Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 218584 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 21:12:24 »

All this talk about bicycles..

I just went and dug out the bike I got at sears when I was 14..

It's supposed to be a mountain bike.. But honestly, It's not, cuz it's heavy as ****..

It was like $120 assembled.. so.. yea......

Rear Breaks are shot.. the spring's weak, and no good.

Replacement brakes cost $20.00,  are these people insane..Fffffffff

Unfortunately any bike that is $120 assembled will be rather heavy and low quality. You could definitely fix it yourself if you are determined.. Youtube has a lot of good videos that can teach you how to tune a brake. Then you just need to pay for the parts!  :) :) :)

I'm well aware my bike is crummy.. I took the brake assembly apart. put some lube between each moving part. It seems to be working now. but still not great..

I could get a whole stationary bike for like $25..  Or new brake assembly for $20...

LOL..  tough choice..

Did you try putting lube between the brake pads and the actual braking surface?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 21:31:14 »

It's supposed to be a mountain bike.. But honestly, It's not, cuz it's heavy as ****..

Unfortunately any bike that is $120 assembled will be rather heavy and low quality. You could definitely fix it yourself if you are determined.. Youtube has a lot of good videos that can teach you how to tune a brake. Then you just need to pay for the parts!  :) :) :)

I'm well aware my bike is crummy.. I took the brake assembly apart. put some lube between each moving part. It seems to be working now. but still not great..

I could get a whole stationary bike for like $25..  Or new brake assembly for $20...

LOL..  tough choice..

Hopefully not. That is a bad idea! You want to keep the rim clean of any oils or contaminants. Oil will ruin the brake pads.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 21:36:29 »

LOL..  tough choice..

Hopefully not. That is a bad idea! You want to keep the rim clean of any oils or contaminants. Oil will ruin the brake pads.

Come-on guys.. I'm not THAT noob..

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:59:53 »
Will have to get a pic of mine posted in the next couple days.  But here is what mine started as.

2002 Kona Roast in that burnt orange color.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?150883-SOLD-2002-Kona-Roast

Not my bike but same color.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 02:26:45 »
Yesterday, I got my shoelace stuck in the pedal, so I had to stop... and I fell. Took the fall with my hands, and now I have an ache in my left forearm whenever I move. Not that bad though, so I'm not going to seek care until Monday if it still persists by then.

Gah... I never thought I could get my shoelaces wound around the pedals like that. I've got to be more careful...
I had got the laces from a military bag so that I would have strong laces that wouldn't break so easily, but I  experienced the downside to that decision ...

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 02:48:04 »
bought an old bike from the beginning of the 80s, converted to single speed and fixed it up, have since the picture accuired more rust and new brakes :)

The bikelooks dope.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 05:00:30 »

LOL..  tough choice..

Show Image

Come-on guys.. I'm not THAT noob..

I was just testing you ;)

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:52:21 »
Can you save a lot buying used? Or do bike hold their value pretty well?

I was poking around on pinkbike.com and all the medium 29ers go for quite a bit. Seems like just buying new might be the way to go? I'm not really sure how much you save going used.

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/mountain/trail-hardtails/trail-sl-29/trail-sl-29-ss

And how much of a markup is there on stuff like this? Like what would a good deal be? And is it better to find a model year earlier, and would I save that much?

I think when I got mine it was a model year earlier and saved a bit, I think it was around $1100 or so when I bought it early 2006, or maybe it was 2005, cant remember.

Hmm just found this, decent tool?

http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchBikes.aspx

« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:53:56 by Psybin »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:58:32 »
I own an awesome carbon fiber headphone stand!

Can it do wheelies?
It can, but not I. Or ride without holding on to the handle bars :(
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dante

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 12:14:28 »
I have a '04/'05 Rans Tailwind recumbent that I'm going to dust off and put on Craigslist this year.

Next year I'd like to get a folding Catrike.

I can't go back to upright/diamond frame bicycles - they are too uncomfortable.

When I had owned upright bicycles I tried pretty much every saddle you can think of - even the Brooks; but couldn't last more than a couple miles.  On a recumbent?  30+ miles EASY.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 21:48:19 »

I was poking around on pinkbike.com and all the medium 29ers go for quite a bit. Seems like just buying new might be the way to go? I'm not really sure how much you save going used.

