Author Topic: The best solder sucker/desoldering pump I've ever used  (Read 30605 times)

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
The best solder sucker/desoldering pump I've ever used
« on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 01:22:07 »
Here is an amazon link. Those $4 Blue ones were ****. This thing has a silicon tip and creates a seal that will pick up huge globs of solder. The replacement tips are hard to come by, only being able to find them here. Same place that sells those RPis.

Offline jaffers

Re: The best solder sucker/desoldering pump I've ever used
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 01:23:21 »
Can confirm, very good solder sucker

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 01:56:50 »
I desoldered 5 boards last week using one of these little guys, really effective but the spring is really heavy.

Thanks for the link to replacement tips. Lifesaver.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2016, 02:01:40 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 02:00:54 »
I desoldered 5 boards last week using one of these little guys, really effective but the spring is really heavy.

Thanks for the link to replacement tips. Lifesaver.

Here to help! :thumb:

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 11:42:40 »
I had pretty good luck with an el cheapo one after I coated its interior with a light spray lubricant, so if you ain't got the cash for an expensive one that's something else to try.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 11:54:29 »
How good are the soldering irons that has a pump for desoldering integrated?

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 12:05:20 »
Way better. A lot of people swear by their desoldering irons.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 12:23:45 »

I became discourage to try desoldering because my sucker, guess what, sucks, I will try to get one of those desoldering irons.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 12:32:15 »
I became discourage to try desoldering because my sucker, guess what, sucks, I will try to get one of those desoldering irons.
They come at quite the price for a good one. The one I'm buying is $300US; the Hakko FR-300.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 13:50:27 »

Which pump did you use?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 14:01:02 »
If my "crappy" blue solder sucker ever craps out, I will look into replacing it with this one (though my current crappy has served me very well for a long time).
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 14:36:21 »
If my "crappy" blue solder sucker ever craps out, I will look into replacing it with this one (though my current crappy has served me very well for a long time).

You should be very skillful, I cannot get even one switch off of my PCBs with my crappy sucker.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 22:14:19 »
What do you all think about this portion of a review:

"Every other suck or so you need to eject what molten solder was sucked into the device. About 90 percent of the time it gets stuck inside the soft silicone-like tip. You wind up literally unclogging the device than desoldering. Now my other device was about 20% of the cost of this item and works better. It is the LyonsBlue solder sucker and can be purchased for about 5 dollars and it comes highly rated."

Nonsense or not?

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 00:10:42 »

"Every other suck or so you need to eject what molten solder was sucked into the device. About 90 percent of the time it gets stuck inside the soft silicone-like tip. You wind up literally unclogging the device than desoldering. Now my other device was about 20% of the cost of this item and works better. It is the LyonsBlue solder sucker and can be purchased for about 5 dollars and it comes highly rated."

Nonsense or not?

I would agree with most of that, and the 'LyonsBlue' model is just a rebranded $2 version from eBay. I bought 5 of them and so far, only one has broke through desoldering 6 Alps keyboards.

If anyone has desoldered an Alps keyboard they know the pain of seeing so many pins soldered in AFTER being bent flush to the PCB. That is where the silicon tip really shines and the China models are held back by the reduced suction and plastic tip.

Bottom line is that its amazing for SMD or other tricky jobs, but the spring is too heavy (fatiguing) and clogs too easily for doing entire boards. China solder suckers work alright for most tasks (Cherry boards), but I end up needing the Engineer at some point.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 01:33:10 »

Nonsense or not?

I would agree with most of that, and the 'LyonsBlue' model is just a rebranded $2 version from eBay. I bought 5 of them and so far, only one has broke through desoldering 6 Alps keyboards.

If anyone has desoldered an Alps keyboard they know the pain of seeing so many pins soldered in AFTER being bent flush to the PCB. That is where the silicon tip really shines and the China models are held back by the reduced suction and plastic tip.

Bottom line is that its amazing for SMD or other tricky jobs, but the spring is too heavy (fatiguing) and clogs too easily for doing entire boards. China solder suckers work alright for most tasks (Cherry boards), but I end up needing the Engineer at some point.

I have to admit the spring is pretty stiff... But in this situation I definitely prefer function over form. I wonder if there was a way to mod it with a lighter spring? I have a feeling that it would hinder the performance of the tool.

Offline Ashlyn

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 17:09:27 »
Hi , is this better than AOYUE Desolder gun ?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 18:02:57 »

Is that you in the picture?  :-*

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 September 2016, 18:13:05 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 18:23:06 »
 :)) :)) :))

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 18:43:38 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 18:58:35 »

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 19:01:35 »
I have the same pump, it's good at sucking but do you guys find the silicon make the solder tin stuck on the way out during pumping? or it's only mine and I have to replace the silicon
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 13:18:10 »
The build quality on this pump is really good, but in use it's probably not as convenient as an Edsyn pump.

