Author Topic: [IC] GMK Bentō (GB live!)  (Read 93980 times)

Offline MikeTheTiger

Re: [IC] GMK Bentō
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 15:40:41 »

a price difference of +/- $20-30 is easier to swallow for compatabilities sake
This is very subjective. An extra $20-30 on top of the base kit is not easy to swallow for a lot of people, especially since biip already mentioned prices would be around GMK Camping which I remember to be quite high for a GMK set. There's a reason why people keep 40's and ergo as separate kit. Those who would want extra coverage can get those together with some of the blanks. I'm sure if you got no problem swallowing the extra $20-30 like you said then spending a few more for your 40's kit shouldn't be a stretch as well :thumb: Remember its not just you who has to pay for those keys, but you are asking the majority of the user base who don't own a Van to pay for your coverage.

Wow, what’s your problem? This is an interest check, so it’s the time we give feedback to help the set along. In the same vein, why should be stomach the cost to outfit your numpad to cover a 60% board. That’s the logic you’re presenting here. And nobody mentioned a “Van”. Also, aren’t you the same person who sent me a racist pm a while back??

Personally I'd rather not pay an extra $30 just because a small group of users using a niche layout want their keys accepted in a buy that's geared towards more standard keyboards.

$30 was a hypothetical number. I just used that to help compare pricing to other profiles. Whether or not keys get added or taken away, wont sway me from supporting this keyset. Biip does amazing work and of course this is an IC.

Offline ns90

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 16:17:00 »
In the same vein, why should be stomach the cost to outfit your numpad to cover a 60% board. That’s the logic you’re presenting here.

Because a Full Size keyboard is (generally) a more standard and ubiquitous form factor than 40%, which is uncommon, and lacks a core standard.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 16:35:05 »
In the same vein, why should be stomach the cost to outfit your numpad to cover a 60% board. That’s the logic you’re presenting here.

Because a Full Size keyboard is (generally) a more standard and ubiquitous form factor than 40%, which is uncommon, and lacks a core standard.

I was originally referring to ortho, which is hardly niche in our niche hobby. Plus I run a full sized keyboard most of the time.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 19:50:04 »
Ughhhh this is gorgeous. So many must buy sets :eek: :thumb:

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 21:33:37 »

This is very subjective. An extra $20-30 on top of the base kit is not easy to swallow for a lot of people, especially since biip already mentioned prices would be around GMK Camping which I remember to be quite high for a GMK set. There's a reason why people keep 40's and ergo as separate kit. Those who would want extra coverage can get those together with some of the blanks. I'm sure if you got no problem swallowing the extra $20-30 like you said then spending a few more for your 40's kit shouldn't be a stretch as well :thumb: Remember its not just you who has to pay for those keys, but you are asking the majority of the user base who don't own a Van to pay for your coverage.

Wow, what’s your problem? This is an interest check, so it’s the time we give feedback to help the set along. In the same vein, why should be stomach the cost to outfit your numpad to cover a 60% board. That’s the logic you’re presenting here. And nobody mentioned a “Van”. Also, aren’t you the same person who sent me a racist pm a while back??

Personally I'd rather not pay an extra $30 just because a small group of users using a niche layout want their keys accepted in a buy that's geared towards more standard keyboards.

^+1 This all the way.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 21:39:30 »
^+1 Definitely this all the way.  :-*

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 21:43:59 »

Because full size layout is a lot more widely used and considered standard layout more so than a 40%. Does it get old trashing on zambumon's and tomberry's thread and now biip's just so they feel the pressure that they have to bump the cost up to cover for your 40%? Are you gonna drag biip out over to Massdrop again and whine about it like what you did to Zambumon? And don't get triggered so easily dude. I'm just stating my opinion. You don't need to ask me what my problem was. Just calm the tits down yo ;)

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 21:54:34 »

Because full size layout is a lot more widely used and considered standard layout more so than a 40%. Does it get old trashing on zambumon's and tomberry's thread and now biip's just so they feel the pressure that they have to bump the cost up to cover for your 40%? Are you gonna drag biip out over to Massdrop again and whine about it like what you did to Zambumon? And don't get triggered so easily dude. I'm just stating my opinion. You don't need to ask me what my problem was. Just calm the tits down yo ;)

Perfectly calm over here. I love what Biip creates. You’re the one getting salty about it. You wanna call me the “n” word again?

