Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3478640 times)

Offline Nic3GreenNachos

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15700 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 05:13:45 »
I had a CM Storm QuickFire and got a PS/2-micro usb cable from Mimic Cables.
https://www.mimic-cables.com/products/custom-ps-2-cable

That works fine with that keybaord. I have since got a NerD 108. And it seems that the PS/2-micrio usb doesn't work with the NerD 108. When plug it in, the LED will get power, but there is no key inputs being received. I tired it with a usb-PS/2 converter and that also doesn't work. Does the NerD 108 have the capability to work with PS/2? Is is possible to have the PS/2-mirco usb cable modified to work with the NerD 108? Is there anything that can be done about this. I search google and found nothing. I even found a thread on geekhack
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43915.msg1474447#msg1474447

where someone asked the same question and never got a response. And another thread
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65590.0

that had a guy with a similar problem. But he said that he is currently using a converter and it worked. But the PS/2-usb didn't work out for him. And another guy in the the thread said that it needs to be a cable specifically for a keyboard. Can anything be done?

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #15701 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 12:25:09 »
I've been waiting for the last couple months for Vortex/Massdrop to release and RGB Poker with Cherry Clears. Now that it seems like it's not going to happen, at least soon, what options do I have for a tactile standard layout 60% board.
-Axiomatik

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #15702 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 12:30:01 »
I've been waiting for the last couple months for Vortex/Massdrop to release and RGB Poker with Cherry Clears. Now that it seems like it's not going to happen, at least soon, what options do I have for a tactile standard layout 60% board.

KBP V60 w/ MX Clears?
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15703 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 12:38:33 »
I recently got a Leopold FC660M and I removed the spacebar to try some o-rings. Well, after reinstalling the spacebar (Cherry stabilizers), it seems that it sits higher than it used to. I tried removing the o-rings, and flipping it. Is it possible that I messed up the switch when removing it, or am I just crazy?

I think that is the normal height. My leopold spacebar is slightly higher than the rest of the row.

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #15704 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 23:31:49 »

KBP V60 w/ MX Clears?

I was hoping for an rgb option.
-Axiomatik

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15705 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 05:35:52 »
I read the FAQ thread but I have questions regarding certain LED's. I saw Quakemz post about building and he mentioned he liked 1.8 LED's. Any leads on where to get those? The places in the FAQ does not really explain which ones I need. Thanks for any help!

Google "1.8mm LED", they're quite common. Not sure if you're looking for round or square ones, but there are FAQ threads for that too.

I recently got a Leopold FC660M and I removed the spacebar to try some o-rings. Well, after reinstalling the spacebar (Cherry stabilizers), it seems that it sits higher than it used to. I tried removing the o-rings, and flipping it. Is it possible that I messed up the switch when removing it, or am I just crazy?

Take the spacebar off and the key next to it and compare the switches, is one stem sitting higher out of the switch's case than the other, or the switch not sitting flat on the plate? You might also just try pressing the spacebar firmly, it may not be seated all the way.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15706 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 05:47:15 »

That works fine with that keybaord. I have since got a NerD 108. And it seems that the PS/2-micrio usb doesn't work with the NerD 108. When plug it in, the LED will get power, but there is no key inputs being received. I tired it with a usb-PS/2 converter and that also doesn't work. Does the NerD 108 have the capability to work with PS/2? Is is possible to have the PS/2-mirco usb cable modified to work with the NerD 108? Is there anything that can be done about this. I search google and found nothing. I even found a thread on geekhack

where someone asked the same question and never got a response. And another thread

that had a guy with a similar problem. But he said that he is currently using a converter and it worked. But the PS/2-usb didn't work out for him. And another guy in the the thread said that it needs to be a cable specifically for a keyboard. Can anything be done?

This happened to me on my Mini which runs an early version of ps2avr.  Power and no inputs for me meant that the cable's power and ground inputs were correctly mapped, but the Data+ and Data- lines were switched. Here is the pinout Mimic used for my correct cable: http://pinouts.ru/InputCables/usb_ps2_mouse_pinout.shtml

You can verify the mapping using a multimeter to check continuity between the pins on one end and the pins on the other end of the cable. A little tedious, but it may help to verify how the cable is mapped.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Nic3GreenNachos

« Reply #15707 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 06:50:28 »

This happened to me on my Mini which runs an early version of ps2avr.  Power and no inputs for me meant that the cable's power and ground inputs were correctly mapped, but the Data+ and Data- lines were switched. Here is the pinout Mimic used for my correct cable: http://pinouts.ru/InputCables/usb_ps2_mouse_pinout.shtml

You can verify the mapping using a multimeter to check continuity between the pins on one end and the pins on the other end of the cable. A little tedious, but it may help to verify how the cable is mapped.

