Author Topic: Looking for my first mechanical keyboard  (Read 2967 times)

Offline AkusScorpion

Looking for my first mechanical keyboard
« on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 12:36:01 »
Hi, so I've been lurking these forums for about a week and having trouble deciding on a keyboard. I've decided on brown switches since I'll be using the keyboard for programming and fps/rts gaming. Full size or TKL does not matter with me but I'm a college student on a very small budget so I'd prefer around $100 which resulted in me narrowing down my choices to a Leopold, Noppoo Choc Pro and a Rosewill RK-9000BR.

I live in California so I'd get taxed on both the Leopold and Rosewill cept the Rosewill seems to go on sale sometimes.

Any suggestions and insight is appreciated.

Offline RetroHollywood

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 13:37:11 »
I am currently typing on a Rosewill RK-9000 with blues and I am mostly satisfied with it.  Build quality seems to be very good with one or two exceptions.  I have had issues with some stabilized keys sticking and spacebar squeak, but all of that has been fixed with a $2 can of some generic lubricant.  I got it for $80 from newegg (obviously), and for that price I am pretty pleased.  I say if the browns go on sale for $100 or less, that's a good place to start with an entry level board.

Offline peda

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 13:42:09 »
You will be happy with any of these keyboards.

If you can't decide, roll a dice. :-P

Maybe favor the rosewill and the leopold a bit as the support will be a bit easier in the USA.

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 15:10:24 »
Don't count out the DAS... with a student discount you can get one for around $100.

By the way, I second the Rosewill.  I got one with Reds and I LOVE it.  Very well constructed board.  Keycaps are kinda meh, but I swapped them out anyway, so no biggie.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline slueth

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 15:23:52 »
Don't forget the cmstorm quickfire in your list of choices.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 16:10:47 »
Both are good keyboards, though you cant get a tenkeyless from Rosewill, if you want that go with a Leopold.

Offline AkusScorpion

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 16:16:46 »
Thanks for all the replies, currently I think I'm leaning towards the Rosewill just cause of the red metal plating on the inside

Quote from: JustCallMeCrash;448709
Don't count out the DAS... with a student discount you can get one for around $100.

By the way, I second the Rosewill.  I got one with Reds and I LOVE it.  Very well constructed board.  Keycaps are kinda meh, but I swapped them out anyway, so no biggie.

I didn't include the Das cause I'm trying to stay away from glossy keyboards thanks for the suggestion tho.

Quote from: slueth;448719
Don't forget the cmstorm quickfire in your list of choices.

Where can I find more information on the CM Quickfire, more specifically where can I purchase it in the States?

Offline Glockateer

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 16:19:31 »
The quickfire is excellent but will be released "soon" in the states. At the moment, you can order it from PCHome for $10 or $20 shipping worldwide.

Offline AkusScorpion

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 16:35:54 »
Quote from: Glockateer;448774
The quickfire is excellent but will be released "soon" in the states. At the moment, you can order it from PCHome for $10 or $20 shipping worldwide.

Thanks, from using google translate, I found the brown switch version for about $100 after shipping, I'm a little concerned about buying from a website I can't even read but I'll consider it for sure

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 21:01:13 »
I bought a CMstorm form PChome with the help of a guide and google. It has reds and it's amazing. I'd recommend them.

PChome is on the level.

Offline Glockateer

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 00:38:31 »
If you need a PCHome guide I'm sure people here would direct you or you could find it. I use a cm storm quickfire mx red myself.