Author Topic: [IC] KAT Quantum - development paused -  (Read 33606 times)

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
[IC] KAT Quantum - development paused -
« on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:17:48 »

“Welcome to Aperture, you're here because we want the best, and you're it.
Nope.
Couldn't keep a straight face.”

PROTOCOLS

This is a tribute to one of my favourite games of all time; one in which unique gameplay physics, and witty writing combine in a fun and memorable experience.  And as such it holds significant personal meaning to me.
Featuring unexpected laughs as you try not to die, whilst using abstract thinking to solve well-crafted puzzles, this is a must play game brimming with originality and dark humour.

This is my first solo run at a keycap design project, so feel free to be gentle... or rough. I appreciate all feedback to help with kitting decisions.
I originally wanted to utilise the common colour combination trope of orange and blue, but landed on this fun concept, that would really shine on ergo and split keyboard layouts.
Please note that this set was originally conceived in Cherry profile, but I have felt KAT kitting was better at supporting obscurer kits where the duality of colour is more natural.
Furthermore, PBT is more affordable for cool novelties, and there's a plethora of GMK sets already.
Do note that I have also emailed Valve to see if official licensing/permission is possible, so we'll see if they respond and if I need to revise my novelties or not.

TEST SIMULATIONS

TKC1800 (The Key Company)

Nemui (Bachoo)

The Paragon (Artemis Design)

U80-A (Rama Works)

SP-111 (BlindAssassin111

Older Renders

The Mark (Boardsource)

Paragon (Artemis Design Studio)

Alice Clone. Renders by Pseudoalpaca of KAT Space Dust

TEST CHAMBERS

CAKE <Novelties>
- Novelties are WIP -

LANGUAGE  <Alphas>
“We just got the results from that last test: You are a horrible person. That's what it says. A horrible person.
We weren't even testing for that."

Latin (Lab Edition) - “Lab”

Latin (Control Group Edition) - “Control”

Latin (Gel Edition) - “Gel” [AKA Tidepod Edition]

MODULES  <Modifiers 65%->100%>
"I've thought about our dilemma, and I came up with a solution that I honestly think works out well for one of both of us."

Icons  (Lab) - “Caution Signs”

Text (Lab) - “Science”

Icon (Gel) - "Repulsion"

Text (Gel) - "Propulsion"
*note Iso enters will be added to their respective mod kits

CALCULATIONS <Numpad>
"I punched those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face."

0-9 (Lab Edition) - “Velocity”

0-9 (Gel Edition) - “Physics”

SPAAAAAAACCEEEEE!<Spacebar>
" Ohmygodohmygodohmygod! I'm in space!"
(Lab Edition) - “White”

(Gel Edition) - “Blorange”

- WIP - Gradient will be be reworked/changed given feedback -

EXPERIMENTS
<40s, Orthos, Ergos, Iso etc.>
“You might have a minor case of serious brain damage”

※ Gravity <40s>
Icon (Lab)

Icon (Gel)

※ Chamberlock <Ortholinear>
Icon (Lab)

Icon (Gel)

※ Asbestos <Ergodox>
Icon (Lab)

Icon (Gel) - WIP

※ Turrets <Mac>
Icon

More
//Text option may be culled depending on interest/vendor limits on number of kits
Text

※ PotatOS <Iso>
(Lab)

*note currently incorrect: R2 alphas should be blue legends.
(Control)

OUTLIERS
<Nordic, Spanish, German, Russian, Colemak>
More
//This section will shift depending on polls as I am aiming to keep total number of kits <30
※ Neurotoxin <Nordic>
(Lab)

(Control)

※ Slow Clap <Spanish>
WIP

※ Lab Rat <German>
WIP

※ <Colevrak+>
(Lab) - WIP - Requires revision -

(Control) - WIP -

SCHEMATICS
<Desk Mats>
“Hmm this plate must have not been calibrated to someone of your... Generousness... I'll add a few zeroes to the maximum weight. You look great by the way, very healthy. Try it now”

- Note these are still mainly concepts, and subject to further refinement -

CO-OP
<Collabs>

ARTISANS
- TBD -
CABLES
- TBD -

UNRICHMENT CENTERS
<Vendors>
“In dangerous testing environments, the Enrichment Center promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, the floor here will kill you. Try to avoid it.”