Ah. Thanks I don't have multimeter myself, but I may be able to get one. However, initially when I order the cable from Mimic Cables it came faulty and I contacted the guy that runs it and sent it to him to be repaired. He said he offers a lifetime repair warranty on his work. So, I hope to get the meter and check, and if it is wrong I will contact him again and send it out. Thanks again.

Additionally, I still don't know if the NerD 108 supports PS/2. Does anyone have this info. I know I can contact GON, but anyone who has done business with him knows how difficult it is to contact him.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2017, 06:55:23 by Nic3GreenNachos »

Offline robromo

« Reply #15708 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 11:51:58 »
What are the popular options for a full size keyboard, brown switches, RGB lighting would be cool (Not needed, but a perk), around 150 (or less) (max 200)?

I'm looking at the MasterKey Pro L, and Ducky Shine 5 (Is 6 out or just on MK.com?)

I hear tons of bad things about LEDs on Corsair K70 - and although it feels cheaper than my current board (CM Storm Quickfire Rapid - the grey bezel, black keys) I DO like how it has the raised keycaps. Felt nice, and easier to clean. It seems like Ducky Shine 6 might be like that based on pics from MK.com

Also, I do love my CM Storm, but its TKL I want full size, and it's blue, I want brown switches now!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #15709 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 13:20:04 »
Does anyone know where I can get the schematic for the buzzer daughter board in the 4704 IBMs?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15710 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 13:36:28 »
I found a bit of information about IBM 4704 but I'm not that great at deciphering this kind of information just yet

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/converter/ibm4704_usb/ibm4704.txt

Here's a neat pdf brochure just for kicks (not a technical reference)

http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/IBM-ProdAnn/4700.pdf

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #15711 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 13:56:16 »
I found a bit of information about IBM 4704 but I'm not that great at deciphering this kind of information just yet

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/converter/ibm4704_usb/ibm4704.txt

Here's a neat pdf brochure just for kicks (not a technical reference)

http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/IBM-ProdAnn/4700.pdf

Thanks, but not what I am looking for.  I am trying to figure out the schematic because I want to breadboard the daughter board for the buzzer.  Essentially, I want to fix the issue with the buzzer constantly going when you disable or toggle it.  I am very new to electronics in general, and want to go this route.  The electronics shop I went to today, had issues figuring out exactly what a couple of the componenets were so I am trying to dig up the schematic to figure that out.

Side note, I noticed in the brochure, they showed two sizes of the keyboard, mentioned 3, but we know of 4 from that series. The 50, 62, 77, and 107 key versions.  Unless one of these is not an official version from that line.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #15712 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 18:23:50 »
Can someone post a link for the number pad layer of an SSK?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15713 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 21:27:19 »
Can someone post a link for the number pad layer of an SSK?

Are you looking for something more in-depth than this? https://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Space_Saving_Keyboard
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #15714 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 23:50:02 »
 I just got a happy hacking Bluetooth keyboard. It's the Japanese model. How do I switch between two devices going back-and-forth without deleting a device on one. Thank you.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15715 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 00:51:25 »
Does anyone know if there's a good source of long-tail SIP sockets other than the expensive ones from mouser?  (This might not be a simple question...)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mill-Max/311-43-164-41-001000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs%2fSh%2fkjph1tjJZclYmfaNPJ3I9Z5RDf1I%3d

I know there was a group buy long ago, and I got some from it, but I need MOAR!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15716 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 09:10:00 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:22:36 by alienman82 »

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #15717 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 12:44:58 »
Does anyone know if there's a good source of long-tail SIP sockets other than the expensive ones from mouser?  (This might not be a simple question...)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mill-Max/311-43-164-41-001000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs%2fSh%2fkjph1tjJZclYmfaNPJ3I9Z5RDf1I%3d

I know there was a group buy long ago, and I got some from it, but I need MOAR!

