Author Topic: Massdrop x Geekhack  (Read 185111 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:17:33 »
It's more like that site hasn't been updated for that long. I've noticed a bunch of mess-ups since then on Reddit and I don't even follow it.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:24:02 »
It's more like that site hasn't been updated for that long. I've noticed a bunch of mess-ups since then on Reddit and I don't even follow it.

Hence the irony of linking to the site in that context  :p
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:34:21 »
Time to find a new forum. Geekhack seems to have lost its way and I'm not here to further MD's corporate interests. RIP Geekhack.

Dear Massdrop,

My hobby doesn't belong to you.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:37:40 by Wetherbee »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:37:08 »
well this is a disaster. i work with zeal and some of the others i suspect were bidders regularly and would have happily entrusted the site to them if i were still dumping 80 hours of my life a week into the place.

i've met as many lifetime friends on geekhack as i have in literally any other way in my life, and this is feeling pretty unacceptable.

i will be making the rounds over the next few weeks to see how those same friends feel about what just happened. i still own a few domain names that would be perfectly acceptable for a new community home. gearhack.org has been my favorite, but everyone in the coop would get a vote (which is how we did things before, by the way).

ta ta for now though.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:41:10 »
Massdrop is better for a number of reasons.  Their business model is completely internet based, they have HQ in Silicon Valley, they are staffed with system programmers, software developers, engineers, and teams that work in both the US and overseas.  They are a company first sure, but they have NEVER changed the site from being about the community.  Yes, I am sure they have people that join the discussions that may be "product testers" but every single product they sell starts with community members carrying forward the discussion.  Show us another community designed group buy system that ISN'T following massdrop's design (ahem Input Club) but another site (who is firstly interested in purchasing geekhack) that runs a similar shop.  We will never all agree on a single point but to me I cannot find fault in Massdrop on this one.  iMav could have done far worse and waited another year and likely sold the forum for much much more.  Geekhack has been my home for years.  There is still many many other active forums (slack, discord) and sign up sales (google forms, websites) that will still give new and elder members plenty of opportunity to design, share, and create, beyond what GH has to offer.  Geekhack needs a stable platform, I can't see a larger team of IT and Creative professionals that could have offered GH a better alternative to Massdrop.

Offline mpaarating

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:41:39 »
I got into MK stuff via MD GBs. As my KB interests are far more niche now than what MD offers, I welcome the new overlords.

It would not be in MD's interests to f*ck with anything on GH. Pretty sure that MD does just fine monetarily to sustain the < $500/month of this forum. It would also sink their KB GBs if they f*ccked over GH.

If you've had a bad experience with MD delivering things on time form GBs, then good news! They aren't running GBs here.

If you've had the MD site crap the bed on you, welcome to web development, god bless. As long as they don't replatform GH onto some custom forum software they cooked up, all should be good.

Relax friends.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:43:43 by mpaarating »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:45:33 »
Dear Massdrop,

But it belonged to Mav for like 8 years? I understand a singular entity (which most people weren't even aware existed, even very veteran members) is different from a corporation, though not to the extent some do as I know that notion carries a heavily negative connotation in the US, but saying "the hobby doesn't belong to x or y" after it effectively belonged to z for almost a decade strikes me as a little strange. Knee-jerk reactions like this will always do more harm than good, but people are of course free to do what they feel is right.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:46:12 »
I suppose we'll see what comes of it in the months to follow.

For me, geekhack is all about the community.  The makers.  The drama.  The asshats.  The givers.  It's all here in perfect proportions.  (Probably need to give a shout out to moderators here too.  The true unsung heroes who keep it all in balance).

I honestly think a lot of what has kept geekhack alive and well is the wealth of information and how well it is indexed on this website and on Google.  This old style of paginated posts might seem outdated to newcomers, but it is certainly search engine friendly.

Hope to god we don't see some javascript heavy site with progressively loading comment chains that are nearly impossible to edit on mobile.

What will the website geekhack.org will become in the future?  I'm trying to wrap my head around why our community has thrived and continued to grow on an older platform.  Yes, Massdrop has helped push forward by bringing more people into the keyboard community.  So has reddit.