[Unconfirmed; for smaller regions there are few vendor options and I have already made contact with them]
NA: - TBD -
CA: - TBD -
OCE: - TBD - (Likely DailyClack)
EU: - TBD -
ASIA: - TBD - (Likely Zfrontier)
SEA: - TBD -
South Korea - TBD - (Likely Swagkeys)
SA (South America)  - TBD - (Likely Fancycustoms)
Non EU (Ukraine, Russia, Belarus) - TBD - (Likely Funkeys)

COLOURS
“Last poor son of a gun got blue paint. Broke every bone in his body. Tragic. But informative.”
This set originally was conceived as GMK, using their stock colours V2 & N5 to minimise costs; since moving to KAT I have decided to shift to pantones 2727 C and 1575 C

DATA
“I have your brain scanned & permanently backed up in case something terrible happens to you. Don't believe me? Here. I'll put you on. 'Helloooo'. That's you. That's how dumb you sound.”

COMMS
“We've both said a lot of things that you're going to regret.”

Get the jump on earlier updates:
0   Discord Server: Bobas Designs 0

COMPANION³
<Thanks>
“Thank you - I can't believe I'm thanking these people - for staggering your way through Aperture Science's Propulsion Gel testing. You've made some real contributions to society for a change, and for that, humanity is grateful."

Special thanks to the following test subjects:
More
※ Misono for assistance with Illustrator and kitting
※ Pseudoalpaca for assistance with renders (the non-concept ones) - co-designer of KAT Space Dust - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107942.0
※ Konstantin and NoPunin10ded - I gleaned lots of kitting information indirectly and directly from their contributions to other sets. All mistakes here are mine however as I tried to gung-ho some of these KAT kits by myself (and now need to clean up).
※ Icons used for modifiers: OneCreativeMind, JSaintS, Konstantin
※ The mad geniuses behind one of my favourite games

SUPPORT
“Most people emerge from suspension terribly undernourished. I want to congratulate you on beating the odds and somehow managing to pack on a few pounds.”

Profile signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110077.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/q3zJ2OT.png[/img][/url]

CONCLUSION
“Congratulations. The test is now over. All Aperture technologies remain safely operational up to 4000 degrees Kelvin. Rest assured, there is absolutely no chance of a dangerous equipment malfunction prior to your victory candescence. Thank you for participating in this Aperture Science computer-aided enrichment activity. Goodbye.”

<3 BobaSweatandTears
"He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron that ever lived."

Disclaimer: all witty quotes belong to original reference source material
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 May 2021, 00:52:05 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Avocadough

Re: [IC] KAT QUANTUM
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:22:16 »
Deja vu

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:23:27 »
Feels like both sets were rushed for the sake of claiming an idea

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:28:17 »
Is this unfortunate timing, or was this rushed out?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline dandruff

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:30:12 »

Best of luck to both of you :|

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:30:31 »
Hey Boba,

as I told you, for me, there will be no drama. At all.

There was nothing "rushed out".
I was working on this set off and on since April 2020.
The earliest file I found was from February 2020...

So, there will be no drama to see here if it comes to me.

Offline Xonuss

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:34:01 »

I think it's a bit of both. I don't think this entire thing was prepared in the 1 hour and 20 minutes since GMK Gateway was published, but some of the things here seems rushed, such as GMK renders and spacebar gradients. Unfortunate timing none the less.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:35:48 »

I think it's a bit of both. I don't think this entire thing was prepared in the 1 hour and 20 minutes since GMK Gateway was published, but some of the things here seems rushed, such as GMK renders and spacebar gradients. Unfortunate timing none the less.
Yup, I was never claiming he copied it, both were working on the same concept, it's a bit unfortunate for both parties tbh :/

Offline Xonuss

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:37:50 »

Yup, I was never claiming he copied it, both were working on the same concept, it's a bit unfortunate for both parties tbh :/

Yeah, I honestly think it's fine. Some prefer GMK, some prefer KAT, now there is something for everyone. Good luck with IC regardless!

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:40:10 »
Yeah, I honestly think it's fine. Some prefer GMK, some prefer KAT, now there is something for everyone. Good luck with IC regardless!

That's the right mindset!

GLWIC Boba!

Offline VXQN

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:56:31 »
Why not both?

It's hardly an original idea (not meant as an insult) and I like the idea of being able to choose a profile!

Personally I love the variety of kits on offer here. Very hard to choose what I would go for. I will say that it looks like the coloured ISO kit needs some work as all keys are blue, when some should be orange.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 05:56:50 »
The vehicle still reminds me of a cockroach.

Good luck with IC! Can't wait for actual KAT renders (you might need to prioritise this ASAP).

