Author Topic: Loud, squeaky sound on my GMMK, is this normal?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline void120

Loud, squeaky sound on my GMMK, is this normal?
« on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 08:30:54 »
Hey,

sorry if I chose the wrong board, feel free to move it.

Background

I've been looking for a second mechanical keyboard as the first I got as a gift (Logitech G413) has chattering problems and I want a better typing experience in general.

I'm looking for tactile switches and TKL layout, RGB would be a nice bonus

I live in Poland and I got SPC Gear GK630K first but I returned it the next day because the metal resonance from the case was audible and "ringy" enough that I couldn't stand it. I've seen someone modding it with a foam but didn't help that much in case of that keyboard.

The problem

Now I got a prebuilt GMMK with Gateron Browns and it's great in general, no audible case resonance this time (as it probably has foam preinstalled)... except that squeaky sound it makes:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/n40jzE2e2wo (romer g from logitech vs gateron brown)

(I know this video is not the best. There is no real point of reference. I just wanted to show the difference between these two keyboards).

It's not that bad when typing normally but if I just press one key repeatedly (which I do very often as I have a keyboard oriented workflow) it makes this annoying squeaky sound which additionally is inconsistent from key to key.

I'm aware of spring ping/leaf ping and that I can reduce it by lubing. However, I've never thought it would be so prominent. So my question is - is this how gateron browns should sound stock? Is this squeaky sound really meant to be so loud that I can still hear it when typing? Do I really have to lube it right away to get a keyboard that sounds acceptable? GMMK sound much better in general than my G413 but that ping ruins everything.

The reason I'm asking this question is that I'm not sure if this is normal and lubing will solve it for sure. I didn't have to do that with my G413 - its ping is not so prominent as that in GMMK, I can't even hear it when typing.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

Re: Loud, squeaky sound on my GMMK, is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 17:49:59 »
this sounds like a REALLY bad case of leaf ping, i experienced this on my SP-Star Dark Magic Girl's a tiny bit but nowhere near as bad as this.
if i am being fully honest i am nowhere near certified to talk about this and no little to nothing about it but i remember some Korean keyboard youtube (i think dbokey) having a tutorial to fix leaf chatter so maybe that might help this although i have no clue.

lube may help slightly but i have not tested out with lubing leaf's affecting leaf ping, i am sorry for not being of much help.
Edit: This is an entirely normal thing with a lot of prebuilt "gaming" keyboards, this happened to me on my old Anne Pro with Gateron Browns too and it sounded more like spring ping than leaf ping if that makes sense? From the video it sounds very identical to the slight leaf ping on my Sp-Stars. Lubing will likely solve it but if you want to save time you can bag lube all of the springs and see if that is enough
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 April 2022, 16:18:55 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Loud, squeaky sound on my GMMK, is this normal?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 April 2022, 12:53:41 »
Spring ping.

Lube the spring ends with some thick grease and coat the coils with (any lube) and it will take the edge off but some springs just ping (some say they are bad but they work fine, just noisily). You won't completely eliminate the noise and it's very likely to return in the future (especially if you use a light lube to coat them like many people do).

If you can, buy some new (nicer) springs, I tend to go for Originative springs stainless springs (made by Sprit). While coated are considered slightly quieter (meh)  I haven't had any problems with the stainless, which are on sale right now.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion