Author Topic: [IC] AM Compact Touch R2 | Adjustable Flex + Touch Panel  (Read 5445 times)

Offline Crazy Designers

[IC] AM Compact Touch R2 | Adjustable Flex + Touch Panel
« on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 01:33:26 »
AM Compact Touch R2 by Angry Miao

305870-0
Discord server

Hello Geekhack! This is Crazy Designers here. If you have been following us before, you must remember that we have launched AM Compact Touch last year. It is rather a very controversial product. Some love it and some really hate it for some reason.

However, due to the final result of the former GB and feedback from our Discord, we decided to go on with R2.

This time, we have learned from the experiences of last time, and we will include an optional split backspace PCB option for those who would love an original HHKB layout.

What's more, although we still don't comply to QMK and VIA, but we do support real-time keymapping this time on our own app AM Master!

IC form: https://forms.gle/HVhN9w1AViJ51byE7

Pricing

February 26, 2024 at 7:00 PM PST
Location and details: Angry Miao Store
End date: until all units sold
Estimated fulfilment: Mid March
Pricing:
  • AM Compact Touch R2 Snow Peak Base Kit - 398 USD
  • AM Compact Touch R2 Donut / Blue Velocity Base Kit - 450 USD
  • AM Compact Touch R2 Snow Peak Bundle - 498 USD
  • AM Compact Touch R2 Donut / Blue Velocity Bundle - 550 USD

Details

Typing Angle: 10°
CMF: CNC aluminum, anodized / e-coat
Mount: Adjustable Leaf Spring Mount (two-stage adjustable flex, 8 typing combos)
Plate: FR4 plate installed by default, POM plate optional
LEDs: In-switch RGB, blocker RGB lighting
PCB: 1.2mm hot-swap with in-switch LEDs and cutouts. Supports real-time keymapping through AM Master. Two separate PCBs for Touch Panel and blocker RGB lighting. May offer additional PCB with split backspace based on demand.
Connection: Tri-Mode 2.4G wireless, Bluetooth 5.1 and wired (USB Type-C)
Dimensions: 296.7mm (L) * 119.8mm (W) * 20.4mm (front height) / 39.2mm (rear height)
Weight: Base Kit 1.40kg, Bundle 1.47kg
Remapping: All keys support remapping and assigning multimedia keys (except the Fn+Esc power on combo). Up to 7 layers are supported. Real-time keymapping supported in AM Master.
Layout:
305872-1

Design

305874-2

3 new colorways, each with a distinctive inspiration. We spent a lot of time finding the perfect keycaps to match with each colorway, further emphasizing the 3 distinctive themes in case you go with the Bundle. No matter which colorway you choose, AM Compact Touch R2 will definitely stand out on your desk.

305876-3 305878-4

Donut: inspired by chocolate flavored donuts. Features touch panel engraving. Matched with Domikey × Glove × Angry Miao triple-shot ABS keycaps in the Bundle.

305880-5 305882-6

Snow Peak: a stunning contrast of a front cover finished in white e-coat and an anodized keyboard body. Matched with Domikey BOW Dye-Sub keycaps in the Bundle.

305884-7 305886-8

Blue Velocity: a Lamborghini Aventador S for your desktop. Black anodized keyboard body matched with an anodized blue front cover. The Aventador-style RGB blocker lighting matches perfectly with Angry Miao Glacier Dark keycaps (Bundle).

Adjustable Leaf Spring

305893-9

We have integrated a 2-stage adjustable leaf-spring mount in this board for up to 8 typing combos. This leaf spring mount allows you to adjust flex from soft to hard. Included are 4 stainless steel leaf-springs (harder flex), and 2 phosphorus copper leaf-springs (softer flex). Additionally, you can install a PCB pad, bottom pad (adjustment pad) and case foam to further personalize your typing experience.

Touch Panel

305895-10

When using a traditional 65% board you need to move your wrist to reach the arrow keys, but with the touch panel of AM Comapct Touch R2 all you need is a swipe with your thumb. You can also swipe and hold to simulate long pressing on an arrow key. Since most users rest their thumbs on the spacebar area while typing, the Touch Panel is there directly within reach. With the positioning of the Touch Panel, you can use a split wrist rest such as the Hover Maglev Wrist Rest. However, with its 20.4mm front height and compact size, it types comfortable without wrist rest as well.