But this website is the heart of it all. It's our rallying spot.  All I ask is that if you kids decide to pack up camp, please don't sneak off without telling us where you are headed :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:52:29 by pixelpusher »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:47:00 »
well this is a disaster. i work with zeal and some of the others i suspect were bidders regularly and would have happily entrusted the site to them if i were still dumping 80 hours of my life a week into the place.

i've met as many lifetime friends on geekhack as i have in literally any other way in my life, and this is feeling pretty unacceptable.

i will be making the rounds over the next few weeks to see how those same friends feel about what just happened. i still own a few domain names that would be perfectly acceptable for a new community home. gearhack.org has been my favorite, but everyone in the coop would get a vote (which is how we did things before, by the way).

ta ta for now though.

i mean i'm not disagreeing with you but

it's been like... 5 hours since this was announced?

call me in 6 months

you did a lot of good for GH and i'd join any forum you started, but calling the place ruined is a stretch at this point
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:48:39 »
Why would MD keeping the community here together benefit them with their buys?

I thought only reddit bought things from MD?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:51:02 »
Why would MD keeping the community here together benefit them with their buys?

I thought only reddit bought things from MD?

(Attachment Link)

korean community loves MD from my understanding
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:51:07 »
Dear Massdrop,

But it belonged to Mav for like 8 years? I understand a singular entity (which most people weren't even aware existed, even very veteran members) is different from a corporation, though not to the extent some do as I know that notion carries a heavily negative connotation in the US, but saying "the hobby doesn't belong to x or y" after it effectively belonged to z for almost a decade strikes me as a little strange. Knee-jerk reactions like this will always do more harm than good, but people are of course free to do what they feel is right.

The point was Imav had no vested financial investment in the site. He had no incentive. Massdrop, a corporate entity, has a large investment they need to make dividends on. I think it calls into question many benefits of the site.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline gutsack

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:53:14 »
I don't like this. I don't like this at all.
I am absolutely not a fan of Massdrop.

I nearly almost posted something in anger that would surely have got me banned. That's how strongly I feel about this.

Not that I'm a Massdrop defender, but if there were an external site called GeekHackDrama it would be full to the gills every day with group buys that took an extra two years, delivered broken PCBs, straight-up never shipped, etc. For some reason it's accepted if a GB is a disaster here but completely unacceptable if MD ships 2% of a buy the wrong parts. Just sayin'.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:58:54 »
By all means, do remind people on Reddit of that useful site! I'm not on Reddit myself.

My point in posting it was not to show that number but to show the history of the award-winning company that has taken over Geekhack.
What I mean is that they have not exactly instilled me with much confidence.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:59:13 »
I don't like this. I don't like this at all.
I am absolutely not a fan of Massdrop.

I nearly almost posted something in anger that would surely have got me banned. That's how strongly I feel about this.

Not that I'm a Massdrop defender, but if there were an external site called GeekHackDrama it would be full to the gills every day with group buys that took an extra two years, delivered broken PCBs, straight-up never shipped, etc. For some reason it's accepted if a GB is a disaster here but completely unacceptable if MD ships 2% of a buy the wrong parts. Just sayin'.

dae geekwhack

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:00:05 »
The point was Imav had no vested financial investment in the site. He had no incentive. Massdrop, a corporate entity, has a large investment they need to make dividends on. I think it calls into question many benefits of the site.

I understand the sentiment but you mean besides the monthly $250~ he stated he had been paying for the servers and for maintenance over the course of however long? The costs he tried to cover with >>>DEALS<<<.

Massdrop aren't incompetent. Jedi posted a very informative post a little bit ago, and honestly from a business point of view not only is trying to force monetise the site the absolute worst thing they can do, I also firmly believe they'll be in the green far as their investment goes (even if they paid 100gs for it) within the span of one to two years by doing absolutely nothing bar owning the site.

Edit: 250, not 350.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:02:33 by Vigrith »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:00:47 »
one of the primary reasons i left when i did was because imav refused to give up any equity (ownership) stake in the forum. i also know the full costs of running the site from inception until now, and they have been... minimal, to say the least. he has been planning some variant of this for quite a long time.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:01:55 »
The complaints I have about massdrop could plague geekhack, or not.

I've noticed this on many drops on massdrop:

random product with a lot of unanswered questions about it, lots of people in the talk section asking these questions, wondering whats going on.... drop ends and there is no response from massdrop to any of them.

hyped product with some questions about it, most of them get answered by a massdrop rep of some sort.

.... there is a noticeable difference between the products massdrop stands behind and knows about, and others which they seem to know nothing whatsoever about and theyre just a platform for selling...

I wonder....  will geekhack be one of the things they are willing to put people behind?

keyboards

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:02:24 »
Their business model is completely internet based, they have HQ in Silicon Valley, they are staffed with system programmers, software developers, engineers, and teams that work in both the US and overseas.
And ??

