Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 222730 times)

Offline moemoe666

• Silence Unicorn <3
Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 00:19:18 »
I'd love some Vietnamese coffee. :)

:D

could you please PM the address, I would send you some this weekend  ;D
Stuff:
Black Bird V1: Clear 72g - Light Saver V2 : Black 62g  - Rosewill : Vintage Black - 38gt Acrylic case : Brown 55g - Ducky Z One : Brown - Keycool Brown: R.I.P

Zowie EC2 Evo Black & White - SS Sensei MLG - SS Frost blue - Kana V1 - Kinzu V1

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #401 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:52:05 »
Anyone wanna try some Vietnamese Coffee :))

old man condensed milk is a must
Show Image

Vietnamese cà phê sữa đá (iced coffee with condensed milk) is probably my second favourite coffee, just after cafecito (Cuban espresso). You guys have got me jonezin' for some now and I'm stuck here at work drinking bagged longjing green tea like a sucker!
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #402 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:24:55 »
Has anyone here ever had Kopi Luwak?  I've never had any but my girlfriend is from Indonesia so she told me about it.

Apparently, it's one of those delicacies that some people really like and others just don't. But definitely for people not from Indo it makes sense to give it a try at least once.

Apparently, shipping it places is a complicated task given the way it is processed and all.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #403 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:29:14 »
Has anyone here ever had Kopi Luwak?  I've never had any but my girlfriend is from Indonesia so she told me about it.

Apparently, it's one of those delicacies that some people really like and others just don't. But definitely for people not from Indo it makes sense to give it a try at least once.

Apparently, shipping it places is a complicated task given the way it is processed and all.

I've had it. Tastes like crap :-)

Well, I'm sort of kidding. It's coffee with the added flavor of the ferret's digestive tract. So not much different than adding a flavoring to your coffee, just a lot more trouble, expense, and grossness.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:48:15 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #404 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:55:57 »
Anyone tried buttered coffee? I just made a cup, pretty good. Only thing that sucks is you constantly need to stir to keep the butter in emulsion. I've also heard if you blend it really good, it will stay in emulsion.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #406 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:09:23 »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #407 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:19:59 »

I've had it. Tastes like crap :-)

Well, I'm sort of kidding. It's coffee with the added flavor of the ferret's digestive tract. So not much different than adding a flavoring to your coffee, just a lot more trouble, expense, and grossness.

I'll have to try it someday.  I'm inclined to believe it is one of those things people have to do at least once.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #408 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:16:51 »
I'd love some Vietnamese coffee. :)

:D could you please PM the address, I would send you some this weekend  ;D

I got my coffee today. My mailbox has never smelled so good. It smelled like amazing coffee and my childhood. I can't wait to get some in me! Thank you so much moemoe666.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #409 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:30:22 »
I just found a supplier for my new love, Level Ground branded coffee beans. They taste so... pure.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #410 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 20:47:44 »

My Chinese friend in Indonesia loves Kopi Luwak and sends me photos of him enjoying it, that snob.  :p
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:07:36 »
If anyone wants fresh roasted coffee, let me know. I'll do it for cost + shipping to you (mostly because if you buy 1 lbs of coffee on Monday, you get a free latte) ;D

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #412 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:13:56 »
I'll take you up on that in the future beast, I've got some viet coffee to enjoy first.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:22:21 »
I'll take you up on that in the future beast, I've got some viet coffee to enjoy first.

They have some pretty good stuff and pretty much always fresh. I don't think I've ever gotten a bag that wasn't roasted within the last 4 days.

I've been pushing them to get some ethiopian long bean/harrar. Here's hoping!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #414 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:31:24 »
Beast, what kind of roaster are you rocking?  Something big like a probat?  I use a popcorn popper :-)
I'm back.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #415 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:38:43 »
Beast, what kind of roaster are you rocking?  Something big like a probat?  I use a popcorn popper :-)

I wish I was roasting my own but it's a local coffee shop. Buy one lb on Monday, free latte, so I tend to go Monday nights every other week (I use about a pound every other week)

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #416 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 10:50:28 »
If anyone is interested in really amazing local Seattle coffee, we have this place in my neighborhood called
Espresso Vivace.  I would be interested in exchanging with someone for a pound or so. :)

Also, if you'd rather just buy some yourself, they have a website and ship coffee inside the domestic US.

http://espressovivace.com/

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #417 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 11:13:57 »
I'm mentioned this before but these guys are my local roaster. Like The_Beast, they always roast in house fresh so I can stop by and grab anything people want. I'd be happy to do a trade of beans. I'm vary partial to their Ethiopian coffee; I haven't tried the Misty Valley yet but Binge loved his.

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #418 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:05:40 »
I'm mentioned this before but these guys are my local roaster. Like The_Beast, they always roast in house fresh so I can stop by and grab anything people want. I'd be happy to do a trade of beans. I'm vary partial to their Ethiopian coffee; I haven't tried the Misty Valley yet but Binge loved his.