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:02:22 »
It is really all unfortunate timing, or...  either Smokey and I can read the other's mind. My mind is full of filth, so spare some sympathy his way  ;D.

Please note that I did post a feedback post in another subforum yesterday, however it didn't garner much attention: (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110050.msg2988846#msg2988846).
Plus I posted a render on reddit, prior to Smokey's IC coming out today (https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/k8pd4d/now_youre_thinking_with_portals/)

I wish I could do novelties, kitting, deskmats and renders in the space of an hour a half.  This obviously has taken me a fair bit of time to get to its current stage. I was mainly touching up kitting, and waiting for renders to arrive (soonTM).

I'm not going to deny rushing this IC out a day or two earlier than I wanted. Ideally, I should have more KAT renders prior to posting this (the ETA for delivery was in the next 48hours), but the longer I wait to post 'IC" after Smokey's IC, the more the unintended consequence of me being called a copycat ensues.
So I thought it would be interesting to post mine at around the same time so we can fairly let the community have a look at both, even if it's not deemed at today's Geekhack standards of a 'final draft' for IC.

Smokey and I talked earlier this week and we've kissed and made up.
**** happens, life goes on, and yeah, it's kinda funny and appropriate that there's 2 versions of the same theme given the duality of Portal. Unfortunately this isn't co-op, so we're going to run our sets independently.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:05:19 »

This 100%.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:12:29 »

KAT >GMK (May or may not be biased. And a hypocrite, cause I'm typing on GMK Olivia atm haha)

That's the right mindset!

GLWIC Boba!
Thanks Smokey. It's kinda fun playing spot the difference between both our decisions with design of this set.

Yes

Show Image

Best of luck to both of you :|
Thanks <3

Why not both?

It's hardly an original idea (not meant as an insult) and I like the idea of being able to choose a profile!

Personally I love the variety of kits on offer here. Very hard to choose what I would go for. I will say that it looks like the coloured ISO kit needs some work as all keys are blue, when some should be orange.
Por que no los dos? I agree, hopefully we can hold hands. Each profile has their own strengths.
Thanks for the heads up on ISO errors! I will correct this.

The vehicle still reminds me of a cockroach.

Good luck with IC! Can't wait for actual KAT renders (you might need to prioritise this ASAP).
Thanks! Those renders are a priority. I have been requesting (begging) and hiring over the last 48 hours haha. Good luck with IC too, GMK Maestro is gonna be a classic.

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:13:24 »
Both sets have good ideas, and there are things I like about some that I prefer from the other. Here’s a wild idea though: rather than compete with one another, how about you join forces and come up with the ultimate Portal-inspired keycap set together?

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:14:10 »
wow the timing on this... quite unfortunate for both parties

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:17:38 »
One other comment: given that this is dyesub, what about using FF DIN Bold as the typeface for legends?

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:27:42 »

This 100%.
200% actually according to my calculations.

Both sets have good ideas, and there are things I like about some that I prefer from the other. Here’s a wild idea though: rather than compete with one another, how about you join forces and come up with the ultimate Portal-inspired keycap set together?
How dare you like some features of that competing set over mine? No I think there are different elements we each did better. Anyways, Smokey and I will see how things play out.

One other comment: given that this is dyesub, what about using FF DIN Bold as the typeface for legends?
Cheers, I'll take a look at that typeface and see if it's superior to the current selection which is also sharp/clean in style as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:42:44 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:51:46 »
It’s like the keycap equivalent of Deep Impact versus Armageddon.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:52:32 »
Considering I use a split ortholinear keyboard with Colemak, there's not even a remote chance I would have gotten GMK Gateway.

In KAT however, this is perfect!

Offline harlekein

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 06:57:09 »
As long as it's KAT...

It could be a good idea to work together for matching cables, artisans, deskmats, etc. But just leave KAT/GMK separate.

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 07:04:37 »
Cheers, I'll take a look at that typeface and see if it's superior to the current selection which is also sharp/clean in style as well.

For sure, it’ll be down to taste somewhat, but in case you weren’t already familiar with it, FF Din is the typeface used for the Portal logo, as well as some of the HUD UI in Half-Life 2. The name DIN itself comes from it being a German industrial standard.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 07:10:52 »
It’s like the keycap equivalent of Deep Impact versus Armageddon.
Ah yes the twin film phenomenon. Funny enough 1998 was also when Antz vs Bug's life also came out too.

Considering I use a split ortholinear keyboard with Colemak, there's not even a remote chance I would have gotten GMK Gateway.