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/mountain/trail-hardtails/trail-sl-29/trail-sl-29-ss

And how much of a markup is there on stuff like this? Like what would a good deal be? And is it better to find a model year earlier, and would I save that much?

I think when I got mine it was a model year earlier and saved a bit, I think it was around $1100 or so when I bought it early 2006, or maybe it was 2005, cant remember.

You can definitely find some good deals buying used, however you have to be checking pretty regularly as many good deals go really fast (at least in my area). What I have managed to do in the past is buy a bike off of someone secondhand, but the bike was only a week old, so I got a new bike for a few hundred less! Im not sure about how the classifieds are in your area, so maybe new is the way to go. We have a large mountain bike community in Vancouver, so there are tons of older bikes available.

How much of a mark up is there? Bike shops usually sell stuff at the MSRP that the bike manufacturer sets, which is usually around 30-40% higher than what they buy it for. Finding an older model is a great idea, as most older models are the same bike but with a different paint job, and you save some money for sure. (at least $100 in my shop). Most bikes commonly go on sale around August-November, when the new models are being released, as shops want to get rid of old stock. Usually the more common sizes like mediums and larges go first, and S/XLs will remain.

I haven't looked too much into bicyclebluebook, but i have heard great things about them in the past! Sometimes I will just youtube something specific if it stumps me. :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 21:50:34 »
here's mine, as promised.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 21:53:37 »
bought an old bike from the beginning of the 80s, converted to single speed and fixed it up, have since the picture accuired more rust and new brakes :)

The bikelooks dope.

Show Image

holy crap henz, now i have to post a pic of mine. hahaha

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:01:53 »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:17:48 »
Show Image

Show Image

bit of an odd cockpit setup you have there.

Your wife wants a front shock. You get much better control especially on uphills with a solid fork but it's less comfortable for a beginner. Then again if you're just riding around town it's not so big a deal. and if you arent' doing too heavy mountain biking it's not that big a deal. So it could work.

I can't say about bike prices since I got most of my gear used. it's true that there isn't much difference year-to-year. It's mainly small changes to the groupset. You can check this on bikepedia. Frame geometry and bike fitment are much more important than specific group choices IMO, but this might be because I change up my group so much I don't value it so much.

I have a '04/'05 Rans Tailwind recumbent that I'm going to dust off and put on Craigslist this year.

Next year I'd like to get a folding Catrike.

I can't go back to upright/diamond frame bicycles - they are too uncomfortable.

When I had owned upright bicycles I tried pretty much every saddle you can think of - even the Brooks; but couldn't last more than a couple miles.  On a recumbent?  30+ miles EASY.

Yeah I've been eyeing the catrike too for a while. If recumbants weren't so expensive I'd own one by now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:19:50 by dorkvader »

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:26:55 »
you could always look and see if there are any community bike projects in your area.
they are fairly common, and its a great place to get a cheep bike. or pre built bikes.
and a lot of them may have a course to teach you how to build up your own bike from scratch.
well thats just my two cents anyway...
i've gotten so aggravated at these new components that come out that are just meant to be thrown out after a few miles.
so i just restore. and rebuild whatever i've got.
im always swaping all my parts from frame to frame, and rebuilding wheel sets.
hmm kind of like keyboards parts from one to another :P

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:31:42 »
here's mine, as promised.

Show Image

Great looking bike demik! I have the same bartape on my road bike, its so nice and comfortable! :)

you could always look and see if there are any community bike projects in your area.
they are fairly common, and its a great place to get a cheep bike. or pre built bikes.
and a lot of them may have a course to teach you how to build up your own bike from scratch.
well thats just my two cents anyway...
i've gotten so aggravated at these new components that come out that are just meant to be thrown out after a few miles.
so i just restore. and rebuild whatever i've got.
im always swaping all my parts from frame to frame, and rebuilding wheel sets.
hmm kind of like keyboards parts from one to another :p

True that, I find myself switching bikes every year or two just for a new experience !

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:32:58 »
yup lizard skins is comfortable, but it wears quickly =/

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:35:42 »
yup lizard skins is comfortable, but it wears quickly =/

Yeah that is true. Kinda pricey at retail too :/

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 19:48:49 »
Thanks for the responses!

With the hitch mount racks should I go with a 2" or 1.25" receivers? The Thule Apex 4 fits both (we'll have to carry three bikes) but not sure if the bigger receiver is better or lateral.

Offline pesky brat

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 16:06:24 »
As promised, my '09 Devinci Desperado I picked up last week. Rainy day so I had to take a garage pic :/

Also an attempt at an artsy shot from a recent ride.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 16:19:48 »
i think when i get back to the west coast. i am going to build up a full suspension bike.
always wanted to, but this thread is making me want even more.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 16:51:49 »
Yea this thread is corresponding to some plans to get my bike spun up, get the wife a bike, and get my stepson a bike. It's going to be expensive.

I need a hitch for the wagon

Bike rack that will carry three bikes

Bike maintenance stand plus some bike specific tools

Components to get my Gary Fisher spun up

Find a bike for the wife

Either rebuild my old 1993 Mongoose Rockadile or find a bike for a ten year old. I really want an excuse to rebuild the Mongoose; it was the first big purchase I ever made. I worked all summer to buy that bike and have managed to keep it all these years.  The bike is too big for him, but not by much.

Lot of research and lot of $, but free family outings after that, lots of good place to ride around here.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 19:59:43 »
My first big bike purchase was the GT-LTS4000 back in high school.  I ended up breaking and replacing all but one piece of the rear 4 bar linkage setup.

Not my bike but same model and color scheme

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 21:57:23 »
Thanks for the responses!

With the hitch mount racks should I go with a 2" or 1.25" receivers? The Thule Apex 4 fits both (we'll have to carry three bikes) but not sure if the bigger receiver is better or lateral.

I am not sure what would be best. Not really a car person, does one of them work for more applications then just bike racks? Many bike racks come with an adapter to fit both sizes of receivers.

As promised, my '09 Devinci Desperado I picked up last week. Rainy day so I had to take a garage pic :/

Show Image

Also an attempt at an artsy shot from a recent ride.

Show Image

Looks like a nice bike, and great picture from your ride!

My first big bike purchase was the GT-LTS4000 back in high school.  I ended up breaking and replacing all but one piece of the rear 4 bar linkage setup.

Not my bike but same model and color scheme

Show Image

I love old mountain bikes! We get quite a few through our shop here in North Van, since this is one of the areas where mountain biking started!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 23:12:00 »
So , bike chain lube.   Can I just get the cheapest one with the Teflon,  or is there something to the really expensive bottles.

Also do I clean the chain in straight water?  What am I supposed to soak it in.  Is dish soap OK.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 23:22:30 »
So , bike chain lube.   Can I just get the cheapest one with the Teflon,  or is there something to the really expensive bottles.

Also do I clean the chain in straight water?  What am I supposed to soak it in.  Is dish soap OK.

uh, i'd suggest Phil Wood Tenacious Oil.
its the best for chains imo.

and to clean it, dish soap would work. might take a while, but you may want a stronger degreaser.

i urge any bike enthusiast to look at this website.
it will answer any question.
and has ton of great information.
anything bike related.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 00:08:04 »
I'm pretty new to bikes, the one I have right now is bought super used from a local shop that cleans up police impounded bikes and I got it for 100 bucks. Do you guys have any favorite resources I can read about getting into road bikes? Maybe what brands are better for beginners or what kind of frames/tires to look out for. I would appreciate any reading material as I'm just interested in learning about whats out there!
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 00:22:41 »

uh, i'd suggest Phil Wood Tenacious Oil.
its the best for chains imo.

and to clean it, dish soap would work. might take a while, but you may want a stronger degreaser.

i urge any bike enthusiast to look at this website.
it will answer any question.
and has ton of great information.
anything bike related.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

But this sheldonbrown guy, says specifically NOT to use tenacious oil.

hahahaha

I'm starting to wonder if "in my case"  I might as well buy new chains whenever it starts squeaking instead of oils..

Cuz.. The chain I'd need for my bike (exercise, not hobby) is only $10..

The bottle of oil is $10...   Why bother.. LOL.. if each chain is good for a thousand miles..  I might as well just keep getting chains.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 00:42:14 »
You can buy the cheapest one with teflon if you want. There are small diferences in more expensive ones, but nothing worth worrying about too much.

