Author Topic: Is Model M Terminal worth restoring?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline hanshan

Is Model M Terminal worth restoring?
« on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 10:58:21 »
Got two of these (single Fn key row - not the 122 key version) and a 1391401 for $20 - need a few keys, key caps etc - all boards could use/need bolt mods & are pretty grimy (though all keys click nicely).   I don't feel like putting in much work unless I can get out of this at least what I put in (sweat equity and $,)  I've checked some online offerings and googled around - they don't seem to be worth much unless in pristine condition?  (ebay has 'em from ~$50 & up to a delusional $199...)

1. Are these worth buying the missing keys (~12 total)?
2. Are the terminal models worth bolt modding? (resale vs. personal use) (both the new acquisition '1401 and one I already have are candidates as well.) Do people actually want these - as opposed to offering them on Ebay?
3. Is it possible/good idea/terrible idea to swap out the barrel and steel plates & install in '1401?  (terminal models seem to be a much heavier build)
4. Do I need another hobby/get a life?

Thx

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Is Model M Terminal worth restoring?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 11:05:45 »
You will not make any money on the terminal unless you sell it as-is for what you paid.

Using the best internals and a bolt mod to make at least one and maybe 2 top-shelf 1391401s is probably a good plan.

Terminals are parts donors as far as I am concerned.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 11:14:20 »
1) yes

2) yes to both. a lot of people are averse to modding their own keyboards, doing it for them is a plus

3) i don't know

4) no, im writing my personal essay for college on my keyboard hobby, so trust me it's fine
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline hanshan

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 12:54:12 »
Thanks - though doubt I could sell the terminals for more than the cost of shipping in present condition (even after cleaned up) - doesn't seem worth the effort (would have to find sources for keys/caps as the graphics seem different from the '1401s, etc.)  One of the 1401s would be for me and the other probably a gift - so I'd be much more willing to devote time to these - read/watched several of the better pieces on modding - without a drill press, the bolt mod seems a better way to go than screw mod?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 13:26:50 »

without a drill press, the bolt mod seems a better way to go than screw mod?

I do the bolt mod because I am a fanatic and I want to take it completely apart and thoroughly clean each piece.

A screw mod is going to be far easier, but anything like an ISO-to-ANSI mod will require it taken all the way down.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hanshan

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 14:06:57 »
I might practice the screw technique on the terminal boards - it does seem easier (notwithstanding phosphor_glow's caution that the drilling be perfect) to see if doing it by hand produces an acceptable result - would do the drilling/screwing in stages - drill, tap and fasten the missing ones to hold the board together, then cut the remaining rivets & repeat (window scraper with single edge razor should work perfectly) - once all the holes are drilled, teardown and rebuild should be easy.

Would this not end up with a comparable result to a bolt mod?

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 21:29:05 »
i have been restoring terminal Ms lately, and I think they are well worth doing. they require a teensy, and some elbow grease, but yeah don't toss them!
I do a screw, and washer modification that is really successful, but I would never try it without a drill press. The area you are drilling through is very thin and you can really make a mess of it if you do it by hand.

-Ezra