Author Topic: Writer just looking for best mechanical keyboard  (Read 13949 times)

Offline Sigurd

Writer just looking for best mechanical keyboard
« on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 20:13:50 »
Hi all.

I'm a writer looking for my perfect keyboard to be purchased in Ontario, Canada.

From my research I think I'm looking for a cherry brown mechanical keyboard with, or without, the number pad.

I'm considering a Das Keyboard or something backlit. There's not a tremendous geek apeal for having no letters but I don't want to type them off the surface either. Letters on the front seem to make sense to me.

Any ideas about sales etc????

What do people suggest?

Offline Linkbane

Re: Writer just looking for best mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 20:47:14 »
I write quite a lot, and I prefer MX Blues myself, but I tried Browns once and thought that they were really nice. Those two are probably the best typing switch, as anything heavier tires out my fingers after typing for extended periods, and it would be pretty pointless to get a keyboard that would limit your writing, hm?

Das makes some good keyboards, the only issue is the glossy surface, which tends to display dust like an exhibit hall. If you want front-printed, their Professional (rather than Ultimate) series is printed.
I saw that you said you might/might not want the numpad, perhaps you might like the Quickfire TK which alternates between a numpad and arrow switches depending on if Num Lock is on or not. If you have the money for the Das and want a full-size, by all means you won't regret it.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Sigurd

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:16:40 »
Thank you.

I don't see any mechanical keyboards in my local stores so I'm sort of buying blind.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:19:37 »
Do you happen to live in or near Toronto? We have quite a few members there who could probably meet up to try boards.

Before I knew what cherry switch I would like, I thought browns. Now I own more switch types than I could hope, and browns are probably my least favourite.

Also, for canada, ncix.com usually has deals going on once in awhile. The ducky shine zero look like nice cheap backlit boards.

Offline Sigurd

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:22:08 »
I'm in Guelph but really really busy with school. I've rationalized this time by believing I need it for writing. :cool:

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:24:49 »
The best for writing would be Topre switches :P

Here's a link to a comparatively cheap one: http://www.amazon.com/Topre-Type-Heaven-104-key-Keyboard/dp/B00DGJALYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381980355&sr=8-1&keywords=topre
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:26:34 by PointyFox »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:26:35 »
Well, if you know that you don't mind a tenkeyless and want backlit, the TK is one of the most economic options but there are some fancier options like the TKL/fullsize Ducky series, almost all of which are backlit (the Shine 3 is currently only fullsize, but the TKL is coming soon and the lighting is really fancy), the CODE keyboard from wasdkeyboards.com is really nice looking, although quite expensive.

Simplicity is nice though, so  I would say that you'll probably grow to love the TK as I have if you write a lot and occasionally want the numpad. It's well built, has a steel backplate colored to the backlighting to enhance color and several brightness levels, from soft glow to TRON.  Hopefully you find what you'd like, and I do recommend getting a backlit. It's always a bit sad when someone gets a board and they always wish that it had the fancy lights.

@Halverson
I don't see what the MX Brown dislike is about. Perhaps if you tend to hit the keys hard (accustomed to Clears or similar), it won't feel like much, but I'd always thought that it felt very easy on the fingers and easy to type on. Of course, I was pretty much sure that I wanted Blue, and still love it, so I'm kind of biased.

@PointyFox
smh
(jk, but there aren't any Topre backlit)
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:30:10 »
Well, if you know that you don't mind a tenkeyless and want backlit, the TK is one of the most economic options but there are some fancier options like the TKL/fullsize Ducky series, almost all of which are backlit (the Shine 3 is currently only fullsize, but the TKL is coming soon and the lighting is really fancy), the CODE keyboard from wasdkeyboards.com is really nice looking, although quite expensive.

Simplicity is nice though, so  I would say that you'll probably grow to love the TK as I have if you write a lot and occasionally want the numpad. It's well built, has a steel backplate colored to the backlighting to enhance color and several brightness levels, from soft glow to TRON.  Hopefully you find what you'd like, and I do recommend getting a backlit. It's always a bit sad when someone gets a board and they always wish that it had the fancy lights.

@Halverson
I don't see what the MX Brown dislike is about. Perhaps if you tend to hit the keys hard (accustomed to Clears or similar), it won't feel like much, but I'd always thought that it felt very easy on the fingers and easy to type on. Of course, I was pretty much sure that I wanted Blue, and still love it, so I'm kind of biased.