Don't clean the chain in straight water, you will rust it. If you must clean it, use a degreaser. However you shouldn't need to fully clean it. The best way is to spray some degreaser on an old rag and run the chain through the rag to clean the outsides of the chain. You can also do this without degreaser if you don't have any to clean the outside of the chain. If you dip it in stuff you will rust and make the inside links sticky.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 02:02:28 »
You can buy the cheapest one with teflon if you want. There are small diferences in more expensive ones, but nothing worth worrying about too much.

Don't clean the chain in straight water, you will rust it. If you must clean it, use a degreaser. However you shouldn't need to fully clean it. The best way is to spray some degreaser on an old rag and run the chain through the rag to clean the outsides of the chain. You can also do this without degreaser if you don't have any to clean the outside of the chain. If you dip it in stuff you will rust and make the inside links sticky.

on the Sheldonbrown page..

He says to take the chain and put it into a bottle with  citrus degreaser and just shake it up.

Now.. Citrus degreaser isn't cheap ~$10. The teflon-oil is at least $10 as well.  If my crummy bike only requires a $10 chain..

replacing the chain every 1000 miles would be easier than the maintenance no?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 02:16:12 »
Yeah you can definitely do that too. There are many ways to clean a chain, I personally prefer just to keep it fairly clean with a rag, but I use more expensive chains and they last longer. I usually end up cleaning my chain every few weeks anyways!

In your situation, I would agree you might as well just replace the chain, or use an old rag to clean the outside of it.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 14:14:26 »
I live about 2 miles away from my office and the other day i found this little gem.

I've dubbed it the Hipster Speical.

Generic hipster bike, but nearly everything on its been upgraded, cranks, pedals, bars, seat, etc.

I got it for $80, and put another $80 into it for new bearings, tires, a tune up at the local shop and a few other little goodies.

I've been puttering around on it for a few days, and today I rode it to work, it was nice, but man, single speeds suck for commuting.
I love the clean look of a fixie, and its light weight ( aprox 20lbs, don't have a scale ) but if I keep up on it I may sell it and buy a road bike in the 500 range.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 14:16:07 »
I live about 2 miles away from my office and the other day i found this little gem.

Generic hipster bike, but nearly everything on its been upgraded, cranks, pedals, bars, seat, etc.

I got it for $80, and put another $80 into it for new bearings, tires, a tune up at the local shop and a few other little goodies.
Show Image

I've been puttering around on it for a few days, and today I rode it to work, it was nice, but man, single speeds suck for commuting.
I love the clean look of a fixie, and its light weight ( aprox 20lbs, don't have a scale ) but if I keep up on it I may sell it and buy a road bike in the 500 range.

what's the point of a larger rear wheel.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 14:17:30 »
its the same size, but its a 'deep-v' rim, that makes it look bigger.

edit: the bike is also leaning at an angle in the pic
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2015, 14:21:19 by Jixr »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 14:19:44 »

Show Image

Looks like it is in good condition for only $80! Everyone wants those kinds of bikes around here, so you can't even find any for less then $200!  :o

Offline Jixr

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 14:29:18 »
yeah, i live in austin and the hipster appeal is pretty big here as well. its a little beat up, and not that pretty looking, but for the most part rides okay. I think I need to replace the chain and freewheel, but for now its fine.

I really want to strip it down and paint it up and make it match a little better.
I'm thinking a bright red frame would look pretty good instead of the baby blue.

even after fixing it up and the added goodies, i could probably flip it for a few bucks, and get a better road bike with gears. even though my commute is pretty short at 2 miles, the fixie kills me on the slight hills, up hills suck, and going down hills it rolls faster than i can peddle.

Hopefully as i get into better shape it becomes easier.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 14:41:13 »
yeah, i live in austin and the hipster appeal is pretty big here as well. its a little beat up, and not that pretty looking, but for the most part rides okay. I think I need to replace the chain and freewheel, but for now its fine.

I really want to strip it down and paint it up and make it match a little better.
I'm thinking a bright red frame would look pretty good instead of the baby blue.

even after fixing it up and the added goodies, i could probably flip it for a few bucks, and get a better road bike with gears. even though my commute is pretty short at 2 miles, the fixie kills me on the slight hills, up hills suck, and going down hills it rolls faster than i can peddle.

