Author Topic: Keycool 87 Impressions  (Read 9957 times)

Offline Narcix

Keycool 87 Impressions
« on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:30:25 »
Last week i was able to sell my old iso layout qfire pro with mx reds, and i purchased a keycool 87 from qtan's store. I received it very quickly, about 1 week. Here are my impressions so far.
It was very well packaged

the keyboard was inside this box

It came with many accessories, and the 2 WoW keycaps i bought.

I chose the grey pbt version, because i couldn't find the white one. No regrets so far. The only thing i don't like is the font on the modifiers: it is slightly too big. The build quality feels very sturdy, but i cannot compare it to any other board. It has cherry mx blues, and i'm loving them so far. When i type slowly they feel a bit strange, at faster speeds they are awesome. Played a few lol matches with it, no problems at all. To be honest, i expected it to be louder  :)). The price was 108 dollars, wow keycaps included, no importation values because the signalated value was lower than the real one, yay!!!
The PBT keycaps feel very nice, a bit textured, overall very good.
I'm very happy with it so far, it was a rly good purchase!!!
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keycool 87 Impressions
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 05:06:23 »
Glad to hear it!

I like mine, which is a white one with MX reds.

At the moment I replaced my modifiers with EK RGB and GMK purple.  And EK yellow arrows :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Narcix

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 05:23:06 »
Glad to hear it!

At the moment I replaced my modifiers with EK RGB and GMK purple.  And EK yellow arrows :)
I'll surely buy some (many) keycaps in the near future, now the next target is a new gpu, so the keyboard will have to stay as it is for a few months  :))
also, some of the long keys (with stabilizers) feel a bit choppy, how can i fix that?
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2013, 06:00:19 by Narcix »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:58:12 »
Glad to hear it!

I'll surely buy some (many) keycaps in the near future, now the next target is a new gpu, so the keyboard will have to stay as it is for a few months  :))
also, some of the long keys (with stabilizers) feel a bit choppy, how can i fix that?

Remove keycaps, make sure inserts are properly inserted, carefully reseat keycaps making sure stabiliser bars are settled correctly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lexroad

• -__- lime
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 11:21:29 »
Congratulation on the keyboard :D !! How much was the declared value so that you didn't pay any import taxes what about VAT?
Keycool 84 White W/ Reds

Offline Narcix

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:09:27 »
Congratulation on the keyboard :D !! How much was the declared value so that you didn't pay any import taxes what about VAT?
25$. no vat

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 20:18:52 »
Very nice, I have the 84 LED and I'm impressed with the build, the shop I'd gotten my 84 LED from has a Keycool TKL, perhaps I ought to take a look at it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 03:50:31 »
Very nice, I have the 84 LED and I'm impressed with the build, the shop I'd gotten my 84 LED from has a Keycool TKL, perhaps I ought to take a look at it.

KeyCool 84 review here.

Offline sor

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:01:16 »
thinking of getting keycool too with mx red and white body any problem so far? especially the spacebar?(any rattle? or different feeling from ur older qfr?)
Thanks!
ESPORTS!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 21:58:54 »
thinking of getting keycool too with mx red and white body any problem so far? especially the spacebar?(any rattle? or different feeling from ur older qfr?)
Thanks!

I have both albeit QFR with MX blacks.

No more rattle than any other keyboard I have.  No squeak from the stabilisers.  Nice PBT keycaps.  No problems at all!

Offline sor

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:53:17 »
Thanks!

No more rattle than any other keyboard I have.  No squeak from the stabilisers.  Nice PBT keycaps.  No problems at all!
should i get the white keycool and the pbt keycaps with mx red?or quickfire rapid with mx red?my previous board is rk9000 mx red
ESPORTS!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 01:09:52 »
Thanks!

should i get the white keycool and the pbt keycaps with mx red?or quickfire rapid with mx red?my previous board is rk9000 mx red

Probably whichever is in stock and can be shipped to you at a reasonable price.

If both are available, then it depends whether you prefer KeyCool's PBT and legends, or QFR's ABS and legends.

Most people seem to prefer KeyCool - QFR is a little bit odd, especially those with the extra branding.

Offline sor

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:00:42 »
Thanks!

Probably whichever is in stock and can be shipped to you at a reasonable price.

If both are available, then it depends whether you prefer KeyCool's PBT and legends, or QFR's ABS and legends.

Most people seem to prefer KeyCool - QFR is a little bit odd, especially those with the extra branding.

Im here in malaysia i can get the qfr for rm265(can claim warranty 1 year, but the qfr rubber coating on its body disturb me) and the keycool shipped from china around rm210(and i can spend some on keycaps, but later on there would be warranty problem)

so im kinda torn between this two

p/s ; keycool and qfr have the same stabilizer? and how the detacable cable from both keyboard? and its mini port below both keyboard(is it fragile?)? cause imma travel alot with these to lans and tournaments

thanks for the help rowdy!
ESPORTS!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:37:59 »
You can read a bit more about KeyCool 87 here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43143.0

Both have Costar stabilisers, you can see in my comparison pics here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43143.msg920703#msg920703

Actually depending on what you think of the keycaps on the QFR, you may end up buying replacement keycaps for the QFR and not for the KeyCool.