Here are the ones on Vincent's store too.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #15718 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 15:39:33 »
I just got a happy hacking Bluetooth keyboard. It's the Japanese model. How do I switch between two devices going back-and-forth without deleting a device on one. Thank you.
I don't think you can, manual doesn't refer the function at least.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Offline Eris_

« Reply #15719 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 23:08:26 »
Has anyone spotted an RGB 65% keyboard? Whenever I search "RGB 65% keyboard" it returns "Corsair K65 RGB compact". Something like the white fox, or this sexy thing: http://22kbd.com/173, but with full RGB lighting. Just a full RGB 65% keyboard with arrow keys, preferably with both a dedicated backspace and delete.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15720 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 08:37:41 »
2x3x4mm LEDs work with SA profile caps?
I love Elzy

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #15721 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 09:48:01 »
Is there any places in Europe where you can buy PCB mounted tactile grey switches?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #15722 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 09:51:35 »
Is there any places in Europe where you can buy PCB mounted tactile grey switches?
https://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/cherry-mx-taking-pre-orders-t2760.html

I doubt it is cheaper than buying from other place, but it's in EU.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15723 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 16:28:50 »
Anyone have a recommendation on calipers with needle-point tips? Trying not to break the bank, but I need .01mm precision. If I can't get some for sub-$50 I think I'd need recs on any old standard calipers with the same precision.

Ex:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15724 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:13:11 »
Anyone have a recommendation on calipers with needle-point tips? Trying not to break the bank, but I need .01mm precision. If I can't get some for sub-$50 I think I'd need recs on any old standard calipers with the same precision.

Ex:

Show Image

After doing some more reading I may be a bit off-base with my expectations, sounds like .01mm accuracy might be unrealistic.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15725 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 20:42:11 »
Is the profile of Realforce caps too distinct from sculpture 2 on the fc660c to make an alpha swap (to the Leo) uncomfortable?
keyboards.

Offline Eris_

« Reply #15726 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 01:33:03 »
Thanks for the help guys. No, REALLY... =_=

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15727 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 05:25:23 »
Thanks for the help guys. No, REALLY... =_=

Perhaps no one has spotted one. Is anyone here obligated to help you find RGB keyboards?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15728 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 05:25:41 »
Has anyone spotted an RGB 65% keyboard? Whenever I search "RGB 65% keyboard" it returns "Corsair K65 RGB compact". Something like the white fox, or this sexy thing: http://22kbd.com/173, but with full RGB lighting. Just a full RGB 65% keyboard with arrow keys, preferably with both a dedicated backspace and delete.
https://amp.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4ciatx/guide_65_keyboards_what_they_are_and_where_to_get/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4e5m2d/help_are_there_any_65_rgb_mechanical_keyboards/

Maybe ask on r/mechanicalkeyboards rgb seems to get more attention there

Offline tiimoto

« Reply #15729 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 04:52:33 »
Looking to buy a KÛL ES-87 with cherry mx clears in the EU. So far, I couldn't find a reseller that thad them then in stock. Can you guys help me out?

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #15730 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 08:27:46 »
Really dumb question, but is there any danger to using magnetic screwdrivers when screwing in PCBs to cases? I keep dropping screws whenever I put cases in
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline tobsn

« Reply #15731 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 08:58:39 »
Really dumb question, but is there any danger to using magnetic screwdrivers when screwing in PCBs to cases? I keep dropping screws whenever I put cases in

No, no danger, the magnetic powers of a screwdriver is barely enough to hold onto a screw. It's like asking if turning on your office fan will disturb nearby airplanes :)

Offline hking0036

« Reply #15732 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 16:43:34 »
Is the profile of Realforce caps too distinct from sculpture 2 on the fc660c to make an alpha swap (to the Leo) uncomfortable?
they seem to fit fine, the texture on the top is a little different but if you swap all the alphas it'll probably be fine.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline catawalks

« Reply #15733 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:44:14 »
Does anyone know the name of this switch type or who makes it? Seems to be a triangular metal dome plate that collapses under the pressure of the spring (which has foam in the middle of it) as it is pressed down. The keyboard is branded by Mohawk Data Sciences and most of the ICs are dated 1982/83.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #15734 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 08:10:39 »
Hello,

Tried search bar and the whole "geekhack.org mysearchhere" option, but no luck.

I guess my real problem is that the GMK Laser set coming out is so badass that it has inspired me to plunge into the depths of keyboard customization and wallet hell. But the issue I'm hoping to get assistance with from you fine folks is regarding ErgoDox EZ / Infinity, LED's and cases.