In KAT however, this is perfect!
Awesome. I really think the split alpha concept shines best on the more exotic layouts, and exactly why I pivoted away from GMK early on.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 08:34:45 »
Much thanks for including colevrak in the orange/blue  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline psxndc

[IC] KAT QUANTUM
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 08:36:13 »
That Colevrak+ kit... I know it’s a WIP, but it’s the most bonkers Colevrak kit I’ve seen. I *love* it. I could take it as-is once finished or as a standalone Colemak kit (please support DH and DHm if you split it off).

And THANK YOU for putting in an R2 control and blanks in the ortho kit. Not everyone has TAB or ESC there.

Definitely in for KAT. No disrespect to the gmk IC, I just love KAT’s flexible kitting.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2020, 08:40:13 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 08:44:27 »
I could potentially like this very much but the colors in the kitting look significantly better than in the renders and I don't know which one you're aiming for

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 09:52:31 »
Much thanks for including colevrak in the orange/blue  :thumb: :thumb:
No problems. This set is socialist in nature.
That Colevrak+ kit... I know it’s a WIP, but it’s the most bonkers Colevrak kit I’ve seen. I *love* it. I could take it as-is once finished or as a standalone Colemak kit (please support DH and DHm if you split it off).

And THANK YOU for putting in an R2 control and blanks in the ortho kit. Not everyone has TAB or ESC there.

Definitely in for KAT. No disrespect to the gmk IC, I just love KAT’s flexible kitting.
Yes, it kind of broke my brain whilst I trying to make the Colevrak+ kit. When I do clean it up, I will endeavour to support DH and DHm too in its own kit.

I could potentially like this very much but the colors in the kitting look significantly better than in the renders and I don't know which one you're aiming for
The renders are currently a bit overlit. I am using GMK's V2 for orange (see photos of GMK Carbon), N5 for blue (see photos of  GMK Hydro), and CP for white (see photos of  GMK Olivia)
Otherwise here's a good reference image that might help:
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2020, 09:54:42 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 09:56:10 »
Wait what I thought i just saw a GMK set like this
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Ciantha

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 10:07:58 »
I'm guessing the Nordic kit would come with an ISO enter and it's just missing from the pictures? Because having to buy the UK kit to get the ISO enter to actually use your Nordic kit seems a bit awkward.

If there's a problem with too many kits my suggestion would be cutting the black alphas for the less common languages/layouts and only keeping the orange/blue. My reasoning being that it should stay quite true to the portal theme whilst still giving minorities access to pretty keyboards (which is one of the draws of KAT/KAM).

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 11:31:52 »
I mentioned this in the GMK thread, but dyesub offers a lot more options over doubleshot in terms of color usage and an opportunity here to differentiate this set from the GMK one. You have the right idea with the gradient caps but perhaps not the best execution there. Also, there's a lot of gray in the game that I think would make this set look better if incorporated.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 11:59:39 »
I'm guessing the Nordic kit would come with an ISO enter and it's just missing from the pictures? Because having to buy the UK kit to get the ISO enter to actually use your Nordic kit seems a bit awkward.

If there's a problem with too many kits my suggestion would be cutting the black alphas for the less common languages/layouts and only keeping the orange/blue. My reasoning being that it should stay quite true to the portal theme whilst still giving minorities access to pretty keyboards (which is one of the draws of KAT/KAM).

I think the kitting with regard to ISO needs some adjustments. More likely the better route is to put each ISO enter key with its own mods kit rather than lumping four of them into a single kit.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 12:28:19 »
Yes, it kind of broke my brain whilst I trying to make the Colevrak+ kit. When I do clean it up, I will endeavour to support DH and DHm too in its own kit.

Just to be clear, I wouldn’t offer a DH or DHm set as a standalone apart from a Colemak kit. I would just include the 6 keys needed for DH/DHm in the Colemak set, specifically:
K3 B,
K2 G, K, and M,
K1 D, and  H.
Ortho. Always.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 15:04:16 »
A standalone Colemak and separate Dvorak alpha kit would be preferable.

Take a look at KAT Space Cadet and Napoleonitic for examples.

My preference is white background with colored legends.

