Author Topic: Buckling Spring Floss Mod  (Read 74624 times)

Offline instantkamera

Buckling Spring Floss Mod
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 20:29:12 »
This is actually a pretty cool and simple mod, I may try it. Anyone know where to get that **** in Canada, say shoppers or something?
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline doebedoe

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 27 January 2011, 15:18:29 »
Just did my first floss-mod to a particularly pingy Model M. Used Super Floss per th tutorial, which I found at my local CVS for under $4. Plenty left-over to mod my m13 when it arrives.

I haven't noticed much of a different in the feel of keys, still very tactile. Click on the way down is still quite nice. Just no key-release pings. Where I cut a piece of floss too long, some deadening or extra stiffness is noticeable -- but those keys were easy to fix by just taking a few millimeters off.

Thanks for this really clever, simple and reversible mod.

Offline turkey

Oral-B Superfloss Can't Simply be Dropped into Unicomp Buckling Springs
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 05:43:12 »
Geez, I'm not sure how you guys are having such an easy time simply snipping off floss and dropping it straight down into those buckling springs. I bought the same Oral-B Superfloss that skcheng showed in his starting post, but I am finding that the Unicomp buckling springs have an inner diameter that is smaller than the outer diameter of the Oral-B Superfloss' fuzzy section. The fuzzy section simply refuses to just simply be dropped down the interior of the springs.

I practically have to use the stiff section of the Oral-B Superfloss to stuff the fuzzy section into a spring's interior. Doing so is a rather tedious effort — stuffing two springs took thirty minutes, and there're a hundred more springs to go!

Also, I am finding that I can't really tell whether or not the spring has been fully stuffed with the fuzzy section of the Oral-B Superfloss just by looking, so the only thing I can do is to keep pushing more in with the stiff section of the Oral-B Superfloss until even that buckles (pardon the pun) under the strain. Stuffing just two springs in this way uses up the entire fuzzy section of a single strand of Oral-B Superfloss. Key response is still very good with no stiffness and the tactile click is still present, but the metallic ping of the spring is gone. At this rate, I will have to buy another box of Oral-B Superfloss to be able to stuff the last four springs.

I guess I could buy the thinner Oral-B Ultrafloss — perhaps that is the kind that can be just dropped straight into the springs, without having to resort to stuffing.

Offline turkey

Approximate Floss Length for Unicomp Buckling Springs
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 00:59:41 »
Okay, skcheng was definitely right about needing a sharp pair of scissors to snip the Oral-B Superfloss, as a clean cut greatly reduces any blooming or mushrooming of the cut ends. I used a pair of FISKARS Micro-Tip Scissors (with titanium nitride coating) to make the cuts. The cut floss can then be dropped into the centre of the buckling springs without any problems.

I've also found out that the length of the floss needed for the Unicomp buckling springs is approximately 16mm ± 0·5mm. Each strand of Oral-B Superfloss will yield six or seven pieces of this length of floss from its fuzzy section, more than enough for two entire 104-key Unicomp buckling spring keyboards.

Offline tobydeemer

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 21:14:33 »
Hey everyone-

While I hate to bring back a zombie thread yet again, this one seems like a common "periodically updated" kind of thing. In any event, I tried the Superfloss on my 1987 Model M. And I am genuinely surprised at how real the difference is. From various audio clips I'd come across, I wasn't sure how noticeable it would be. There's still the overall noise from the occasional bottoming out,  and the space bar clatter though it is still more muted. But the "pinginess" is almost completely gone. I've taken to using one of a couple scissor boards at work, due to the noise. Now however, I think I'd be able to get the M back in there where it belongs.  :-)

For the mod, I used a 'full length' measure of floss. I took a strand, snipped off the longer non-foam string and used the shorter stiff end as a sort of handle. Then I fed into a spring, snipped off right at the top, and replaced the key. Did the whole board in maybe 45 minutes or so. Wasn't tracking too closely. Anyway, the feel is no more stiff than before, and if anything, is a little... smoother, maybe?