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 22:01:15 »

Perfectly calm over here. I love what Biip creates. You’re the one getting salty about it. You wanna call me the “n” word again?

You are drifting off track buddy. Please respect biip and keep your discussion related to the keyset on this thread. Just a friendly reminder. Sigh  ;D

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 22:06:17 »

You are drifting off track buddy. Please respect biip and keep your discussion related to the keyset on this thread. Just a friendly reminder. Sigh  ;D

I’m fine here “buddy”. As this is an IC and biip wanted feedback, I simply provided some. It was nice to get ganged up on because you don’t agree with what I had to say. But that’s the way this community seems to be these days. With that said I continue to give biip my support and nothing I said was meant with any disrespect to biip. I can’t wait to see how this set flourishes.

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 22:11:25 »

I’m fine here “buddy”. As this is an IC and biip wanted feedback, I simply provided some. It was nice to get ganged up on because you don’t agree with what I had to say. But that’s the way this community seems to be these days. With that said I continue to give biip my support and nothing I said was meant with any disrespect to biip. I can’t wait to see how this set flourishes.
Glad everything finally makes sense to you so that you could see it that way.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 00:37:05 »
Whoa whoa, let's calm down guys.

Let's not turn this IC into a cluster**** of tasteless quotes.

On that note,

This would look real good on the sakura kyuu

I think that's what I'll plan on doing for my Rose Gold:Sakura Kyuu, but I don't wanna buy any more sets LOL.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 02:41:53 »
If you guys have differing opinions I invite you to discuss it by PMs. Thanks.
I totally get that you can have different points of view but please, stay calm!

That being said, I appreciate any feedback. And I thanks everyone for that :thumb:
Such kind regards over here, I appreciate :)

As I said, I wanted to make a simple kit which would only cover standard layouts (sorry to disappoint 40%, ergo and the others).
In the current state of things, the base kit is good enough (for most of the common layouts IMO), and indeed, making it more expensive for a minority won't be a smart move I think sadly. I could still consider an ergo/40 kit if there is enough interest tho.

I put the novelties in the base kit because that's what makes the set interesting IMO, and I don't want to take the risk of not reaching MOQ on a Novelties kit.

Offline Audiobs

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 15:17:16 »

That being said, I appreciate any feedback. And I thanks everyone for that :thumb:

As I said, I wanted to make a simple kit which would only cover standard layouts (sorry to disappoint 40%, ergo and the others).
In the current state of things, the base kit is good enough (for most of the common layouts IMO), and indeed, making it more expensive for a minority won't be a smart move I think sadly. I could still consider an ergo/40 kit if there is enough interest tho.

I put the novelties in the base kit because that's what makes the set interesting IMO, and I don't want to take the risk of not reaching MOQ on a Novelties kit.

Yea guys, fight when the actual pricing is out. :)

This set is gorgeous and suddenly I am not interested in other GMK GBs, so thank you!!

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 15:51:47 »
I really want this but it doesn't match anything I own or anything I have coming- I feel like it would only really work on bluish-gray or white boards. Maybe silver.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 16:04:08 »

Understandable.  I think what people don't get is the fact that when you choose a different layout, designers are under no constraints to support all of those layouts.  It's a chance that you take.  I'd love it if designers started to make numpads a separate set as I never use those.  But I understand that the vast majority of possible buyers are using full keyboards.  Including that might make it easy for some gateway buyers to get into the hobby.  The hobby is already niche, so a niche within a niche is going to have a rough time of it.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 16:12:26 »

Understandable.  I think what people don't get is the fact that when you choose a different layout, designers are under no constraints to support all of those layouts.  It's a chance that you take.  I'd love it if designers started to make numpads a separate set as I never use those.  But I understand that the vast majority of possible buyers are using full keyboards.  Including that might make it easy for some gateway buyers to get into the hobby.  The hobby is already niche, so a niche within a niche is going to have a rough time of it.

Well said.  :thumb:  Unfortunately GMK sets are usually geared towards full sized boards. The smaller child kits always have a tough time hitting MoQ. With that said, I'm building my Espectro as I type this. I can wait to see Bento on it. For now, I have an unopened Laser set going on the board tonight.

Offline Volsairine

• hedonist
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 18:38:12 »
SO CUTEEE

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline kolyz

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 22:11:29 »
I absolutely love this set. Really hoping that it reaches group buy stage!

