Author Topic: [IC] GMK Scitex (G80-1824 HAU)  (Read 23878 times)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
[IC] GMK Scitex (G80-1824 HAU)
« on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 05:25:40 »

Interest check for GMK Scitex, based on the unique G80-1824 HAU Scitex board! With GMK Nines meeting MOQ, I feel safe to start working on my next project!

Ever since this beauty was introduced to me by Khers, it has been one of the end game goals that I've been striving for. This colorway has been ran before, way back when, and unfortunately did not meet MOQ.
I personally feel that our market is now ready for the toned down and sophisticated look, and that it has a good chance to meet MOQ this time around. I always wanted an N9 replacement for WoB, that stands for style and simplicity, and this is it. ;)

This is my modern take on scitex, with icon mods and simplified legends; combined with in-line unique accent kits. The colors are stock GMK color: N9, CP and N5.

Renders

TKC1800 by thekeycompany, scitex branded (ne collab avail?)

TGR Alice

RAMA M60-A

idb60 by idb keyboards

KBDFans KBD8X MKII

CabelCarDesigns Cypher

The kits

Base

Accents

Render note:
These renders are made by pngu, known from idb keyboards. There are a few imperfections with the legends, but nothing major and I think they look great and present the set in a nice way.
As always with stock colors, there are plenty of color references of past sets using N9, N5 and CP, for you to look at to get a better idea.

Here are some G80-1824 HAU Scitex references:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35672.msg860093#msg860093
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41262.0

MOQ: 150
Pricing: TBD
Vendors: TBD

Emir's laboratory discord for following progress and discussing:
https://discord.gg/MwVTg2E

Thank you, looking forward to your feedback! :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 August 2019, 10:19:03 by Emir »

Offline dexie

Re: [IC] GMK Scitex (G80-1824 HAU)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 05:41:20 »
This is unique! Love how blue numbers stand out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ISO Life

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 07:03:06 »
how about giving more color selection?

Offline zeroisnothing

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 07:18:02 »
Got in on the Nines GB....would get in on this too.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 07:30:57 »
how about giving more color selection?

A color kit, as in the accent one but other colors? 🤔

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 07:35:20 »
ne 1.5u Code key avail?

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 07:56:43 »
GMK Lead times gonna mimic Signature Plastics' if we don't calm down for a minute lol

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 08:02:16 »
GMK Lead times gonna mimic Signature Plastics' if we don't calm down for a minute lol

This isn't planned in the immediate near future, perhaps after nines and all April sets start shipping. 😂

Offline upas

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 09:21:53 »
This set is so close to Nines, I'd prefer if you just released an accent set with the blue legends. I understand you're trying to be accurate to the Scitex colors, but it's too soon for me.

I get the CP color isn't the same as what you used on Nines, but the sets are so close to me they feel redundant. Maybe if you waited a year after Nines, this could be good as a full kit.

But as it stands, I probably wouldn't buy it due to being too close to Nines.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2019, 09:24:18 by upas »

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 09:31:48 »
This set is so close to Nines, I'd prefer if you just released an accent set with the blue legends. I understand you're trying to be accurate to the Scitex colors, but it's too soon for me.

I get the CP color isn't the same as what you used on Nines, but the sets are so close to me they feel redundant. Maybe if you waited a year after Nines, this could be good as a full kit.

I agree with Upas. This just seems like releasing the same set with just a small change. Just release an accent kit for Nines.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 09:37:14 »

Agree

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 10:11:30 »
I love the historical callback. An accent kit would be cool. Or, wait a while, and those of us who bought Nines might come around again.

Now, if you announced GMK Senin, where U9/N9 were color swapped relative to GMK Nines, I'd buy that in a heartbeat right now

Offline txclack

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 10:21:36 »
Can't wait for the N9 and WS1 kit you come up with.

Offline adxlk

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 10:41:15 »
join accent kit and base kit
add some fancy novelties to 'modernize' the set
atleast the people who didnt get gmk nines can get this and be satisfied

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 11:34:20 »
Super stupid question but to me it seems just like white on black... could you clarify?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 11:36:33 »
Super stupid question but to me it seems just like white on black... could you clarify?

Show Image

Not a stupid question.

WoB sets use CR/WS1, this uses N9/CP. So it's more very dark gray & off white.

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 11:38:46 »

Show Image

I Think It's Basically a "Muted" GMK White on Black.  With Cherry Icon Mods and an Accent Kit.  Not quite as PUNCHY Black/White as MD's WoB.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 12:40:58 »
I hear you, it might definitely seem "lazy" on my end to just run the same background color and change the legends - but I want to get sets made that I really want to use myself.

