Author Topic: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I keyboard review video is up!  (Read 20085 times)

Offline Speakeazy

Hey all!
My name is Joe and this is my first time posting here. I've just become a new mechanical keyboard enthusiast about a month ago ever since my friend and I, Joanne, started our own Youtube Tech channel. I can't believe how much I've been missing by using regular keyboards all these times.

I'm hoping to learn more about them through this forum and others in the community.

So with our Tech channel, I'm the guy who records and edits all the videos for JoanneTechLover Youtube videos - https://www.youtube.com/joannetechlover

Joanne is the host, as seen below:

64655-0

We just released a review of the brand new Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid-I mechanical keyboard. What do you guys think about the keyboard? It has MX brown switches and a pretty bad-ass light show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7spyv1af8&list=UUDtH9xTCEPzpR_FJiuZ-hFQ
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:29:47 by Speakeazy »
Topre RealForce 104U dark grey caps on black | Corsair Vengeance K70 with MX Browns | (on the way) Keycool 108-keys keyboard with MX Clears and POM keys

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Hi! Thanks for making an account to advertise some crappy review.
We don't give a ****.
Buy a ducky.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
We don't give a ****.
Buy a ducky.
lol

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
We don't give a ****.
Buy a ducky.

Talk about a nice welcome here  ::) .  He maybe a stooge for some corporation yet we all hang off every corporation's announcements for their products.  Just so happens we are still waiting on their Novatouch, hence when is that coming out?

There is already too much MX keyboards about - we need some others to be released.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
We don't give a ****.
Buy a ducky.

Talk about a nice welcome here  ::) .  He maybe a stooge for some corporation yet we all hang off every corporation's announcements for their products.  Just so happens we are still waiting on their Novatouch, hence when is that coming out?

There is already too much MX keyboards about - we need some others to be released.

Except some corporations are better than others.

Offline PointyFox

Hey all!
I'm Joe, the guy who records and edits all the videos for JoanneTechLover Youtube videos - https://www.youtube.com/joannetechlover

(Attachment Link)

We just released a review of the brand new Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid-I mechanical keyboard. What do you guys think about the keyboard? It has MX brown switches and a pretty bad-ass light show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7spyv1af8&list=UUDtH9xTCEPzpR_FJiuZ-hFQ

Is there supposed to be a keyboard somewhere in that picture?

Offline Speakeazy

We don't give a ****.
Buy a ducky.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way. I didn't realize that I may have offended you and perhaps others. My friend Joanne and I just started this Youtube channel by ourselves one month ago, so we're not some corporate shills. We're enthusiasts who want to talk more about tech (well, she talks, I film & edit, haha).

I myself never used mechanical keyboards until I started working with her and within one month I have become a big fan of it, reading various forums like this and Deskthority, and visiting bunch of different sites like Maxkeyboards, WASDkeyboards, etc.

So yes, the Corsairs and Cooler Masters are my first foray in to the whole Cherry keyboards, and I'd love to learn more and try out other keyboards, whether it's ducky, Filco, DAS, or even the Kinesis Advantage.

And I'm still looking for an MX clear keyboard. So hard to find!

So I hope I wasn't stepping on your toes or anything, and I hope the rest of Geekhack community is more welcoming since I definitely want to get more involved with the mechanical keyboard community.

Best,
Joe
Topre RealForce 104U dark grey caps on black | Corsair Vengeance K70 with MX Browns | (on the way) Keycool 108-keys keyboard with MX Clears and POM keys

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
We don't give a ****.
Buy a ducky.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way. I didn't realize that I may have offended you and perhaps others. My friend Joanne and I just started this Youtube channel by ourselves one month ago, so we're not some corporate shills. We're enthusiasts who want to talk more about tech (well, she talks, I film & edit, haha).

I myself never used mechanical keyboards until I started working with her and within one month I have become a big fan of it, reading various forums like this and Deskthority, and visiting bunch of different sites like Maxkeyboards, WASDkeyboards, etc.

So yes, the Corsairs and Cooler Masters are my first foray in to the whole Cherry keyboards, and I'd love to learn more and try out other keyboards, whether it's ducky, Filco, DAS, or even the Kinesis Advantage.

So I hope I wasn't stepping on your toes or anything, and I hope the rest of Geekhack community is more welcoming since I definitely want to get more involved with the mechanical keyboard community.

Best,
Joe

Well then you should have started off with this and not some link to your youtube and a picture of an asian woman

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I, for one, will say welcome to Geekhack (not the warmest welcome, but).