@PointyFox
smh
(jk, but there aren't any Topre backlit)

Back-lighting is just a novelty.  If he wants fancy lighting he's better off getting some fancy color-changing area or accent lighting.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:30:48 »
I type quite a lot as well, but I like heavier switches.

You have to remember that switch preference is just that. There is no 'gaming' or 'typing' or anything switch. It all comes down to your taste.

It's not the same as typing on a full board, but you could try getting some switch tester kit (WASD had them, but they are now out of stock) and see which you like the most.

If you don't care about the backlit aspect that much, Filco has boards with the letters on the side of the caps, so they wouldn't wear out.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:30:58 »
@Linkbane- The problem with browns is that when typing at any speed, they seem to lose most tactile feeling, and begin feeling like reds with a little sand in the switch. Having a little more tactile bump just makes it so much nicer. Like putting brown springs in clear switches.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:32:16 »
Oh and as for being afraid of wearing out caps, I highly recommend just finding a set of beautiful caps from one of our many group buys going on. Doubleshot caps will never fade :)

Or if you like to keep things stock, the Filco makes a ninja board that has letters on the front of caps. They are very well made boards.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:43:49 »
I vote for Realforce.  It's pretty much as good as you can get off the shelf.
If you aren't a total computer geek, I doubt very much you want to be joining GBs or putting together kits.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:45:26 by metalliqaz »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:45:10 »
Oh and as for being afraid of wearing out caps, I highly recommend just finding a set of beautiful caps from one of our many group buys going on. Doubleshot caps will never fade :)

Or if you like to keep things stock, the Filco makes a ninja board that has letters on the front of caps. They are very well made boards.

Ah, forgot about the Filco. I'm sure those will do well, they're similar to the Cooler Master Stealth series, which does the same on the keycaps. The manufacturers are the same for both, also.
But either one should be fine. And if you get the Das Ultimate, well, what's going to fade there?  ;D
The Das looks really nice, I'm thinking of going for one next. Can't decide if I want it with Blues or Browns, because I already have Blues, but still. The Das.

Back-lighting is just a novelty.  If he wants fancy lighting he's better off getting some fancy color-changing area or accent lighting.
Don't tell the OP what's best for him if he's asking for a keyboard.

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:59:21 »
Thank you.

I don't see any mechanical keyboards in my local stores so I'm sort of buying blind.

There are a couple retail mechanical keyboards available in stores in Canada (at least on the West Coast!), but they're very rarely out on display--only in boxes. You might be able to get an employee to take one out of the box for you to check out, at least to get an idea of the feel and sound in person (I did). Depending on the store you could also try out a keyboard for a week or two and still return it (like with a 30-day return policy) if you don't like it as much as you thought you would.

I personally bought a Logitech G710+ from Future Shop to try out MX Browns when I was deciding between MX Browns and Topre (and returned it just as my Leopold FC660C Topre board arrived in the mail.) If you want to see/feel Blues as well as some people have suggested, then the Razer BlackWidow is widely available for you to check out (though most people don't approve of the actual board itself), and if you can't find the Logitech G710+ then the Razer BlackWidow Stealth version is also MX Browns--and all three of these keyboards are backlit as well.

If you're worried about wearing out the keys look for something with doubleshot keycaps, AFAIK those are the most resistant because the color of the letters goes all the way through the key.

From what I've seen the "best" keyboard all comes down to personal preference. I like MX Browns, but I opted for a Topre primarily because I was in love with the sound (the rest was just gravy) and after much research I ended up blind buying a board. I would say look around, see what piques your interest, listen to some youtube videos, and read some reviews. There is a whole wide world of keyboards on here that you won't see in stores, and if you're going to be spending so much time with this instrument of your art, I'd say you should find one you love. (But that's just me.)  ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 23:33:34 by Phedran »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 23:03:50 »
Thank you.

If you're worried about wearing out the keys look for something with doubleshot PBT keycaps, AFAIK those are the most resistant because the color of the letters goes all the way through the key.

PBT is shine resistant but damn near impossible to make into doubleshots. Unless you buy some of the new Vortex ones with, imo, the most terrible font. Generally you will want dyesub pbt, where the legend is dyed into the cap, and penetrates deep enough that it will not wear out with normal use. Oh and you cannot dyesub a lighter colour onto a darker background. EX-can't put white on black, but you can do any colour on white

ABS is used to make doubleshots all the time, but is prone to shiny caps.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 05:22:21 »
Hey, another writer! I'll just tell you what worked for me, but perhaps you can keep your mind more in check than myself. I would recommend buying as many different keyboards as you can get your grubby little fingers on. Many different switches, layouts, plastic types, colors, feels, looks, and smells. Soon you'll have a decent collection of boards and your tireless fingers will never dull because there is no one perfect switch, and changing it all up from time to time will keep both your prose and creativity fresh.