The touch panel uses customized hardware and is integrated into the front cover together with its controller. It uses capacitive touch technology and we have upgraded the material to real glass with AM Comapct Touch R2. Exclusive with the Donut colorway, we added engraving to the touch panel.

PCB

305897-11

AM Compact Touch R2 uses a 4-layer PCB has a thickness of 1.2mm and has cut-outs for additional flex. It also has hot-swap support and integrates in-switch RGB. We plan to include an FR4 plate will be included by default but we may offer an additional POM plate as extra if the demand is there. When it comes to the internal structure, we further build upon AM Compact Touch R1's sound profile by adding a PET film.

305899-12

The RGB setup of AM Compact Touch is not just limited to in-switch RGB lighting. Blocker RGB lighting with its own separate PCB in-switch RGB is also available. Each blocker contains 4 LEDs. You can fully customize the keyboard LEDs and remap the keys through our website. Of course, AM Compact Touch R2 integrates seamlessly with AM Master, which now supports real-time keymapping.

305901-13

In addition to USB Type-C, AM Compact Touch has built-in support for Bluetooth and also support for 2.4G wireless with the AM Sniper2.4 dongle. Our tri-mode wireless supports seamless automatic switching. Wireless charging using the Qi protocol is also available.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 February 2024, 21:29:36 by Crazy Designers »
Future Art Community.

Offline DirtyGingy

Re: [IC] AM Compact Touch R2 | Adjustable Flex + Touch Panel
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 02:03:44 »
Hey, consider more gesture pads just to make the HHKB studio look worse than it already is

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 03:56:20 »
stop

Offline Necrolegion

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 10:07:12 »
Please consider a WKL option! All you'd have to change is the front piece.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 13:12:56 »
I remember the first post you guys made for the "hhkb" 65% abomination.

I wrote out here what I really feel about AM and this post, but I deleted it. There's no point.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline yingteng5010

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 15:21:21 »
What's even funnier is that they now say (in the Chinese market of course) the new HHKB studio is a copy of their idea.

I wrote out here what I really feel about AM and this post, but I deleted it. There's no point.

Offline blacksimon

• illuminati.works
    • illuminati.works
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 09:53:07 »
Dear AM,

This is a legit question.

Geekhack is a predominantly enthusiast marketplace, and your offerings are honestly not catered to that target audience.

How much actual engagement do you get from geekhack, and what is your conversion rate from posts like these?

I feel like not only is this a waste of the 100M USD investment made into your company, it is also a waste of time for everyone in this community.

Perhaps have a marketing person assess the viability of posting on this community, if I was in the marketing team, I would abstain from posts here.

If this isn't enough of a wakeup call, I'll speak to GH moderators and get actual metrics, and if it ends up that your posts here are essentially spam, I'll make sure they are treated as such.

Offline LMarci

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 10:01:59 »
This is clearly not a product intended for the enthusiasts community and therefore it shouldn't be posted on an enthusiast forum. Just go away.

Offline Cipulot

• Website
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 11:08:40 »
What's even funnier is that they now say (in the Chinese market of course) the new HHKB studio is a copy of their idea.

Which is factually not true considering that Topre own a patent approved and granted to have touch controls on keyboards that is applicable internationally, even CN, years before AM even started thinking about the AM "We can't count numbers"

Offline KeebRehab

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 21:39:53 »
Unhinged Miao

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 February 2024, 21:22:09 »
AM Compact Touch R2 is now available on our official store!

Pricing:
Snow Peak Base Kit - 398 USD
Donut / Blue Velocity Base Kit - 450 USD
Snow Peak Bundle - 498 USD
Donut / Blue Velocity Bundle - 550 USD
The Flash / Laser Front Cover - 76 USD

Purchase link:
https://store.angrymiao.com/products/am-compact-touch-65-r2
(extras are available through this link)

Custom Front Covers:
https://store.angrymiao.com/products/am-compact-touch-r1-r2-custom-front-cover
(compatible with both R1 and R2)
Future Art Community.