Author Topic: Has anyone tried an Alps keyboard with rubber dampers AND a click leaf?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline IBI

I'm thinking of eventually modding my current Strong Man Type 1 Simplified Alps keyboard with Complicated Alps and I was pondering on which type would be nicest. As the stoppers and tactile leafs are interchangable I could conceivably have an Alps switch with rubber dampers and a clicky leaf, which is an interesting thought as I've never heard of a keyboard coming with such switches.

Was such a keyboard ever made and has anyone tried it? Has anyone done such a mod already and can they report their thoughts on it or can anyone point me to a link detailing the results?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline itlnstln

Has anyone tried an Alps keyboard with rubber dampers AND a click leaf?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 July 2009, 07:50:06 »
I think the AEKII was like this.

Offline IBI

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 July 2009, 10:32:25 »
Quote from: itlnstln;100657
I think the AEKII was like this.

The wiki may need updating then, the Alps entry lists it as tactile and not clicky.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 July 2009, 10:36:24 »
Quote from: IBI;100713
The wiki may need updating then, the Alps entry lists it as tactile and not clicky.

I could be wrong, though.  XsPhat and Welly, for sure, have owned this 'board, and they could verify before any updates are made.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 July 2009, 15:28:12 »
taking a quick break from relatives... i did this mod once - dampers plus click leafs. However, if I remember correctly, regular alps click leafs dont fit into the upper housing at the same time as rubber-damper-sliders. I had to use a modified click leaf to produce the click, as here:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?t=4999&do=comments&page=3

I must have done that for a reason (ie, as I say, IIRC I think regular click leafs didnt fit at the same time as the dampers). I could be wrong tho, but thats how I got click and dampers in the same housing.  If you can do it with regular click leafs, I'd be interested to know.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3