That is supposed to instil confidence how? You could say those things about just about EVERY FRIGGIN COMPANY.
Businesses set up shop in Silicon Valley because of name recognition, because it used to be cool and interesting back before most members here even used a computer for the first time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:07:30 by Findecanor »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:03:05 »
one of the primary reasons i left when i did was because imav refused to give up any equity (ownership) stake in the forum. i also know the full costs of running the site from inception until now, and they have been... minimal, to say the least. he has been planning some variant of this for quite a long time.

Are you forgetting a very big elephant in the room that I really don't want to bring up in public more than this?  Or do you intend to continue posting as if none of that ever happened and you only had the best in mind for the community?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:04:45 »

Are you forgetting a very big elephant in the room that I really don't want to bring up in public more than this?  Or do you intend to continue posting as if none of that ever happened and you only had the best in mind for the community?

careful, you'll wake the keyboard conspiracy theorists
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:06:41 by Puddsy »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:05:37 »
It's not a secret, many people know how he left things when he took his extended leave of absence and what happened with his group buy.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:06:23 »
I also firmly believe they'll be in the green far as their investment goes (even if they paid 100gs for it) within the span of one to two years by doing absolutely nothing bar owning the site.

Might as well had let zeal buy it and keep the money if they didn't need nothing to change  :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:09:08 »
It's not a secret, many people know how he left things when he took his extended leave of absence and what happened with his group buy.

oh i thought you were talking about something else

that was pretty ****ed up

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:10:06 »

the elephant is called the smallfry group buy and you rescued the tattered remains of it, almost entirely without my help (or when i was so late with help that it was pointless). i am happy to take more flack for it; this place is associated with a long stretch of pure masochism from me that follows me to this day. there is no situation in which i would take a significant commercial interest in anything new (but corollary, nothing new should have commercial interests). however, with the current (very small) size of the site, I could possibly arrange for the community to have an independent platform again.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:13:10 »
For me, the question this raises is what happens to geekhack if/when Massdrop gets acquired?  Massdrop is a Silicon Valley startup, they look like they're not going to fold, so I would expect them to IPO or get acquired at some point, and an acquisition feels more likely.  If they get acquired by a larger commerce site, the geekhack site seems like something an acquiring company might just shut down.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:16:52 »
Oh I feel like a hypocrite. Whole time sitting here thinking "who gives a ****, it is mavs he can do what he wants". But now I see Massdrop as the new owner. I personally have nothing against massdrop but I don't really like this (I don't even know why). But then again they say at this stage it will be the same, no changes. We will see I guess.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:17:43 »
For me, the question this raises is what happens to geekhack if/when Massdrop gets acquired?  Massdrop is a Silicon Valley startup, they look like they're not going to fold, so I would expect them to IPO or get acquired at some point, and an acquisition feels more likely.  If they get acquired by a larger commerce site, the geekhack site seems like something an acquiring company might just shut down.

if they're gonna fold why would they spend 5 figures on a random forum?

Offline mpaarating

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:23:25 »

I don't think that MD's "dividends" are going to be hurt much by 9k a year in community involvement. They probably spend more than that of office snacks per year.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:26:19 by mpaarating »

Offline russthebus27

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:24:28 »

You don't even read what you quote... literally said "they look like they're NOT going to fold"... c'mon at least show some effort, don't just post to get your count up.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:25:35 »

You don't even read what you quote... literally said "they look like they're NOT going to fold"... c'mon at least show some effort, don't just post to get your count up.

i did read it, just incorrectly

my mistake

Offline russthebus27

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:29:14 »

my mistake

Fair enough.  Regardless, 5-figure investment is nothing to a multi-million dollar company.  Especially if it keeps a major sector of their sales/profits together.  Also, this move keeps Massdrop in the same breath as Geekhack for the foreseeable future.  The more people talk about it, the more likely they are to visit the site.  Simple influence on consumer behavior.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:30:40 »

u get double the posts if u mess up everything u say the first time, cmon these are the basics  :llama: :llama: :llama:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:31:56 »

my mistake

Fair enough.  Regardless, 5-figure investment is nothing to a multi-million dollar company.  Especially if it keeps a major sector of their sales/profits together.  Also, this move keeps Massdrop in the same breath as Geekhack for the foreseeable future.  The more people talk about it, the more likely they are to visit the site.  Simple influence on consumer behavior.

yeah

fair concern

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:43:10 »
Please remember that you can formulate some questions for Will / Massdrop that will be answered in a series of Q&As.  I.e. some of the sentiments here could be framed into questions rather than a wild speculation of "what ifs" (technically Yellowstone volcano can erupt next month and change everything, we can never cover every possibility).  And also--beyond the fact that the site was sold is itself a shock--the situation is now what it is, so let's see how it goes.  Everything happened in a rush, and it's too early to say whether any given person here will be content with the transition or not. 

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:45:19 »
Hello Friends,

My name is Will Bright, I’m a Co-Founder of Massdrop, GH lurker since ‘08 and member since ‘12. Yesterday we purchased Geekhack.

I learned about the sale thread on Monday morning, and my first reaction was.... Wut? Like many thread participants, I was surprised to see this and concerned with the potential outcomes. I’ve spent my entire life in enthusiast communities, and I’ve seen many great communities disperse because of dramatic changes in ownership or management. On Monday, I feared Geekhack would meet a similar fate. From there, I called a meeting of our founding team to discuss purchasing Geekhack with the primary goal of preserving it.

There’s a lot of great stuff about GH, some would argue there’s garbage stuff about GH, but I think it’s hard to debate the dedication and sense of community created by the mods and long-term members of this community. In purchasing Geekhack, our goal is to support that dedication and empower the moderator team to continue improving the community you’ve all invested so much to build.

We’re not making any immediate changes. All rules, standards, processes, and regulations are the same this week as they were last week, and will be the same next week, and the week after, etc. We’re not making GH an advertising platform. We’re not interested in playing favorites with vendors or group buys. We are making no changes to the moderator or admin team.

This change in ownership should affect a 0% change in your GH experience.

That said, GH won’t remain the same forever, it shouldn’t. Communities are organic, they grow, they evolve. The key from our point of view is to support that growth, rather than direct that growth. We’re working with the mod team and dedicated community members to learn more about where the community is headed and what we can do as owners to facilitate that growth. Rest assured, any notable changes will be the result of community supported initiatives, not the will of some distant actor. 

By this point, hopefully you’re feeling cautiously optimistic, but you’re probably looking for the catch. How does Massdrop as a business benefit from buying GH if we’re not changing anything to monetize the site? Having a place for people to dive deeper into Mechanical Keyboards helps Massdrop create better products and leads to people being bigger Massdrop customers.

Geekhack is where Mechanical Keyboard enthusiasts can develop their knowledge and create projects together. The community needs a place for that, and we’re excited to help GH continue as that platform.

Best,

Will

P.S. My GH signature was one of the first Massdrop brand assets we made in 2012 and we’re still helping folks manage large group buys today : )

Will,

Still to make up my mind on the whole acquisition thing, but irrespective, when searching Massdrop on Crunchbase - you aren't listed as one of the founders/co-founders?

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/massdrop#section-investors

The same is for Massdrops about page - no mention of you there either...

https://www.massdrop.com/about

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:48:46 »
removed
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 17:59:57 by clasicks »

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:50:08 »
Hello Friends,

My name is Will Bright, I’m a Co-Founder of Massdrop, GH lurker since ‘08 and member since ‘12. Yesterday we purchased Geekhack.

I learned about the sale thread on Monday morning, and my first reaction was.... Wut? Like many thread participants, I was surprised to see this and concerned with the potential outcomes. I’ve spent my entire life in enthusiast communities, and I’ve seen many great communities disperse because of dramatic changes in ownership or management. On Monday, I feared Geekhack would meet a similar fate. From there, I called a meeting of our founding team to discuss purchasing Geekhack with the primary goal of preserving it.

There’s a lot of great stuff about GH, some would argue there’s garbage stuff about GH, but I think it’s hard to debate the dedication and sense of community created by the mods and long-term members of this community. In purchasing Geekhack, our goal is to support that dedication and empower the moderator team to continue improving the community you’ve all invested so much to build.

We’re not making any immediate changes. All rules, standards, processes, and regulations are the same this week as they were last week, and will be the same next week, and the week after, etc. We’re not making GH an advertising platform. We’re not interested in playing favorites with vendors or group buys. We are making no changes to the moderator or admin team.

That said, GH won’t remain the same forever, it shouldn’t. Communities are organic, they grow, they evolve. The key from our point of view is to support that growth, rather than direct that growth. We’re working with the mod team and dedicated community members to learn more about where the community is headed and what we can do as owners to facilitate that growth. Rest assured, any notable changes will be the result of community supported initiatives, not the will of some distant actor. 

