want to state that Weyman from WASD is awesome when it comes to taking care of potential customers, so +1 for that.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 13:14:21 »
Quote from: curro123083;449282
The 4/26/2011 is now 3/26/2011 and is my daughters birthday

Lol, better get that right.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 15:49:21 »
Quote from: oneproduct;449368
Lol, better get that right.
Best part was when my wife asked me what the numbers were for and I gave her a smirk and said "umm it is our daughters birthday.." she immediately replied "You idiot that's April not March!"  Oh boy I felt dumb lol

oh well I should be ordering this pretty soon, just not one hundred percent certain I want Blues or wait for Reds?
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue

Offline themadreason

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 22:20:19 »
I can't wait to order mine.  Does anyone game with blues?  How do they do on FPS games?