Nines is one, and I believe it definitely has a place on the market as shown by the numbers sold - but I also believe the scitex colorway does.
For me, I never liked CR but I liked the simplicity of WoB, and when I found Scitex I knew that it was the alternative for me. This combined with the classy accents makes it unique to me personally.

The people who know me from Linjär and Nines know that I am not in it for the greed, and wouldn't run something just for the sake of it - I really believe in this.

It might be too soon, maybe not, no plans are set in motion; I am just gauging interest for this as of right now. It might run 2020, might run end of 2019, might not run at all - it all depends on your feedback.
I am very happy to hear both negative, positive and constructive feedback - it helps me out a lot and I appreciate all of you taking time to engage yourself in this set. If there isn't interest, then there isn't - we'll see! :)

For the record, I'd totally buy WS1 on N9. ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2019, 12:51:45 by Emir »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:23:47 »
Why not just run the accent kit?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:46:58 »
Why not just run the accent kit?

This style of accents are unique to Scitex, and in my opinion CP and U9 are not close in color to the point where I could pass Nines as a budget Scitex.
Nines is nines, IMO I wouldn't do either set justice to combine the two - that's how I feel.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 14:39:30 »
it's nice but it's just WoB+ so you might have a struggle with the MOQ

i agree with tex, just run the accent kit on its own so people can combine it at will
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 15:04:07 »

i agree with tex, just run the accent kit on its own so people can combine it at will

Hmm, What do you mean? I guess that'd make sense if it was cr (black), like wob, but this is dark gray (n9).

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 15:05:51 »

Hmm, What do you mean? I guess that'd make sense if it was cr (black), like wob, but this is dark gray (n9).

nines at least has some point to it but running a set that's nearly identical (basically an r2) without information from the first GB seems like too quick of a move

it's a safer move to just offer the accents and let people do with them what they want

plus, it'll be cheaper and you might get more orders because of it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 15:14:57 »

nines at least has some point to it but running a set that's nearly identical (basically an r2) without information from the first GB seems like too quick of a move

it's a safer move to just offer the accents and let people do with them what they want

Ah ok, I see what you mean and it's not a bad idea at all. I quite like it if it weren't for it being so unique to scitex. I want this made down the line, perhaps now is not the time and I agree the timing of this ic is poor in that regard.

It's weird, I've been wanting to do scitex longer than nines, and I think it'd sell more than nines actually (which imo is doing fantastically at over 250 orders right now). As I mentioned it's one of my personal end game goals, I am not quite ready to forget all about it but given the good feedback here, I understand now might not be the time.

Let's see, this is exactly what ics are for! :)

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 16:33:55 »
Imo Compaq G80-1838 > Scitex G80-1824
The weird 2-2(1800 nav)-2-2-3-4-4 row thing rackmount Compaq boards have is surpisingly comfortable in use, and makes the nav block on the 1800 look less chunky
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2019, 16:57:45 by Rayndalf »

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 05:20:30 »
This beautiful! It must happen! The G80-1824 is one of the most beautiful keyboards Cherry ever made (imagine a Scitex 5k...), mostly due to the keyset on there. Don't let the negativity spoil your day, Scitex is perfection.

To those claiming Scitex is too close to Nines: Have you seen U9 next to CP? It's not the same colour; it's not even very close. have a look for yourselves:

I do agree that the look of the set is a little similar - the fact that Nines looks a little like Scitex is exactly why I bought into it - but claiming this one is too similar to be run and that this is a blatant effort at milking the community is quite blunt, failing to appreciate the finer details. Like the fact that creme white is not beige.

Offline EnjoyMyInSec

• 60% or bust
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 06:36:09 »
Actually I like this set a lot, having Icon mods for WoB is a big yes for me.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 06:38:05 »
Actually I like this set a lot, having Icon mods for WoB is a big yes for me.
No Purse Lock and the nicer Backspace icon for 1.5u? +1

I also like this set fwiw. I should point out that this is N9 base and not WoB.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 07:50:22 »
I can't see why this is close to nines.. Nines is a different set. Just bc Scitex uses N9 for base as well. Scitex with CP on N9 + the accents gives you a complete different look and feel compared to the U9 colored legends on Nines :)

Nice work Emir :thumb:

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 09:52:19 »
This is nice colorway.  It deserves to GB at some point.
It bears resemblance to WoB or Nines though.
Funny the render here looks black where Nines render looks grey.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 10:14:06 »
I dig it.
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 11:37:43 »
Will probably run successfully in a year or so.

ne colevrak support?

Offline upas

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 14:00:05 »
Will probably run successfully in a year or so.

ne colevrak support?