Offline digid3ar

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 00:50:55 »
dont limit yourself to a layout, let the keycaps guide you  ;) . i would build a 60% only for this set

Offline biograf

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 14:37:24 »
I would buy this in a second if it had enough to Cover a Planck - both grid and MIT layouts.

I know people using standard boards don't want it, but I think you should really consider ortho support.

Also, I would love the Kobe kit.

Offline dimo

[IC] GMK Bentō
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 16:53:34 »
This’ll prolly look good on a Lake m60-a

too bad the koyu doesn’t have that color option
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 October 2018, 01:30:07 by dimo »

Offline dimo

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 16:56:24 »
What’s the alpha color? How “pure white” is it?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 18:19:28 »
What’s the alpha color? How “pure white” is it?

Cream. I'll probably go for the WS4 color (like Camping).

Offline dimo

[IC] GMK Bentō
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 01:29:53 »
Is there room to change the novelty keys? I’ve seen a lot of disapproval of a couple of them (and some great ideas for new ones).

tonight’s top clack reinforced that as well
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 October 2018, 01:31:39 by dimo »

Offline iammeuru

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 02:37:10 »
daaang i dont really like sub legends but this is beautiful.
I couldn't agree more... I love these colors, but I refuse to buy any keycap set with sub legends... Needs a standard alphas set to get my buy. Sub legends should be their own sub-set IMO.

Offline dimo

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 02:41:35 »
Disagree, sublegends make this set. Adds something extra to an otherwise plain two color scheme. And it fits the theme :)

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 03:20:02 »
Is there room to change the novelty keys? I’ve seen a lot of disapproval of a couple of them (and some great ideas for new ones).

tonight’s top clack reinforced that as well

Well, have to admit that the Return novelty is kinda busy, i will definitively rework it.
However, I did not receive may bad reviews about the novelties (with like more than 300 responses on the poll), so I'm actually a bit surprised.

On the other ones, I could try to actually make meals (like sashimis, makis, and stuff) but I really liked the fact of having something simple, abstract, and geometrical. I didn't want to fall into that cliché of making a bowl of rice, a sushi, a Japanese flag or whatever. I think that the novelties are currently matching to each other pretty well.

Let me know what do you think about em. I can totally rework the novelties!
I still have some leftovers novelties I didn't use for this set ;)

daaang i dont really like sub legends but this is beautiful.
I couldn't agree more... I love these colors, but I refuse to buy any keycap set with sub legends... Needs a standard alphas set to get my buy. Sub legends should be their own sub-set IMO.

If one set needs Hiraganas sub-legends, that's the one IMO

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 06:09:22 »
Agree. I'm usually not a big fan of weeb legends, but lets be real, some sets do actually look better with it. It adds a level of originality to the set if the theme is right, and I think you just did a wonderful job in that department my friend. Would love to see you keeping it. The enter novelty looks fine to me, maybe a little bit clustered, but other than that I love the symbolic approach. Very very nice work overall!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 October 2018, 06:11:43 by otanishock »

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 09:47:50 »
I think you've done a great job with the novelties, so I would completely defer to you and trust your aesthetic. If you have other ideas though, would love to see 'em!

What's with the up and down arrow keys being aligned at the top of the cap and left, rather than center (like all the other blue / red keycaps)?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 10:11:44 »
I think you've done a great job with the novelties, so I would completely defer to you and trust your aesthetic. If you have other ideas though, would love to see 'em!

What's with the up and down arrow keys being aligned at the top of the cap and left, rather than center (like all the other blue / red keycaps)?

Agree. I'm usually not a big fan of weeb legends, but lets be real, some sets do actually look better with it. It adds a level of originality to the set if the theme is right, and I think you just did a wonderful job in that department my friend. Would love to see you keeping it. The enter novelty looks fine to me, maybe a little bit clustered, but other than that I love the symbolic approach. Very very nice work overall!  :thumb:

Thanks for these sweet words :)

I just asked, and apparently, Cherry modifiers legends are left-center aligned while the up and down arrows are top-left aligned.