What I'm ultimately trying to do is get an ErgoDox layout keyboard with 67g zealios (which I have already), acrylic case, black top plate and the option for LED's under the keys (not sure if I want white, cyan, magenta or a cyan/magenta combo yet). So here are my questions:

• Is it even possible for the ED EZ to be modded with LED's?
  • Does anyone out there produce clear acrylic cases for ED EZ?
  • Is the Infinity regularly available to purchase somewhere, or do I have to just hope I can buy one here or on the MM?

I would very much appreciate any assistance, or any other related advice in general, toward the acquisition of this keyboard. FYI, the legendary kirkle8 will be helping me with the soldering.

Thanks in advance!
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15735 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 08:37:06 »
Hello,

Tried search bar and the whole "geekhack.org mysearchhere" option, but no luck.

I guess my real problem is that the GMK Laser set coming out is so badass that it has inspired me to plunge into the depths of keyboard customization and wallet hell. But the issue I'm hoping to get assistance with from you fine folks is regarding ErgoDox EZ / Infinity, LED's and cases.

What I'm ultimately trying to do is get an ErgoDox layout keyboard with 67g zealios (which I have already), acrylic case, black top plate and the option for LED's under the keys (not sure if I want white, cyan, magenta or a cyan/magenta combo yet). So here are my questions:

• Is it even possible for the ED EZ to be modded with LED's?
  • Does anyone out there produce clear acrylic cases for ED EZ?
  • Is the Infinity regularly available to purchase somewhere, or do I have to just hope I can buy one here or on the MM?

I would very much appreciate any assistance, or any other related advice in general, toward the acquisition of this keyboard. FYI, the legendary kirkle8 will be helping me with the soldering.

Thanks in advance!

Well, here's my two cents. If the tenting option can be purchased independently of the EZ then maybe it can be modified to fit a Falbatech case. The cases are nearly identical only the EZ is injected molded ABS while Falbatech's case is CNC'd PVC. Things is; the EZ has a PCB but IIRC it was never designed for LEDs. I know that some people soldered LEDs to their Ergodox's before the Ergodox Infinity so there's that I guess. If I were you I would grab an Ergodox Infinity, add my own tenting through 3D printing, and have the plate hydro dipped. If you already requested soldering services why not go full tilt? As an added bonus there wouldn't be the need to desolder a bunch of switches. Like I said that's my take on the subject.

Offline Koatl

« Reply #15736 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 10:55:39 »
Thanks for your input. I'm definitely liking the CNC'd PVC case. I'll probably buy one of those if ED EZ PCB has the capacity for LED soldering. I hit up their customer service team.

I've heard earlier model Infinity's actually don't have the capacity for LED, but newer ones do. I'll have to verify that. The Infinity certainly seems like an easier option, especially with 3D printing for tents.

I'm hoping the ED EZ PCB can have LED's soldered in; it would be a more expensive and laborsome route, but it feels like the route I want to go if possible. But if it can't, time to hunt down an Infinity.

I'll update this thread (and any other relevant one I can find) with my findings and results. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this too, if anyone is willing to share.

UPDATE: Apparently from FalbaTech I can get a fully constructed clear case ErgoDox for less than $160. Seems too good to be true. I must be missing something.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 11:44:27 by Koatl »
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15737 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:48:09 »
God, what a horrid website. Every single picture obscured by "quick view". You know what's even quicker than quick view? LETTING ME SEE THE ****ING PICTURE YOU PUT ON THE PAGE!!!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15738 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 15:58:15 »
UPDATE: Apparently from FalbaTech I can get a fully constructed clear case ErgoDox for less than $160. Seems too good to be true. I must be missing something.

It's true! Live the dream!

God, what a horrid website. Every single picture obscured by "quick view". You know what's even quicker than quick view? LETTING ME SEE THE ****ING PICTURE YOU PUT ON THE PAGE!!!

Images are shown in their original posts; just not when they're part of quoted material. That's to prevent the same images from appearing over and over through a discussion. It gives people the choice whether to re-see the images.

It'd be nice if there were an option in the forum settings not to do that by default, for those who didn't like it. But I can understand what the intention was.

That said, I can appreciate a good rant as much as anybody. If we could connect ourselves to little generators whenever we felt a rant coming on, we could probably power our cities without burning fossil fuels.  :?)
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:01:53 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Koatl

« Reply #15739 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 19:10:24 »

It's true! Live the dream!

Indeed! Those Polish have certainly got it right. I play D&D and just bought some dice from Poland, and they're the most amazing, beautiful dice I've ever seen. Guess I'm gonna have to make another purcahse from them.