Offline The Cat Whisperer

• meowdy
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 15:11:29 »
wow what a clean design damn. love how the novelties interact with each other, with the orange portal leading to the blue.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 15:17:25 »
I like it.  Really like the colorful alpha kits too.  Keep the font centered to make it more distinct from the GMK set.  :thumb:

Offline Naja

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 17:53:15 »
Sad not to see French Kit, but this set reminds me so many things  :p

Offline EURA

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 18:59:37 »
I'm going to say the same thing on GMK Gateway's IC thread as well, but instead of both of you rushing out your IC's, [whether or not you didn't rush it, it feels incredibly rushed], I wish you both would have thought about really fleshing them out at the same time, and releasing them at the same time as well-thought out interest checks. I like and dislike things about both versions, and honestly this could have been a wonderful collaboration between two designers in the community. As much as you say you both say there are no hard feelings, just know that the way you both went about this turn of events, reflects somewhat poorly on both of you. You both let your pride get in the way of your IC's looking fully fleshed out and it just simply cannot be ignored.

Best of luck to you both.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 19:01:21 »
I'm going to say the same thing on GMK Gateway's IC thread as well, but instead of both of you rushing out your IC's, [whether or not you didn't rush it, it feels incredibly rushed], I wish you both would have thought about really fleshing them out at the same time, and releasing them at the same time as well-thought out interest checks. I like and dislike things about both versions, and honestly this could have been a wonderful collaboration between two designers in the community. As much as you say you both say there are no hard feelings, just know that the way you both went about this turn of events, reflects somewhat poorly on both of you. You both let your pride get in the way of your IC's looking fully fleshed out and it just simply cannot be ignored.

+1

Offline Ashen_21

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 19:14:10 »
I love this set so much!

Offline v683

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 00:33:01 »
I like it! Good luck with the alternative layouts, I'll be using Colemak Dhm myself

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 01:15:31 »
wow what a clean design damn. love how the novelties interact with each other, with the orange portal leading to the blue.
Thanks :). The concept itself lends to a lot of fun with novelty positioning. I immediately fell in love with the literal appropriateness of the escape novelty being someone escaping the room with a portal,  and enter novelty key being someone entering a room via a portal. It just works!

I like it.  Really like the colorful alpha kits too.  Keep the font centered to make it more distinct from the GMK set.  :thumb:
Thank you! I think I will likely keep the font centered and utilise a font closer to the original game that kapowaz suggested

I mentioned this in the GMK thread, but dyesub offers a lot more options over doubleshot in terms of color usage and an opportunity here to differentiate this set from the GMK one. You have the right idea with the gradient caps but perhaps not the best execution there. Also, there's a lot of gray in the game that I think would make this set look better if incorporated.
Yes, I am leveraging the ability of dyesub and KAT MOQ to offer more options for kitting and novelty designs. I agree the gradient caps aren't well-executed, and will be reworking them. The white transition is too awkward as is, either I'll make the majority of the spacebar white, with the colours gradient mainly on the peripheries and/or going with solid blocks of colours. I do agree the game has a lot more gray and black, but after multiple efforts trialling how to incorporate those colors more (i.e. making the mods or alphas or accents coloured), I couldn't get them to look as good as the clean white variants (see image album of concepts: https://imgur.com/a/FHa9QNI)

Ouch, harsh words Eura, but you know I respect your views regardless. I'm not going to deny I rushed the IC out (*cough* renders in cherry), but the bulk of the work such as colours, kitting and novelties is definitely IC ready for feedback. Could this IC be more fleshed out? Yes. Does it really need to be prior to posting it? No. But that's an off-topic debate on what the GH community's rising expectations of what is considered "IC" ready.  Rushing to IC is not the worst thing in the world, and it's not like I'm just posting a KLE render.
Not that it's a great excuse, but I felt that posting my IC at the same evening as Smokey's; versus a few days later whilst I wait renders would be better, since a) I wanted to pre-emptively avoid being called a copycat (we're both clear we did not steal the idea from the other); b) it's spicier to see reactions simultaneously. It's also clear that we have our differing visions/executions of the same inspiration, and seeing the community's reactions to both would be a more fair evaluation of the merits of each others ideas, versus it being cluttered of baseless accusations.
On a more important and interesting point, and to in regards to the actually purpose of IC, I'd love to know what you actually like and dislike about the design, and what to improve/change.
After further thought and reflection, I'm also not against a collaboration if Smokey is open to it, but that requires two to tango.

I think the kitting with regard to ISO needs some adjustments. More likely the better route is to put each ISO enter key with its own mods kit rather than lumping four of them into a single kit.
Thank you for pointing this out. Part of me forgot, and part of me was hoping everyone just gets the novelty kit, so that kinda covers that gap in kitting, but after speaking to nopunin10did (whose underrated KAT Napoleonic set I heavily derived kitting from for obscurer alphas from), I will be implementing ISO enter keys into the default mods kits.