All in all, I am actually really impressed with this mod, which seems to be a common reaction. Good bang for the buck and the effort, for sure.

Just my $.02.

Heh, if I really get the bug, I'll go for some dampening rubber sheets and a bolt mod. One mod at a time.

Cheers.
----
// SGI AT101 // SIIG Minitouch  // 87 & 93 & Terminal 122 Model M // Poker II Brown // CMS QFS Gateron Green // Alps GlidePoint Rackmount // DataGeneral 6311 Acer // ...annnnd some other randoms... //

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 07:46:15 »
I have been raving about the ease and effectiveness of this mod for months.

When I get out my unflossed M/Fs, they feel great and all, but the sound gets to me eventually. There is a solidity added to the feel in spite of the noise reduction, probably related to "chatter" or "resonance" whatever word you use to define that concept.

Floss for buckling springs and o-rings for Cherries are the mods that are near-essential in my book, now.

PS - you have to make a clean cut and hit the insertion on the first try. after you bunch up the fibers on the leading end you are unlikely to succeed, unless you just get lucky.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2012, 07:49:19 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline urbanus

Re: Buckling Spring Floss Mod
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 08:10:56 »
I guess I could buy the thinner Oral-B Ultrafloss — perhaps that is the kind that can be just dropped straight into the springs, without having to resort to stuffing.

I'd like to report success with Ultra Floss.

It doesn't exactly drop straight in, but it slides in with little difficulty (sometimes requiring a couple of attempts).  The effect is as reported here: the ping is gone, and the click is slightly softer.  I don't think it affects the feel of the keys much, if at all.  It also masks some of the subtle variations in sounds between different keys that you typically find on model M boards.

The effect on old silver label and white label model Ms is more pronounced than on Unicomp boards, because Unicomps ping less.  However even for Unicomps it's a noticeable enhancement.

Offline fabioruxo

• Pinsapp
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 10:56:50 »
Just applied the mod to my 1991 model M. I must say I love it! Ultra floss is the way to go for me (tried super but got no real significant change). I have cut the floss to be exactly the same length as the springs themselves and maintained the click sound but got rid completely of the loud metallic spring resonance. Two things: 1) The feel is slightly different to me. It's like I used to bottom out more often without the mod.. while now the keys feel a little "softer" and it's as if they sprung back quicker and keeping closer to the surface (they feel more like cherry browns, but sound more like blues). It might be just my personal feeling though. 2) The sound is way different. It's a little more "muffled" and even more "plastic" than before (because the metallic spring clang is mostly gone) but I must say I love it this way. And it sure is better at night when my 2yr old daughter is asleep ;-)
IBM Model M
WASD v1 w/cherry browns
Topre Realforce 87u EK edition all 45gr

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:39:20 »
Bringing back a dead thread to simply say: I just did this mod on my Unicomp and what an awesome difference. I love the tactile feel of the keys, but unless you are an ultimate die hard; the ping and reverberation can be come a bit much at times (exasperated when you are hungover, tired, have a headache, are irritated, etc. lol).

This mod has turned my Uni from a fun, side board to a legitimate contender for desk time with my HHKB... Good stuff!
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline cub3y

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:44:29 »
Im going to try this on my Model M keyboard. I just got my first mx mechanical board a few days ago (Filco Majestouch 2 with cherry mx browns) and while its amazing, it doesn't seem to compare to the feel of this board.

Will post my results once I can find some of this "fluffy" floss
Leopold FC 660M w/browns + red o-rings (work daily), Poker II w/blues + blue o-rings (home daily), Leopold FC 660M w/blacks, ErgoDox w/clears, Keycool 84 w/reds

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 08:22:11 »
Will post my results once I can find some of this "fluffy" floss

At Walgreens it is about $5 and that is enough to do at least a couple of boards.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:32:51 »
Thought I should resurrect this thread rather than start a new one :))