Sent you a PM

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #419 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:34:10 »

My local roaster has a web site, but sadly they don't list what coffees they have in stock :(

If you tell me about the flavors you'd like, let me know and I pick something up for you!

They also come in pretty nice bags if that means anything to you ;D

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #420 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:56:06 »

Gotta love a nice bag.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #421 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:01:47 »

Gotta love a nice bag.

I keep all of them. They do a discount if you return and reuse them, but I like knowing what coffees of theirs I've already tried.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #422 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:34:46 »
Okay, at first I wrote it off as marketing nonsense, but now I'm intrigued.  Got pics?
I'm back.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #423 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:53:28 »
Okay, at first I wrote it off as marketing nonsense, but now I'm intrigued.  Got pics?

Well, maybe not THAT nice, but way better than EVP's bags. And EVP was THE place to get coffee in Madison, if that means anything. Resealable without the tin strap and the CO2 vent make it, IMO, a good bag. (don't mind the giant stack of dishes in the back, god i hate my roommates some times!)

Also thought I might as well do a battle station picture. Ceramic V60, Porlex Mini, Cory Vacuum Coffee Pot Maker, Aeropress, Baratza Encore, basic variable temp kettle and 2 Zojirushi mugs (one for coffee and one for ice water, GREAT mugs btw)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #424 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 14:04:15 »
Nice!
I'm back.

Offline moemoe666

• Silence Unicorn <3
« Reply #425 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:27:39 »

I got my coffee today. My mailbox has never smelled so good. It smelled like amazing coffee and my childhood. I can't wait to get some in me! Thank you so much moemoe666.

Niceee
:))
you re welcome, that my favorite coffee :D
Stuff:
Black Bird V1: Clear 72g - Light Saver V2 : Black 62g  - Rosewill : Vintage Black - 38gt Acrylic case : Brown 55g - Ducky Z One : Brown - Keycool Brown: R.I.P

Zowie EC2 Evo Black & White - SS Sensei MLG - SS Frost blue - Kana V1 - Kinzu V1

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
I'm back.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #427 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 07:10:03 »
Just made my first cup of the vietnamese coffee moemoe666 sent me. Just as strong as I remember it being. Made it in my aeropress. Strong, really smooth, and really thick. Like it was almost syrupy. It was delicious but now I'm too amped up at work.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #428 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 07:22:21 »

Just made my first cup of the vietnamese coffee moemoe666 sent me. Just as strong as I remember it being. Made it in my aeropress. Strong, really smooth, and really thick. Like it was almost syrupy. It was delicious but now I'm too amped up at work.

I know, right!  Sometimes after a quad espresso my legs get shakey at my desk and I can't sit still!!  First world coffee snob problems I guess. :-)
I'm back.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #429 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:46:26 »
It's Vietnamese Parrot Coffee time!
79269-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #430 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:47:36 »
Damn that looks good smarmar

Offline smarmar

« Reply #431 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:57:49 »
Damn that looks good smarmar

It was!  It was!    :D
I had not made ca phe sua nong in years but it turned out quite tasty.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #432 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 09:07:58 »

I know, right!  Sometimes after a quad espresso my legs get shakey at my desk and I can't sit still!!  First world coffee snob problems I guess. :-)

It takes me a full day to finish 1 Vietnamese iced coffee acquired from a pho noodle house, they're so strong.  Heedpantsnow, are you near Goldenrod and Lake Underhill?  If so, there is a pho joint called Saigon Noodle & Grill in the plaza next to the skating rink.  They have the best ca phe sua da I've ever had.  They use beans from their own coffee fields in Vietnam.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #433 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 10:15:28 »

It takes me a full day to finish 1 Vietnamese iced coffee acquired from a pho noodle house, they're so strong.  Heedpantsnow, are you near Goldenrod and Lake Underhill?  If so, there is a pho joint called Saigon Noodle & Grill in the plaza next to the skating rink.  They have the best ca phe sua da I've ever had.  They use beans from their own coffee fields in Vietnam.

Sweet. I'll have to check it out!

Right now I'm in Birmingham enjoying some luscious Octane Coffee.

I'm back.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #434 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:04:51 »

Show Image

Birmingham, Alabama or England?  I'm assuming Alabama, judging by that guy's shirt.  Either one--that coffee looked good!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #435 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 11:32:24 »

Show Image

Birmingham, Alabama or England?  I'm assuming Alabama, judging by that guy's shirt.  Either one--that coffee looked good!

Sorry, yeah, Alabama. Octane makes some very nice espresso in house but I can't seem to replicate it with their beans at home. Going to stick to Counter Culture. This is my last bag of Rustico, they are rebranding it "Mosaic". Whatever.
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #436 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 11:33:21 »
Also, I just got a La Marzocco portafilter body.