Offline 127001

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 07:23:58 »
I'm using a 26 year old IBM Model M with no shine and only a minor amount of fading on the right hand Alt key. Just saying.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 08:10:43 »
Thank you.

If you're worried about wearing out the keys look for something with doubleshot PBT keycaps, AFAIK those are the most resistant because the color of the letters goes all the way through the key.

PBT is shine resistant but damn near impossible to make into doubleshots. Unless you buy some of the new Vortex ones with, imo, the most terrible font. Generally you will want dyesub pbt, where the legend is dyed into the cap, and penetrates deep enough that it will not wear out with normal use. Oh and you cannot dyesub a lighter colour onto a darker background. EX-can't put white on black, but you can do any colour on white

Better than the Deck at least.  :D

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 08:16:45 »
I'm using a 26 year old IBM Model M with no shine and only a minor amount of fading on the right hand Alt key. Just saying.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a used Model M. If you can find one, maybe an SSK.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 08:50:45 »

Could you please elaborate on your comment about how blues compares with brown? I know there are tents of reviews and guides on switches around, however I would prefer a direct personal opinion like yours over those general reviews. I am considering to get a new FC-660 with either of those switches for typing mainly, but I do not have a decision yet and no experience with either one. Now I am typing in a Pocker with reds. No bad by all means but the lack of feedback slows down my typing, also the lack of arrow keys affects my productivity with programming. Thus, I think I may solve both with a change of switches and layout I may get from a FC-660 with blues / browns.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

I write quite a lot, and I prefer MX Blues myself, but I tried Browns once and thought that they were really nice. Those two are probably the best typing switch, as anything heavier tires out my fingers after typing for extended periods, and it would be pretty pointless to get a keyboard that would limit your writing, hm?

Das makes some good keyboards, the only issue is the glossy surface, which tends to display dust like an exhibit hall. If you want front-printed, their Professional (rather than Ultimate) series is printed.
I saw that you said you might/might not want the numpad, perhaps you might like the Quickfire TK which alternates between a numpad and arrow switches depending on if Num Lock is on or not. If you have the money for the Das and want a full-size, by all means you won't regret it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 09:03:39 »

I have two sets of original cherries ABS double shots and one dye sub thick PBT caps with cherry fonts. I prefer the feeling and weight of the cherries over the PBT's. Some keys of the main set I use most of the time are a little shiney now but the soft surface is even nicer from a touch typing perspective. I know this is all about personal preferences though. I also like the aesthetics of the crisp fonts in the ABS.

Thank you.

Better than the Deck at least.  :D

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 09:06:06 »
I would also recommend a used Model M or SSK (if you don't mind the clicky noise)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 09:40:45 »

Could you please elaborate on your comment about how blues compares with brown? I know there are tents of reviews and guides on switches around, however I would prefer a direct personal opinion like yours over those general reviews. I am considering to get a new FC-660 with either of those switches for typing mainly, but I do not have a decision yet and no experience with either one. Now I am typing in a Pocker with reds. No bad by all means but the lack of feedback slows down my typing, also the lack of arrow keys affects my productivity with programming. Thus, I think I may solve both with a change of switches and layout I may get from a FC-660 with blues / browns.

Browns are the epitome of subtlety. If you type without excessive force, you should be able to feel the tactile feedback, a soft bump which is just noticeable, although not so noticeable to stop at without some practice and acclimation.

The click in Blues is much more distinct; you can feel the extra clicky part of the switch shoot down and click easily, but it is quite loud and jarring. However, if you really want to type and don't care about the noise, I would say that you'll be best with Blues. I game fine on Blues, better on Reds even, but that's only because I'm completely used to the former switch.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 10:20:45 »

Cool! I'd say I'll go for the blues. My dream input device (FC660M+Blues) should be in its way soon and my set of purple modifiers with matching right shift is waiting for it. Thank you a lot. I hope my wife don't kick me off the house while typing at midnight though! BTW do you think some o-rings may help reducing the noise without affecting the typing quality of the blues? I have some red soft o-rings in my keyboard parts drawer.

Browns are the epitome of subtlety. If you type without excessive force, you should be able to feel the tactile feedback, a soft bump which is just noticeable, although not so noticeable to stop at without some practice and acclimation.

