Author Topic: Designing my first keeb: Writer60. A keyboard for your Ipad.  (Read 1916 times)

Offline daat.tech

Designing my first keeb: Writer60. A keyboard for your Ipad.
« on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 13:54:30 »
Hello,

My name is Daat and I'm designing my first keeb. I wanted to combine the look of a typewriter with an Ipad holder. This combination (hopefully) results in a modern typewriter, hence Writer60.
The keyboard is made out of stacked 3mm wood and a brassplate. You can some quick renders below, I will make some better ones later in the process.

I already tested the PCB with an Ipad Pro 2017 via USB C - USB A and a dongle, it worked fine :thumb

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know! Feedback is much appreciated!

You can find me in Instagram as well: https://www.instagram.com/daat.builds/

Bye!

UPDATE:
The test kit is assembled and it turned out really well. See photo's!
However the plate is too thick, so I need to do some modifications there to let the pcb fit. After this I'm planning to order other kinds of wood and a brass plate. Maybe I'll do some modifications on the side of th keyboard to pick it up more easy.

Let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 02:49:47 by daat.tech »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: Designing my first keeb: Writer60. A keyboard for your Ipad.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 10:46:09 »
Nice brooooo this is such a cool innovation! I love it!
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 11:44:39 »
This is the same idea as the Qwerkywriter, the Eletron Penna, and the RYMEK.  :thumb:

Offline daat.tech

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 03:48:39 »
but what bout IPAD PRO

The newer ipad pro 12.9 inch models should fit as well, since they are smaller. I ordered a test model of the design, so i'll give an update how everything worked out soon!

Offline shs0913

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 05:55:35 »
I am concerned that the material is wood. If it is not coated properly after processing, it will cause distortion.

But the design and ideas seem so good!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 10:07:59 »
My dad will see this and lunge for the wallet

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 10:29:16 »
I already tested the PCB with an Ipad Pro 2017 via USB C - USB A and a dongle, it worked fine :thumb:
What kind of dongle?

I think it would be nice if the keyboard could be like a dongle: connect to a power supply and provide power for itself and the tablet while the tablet remains data host.
That would require some more electronics than a simple USB-device capable microcontroller though.

Offline daat.tech

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 12:58:31 »
I already tested the PCB with an Ipad Pro 2017 via USB C - USB A and a dongle, it worked fine :thumb:
What kind of dongle?

I think it would be nice if the keyboard could be like a dongle: connect to a power supply and provide power for itself and the tablet while the tablet remains data host.
That would require some more electronics than a simple USB-device capable microcontroller though.

This dongle: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
So in this setup you need to connect dongle to the lighting port (ipad), and the dongle with the keyboard AND power supply. A lot of cables, but if I can keep the usb cable short I think it can be nice. So the keyboard can be charged while docked.

In the future i'll think of betters ways to connect, but for now im more focused on the design

Offline daat.tech

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 13:01:10 »
I am concerned that the material is wood. If it is not coated properly after processing, it will cause distortion.

But the design and ideas seem so good!

Thanks for the tip! I will consider coating the wood. I'm also thinking about other materials, but right now i'm looking for the cheapest solution to test the design.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 13:23:13 »
This dongle: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
So in this setup you need to connect dongle to the lighting port (ipad), and the dongle with the keyboard AND power supply. A lot of cables, but if I can keep the usb cable short I think it can be nice. So the keyboard can be charged while docked.
Ah, so the dongle's captive cable is too short for the dongle to be hidden inside the keyboard?

Offline daat.tech

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 04:49:05 »
Ah, so the dongle's captive cable is too short for the dongle to be hidden inside the keyboard?

Yes, unfortunately