Video reviews are generally a good idea, although I haven't watched this one yet.

I think the QFR-i has had a lukewarm response so far on GH, and has been largely overshadowed by the Novatouch and all its Thorpy goodness.

If the QFR-i is similar quality to QFR, Ducky might have a run for their money.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Speakeazy

Well then you should have started off with this and not some link to your youtube and a picture of an asian woman

Oh yes, you're right. I've updated the first post with your suggestion. And that Asian woman is actually Joanne, the host. I should have mentioned that also, haha.

Thanks man.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
Re: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I keyboard review video is up!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:31:38 »
We don't give a ****.
Buy a ducky.

Best,
Joe
I dont have a problem with you posting this review but you will probably get better responses from other forums such as overclock, hardforum or forum that is dedicated to gamers.

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:32:01 »
Hmm, well those are good suggestion. I myself, though, really want to explore the keyboard world, too. It's just fascinating and really opened up my eyes.

One thing I do would like to know, why is it so hard to find MX Clear keyboards around? Is it true that they're not being made anymore?
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:33:40 by Speakeazy »

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:52:58 »
Hmm, well those are good suggestion. I myself, though, really want to explore the keyboard world, too. It's just fascinating and really opened up my eyes.

One thing I do would like to know, why is it so hard to find MX Clear keyboards around? Is it true that they're not being made anymore?
They are still being made. It's just that general consumers go for black, brown or blue since these switches are usually offered by the big gaming companies (steelseries, corsair, cm and etc). You can either purchase a keyboard with clear switch like this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leopold-FC660M-Mechanical-keyboard-Cherry-MX-Clear-switches-W-White-body-/291046512169?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item43c3b95629) or you can always purchase clear switches separately and swap them out on your own. (http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=597). Anyway good luck

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:05:53 »
If you stay a while, you'll discover that to get the clear switch keyboard you are looking for, you should:

• buy a new stainless steel plate through a group buy
  • buy a pack of MX clear switches from mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • optionally buy 62g or 65g ergo springs, and switch lube from the classifieds or a vendor, then convert the switches to "ergo clear"
  • Crack open that QFR and start soldering.

BTW, I like Joanne's double-jointed fingers. Very cool. Does it help her WPM?
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:09:12 by Techno Trousers »

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:38:30 »
If you stay a while, you'll discover that to get the clear switch keyboard you are looking for, you should:

• optionally buy 62g or 65g ergo springs, and switch lube from the classifieds or a vendor, then convert the switches to "ergo clear"

Mmm, yes I have read about those ergo-clears. Seems to be better for the springs. Kinda like the Panda Clears, too, right?

Haha, I may have to find someone to do the soldering. Never done that myself.

As for Joanne's double-jointed fingers, she said she doesn't think she has double-jointed fingers, and it may have been the angle of the camera. That being said, she does type around 90-100 WPM!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:42:36 »

Mmm, yes I have read about those ergo-clears. Seems to be better for the springs. Kinda like the Panda Clears, too, right?

Haha, I may have to find someone to do the soldering. Never done that myself.

As for Joanne's double-jointed fingers, she said she doesn't think she has double-jointed fingers, and it may have been the angle of the camera. That being said, she does type around 90-100 WPM!

Its personal preference. Try out the different springs and see which one fits you. IMO people can get pretty versatile with switches and pretty much any weight can feel good after getting used to it

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:45:36 »

Its personal preference. Try out the different springs and see which one fits you. IMO people can get pretty versatile with switches and pretty much any weight can feel good after getting used to it

That's true, it is a lot about getting used to it.

Although I've seen the Cherry MX switch samplers from Maxkeyboards for brown, red, black, and blue, I haven't seen one for the less used colors. Would like to test out the Clear, Green, and Whites.

Offline tbc

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:46:50 »
wasn't there a joanne from newegg?  same one?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:49:03 »

Yup! Joanne from NewEgg. She left the company to venture out on her own. So far, we've been getting overwhelmingly positive reaction and feedback =D

Offline Sniping

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:56:59 »
Just something small that wasn't included in the review-Coolermaster switched over to micro USB because it's much more durable of a connection. Mini-USB has longevity issues for those that frequently detach their cables from the keyboard, and after a couple hundred removals, the connection from the keyboard can just die.

Hopefully we'll see more Micro USB in the future, but CM is headed in the right track by changing this flaw in the detachable cable system.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:59:34 »

Yup! Joanne from NewEgg. She left the company to venture out on her own. So far, we've been getting overwhelmingly positive reaction and feedback =D

Until you posted here :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 01:00:37 »
Just something small that wasn't included in the review-Coolermaster switched over to micro USB because it's much more durable of a connection. Mini-USB has longevity issues for those that frequently detach their cables from the keyboard, and after a couple hundred removals, the connection from the keyboard can just die.