It can take a triple basket and 12mm threaded handles. Got a sweet deal on it too!
I'm back.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #437 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 17:24:47 »
Perhaps not 100% on topic but I don't think there is a general coffee thread here, is there? :P

First off, I r nub, but are there any places online to order coffee that is good and fresh? (Like with priority shipping and everything)

I love coffee but there really aren't places around me to get fresh stuff, at least that I can find. There is this one place right down the road that apparently stocks a ton of stuff and I went there yesterday but they only had about 3 different types of coffee sitting out. (I still got some but I want to try more)

Here is their website:
http://www.islandroastcoffee.com/about-us

Thanks  ;)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #438 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 17:57:04 »
Perhaps not 100% on topic but I don't think there is a general coffee thread here, is there? :P

First off, I r nub, but are there any places online to order coffee that is good and fresh? (Like with priority shipping and everything)

I love coffee but there really aren't places around me to get fresh stuff, at least that I can find. There is this one place right down the road that apparently stocks a ton of stuff and I went there yesterday but they only had about 3 different types of coffee sitting out. (I still got some but I want to try more)

Here is their website:

Thanks  ;)
When I first started ordering fresh coffee, I started off ordering from Stumptown,and actually still do occasionally just because some of their blends/single origins are just so damn good.  They roast anything you buy to order, and always ship next business day so by the time you get it, it's still super fresh.  One of my favorite parts about getting fresh coffee in the mail is how the aroma of the beans emits outside of the package and makes your mailbox smell like a coffeehouse. :)

I would highly recommend giving Stumptown a look, but could also recommend some other awesome vendors if you feel they're too expensive or anything. 
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #439 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 18:02:13 »
I heartily recommend all of these:
Counter culture (NC)
intelligentsia (Chicago)
Blue Bottle or Tonx (West Coast)
Redbird (Idaho I think)

All of them roast fresh and ship quick. You really can't go wrong.

I go with Counter Culture because they are regional, aren't super expensive, and give a discount on product and shipping for subscriptions.
I'm back.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #440 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 18:13:51 »

Here is their website:

Thanks  ;)
When I first started ordering fresh coffee, I started off ordering from Stumptown,and actually still do occasionally just because some of their blends/single origins are just so damn good.  They roast anything you buy to order, and always ship next business day so by the time you get it, it's still super fresh.  One of my favorite parts about getting fresh coffee in the mail is how the aroma of the beans emits outside of the package and makes your mailbox smell like a coffeehouse. :)

I would highly recommend giving Stumptown a look, but could also recommend some other awesome vendors if you feel they're too expensive or anything. 
Looks great, I will look into stumptown, any particular coffees you like the most from them? :D

I heartily recommend all of these:
Counter culture (NC)
intelligentsia (Chicago)
Blue Bottle or Tonx (West Coast)
Redbird (Idaho I think)

All of them roast fresh and ship quick. You really can't go wrong.

I go with Counter Culture because they are regional, aren't super expensive, and give a discount on product and shipping for subscriptions.
Thank you, I will give counter culture a try sometime  :)

Thanks both of you  :thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #441 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 18:21:31 »
Good luck, let us know what you end up with and how you like it!
I'm back.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #442 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 18:25:49 »
It's one of their more basic offerings, but their house blend left a really good impression on me, It worked really really well in my aeropress.  Here's the link for it : http://buy.stumptowncoffee.com/house-blend-1.html

Another thing I like is how they have all the tasting notes beside all of their coffees, and if you click the drop down menu under "Shop"  you can get an even more specific results.  I'm sure whichever you pick, you'll really like!  ;)
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline smarmar

« Reply #443 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:27:40 »

Show Image

Sorry, yeah, Alabama. Octane makes some very nice espresso in house but I can't seem to replicate it with their beans at home. Going to stick to Counter Culture. This is my last bag of Rustico, they are rebranding it "Mosaic". Whatever.
Show Image

Oh man, that HEAD!  That looks too delicious to drink!  I need to expand my coffee horizons a bit more.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #444 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:33:51 »
Not a good shot of the coffee per se but here was yester-evening's cup of sanity:
79693-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

And here is my collection of olde-school coffee devices:
79693-1" alt="" class="bbc_img" /> :thumb:

Offline smarmar

« Reply #445 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:36:27 »
Oops, that work how I had planned.  Here is last night's cup o' sanity:
79695-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #446 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:01:58 »
Nice ibrik Smarmar. Have you been to Middle East?
I'm back.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #447 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 10:59:37 »
I really need to pick up one of those little drip containers for that proper Vietnamese coffee. And Cafe du Monde is such a throwback for me :).

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #448 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:20:54 »
Well I don't think it has a huge impact but I forgot to empty my aeropress a couple nights ago and the plunger sat in the tube for a good 12-20 hours :/

It seems it doesn't take as much pressure to use anymore.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #449 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:24:51 »

Well I don't think it has a huge impact but I forgot to empty my aeropress a couple nights ago and the plunger sat in the tube for a good 12-20 hours :/

It seems it doesn't take as much pressure to use anymore.

I've heard they are prone to that. I've also heard that holding it under hot running water and letting it sit out for several days will return it to almost it's original seal.
I'm back.