The click in Blues is much more distinct; you can feel the extra clicky part of the switch shoot down and click easily, but it is quite loud and jarring. However, if you really want to type and don't care about the noise, I would say that you'll be best with Blues. I game fine on Blues, better on Reds even, but that's only because I'm completely used to the former switch.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:15:53 »
Cool! I'd say I'll go for the blues. My dream input device (FC660M+Blues) should be in its way soon and my set of purple modifiers with matching right shift is waiting for it. Thank you a lot. I hope my wife don't kick me off the house while typing at midnight though! BTW do you think some o-rings may help reducing the noise without affecting the typing quality of the blues? I have some red soft o-rings in my keyboard parts drawer

A blue convert! Hopefully you'll like it, and if not there's always the classifieds. Also, tell us how the FC660 is, I really want to know what you think of the layout.
For O-rings, I've never tried them, but I've heard that the thinner rings are fine because they rebound just a bit past the click, which I would think would be nice. There was one mentioned that almost cuts off the click (perhaps the black rings?) and that would detract from the sensation a lot for me. I'd say just try it on a few keys and see how you like it.

Good luck with your new board!

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 01:27:14 »

Cool! I'd say I'll go for the blues. My dream input device (FC660M+Blues) should be in its way soon and my set of purple modifiers with matching right shift is waiting for it. Thank you a lot. I hope my wife don't kick me off the house while typing at midnight though! BTW do you think some o-rings may help reducing the noise without affecting the typing quality of the blues? I have some red soft o-rings in my keyboard parts drawer.

I have tested the blue and red rings from WASD on Cherry blues.  There is a characteristic audible click to the blues that is not dampened by either ring, nor do they dampen the tactile feedback.  However, they do dampen the clacking noise you get from bottoming out.    However, the travel reduction with the blue rings is really noticeable.  I feel that they are too thick.  The reds are noticeable if I am really paying attention, but at .2 mm in thickness it is only a 5% reduction in travel, and I like the softer landing and reduced "clack" when I do inevitably bottom out.  Between the two types of dampeners, the difference in noise reduction is negligible.  You would probably only notice the noise difference if you are the kind who really hammers on the keys.

Personally, I use browns with the red dampeners installed.  I tested a co-worker's board with Cherry blues.  Someone more attuned to the blues may have a different on the matter.  For example, my co-worker (who is notorious in the office for being a loud typist) can't abide any sort of dampener.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2013, 01:29:12 by Benoît B. Mandelbrot »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:42:28 »
Interesting. I would be tempted to try red rings because they are subtle, but I don't bottom out most of the time and it might be too subtle to make a difference.
Argh. Subtle enough to be wanted, yet also enough to wonder if it's worth it.
By the way, how much does, say, an 87-key set go for?

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 13:07:55 »
Interesting. I would be tempted to try red rings because they are subtle, but I don't bottom out most of the time and it might be too subtle to make a difference.

I did quick eBay search, and you can get sets of 120 rings for about 6 bucks.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=cherry+switch+dampener&_sop=15
I wish I had noticed that before buying mine from WASD.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 19:32:59 »

I did quick eBay search, and you can get sets of 120 rings for about 6 bucks.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=cherry+switch+dampener&_sop=15

My god, so cheap. Actually will probably get some rings then, would you recommend red or white for MX Blue?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 07:16:56 »

My god, so cheap. Actually will probably get some rings then, would you recommend red or white for MX Blue?
I tried the blue rings on mx blue and brown and they really take away the feel of the switch imo, but for that price its no reason not to try. If i were you i would have tried the red o-rings!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 10:58:59 »
I tried the blue rings on mx blue and brown and they really take away the feel of the switch imo, but for that price its no reason not to try. If i were you i would have tried the red o-rings!

Good idea, I don't think it'll be difficult convincing someone with a card to get it for me.

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 20:40:28 »
I know keycool mechanical keyboard.

keycool 84 or 87 , with backlights. Personally prefer white backlights.
Blue and brown switches available.

NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 05:53:58 »
I hope this advice doesn't come too late, but if you haven't tried a mechanical keyboard before, you need to before you purchase one.  See if someone you know or someone nice enough here will let you test one out by typing something that you'd normally write.

There's a reason why these keyboards are sought after; but there's also a reason why 90% of the people out there could care less about them.  If you're one of the 10%, you'll never go back.  If you're part of the 90%, you'll want your money back.

Good luck to you whichever way you end up.  :)