Both have detachable cable.  I haven't especially heard that either mini USB socket is fragile, but with all devices like this you should plug and unplug carefully.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:54:32 »
CM may make pretty good keyboard in general, but the quality of their key caps leves much to be desired. I'd gotten my Storm Trigger, granted I game a lot, the WASD keys are unbelievably shiny, man, they should look into this....

Offline sor

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:08:28 »
You can read a bit more about KeyCool 87 here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43143.0

Both have Costar stabilisers, you can see in my comparison pics here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43143.msg920703#msg920703

Actually depending on what you think of the keycaps on the QFR, you may end up buying replacement keycaps for the QFR and not for the KeyCool.

Both have detachable cable.  I haven't especially heard that either mini USB socket is fragile, but with all devices like this you should plug and unplug carefully.
then i have to bought it by faith because to claim warranty so hard
thanks agani rowdy and am reading the review u link me, its gives me more trust to get it
Thanks!
ESPORTS!

Offline sor

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 01:17:40 »

rowdy hows the micro USB connector underneath the keyboard is it strong? any loosen up? last time i had rk9000 i dont like the idea of micro usb connector on the front and looks fragile..
ESPORTS!

Offline sor

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 01:40:34 »
25$. no vat
narcis how ur keyboard holding up? ;D
ESPORTS!

Offline Narcix

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 03:07:37 »
25$. no vat
narcix how ur keyboard holding up? ;D
No problems at all! Only complaint is that the keycaps are getting dirty very quickly.
The printing on some keys is starting to fade, but it's not that much of a problem.
Apart from that, it's great!

Offline sor

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 03:16:17 »
25$. no vat
narcix how ur keyboard holding up? ;D
No problems at all! Only complaint is that the keycaps are getting dirty very quickly.
The printing on some keys is starting to fade, but it's not that much of a problem.
Apart from that, it's great!
quality compare to ur qfr? ;D the force is strong on this one =)
ESPORTS!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 03:56:18 »

rowdy hows the micro USB connector underneath the keyboard is it strong? any loosen up? last time i had rk9000 i dont like the idea of micro usb connector on the front and looks fragile..

I don't plug and unplug mine very much, but so far no problems at all.

Comparing mine to QFR, it seems lighter, maybe a thinner plate?  PBT keycaps are nice, although the ABS space bar is starting to shine slightly.  Or am I getting confused with the Filco yellow keycaps I have on my QFR - that space bar is definitely starting to shine, so I put that board in reserve for a while.

Offline sor

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 04:34:31 »

I don't plug and unplug mine very much, but so far no problems at all.

Comparing mine to QFR, it seems lighter, maybe a thinner plate?  PBT keycaps are nice, although the ABS space bar is starting to shine slightly.  Or am I getting confused with the Filco yellow keycaps I have on my QFR - that space bar is definitely starting to shine, so I put that board in reserve for a while.
i hope it would last me atleast a year cause of warranty claim is going to be hard, i do take good care of my gears so yeah  :p
ESPORTS!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 04:55:32 »
I wonder if there is a short (about 5cm) USB mini male to female cable that you could leave permanently plugged in, and plug the main cable into that.

Or just try to transport it carefully with the cable attached?

Actually, the more I think about it, I think the KeyCool has a plastic shroud around where the mini USB plugs into the underneath of the keyboard (mine is at work and I am at home atm).  It kind of holds the mini USB plug into the socket on the keyboard.

Offline sor

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 05:04:29 »
I wonder if there is a short (about 5cm) USB mini male to female cable that you could leave permanently plugged in, and plug the main cable into that.

Actually, the more I think about it, I think the KeyCool has a plastic shroud around where the mini USB plugs into the underneath of the keyboard (mine is at work and I am at home atm).  It kind of holds the mini USB plug into the socket on the keyboard.
so by using the shroud it would be attach forever ?
ESPORTS!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 05:10:03 »

Er, sort of.  I'll try to remember to take a pic Monday (it is Saturday evening here atm).

It's not too tight fitting, but sort of fits into a rectangular cutout just next to where the cable plugs in.

Offline sor

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 05:32:56 »

Er, sort of.  I'll try to remember to take a pic Monday (it is Saturday evening here atm).

It's not too tight fitting, but sort of fits into a rectangular cutout just next to where the cable plugs in.
feature=player_detailpage#t=91  -   1:31
is that the thing u mention? that plastic thing.
ESPORTS!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 05:36:38 »

Yes!  And from about 3:00 where he plugs the cable in, the plastic ting fits over the cable after it has been plugged in.

Offline sor

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:06:07 »

Yes!  And from about 3:00 where he plugs the cable in, the plastic ting fits over the cable after it has been plugged in.
but he didnt put it on right? or im jus tblind?
ESPORTS!

Offline Narcix

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:23:49 »
Here. 32957-0

Offline sor

ESPORTS!

Offline sor

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 15:48:57 »

took ur word and bought it! heres some picture http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47989.0
ESPORTS!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 02:15:00 »
Congratulations!

Looks exactly like mine - they could be twins.  Oh wait, they are ;)

Offline sor

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 08:24:34 »
Congratulations!

Looks exactly like mine - they could be twins.  Oh wait, they are ;)
:thumb:
ESPORTS!