Hopefully as i get into better shape it becomes easier.

Makes sense. I live on top of one mountain, and work on top of another hill, so a fixie wouldn't work for me! Seem kinda fun though.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 15:09:09 »
yeah, I want to beat up on this one before I look into getting something a bit more expensive.

Also while a geared bike may be easier, this one is a bit better of a work out.

I'm thinking if I get into it a bit, maybe i'll upgrade later.
My goal is to ride to work at least 2 days a week.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 15:19:04 »
Sounds like a good plan to me! Biking to work is an excellent way to get fit/into the sport. :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 15:24:27 »
Sounds like a good plan to me! Biking to work is an excellent way to get fit/into the sport. :)

Do all the people who bike to work have something like work-showers ?

How can you work when you're all damp and mildly-sticky all day from the sweat..

Or do you guys have some sort of genetic adaptation such that you don't sweat while biking whatsoever..

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 15:29:24 »

How can you work when you're all damp and mildly-sticky all day from the sweat..

Or do you guys have some sort of genetic adaptation such that you don't sweat while biking whatsoever..

My ride to work is pretty relaxing, its mainly a downhill/flat ride the whole way to work, so I am fine with just a change of clothes when I get there. Riding home at the end of the day makes me sweat though!

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 15:32:08 »
What are some general bike ownership tips, for cleaning and maintenance?

I plan to wipe down my bike with a microfiber towel, and maybe a bit of automotive shampoo, but is there any place that I should avoid getting soapy water on or anything else?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 15:40:00 »

I plan to wipe down my bike with a microfiber towel, and maybe a bit of automotive shampoo, but is there any place that I should avoid getting soapy water on or anything else?

Avoid getting water on anything that can rust easily. Such as your chain/headset/hubs/bottom bracket area. Basically you can get water on them but it is better not to spray a hose directly in these areas which are sealed.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 15:54:02 »

My ride to work is pretty relaxing, its mainly a downhill/flat ride the whole way to work, so I am fine with just a change of clothes when I get there. Riding home at the end of the day makes me sweat though!

I leave my place at 7 so its a bit cooler in the morning ( and living in texas, 'cool' is a relative term )
I don't have showers at work ( wish i did though ) but I just wear shorts/t-shirt for the ride, and clean off with baby wipes and wash my face and change into my work clothes in the office bathroom.

My ride is only 2 miles, and if I take it easy i don't get too burnt out.
So far, being stinky isn't an issue, but hopefully the more I ride, the stronger I get and the less I sweat.

In the evenings i get pretty sweaty, but i'm usually booking it and getting more of a work out out of it, and once i'm home I shower up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:01:50 »

I leave my place at 7 so its a bit cooler in the morning ( and living in texas, 'cool' is a relative term )
I don't have showers at work ( wish i did though ) but I just wear shorts/t-shirt for the ride, and clean off with baby wipes and wash my face and change into my work clothes in the office bathroom.

My ride is only 2 miles, and if I take it easy i don't get too burnt out.
So far, being stinky isn't an issue, but hopefully the more I ride, the stronger I get and the less I sweat.

In the evenings i get pretty sweaty, but i'm usually booking it and getting more of a work out out of it, and once i'm home I shower up.

Isn't 2 miles only about 10 minutes on a bicycle?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:04:35 »

Avoid getting water on anything that can rust easily. Such as your chain/headset/hubs/bottom bracket area. Basically you can get water on them but it is better not to spray a hose directly in these areas which are sealed.

Thank you, GH resident Bike Tech :)

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:05:53 »

on the Sheldonbrown page..

He says to take the chain and put it into a bottle with  citrus degreaser and just shake it up.

Now.. Citrus degreaser isn't cheap ~$10. The teflon-oil is at least $10 as well.  If my crummy bike only requires a $10 chain..

replacing the chain every 1000 miles would be easier than the maintenance no?

thats usualy what i do anyways.
but on the tenatious lube. i love how it picks up all the dust/dirt, its just more satisfying to clean when it gets that way :P
and it leaves cool marks on my pants/socks

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:08:37 »

Show Image

jixr. those major taylor handle bars are nice, i had some once, but then a car backed into my parked bike.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:12:35 »

i don't sweat.
i am a machine.