Now I just gotta find out if the ED PCB they sell is capable of in-switch LEDs. Getting closer to the goal!
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15740 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 12:20:30 »

Images are shown in their original posts; just not when they're part of quoted material. That's to prevent the same images from appearing over and over through a discussion. It gives people the choice whether to re-see the images.

I'm talking about Falbatech's store.

Offline injectx

« Reply #15741 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 09:16:36 »
So I want to switch from my beloved Pok3r to a Varmilo VR68M.

Searched the entire internet but I really don't know where to get it, anyone knows of any Varmilo resellers?

Offline haofu612

« Reply #15742 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 09:31:54 »
Nice

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline Koatl

« Reply #15743 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 19:45:47 »
have the plate hydro dipped.

So things are going good. I've acquired a new-type Infinity with USB-C, which are the ones that are LED capable. But I'm curious, is there a specific reason you recommend hydro dipping instead of any other painting option? I just want the top plate solid black, which as far as I can see has no curvature which would really need hydro printing. Was looking into 3d printing for it, but no luck; only found ones for ED EZ, and I don't know if they're compatible. Tempted to just spray paint the plate, but figured I'd get two more cents from you first. ^__^

Thanks!
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15744 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 04:24:45 »
have the plate hydro dipped.

So things are going good. I've acquired a new-type Infinity with USB-C, which are the ones that are LED capable. But I'm curious, is there a specific reason you recommend hydro dipping instead of any other painting option? I just want the top plate solid black, which as far as I can see has no curvature which would really need hydro printing. Was looking into 3d printing for it, but no luck; only found ones for ED EZ, and I don't know if they're compatible. Tempted to just spray paint the plate, but figured I'd get two more cents from you first. ^__^

Thanks!

You could buy a small sheet of opaque or clear black acrylic and have someone laser cut it for you. There are stl files available for anyone that wants to cut or print their own cases or case parts for the Infinity. And it obviously can be something other than acrylic. Perhaps have someone cut some aluminum and have it anodized matte or glossy black :cool:. Hydro dipping is probably cheaper than having someone laser cut a top piece and it doesn't require all that messy painting lol.

Offline Koatl

« Reply #15745 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 20:18:43 »
...have someone laser cut it for you. There are stl files available for anyone that wants to cut or print their own cases or case parts for the Infinity.

You must be a damn genius. Thank you! I think I may be able to go this route. Again, thanks so much!
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15746 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 20:39:05 »
...have someone laser cut it for you. There are stl files available for anyone that wants to cut or print their own cases or case parts for the Infinity.

You must be a damn genius. Thank you! I think I may be able to go this route. Again, thanks so much!

Sure, post pics of the finished board :)

Offline Koatl

« Reply #15747 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 20:47:01 »
Sure, post pics of the finished board :)

Will do! ^__^

This is such an interesting community and art. I just really took an interest in this stuff a few days ago and now (mostly thanks to the guidance of fatpolomanjr and many wonderful people like yourself) I'm well on my way to two ErgoDox's (one EZ with zealios, another Infinity with magenta LEDs as well as zealios), customized keycaps, a few artisans and hopefully soon some specific artisans from the top-tier designers.

Fun fun!
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Boskr

« Reply #15748 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 09:14:17 »
I recently got a Qisan MagicForce 68 as a daily driver for work, but first I replaced all the switches with Cherry Reds. I noticed while doing this that the entire board has LED holes, despite the Caps Lock key being the only switch with an LED by default.

I've heard you can get this keyboard with LEDs, so I assume that's why the holes are there.

My question is: Soldering in a switch LED does nothing at all, except for the caps lock key which already has one, and is only lit when CL is on. Does anyone know of a way to turn on the LED lighting functionality?

I can provide high-res photos of the board on request.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 February 2017, 09:19:39 by Boskr »
Levinson split 40%, Gat Greens, DSA Blank
GH60, Cherry Browns, OEM Granite
Razer BWX TE, Gat Blacks+RGB, DSA Blank, No Logo (522 Solder Joints!!!)
Razer BWX TE, Razer Greens+RGB, All Stock (girlfriend's)
MagicForce 68, Cherry Reds, TaiHao Dasher
Corsair K70, Cherry Reds+RGB, Stock Caps

Ask me about Soldering/Assembly/Other services in NC!

Offline tekteq

« Reply #15749 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 14:08:52 »
Does https://mechanicalkeyboards.com ship to Germany?