I'm currently in the process of floss modding my SSK after having given it a clean and the keycaps a good denture bath at the weekend - the difference is amazing :D  You still get the click and the tactile feel but without anything ringing like a bell!  I'd suggest it to anyone with the patience to do it - in my experience it's very temperamental - too much floss and you lose the click altogether...  Here's a video comparing before and after

and a nice (albeit potato) work in progress pic

Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 22:13:01 »
Bumping this good thread.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 22:21:21 »

I'm currently in the process of floss modding my SSK after having given it a clean and the keycaps a good denture bath at the weekend - the difference is amazing :D  You still get the click and the tactile feel but without anything ringing like a bell!  I'd suggest it to anyone with the patience to do it - in my experience it's very temperamental - too much floss and you lose the click altogether...  Here's a video comparing before and after

"This video is private" :(
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline aref

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 17:34:56 »
I did this mod to a formerly owned Lexmark manufactured Model M, it took the ping out of the keyboard. I found my Lexmark-made full-size Model M to sound much 'pingier' than IBM-manufactured full-size Model Ms. After the mod, the Lexmark Model M sounded much like Unicomp's contemporary buckling-spring keyboards, 'pingless'.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:51:49 »
I think that it just attenuates the higher overtones. This is a much nicer and more satisfying mod on an F than an M.

Since the spring buckles in the middle, the floss needs to fill more than half of the height, and if it is any bit longer than the spring the stem will not seat properly (you would think that it would simply compress the floss, but no).

There are surprising variations of effect across that 60%-100% fill range.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 00:20:40 »
I tried this mod after I started to use my F122 at job and I must say that it's amazing. You still ear the sound of the bottom out and some of the click when you actuate, yet it removes the ping/thing that resonates after and possibly lower the click of the actuation, but if so not by much. Yet it's still effective at making it not too loud and it still retains all the nice same feeling of the switches.

Also, very easy to do. Cut the pieces, put them in the spring, put the keycap back and your done!

BTW, I used super floss since it was the only available near me.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 00:47:48 »
You might be ok with one box, but it's hard to tell. 2 for sure, 3 I don't know but I really think so.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 00:59:18 »
I'll grab the four pack, its much worth my money anyways :p

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 06:26:47 »

Cut the pieces, put them in the spring, put the keycap back and your done!

If you have a small very sharp pair of scissors, I recommend putting the floss in whole and cutting it just at the top of the spring.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 12:17:57 »
I'm thinking of un floss modding my ssk.  Not sure I like how it's made the springs / switches / whatever feel much heavier.  I'd have to go back to it pinging like crazy but that may be the price to pay for it feeling 'right' again...  Anyone else swapped back?

Edit:

"This video is private" :(

Not sure why it's doing that tbh - will try to fix...

Edit 2:  Fixed I think
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 June 2014, 12:20:14 by GeorgeK »
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline Rainman

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:14:14 »
Amazing mod... quick and effective. Thanks ;)
Rocking Poker 2 with vintage MX Blacks

Offline kako

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:32:58 »
I used one strand of the super floss to mod 7 different keys - while it does take a lot of noise away, it also changes the mechanics a lot. The whole thing becomes softer and more numb and therefore provides less feedback. The worst for me is that it changes the height at which the spring collapses. Modded keys trigger sooner - if you press a modded and unmodded key down slowly at same rate, modded key will click first.

At least thats my experience (on restored, bolt modded ssk).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:50:55 »

The whole thing becomes softer and more numb and therefore provides less feedback.

This is why the mod is far less successful on the already-numb M than on the too-lively F.

The worst for me is that it changes the height at which the spring collapses. Modded keys trigger sooner - if you press a modded and unmodded key down slowly at same rate, modded key will click first.

To me, this is a big plus. I like high actuation points.

Also, the amount of floss has a big effect. It needs to come up halfway, because that is where the spring buckles. But there are big differences between 60%-70%-80%-90%-100% floss fills.

Offline kako

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 16:41:10 »

To me, this is a big plus. I like high actuation points.

Also, the amount of floss has a big effect. It needs to come up halfway, because that is where the spring buckles. But there are big differences between 60%-70%-80%-90%-100% floss fills.