Offline dimo

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 10:18:57 »
thoughts on icon mods?

also, little heatwaves or chopsticks for arrowkeys could be cool (:

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 05:14:57 »
thoughts on icon mods?

also, little heatwaves or chopsticks for arrowkeys could be cool (:

I actually made arrows novelties but the more novelties I have in the set the more expensive it will be.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 07:53:08 »
Not really a fan of the novelties, but the rest of the set is :-* :-* :-*

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 14:18:07 »
FFS... I know I really shouldn't, and I keep dragging myself away from spending this much on keysets. Stuff like this keeps dragging me back.... sigh
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 19:14:18 »

Same here.  I'd like if the novelties could be broken out into its own set - I don't really do novelties.  But understand if not.

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 19:53:33 »

Same here.  I'd like if the novelties could be broken out into its own set - I don't really do novelties.  But understand if not.

I actually would rather prefer to have the novelties to be included in the base kit. When I look at pretty much all those past sales, the sale numbers for novelties kit are almost always close to or on par with the base, so I think most people would get the combo of 1  base-1 novelties, and so it would naturally make sense to have those included together to drive down the price I think.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 21:18:01 »

I actually would rather prefer to have the novelties to be included in the base kit. When I look at pretty much all those past sales, the sale numbers for novelties kit are almost always close to or on par with the base, so I think most people would get the combo of 1  base-1 novelties, and so it would naturally make sense to have those included together to drive down the price I think.

I strongly agree.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 21:50:59 »

How would it inconvenience you to have it broken out if as you say, it is going to reach MOQ anyway?
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 October 2018, 09:55:55 by chuckdee »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 23:21:23 »
Really like all the ICs that are using these alphas lately, can do some mix n matching if they get made :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 00:19:58 »
Pricing. Especially for GMK. A big kit will always be a lot cheaper than 2 smaller kits.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 October 2018, 00:21:30 by bdkrzy »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 01:25:17 »
Pricing. Especially for GMK. A big kit will always be a lot cheaper than 2 smaller kits.

Is it that much of a difference at that level?  I've seen with and without, and it's not that much different, depending on how many keys.  $165-$175 vs $145 & $20s-$30s for this number of novelties, I'd think.  And the higher price might scare off some that really don't want novelties at that price.  It's a tradeoff like everything else, I'd think.

Offline airlangga07

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 21:31:50 »
Cant wait for this set to go live! Goodluck with the Groupbuy!

Offline AaronR

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 00:15:37 »
Icon mods as a child kit. A lot of people like the set how it is so that shouldn’t change.

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 08:23:38 »
This look dope! I may be in if I have money at the time it goes to GB :p

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 14:05:24 »
I would like an option for more novelties. I love the current simplistic theme you are going with, but having more options for different rows, etc would be a welcome change. Even if it got to the point where you had to split base/novelties.

However I would still buy it as is. Great colorway. Trying to figure out what case color works best with it though. A light grey perhaps?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 03:52:03 »
Thanks guys! I appreciate a lot all this enthusiasm ;D

Icon mods as a child kit. A lot of people like the set how it is so that shouldn’t change.

Do you mean, Cherry + text legends Icons in a separate kit? Or Cherry Icons (Icon only) in a separate kit?
Also like I said, I think Icon + text modifiers fit the aesthetic of the alphas better (since it has regular alpha + Hiragana sub legend)

I would like an option for more novelties. I love the current simplistic theme you are going with, but having more options for different rows, etc would be a welcome change. Even if it got to the point where you had to split base/novelties.

However I would still buy it as is. Great colorway. Trying to figure out what case color works best with it though. A light grey perhaps?

Well, I could ask for a quote for a 12-15 novelties pack. I initially made custom arrows and other 'meals' 🤔

For the case IMO, dark blue, light cream or 'cold' light silver. Just avoid vivid colors.

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 06:13:28 »
Excited. Any timeline biip? Is it going to be drop before the end of this year?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 06:28:08 »
Excited. Any timeline biip? Is it going to be drop before the end of this year?

I want to run it on Q1 2019, so I have time to make everything perfect. I’m actually working on deskmats, artisan keycaps and some other interesting stuff ;)

Also, Candykeys and Novelkeys confirmed to be proxies.
I’m waiting the quote from GMK but they already told me that Q1 2019 sounds good (leadtime 12-14 weeks after order).

Offline AaronR

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 06:31:30 »
Cherry icons (icons only) as a seperate kit. Like Gmk burgundy r2. Do understand cost will be on the high side. It’s just an idea.