I agree, if you waited till like Jan 2020, I'd probably buy. It's different from nines, but still too similar for me to justify buying it soon.

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 22:42:54 »

Ah ok, I see what you mean and it's not a bad idea at all. I quite like it if it weren't for it being so unique to scitex. I want this made down the line, perhaps now is not the time and I agree the timing of this ic is poor in that regard.

It's weird, I've been wanting to do scitex longer than nines, and I think it'd sell more than nines actually (which imo is doing fantastically at over 250 orders right now). As I mentioned it's one of my personal end game goals, I am not quite ready to forget all about it but given the good feedback here, I understand now might not be the time.

If this is older than Nines, why didn’t you just do this instead of Nines? It would have hit the same mark for everyone who bought Nines, especially if they had never even seen Nines to compare it to.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 23:23:45 »

If this is older than Nines, why didn’t you just do this instead of Nines? It would have hit the same mark for everyone who bought Nines, especially if they had never even seen Nines to compare it to.

Hmm, not sure I understand what you mean. Do you do everything in a linear fashion? From idea to execution? :) I can see what you're getting at and it makes sense from a certain viewpoint, but as I mentioned, to me they're not the same and to me there's a place for both of them on the market. Did you buy nines and feel cheated? If so, please appreciate nines for being nines, that was never my intention.

I'd also like to thank everyone for the kind words and all feedback in general, it's motivating! ❤️

Offline Rogue_Jellybean

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 00:36:56 »
While I like the concept of the set, and I much prefer it over Nines. I still feel it's pretty stupid to have an IC for this while Nines is still in the GB phase.

For more constructive feedback, any chance for non-accented F-row and have the accented F-row in the accent kit? Or have the non accented F-row in the accent kit, I don't particularly see myself using the blue F-row. I'd pick this up for a grey board if it were a good price point.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 00:54:21 »
Emir, would you be willing to do an R5 bottom row?

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 03:30:53 »
While I like the concept of the set, and I much prefer it over Nines. I still feel it's pretty stupid to have an IC for this while Nines is still in the GB phase.

For more constructive feedback, any chance for non-accented F-row and have the accented F-row in the accent kit? Or have the non accented F-row in the accent kit, I don't particularly see myself using the blue F-row. I'd pick this up for a grey board if it were a good price point.

Good idea, I might look into adding F1-F8 in CP legends in the accent kit - I'd like to keep the N5 legends in the base just because it is what makes Scitex unique in my eyes. It depends on what the quote will look like, I can't tell you right now - but I'd like to add it.

Emir, would you be willing to do an R5 bottom row?

I've never felt R5 actually, not sure - it is a good point of discussion!  :thumb:

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 09:20:00 »
Nice, Emir.  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 09:33:46 »
I'll be in when it runs. Love the colors in this one.

Offline Cloudz

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 09:28:38 »
This is the exact kind of set I wanted. I'll be in this gb for sure if it happens  :thumb:

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 00:40:23 »
I know it's a bit off theme, but is there any  chance for a couple L9 accents?

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 02:04:37 »
Very interested. Will probably get 2 sets when GB is live.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 03:54:51 »
Personally I would prefer if GMK does not get bogged down with producing similar-looking sets, leading to SA-like lead times for little gain and even potentially creating GMK GB fatigue.

But meh, what can I do about it? GB runners are just gonna keep running :/

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:02:22 »
Personally I would prefer if GMK does not get bogged down with producing similar-looking sets, leading to SA-like lead times for little gain and even potentially creating GMK GB fatigue.

+1

This feels like a waste of a GMK production spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:06:33 »

+1

How is it a waste if there's a demand for it?
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:10:55 »

+1

How is it a waste if there's a demand for it?

I have no desire to engage in this discussion, but there’s 47 total comments and it looks like a third are questioning the colors/gb, so I would say you’re using the word “demand” very loosely.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:25:42 »
I have no desire to engage in this discussion, but there’s 47 total comments and it looks like a third are questioning the colors/gb, so I would say you’re using the word “demand” very loosely.

Original quote says producing similar looking set is waste of GMK production time. If this set, or any other set, goes into production, that means it must have hit MOQ so "demand". I'm just not getting the sentiment here. No production is waste of GMK time regardless of how similar they look. It might seem similar to you but I'm not a fan of the other set at all.

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:28:03 »

Original quote says producing similar looking set is waste of GMK production time. If this set, or any other set, goes into production, that means it must have hit MOQ so "demand". I'm just not getting the sentiment here. No production is waste of GMK time regardless of how similar they look. It might seem similar to you but I'm not a fan of the other set at all.

It’s ok, we can agree to disagree