Sure. I don't want to rain on your parade, just providing some feedback on my experience.

I did try to cut one at about 50% and yes there is some difference - its looking a bit more promising but too early to tell from only one key. I need to figure out how to get the half strand out first, before I apply it to more keys. Seems hard to reach, maybe with vacuum cleaner.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 17:38:55 »
I need to figure out how to get the half strand out first, before I apply it to more keys. Seems hard to reach, maybe with vacuum cleaner.

Get a pin or needle and bend an extremely small hook in the end of it.

Or, if you fish, straighten out a hook and use the barb.

Offline kako

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 12:45:34 »
I need to figure out how to get the half strand out first, before I apply it to more keys. Seems hard to reach, maybe with vacuum cleaner.

Get a pin or needle and bend an extremely small hook in the end of it.

Or, if you fish, straighten out a hook and use the barb.

Yes that worked out ok. For now I am back to completley flossless though.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 14:22:47 »
All Aboard the Necro Train!

i decided to floss mod my 87' SSK yesterday so i shot a short video for those on the fence about whether or not they want to try it.
Alphas + Modifiers (minus the FRow) are flossed. Thanks for this how to skcheng i didnt think i could enjoy this board anymore until i felt 1piece caps w/ the floss mod
sell out and eat ass

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 14:33:21 »
All Aboard the Necro Train!

i decided to floss mod my 87' SSK yesterday so i shot a short video for those on the fence about whether or not they want to try it.
Alphas + Modifiers (minus the FRow) are flossed. Thanks for this how to skcheng i didnt think i could enjoy this board anymore until i felt 1piece caps w/ the floss mod

Hell Yeah, nice video man. Good job.. Also nice SSK!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 15:03:30 »
Did the floss mod on my IBM Model F XT. Used 14-mm pieces from the fuzzy section of Oral-B Super Floss. It completely removed the "ping", but I still get a nice metallic click and excellent tactile feedback. No problems. Highly recommended.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 15:45:11 »
Floss mod on F is even more awesome than on M (since my F is ready, I didn't even touch one of my SSKs)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 17:05:40 »
In my opinion, the Model F seems "alive" because it has 3 plates in compression and tension, steel-to-fiberglass-to-steel, created during the assembly process, while the Model M feels "limpid" at best because it has only 2, plastic-to-steel, with a "blanket" between them.

In terms of feel, the Model F takes a very small hit with flossing, and remains completely "alive" regardless. The Model M does not lose much spring, but starts from a much lower level.

In terms of sound, the F has many high pinging resonant overtones, which flossing dampens considerably, without changing the lower resonant base. The M, dampened by rubber/plastic already, has little to lose, and loses little.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 03:44:40 »
So badly want a Model F now...

I floss modded my M with full length pieces. It's too "dead" for my taste so I'll be shortening them a bit. It's nice that it's a "tweakable" mod :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:03:17 »
Good sized Necro, but just wanted to throw up my floss modded video in the mix for my modded AT.

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Kad

• Δ E S T H E T I C S
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:35:33 »
Good sized Necro, but just wanted to throw up my floss modded video in the mix for my modded AT.

Great video! This seems like a pretty cool idea. Does it feel any different to type on floss-modded buckling springs or is it mainly just an auditory difference?

[WASD v2 w/ MX Blues]

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 21:17:05 »

Great video! This seems like a pretty cool idea. Does it feel any different to type on floss-modded buckling springs or is it mainly just an auditory difference?

It does affect it a tiny bit.  But I am doing this with F internals.  From what I have seen it affects the feel more and the auditory less with M internals.  I have not tried this on an M personally so I can't account for that. 

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline protoword

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 21:21:16 »
Thank you for this wonderful mod! Like others I realized that too much floss (up to the tip) can mess with the buckle. I snipped it down a wee bit. I then got neurotic about inconsistency across my modification-snips. But I'm trying not to be insane haha. Did it to my alphabet keys + spacebar but I let the others be. I enjoy the twang on my more seldom used keys. This is brilliant—thanks again!