Author Topic: Making my own Atreus, halp  (Read 2124 times)

Offline nulo

• nulo.in
Making my own Atreus, halp
« on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 15:50:03 »
Hey, I'm building my first keyboard (not my first mech keyboard but my first building one) and I want to make it pretty cheap (so mostly for learning purposes but I want to use this thing.)

I have a few questions:
  • Does MDF wood require any special treatment after being laser cut?
  • I saw that the original Atreus uses a 3mm switch plate but apparently if it's 1.5mm the switches "click" into place and I'd very much like that (I don't have access to hot glue and I'd rather not use it.) Is there a downside to using 1.5mm?
  • I would like to make the keys that are usually 1.5u in the atreus 2 different keys instead like in the keyboard.io Atreus, but I can't find the design file for laser cutting for it. Should I do it myself, or could somebody kindly do it for me?

Thanks! I'll post if I have any other questions.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 June 2021, 15:52:25 by nulo »

Offline fpazos

Re: Making my own Atreus, halp
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 16:48:36 »
1 not neccesary but mdf tend to absord humidity from your hands and will torn off

2 it'll be more flexible. Maybe not something bad but maybe a bit fragile in mdf

3 yes, it is easy. You must modify the firmware too

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline nulo

• nulo.in
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 17:20:22 »
1 not neccesary but mdf tend to absord humidity from your hands and will torn off

2 it'll be more flexible. Maybe not something bad but maybe a bit fragile in mdf

If I use acrylic then both of these things are solved right?

(also soy argentino :)

Offline nulo

• nulo.in
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 17:37:44 »
Another question: a board design for MX switches should work with Outemu switches too, right?

Offline fpazos

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 18:33:08 »
Hola! Yo de España!!

Yes. Both problems would be solved if you use acrylic.

All the MX switches use the same pins (kailh, gateron, outemu, cherry....) Outemu aren't too popular. Maybe you should check the most popular option in the low price range for the kind of switch you prefer.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 18:54:04 »
Isn't 1.5mm acrylic fragile and likely to snap?  I might be remembering that wrongly...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline nulo

• nulo.in
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 18:59:50 »
All the MX switches use the same pins (kailh, gateron, outemu, cherry....) Outemu aren't too popular. Maybe you should check the most popular option in the low price range for the kind of switch you prefer.

Sadly Outemu are the only real options locally, but I will probably replace the switches in the future (or build a new board.) My worry is that they won't click properly into the plate.

Offline nulo

• nulo.in
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 19:02:32 »
Isn't 1.5mm acrylic fragile and likely to snap?  I might be remembering that wrongly...

Possibly. Would MDF be less fragile? I want to use something cheap that won't break (don't mind if it's ugly.)

Is this design alright? It's the official Atreus but with the two keys added·
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 June 2021, 19:25:40 by nulo »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 19:31:12 »
I have no idea, I've never used either that thin.  If you just wanting cheap and have time you could use thicker MDF then file the sides of each hole at an angle from below until the top bit is only 1.5mm and the switches clip in.  I wouldn't suggest it on a big board but an Atreus doesn't have many switches.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fpazos

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 01:33:52 »
Hi suicidal. I don't know exactly. That's posible. I know for sure that md will be very fragile.

Offline nulo

• nulo.in
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 09:36:54 »

Possibly. Would MDF be less fragile? I want to use something cheap that won't break (don't mind if it's ugly.)

Is this design alright? It's the official Atreus but with the two keys added·

I got it done but the keys are too close to each other! And yes, MDF 1.5mm is quite fragile. I believe it could be done but I'd rather do it with a harder material so today I'm gonna try different ones (and with measurements fixed.)

Offline fpazos

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 13:48:06 »
I got it done but the keys are too close to each other! And yes, MDF 1.5mm is quite fragile. I believe it could be done but I'd rather do it with a harder material so today I'm gonna try different ones (and with measurements fixed.)

Good luck then. 19.05mm is the right size.

I just remembered using 2mm mdf and this was strong enough.