By this point, hopefully you’re feeling cautiously optimistic, but you’re probably looking for the catch. How does Massdrop as a business benefit from buying GH if we’re not changing anything to monetize the site? Having a place for people to dive deeper into Mechanical Keyboards helps Massdrop create better products and leads to people being bigger Massdrop customers.

Geekhack is where Mechanical Keyboard enthusiasts can develop their knowledge and create projects together. The community needs a place for that, and we’re excited to help GH continue as that platform.

Best,

Will

P.S. My GH signature was one of the first Massdrop brand assets we made in 2012 and we’re still helping folks manage large group buys today : )

Will,

Still to make up my mind on the whole acquisition thing, but irrespective, when searching Massdrop on Crunchbase - you aren't listed as one of the founders/co-founders?

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/massdrop#section-investors

The same is for Massdrops about page - no mention of you there either...

https://www.massdrop.com/about

https://www.massdrop.com/talk/1954/the-history-of-massdrop

"Early on, Steve and Nelson were joined by Jasper Chan and Will Bright, and together the four formed the founding team"

thanks - also found him here - https://www.linkedin.com/in/wbrght/

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:51:54 »

This is all most of us ever wanted. Cautious optimism indeed.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:53:53 »
I think this will fall on deaf ears but what ever.

People are seriously over reacting and acting childish. People are saying lets start a new forum blah blah blah. Thais great but someone's gotta fund it and guess what it still isn't community owned. There also the fact the sequeal rarely lives up to the hype of the original.

This is the most likely outcome from the way things are going now. People are going to knee jerk. The community is going to splinter and geek hack will forever be lost. Reddit will continue, DT will Continue. Geekhack will be a shell. What ever new website people conjure up will never be as good or as capable and at some point will suffer the same fate.

People need to take a deep breath and look at this logically. MD bought geekhack why? Cause of profits duh! They see the money that geekhack already makes them and the thought of losing that most likely bothers them. They also see the fact they can make more money. How.. hmm easiest way would be to continue doing what there doing but offer a olive branch to group buy runners.
Hey we here at Massdrop will run XYZ for you. Think of the incoming's that could have happened but never panned out because of time, money, logistics etc etc. Now massdrop can step in. They can offer to help run it and guess what. They profit and the community profits.

This talk of finding another forum and jumping ship by some is just dumb. I mean ok jump ship now what? What happens if people don't move over. What happens if People decided that moving is to much hassle. What happens when the community loses interest and is no longer funding this little community owned oasis people are dreaming up. What happens when someone does create a forum gets a bunch of you to join then pulls a Ivan with your personal data? Think about it right now people are ripe for the picking as far as scam's go. What better scam to make you a TON of money then get a bunch of people to sign up on your website for a new amazing forum. That you then turn around in sell to a Chinese data mining company in 6-12months for few thousand dollar's profit.

Then on top of all that keep in mind your going to take on the legal trouble of running said sight thanks to the European law's that were recently enacted.

This entire coming down on the website and massdrop before you even see whats going to happen is kinda childish and I do get it. Emotions investment but instead of being pissed that the sight got sold. Instead of being upset that the community had its feathers ruffled. Prove to everyone that people can come together and get thought the tough times.

I see massdrop doing this not to make money though advertising but thought group buy's and to just in general generate goodwill among people after what happened with Inputclub. As far as Inputclub goes. There about as shady as they come. I will leave off my exact thoughts of them for now. I will add they did a lot for the community back in the day but in my eyes there as shady as Imav when it comes to almost everything recently. I do trust Massdrop over them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:55:38 »

People are seriously over reacting and acting childish.

could have stopped here

Offline gutsack

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:58:42 »

People are seriously over reacting and acting childish.

could have stopped here

Offline Will

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 17:36:06 »
Hello Will

Offline joey

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 17:39:28 »
Hello Will
I just love that this is your first post in 7 years.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 17:43:45 »
Hello Will
I just love that this is your first post in 7 years.

news travels fast

Offline RougeR

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 17:46:35 »
Hello Will

Hello Will
(can i play too)
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline dimo

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 17:52:25 »
Hello Will

Hello Will
(can i play too)

ruined it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 18:14:02 »
removed
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 18:00:06 by clasicks »

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 18:17:59 »
hey mods, no one would look down on you if you want to step down.

it's always humorous how passionate people get over things based on currently unrealized fears
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 18:30:55 »
This is the best possible outcome. People need to be more optimistic. MD has pulled off miracles in the past but people only focus on shipping mistakes and distribution rights.

My only question for Will is does this mean we will see geekhack labeled merc/devices on massdrop. I am not sure how i feel about that if that if that happens.