Author Topic: New to geekhack - looking for a new keyboard  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Flyke

New to geekhack - looking for a new keyboard
« on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 07:59:45 »
Hi

I've been lurking for a while and finally pulled myself together and registered.
Been wanting a mechanical keyboard for a while and I've got my mind set on getting a Filco.

Thinking of getting a tenkeyless because of the smaller size, I don't know if I'll miss the keypad but I am willing to give it a try.

I've gone over the ninja vs non-ninja a bit and I am leaning towards the regular type with letters on top of the keys.
I've worn out the text on a few keyboards which is why the ninja could be an interesting choice. However I am not sure if I could get used to it.

What I really can't make my mind up about is the switch type. I've only seen a steelseries 6gv2 around here and I like the feel of the buttons, albeit I thought they were a bit on the heavy side last I tried pushing them.
I have also been considering getting switch samples .. the main reason I haven't is that all the nice sample kits available get too expensive and I'll risk having to pay huge fees to get them..

I am leaning towards trying mx brown switches.
My preference is typing over gaming.
Noise level does matter a great deal and thus I've ruled out blues.

I actually like my current keyboard which I've had for quite a few years now, a Compaq 166516-086 ( PS/2 ).
I've even found a thread on geekhack with pictures of the slider+dome.
It still works and the text on the keys have lasted longer than anything else I remember.

If anyone are still with me I'd be happy to take suggestions! :-)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: New to geekhack - looking for a new keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 09:23:29 »
Hi

I've been lurking for a while and finally pulled myself together and registered.
Been wanting a mechanical keyboard for a while and I've got my mind set on getting a Filco.

Thinking of getting a tenkeyless because of the smaller size, I don't know if I'll miss the keypad but I am willing to give it a try.

I've gone over the ninja vs non-ninja a bit and I am leaning towards the regular type with letters on top of the keys.
I've worn out the text on a few keyboards which is why the ninja could be an interesting choice. However I am not sure if I could get used to it.

What I really can't make my mind up about is the switch type. I've only seen a steelseries 6gv2 around here and I like the feel of the buttons, albeit I thought they were a bit on the heavy side last I tried pushing them.
I have also been considering getting switch samples .. the main reason I haven't is that all the nice sample kits available get too expensive and I'll risk having to pay huge fees to get them..

I am leaning towards trying mx brown switches.
My preference is typing over gaming.
Noise level does matter a great deal and thus I've ruled out blues.

I actually like my current keyboard which I've had for quite a few years now, a Compaq 166516-086 ( PS/2 ).
I've even found a thread on geekhack with pictures of the slider+dome.
It still works and the text on the keys have lasted longer than anything else I remember.

If anyone are still with me I'd be happy to take suggestions! :-)
Heya and welcome to GH!
I would suggest you to take a look at the coolermaster quick fire rapid! If you wsant nordic layout I can link you shops in Sweden or you could find it in Denmark for sure! Otherwise I would suggest you to look at amazon cause qfr is currently at a amizing price right now!
Best regards,
Signature
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Flyke

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 11:15:01 »
Heya and welcome to GH!
I would suggest you to take a look at the coolermaster quick fire rapid! If you wsant nordic layout I can link you shops in Sweden or you could find it in Denmark for sure! Otherwise I would suggest you to look at amazon cause qfr is currently at a amizing price right now!
Best regards,
Signature

Thanks for the welcome!

And for your suggestion!
I have looked a little at the CM keyboards. But I haven't found one offering the layout I am looking for.
I want the 88 keys layout ( that'll be the TKL version of 105 keys if I am not mistaken ? ).
And yes, I really want a nordic(danish) layout. The Filco is available in a Swedish/Finnish version and I can buy a Danish/Norwegian keyset.

Compared to a Filco the price is quite nice on those CMs though! :-)

//Flyke

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 12:04:02 »
Maybe this?
http://www.maxfps.se/produkt/6222
The picture isnīt equal to the keyboard but it offers a nordic layout for a reasonable price! :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Flyke

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:40:48 »
Now why did you make me look at the CM :-)
I wanted a Filco and now I kinda want both :-)
The CM quickfire rapid with mx brown isn't in stock anywhere near me yet, it will probably be soon.
It's mainly the price difference that makes the CM that attractive compared to a Filco MJ2 TKL.

I still haven't made up my mind about what switch to get..

Or Ninja vs non-Ninja if ordering a Filco :-)

If money wasn't an option I'd probably get a CM quickfire rapid red and a Filco mx brown :-)