geekhack Community > Keyboards

Leopold keys not working

(1/3) > >>

jcoffin1981:
I have a Leopold fc660M that I spilled coffee on.  Not an entire mug but probably a few large sips.  I cleaned it with alcohol and a day later replaced the switches that were sticking.  A day or two later a few switches were intermittently working. Then the entire home row except for G and H was not working as well as 1 or 2 other switches- backslash and question mark I think.  Maybe tab too.  I can check again if that info is needed. The felt mat had moisture on it that didn't dry when I assembled it and it screwed it up. I screwed up.

Now what's so special about this board?  These are "vintage browns" from 3 years ago and the bump is ever just so slightly detectable.  Almost, but not quite a linear.  It must be this particular lot cuz any other brown is considerably more clicky.  Most people would hate it.  It was my favorite board.  It was also very quiet. I like them so much I want to transfer them to my new Leopold, also with browns. It just seems a little ridiculous to do so- to put them back into the same model board.  I'm using it now.  I have 10 boards and I use like 2 of them.

My knowledge of the layout of the PCB is not enough to fix this.  There could be one little spot of corrosion which could be scraped and soldered.  Or the entire controller could be fudged. Or a short. I do plan on harvesting these  switches anyway, but I would love to just fix it.  Does someone smarter than me know where the problem lies based on my description?  I've manually connected the switch prongs together and wired them to other switches, but could not get them to register in any way.  The problem may not even be visible and I don't know what to look for.  I haven't disassembled it yet, but I'm definitely keeping the switches.  I also didn't clean the underside of the pcb well, but I know there was moisture on the mat so I'm sure that was the problem.

Is it possible to buy the PCB somewhere?  That would be easy.  I can check for open circuits or see if voltage registeres but I don't know where to look.  There are sooo many traces.  The fact that it's the home  row may mean something.  If someone thinks they may be helpful I can desolder all the switches and show both sides of the pcb.  I was hoping one day I'd plug it in and it would work again, but that hasn't happened.  If you can't help thanks for reading my long post anyway.

I hear there are clueboard pcb's that fit the Leopold case?

MarkParkinson:
Leopold presumably gives the highest  quality of mechanical keyboards unlike most  brands. The sound engrossing pads truly helps decreasing noise produced by reverberation inside the keyboard. Strange that u have issue with Leopold product.

SpAmRaY:

--- Quote from: MarkParkinson on Wed, 24 October 2018, 01:28:12 ---Leopold presumably gives the highest  quality of mechanical keyboards unlike most  brands. The sound engrossing pads truly helps decreasing noise produced by reverberation inside the keyboard. Strange that u have issue with Leopold product.

--- End quote ---
Coffee tends to not be compatible with keyboard internals.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jcoffin1981:

--- Quote from: SpAmRaY on Wed, 24 October 2018, 06:33:14 ---
--- Quote from: MarkParkinson on Wed, 24 October 2018, 01:28:12 ---Leopold presumably gives the highest  quality of mechanical keyboards unlike most  brands. The sound engrossing pads truly helps decreasing noise produced by reverberation inside the keyboard. Strange that u have issue with Leopold product.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: SpAmRaY on Wed, 24 October 2018, 06:33:14 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I have arrived at the same conclusion on more than one occasion.

I've decided to replace it.  Clueboard pcb.  I prefer the older caps and switches on the Leopold 66.

por.sds:
I have same problem on my FC980M with coffee as well! The left ctrl was intermittently working at first and completely silence few days after. I tired to swap the switch and still not work. So I sent to a shop who can repair it, he found that some circuit was damaged (checked by multimeter) and fixed by wiring new line and it work great.

Hope this can help you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version