A standalone Colemak and separate Dvorak alpha kit would be preferable.

Take a look at KAT Space Cadet and Napoleonitic for examples.

My preference is white background with colored legends.
Hi, I was definitely thinking along those lines would be a good idea. For kitting, I was mainly deriving off Konstantin's significant contributions to JSS's KAT Monochrome and Macsurfy's KAT Refined as a base, but as I ventured into obscure alphas, have started to appreciated Nopunin10did's alternative approach to those layouts.

Wait what I thought i just saw a GMK set like this
Yes, we're twinsies. Fraternal twins.

Just to be clear, I wouldn’t offer a DH or DHm set as a standalone apart from a Colemak kit. I would just include the 6 keys needed for DH/DHm in the Colemak set, specifically:
K3 B,
K2 G, K, and M,
K1 D, and  H.
I'll continue reworking Colemak/DH(DHm) in a way to ensure there is compatibility for as many as I can, whilst trying to not make kits unnecessarily expensive.

Sad not to see French Kit, but this set reminds me so many things  :p
Hi, I am polling the option, but given its lack of popularity based on the sales data of many KAT sets, unfortunately something has to give as the number of SKUs is already high. Text variants of ortho and 40s will be culled (icons will stay).

I love this set so much!
Thank you. <3

I like it! Good luck with the alternative layouts, I'll be using Colemak Dhm myself
Thanks. Will definitely cover Colemak Dhm!

Offline harlekein

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 02:19:01 »
A bit of a sidetrack, but on the topic of Colemak: DH is DHm now. Meaning it was recognized that when using the DH mod, the DHm is the one to go to:

https://forum.colemak.com/topic/2638-announcement-a-change-to-colemakdh/

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 02:28:04 »
A bit of a sidetrack, but on the topic of Colemak: DH is DHm now. Meaning it was recognized that when using the DH mod, the DHm is the one to go to:

I appreciate the clarification/education!
Learning the variety of obscure layouts has been really kind of cool, and reading some of the history and considerations behind the development of colevrak, colemak, and dvorak etc has been quite interesting.

Offline horchata771

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 03:00:09 »
Oh man. I wish I hadn't seen this. R.I.P. my future wallete. This is right up my alley.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 03:03:02 »
I appreciate the clarification/education!
Learning the variety of obscure layouts has been really kind of cool, and reading some of the history and considerations behind the development of colevrak, colemak, and dvorak etc has been quite interesting.

Another note: Colevrak isn't an alternative layout, its a mash-up of the words Colemak and Dvorak.

A Colevrak kit adds the keys so a QWERTY kit can be expanded to either Colemak or Dvorak.

I think the person who knows more about this topic than anyone else here would be dvorcol. (The one from the pretty GB graphs)

Offline psxndc

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 03:08:05 »

heresy!

Maybe I’ll try DHm. My first name ends in K and last name starts with M so I’m going to use those key positions regardless.
Ortho. Always.

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 03:37:25 »
Two ICs of the same theme is a whole lot more unfortunate than two ICs of differing themes which happen to be very similar in colourway - at least in that case, you'll be appealing to different people. Not sure how you want to run this - is it a secret Cold War race to secure a GB slot? It's a beautiful idea but the obvious tension makes me feel very yikesy. Judging initial reactions on opposing threads may be entertaining for you now, but I don't see any way this will end amicably for either party; it may just end up making both of you look bad to the community, which I'm sure you don't want. As someone who has a million other ideas in the works, you could afford to let this one go...? I for one am very interested in seeing KAT Spacedust/Great Wave progress over this IC :)

Offline harlekein

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:02:13 »
As someone who has a million other ideas in the works, you could afford to let this one go...? I for one am very interested in seeing KAT Spacedust/Great Wave progress over this IC :)

No. But maybe I'll go into KAT Spacedust and tell the OP to abandon that project instead.

Or not, because that would be insane.

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:18:54 »
As someone who has a million other ideas in the works, you could afford to let this one go...? I for one am very interested in seeing KAT Spacedust/Great Wave progress over this IC :)

No. But maybe I'll go into KAT Spacedust and tell the OP to abandon that project instead.

Or not, because that would be insane.

Fair point, friend. Just... two incredibly similar sets. I don't know. I'd abandon it if I were Boba, but my mama did raise a quitter, and that's all I'd think about doing. Is this fight even worth it? Won't it be a better idea to shelve the idea until after Smokey's GB runs or something? Why the need for conflict, and why the rush? What would you suggest that would result in a better outcome?