Author Topic: Should I add acoutstic cutouts to a plate I'm making?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Leopard223

Should I add acoutstic cutouts to a plate I'm making?
« on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 19:45:38 »
I had them on my sketch and realized they're just where I planned to put holes for a 3D printed "PCB"'s standoffs, plus they probably add to the price.
Do they actually have any impact on sound? I'm planning to make the plate out of Carbon Fiber.

For anyone not familiar I'm referring to those cutouts.

Offline jamster

Re: Should I add acoutstic cutouts to a plate I'm making?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 20:46:41 »
Are acoustic cutouts common on these plates?

I've never seen one, my only acoustic experience is building speakers, but I find the idea of those cutouts in a plate riddled with other holes, especially in a material as damped as CF, kind of laughable.

Edit: From an acoustics perspective, those cutouts are either supposed to let sound through (which makes no sense considering there are lots of other holes, lots of caps in the way) or change the resonance of the plate (which makes no sense to me because CF, I doubt it makes any difference with other materials too). I'd be interested to know if whoever designs plates like this ever does frequency testing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 May 2021, 20:51:35 by jamster »

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 21:24:13 »
Are acoustic cutouts common on these plates?

I've never seen one, my only acoustic experience is building speakers, but I find the idea of those cutouts in a plate riddled with other holes, especially in a material as damped as CF, kind of laughable.

Edit: From an acoustics perspective, those cutouts are either supposed to let sound through (which makes no sense considering there are lots of other holes, lots of caps in the way) or change the resonance of the plate (which makes no sense to me because CF, I doubt it makes any difference with other materials too). I'd be interested to know if whoever designs plates like this ever does frequency testing.
I was designing a plate so I thought why not? but there's really no info on acoustic cutouts, seems like a gimmick, sadly keyboard science is very minimal especially this days. 
From research it doesn't seem like KeyCult or Rama does any of those cutouts so maybe it is a gimmick? I don't know if those brands are supposed to be keyboard experts but I'd imagine if it has any benefit you'd see those on the high end keyboards.

Offline jamster

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 21:44:09 »
If you're making the plates, then just make one with, and one without, then compare them.

I personally have doubts they'd do anything. The 'acoustics' part there would be resonance and having a couple of tiny slots cut out in a 25cm length of CF that's got a whole load of other stuff embedded into it seems highly unlikely.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 21:49:33 »
Sound is difficult.

I highly doubt they have the ability to do enough to matter and I'd be more concerned with what it will do to that sound if it does.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 22:48:25 »
Feel like the usual thing it does is just add flex to areas of the plate cause "gasket bounce go brrr"

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 05:01:34 »
acoustic is a really complicated science.
i've studied exhaust systems for work.
is hard to predict the sound waves in a pipe, imagine the reflection of sound waves inside a keyboard. :-X

my advice is to understand what your goal is and try to move is this direction.
if you want to reduce noise add foam, use material that absorb sound waves etc.
realise a first sample. then try different solutions on it.

i can't imagine how these cutout may effect sound.
they probably won't.
but you have to try it to be sure.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 09:47:46 »
acoustic is a really complicated science.
i've studied exhaust systems for work.
is hard to predict the sound waves in a pipe, imagine the reflection of sound waves inside a keyboard. :-X

my advice is to understand what your goal is and try to move is this direction.
if you want to reduce noise add foam, use material that absorb sound waves etc.
realise a first sample. then try different solutions on it.

i can't imagine how these cutout may effect sound.
they probably won't.
but you have to try it to be sure.
Thank you for the detailed answer! Guess I’ll have to experiment to find out.