Desoldering pumps are usually better, but each has its own problems. Cheap desoldering pumps can get clogged near the intake.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 01:33:13 »
I've used a few hand pumps, and have a real Edsyn for a backup. No hand pump can come close to my Hakko 808 though, it's been such a huge boon for my repair work.  Hakko has spare parts for everything, even a complete housing is only $26usd (I broke mine).  If the exchange rate didn't suck so bad right now I would have upgraded to the new FR-300 gun, but it's literally double what I paid for my 808 a few years ago.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 02:50:48 »
I've used a few hand pumps, and have a real Edsyn for a backup. No hand pump can come close to my Hakko 808 though, it's been such a huge boon for my repair work.  Hakko has spare parts for everything, even a complete housing is only $26usd (I broke mine).  If the exchange rate didn't suck so bad right now I would have upgraded to the new FR-300 gun, but it's literally double what I paid for my 808 a few years ago.

If I had $265 or 1000 pounds ( :)) :p) i would buy it.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 07:19:34 »
I prefer a 25 dollar desoldering iron than a pump. Much better bang for the buck

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 07:23:12 »
I had looked at an Aoyue but decided on the Hakko FR-300 due to longevity. I'm still currently using a soldapult/solder sucker, but look forward to the desoldering iron for the amount of custom work I do at home.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 07:30:00 »
Here is an amazon link. Those $4 Blue ones were ****. This thing has a silicon tip and creates a seal that will pick up huge globs of solder. The replacement tips are hard to come by, only being able to find them here. Same place that sells those RPis.

Just a  few questions though, how well does the silicon tip hold up to the heat? Can you firmly place it to the soldering iron to make a seal? What has been the max temperature you have used it at?

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 07:57:06 »

Just a  few questions though, how well does the silicon tip hold up to the heat? Can you firmly place it to the soldering iron to make a seal? What has been the max temperature you have used it at?

I've desoldered 2 or 3 full boards plus various other things here and there with the iron up to 5-600+ with absolutely no issues.  The tip does tend to get plugged from time to time but a small pin or paper clip cleans it right out.

I'm glad I spend the extra $ and got one of these myself.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 15:41:08 »

Just for kicks i heald it to flame for 30 sec no issues. Soldering iron has no issues with mealting. Occasionally have to clean out the tip. Stabilzer wire works perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 17:36:52 »
I bought an S-993A from China, it was ok for removing switches from one keyboard that I took the switches off, but now I think the hole in the tip has enlarged (you have to kind of spin the wire in the tip to get the heat to transfer after you've sucked most of the solder up - if there's not a lot of solder left holding the pin in to transfer the heat), so now it doesn't work so great. Might be ok with a new tip though.

Usually if I only need to remove one thing, I can't be bothered to plug it in and set it up. Tbh I'd almost forgotten that I bought it, with all the Chinese crap lying around my place!

I was hoping it'd be better, but it's not terrible...

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 23:35:11 »
I had looked at an Aoyue but decided on the Hakko FR-300 due to longevity. I'm still currently using a soldapult/solder sucker, but look forward to the desoldering iron for the amount of custom work I do at home.

Prepare yourself, you're going to question your previous life choices.  The Aoyue can take it's base unit and fly out the window, you made the better call and you're going to wonder how you went so long without it. Don't dwell on your past, enjoy your future.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 18:37:02 »
Kind of unrelated, but using a desoldering braid is fine too right?

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 19:07:16 »
Kind of unrelated, but using a desoldering braid is fine too right?
Doesn't work well for through hole components.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline turkey

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 11:14:05 »
How about this kind of device, advertised as a desoldering pump, but shown to be used with rubber suction pads to hold on to tiny ICs (presumably for soldering and such)? Would they work for true desoldering, i. e., without the rubber suction pads attached, or would that just be a waste of time?

232416-0

— turkey

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 11:54:18 »
How about this kind of device, advertised as a desoldering pump, but shown to be used with rubber suction pads to hold on to tiny ICs (presumably for soldering and such)? Would they work for true desoldering, i. e., without the rubber suction pads attached, or would that just be a waste of time?

(Attachment Link)

— turkey

Wow, this is deep cut necro! I guess at least it's an informative one, LOL! I think it would be just be a waste of time & money to try to use that thing especially without the rubber pad. As far as I can tell it's made to just hold SMD components while being soldered/desoldered, not actually suck solder. If you tried to, with or without the rubber pad, I think it would just end up clogging & probably permanently considering the tip is metal. IME the best cheap desoldering solution is a combo of a cheap desoldering iron like this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IJSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, flux, & solder wick.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2019, 11:56:28 by Rob27shred »