Hopefully we'll see more Micro USB in the future, but CM is headed in the right track by changing this flaw in the detachable cable system.

That's interesting, because one of the Youtube commenters mention that it's the Micro USB connectors that can get bad connections. Personally, coming from a photography background where I regularly tether my camera to the laptop, I know that the Mini USB of the Canon DSLRs are horrid.

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 01:01:57 »

Lol, yea!! But I understand the knee-jerk reaction. After all, you guys aren't just average mainstream computer users  =)

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 01:07:55 »

Lol, yea!! But I understand the knee-jerk reaction. After all, you guys aren't just average mainstream computer users  =)

Not everyone knows whether or not you're genuine in your love for keyboards and a newbie posting a video for basically free advertisement on this site for hobbyists almost seems like spam to most people here. Sorry if we came off as harsh :s
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 01:11:57 »

Not everyone knows whether or not you're genuine in your love for keyboards and a newbie posting a video for basically free advertisement on this site for hobbyists almost seems like spam to most people here. Sorry if we came off as harsh :s

Yea, it makes sense. That's why I apologized. I've actually been lurking around the site for a couple of weeks, but never posted anything until today.

And no worries. It's all good  ;D

Offline Sniping

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 01:16:23 »

That's interesting, because one of the Youtube commenters mention that it's the Micro USB connectors that can get bad connections. Personally, coming from a photography background where I regularly tether my camera to the laptop, I know that the Mini USB of the Canon DSLRs are horrid.

You start getting a bit nervous seeing $250 keyboards break because of mini usb connectors. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52650.0

It's also a pain to fix if you don't have soldering equipment and parts on hand.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 01:17:36 »

That's the joy of Geekhack, when you try really hard to get noticed you'll get ignored.  But when you try to push something, then out come the pitch-forks and flames.

You can't pull the wool over these guys because many have already experienced a vast amount of keyboards and other input devices, hence when something is so-called NEW is released, everyone is kind of bored already.

Like I said before the next major release here would be Novatouch from CM, so anything that falls short of that (non-thorpe) shall be ignored.

You mentioned looking for MX Clears, GON has some that he always uses on his custom keyboards so here's his website ;  http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 01:21:47 »

You start getting a bit nervous seeing $250 keyboards break because of mini usb connectors. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52650.0

It's also a pain to fix if you don't have soldering equipment and parts on hand.

Oh yikes! I just read that thread. That would suck if the connector was not fixable. Glad you were able to fix it, though. Guess there's a reason why non-Phone Smartphones have all converted to micro USBs, too. Durability is a valuable thing, YOLO or not, lol.

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 03:52:12 »

That's the joy of Geekhack, when you try really hard to get noticed you'll get ignored.  But when you try to push something, then out come the pitch-forks and flames.

You can't pull the wool over these guys because many have already experienced a vast amount of keyboards and other input devices, hence when something is so-called NEW is released, everyone is kind of bored already.

Like I said before the next major release here would be Novatouch from CM, so anything that falls short of that (non-thorpe) shall be ignored.

You mentioned looking for MX Clears, GON has some that he always uses on his custom keyboards so here's his website ;  http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/

Thanks for the GON link! Wow their boards are expensive!

I'll see if Joanne and I can find out more about the Novatouch from Cooler Master. Hopefully we'll get a chance to test it out before it comes out  ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 May 2014, 03:55:45 by Speakeazy »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 04:03:37 »
Welcome to GH! =) I'm sorry two idiots were rude to you for no reason.

Pretty good review, lovely host. Much better than LinusTech's review of the QFR-I.

Enjoy your stay and good luck with finding a MX Clear board!
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 06:42:15 »
Thanks Epzy! Much appreciate it =D

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 07:00:02 »

Pretty good review, lovely host. Much better than LinusTech's review of the QFR-I.

I dont know who you are to call someone an idiot. I can see that one person in this thread came out very rude or in your word being an "idiot" but I see that you wrote two idiots, and if that include myself then its safe to say that you are the idiot here. I was simply laughing at how ridiculous and rude the1onewolf post was towards op. Maybe you should use your brain (thats if you have any) to read and think before you call someone an idiot.  :rolleyes:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 08:46:24 »
Welcome to Geekhack! I watched the review and had some comments to make. Hopefully they're helpful to you :D

Things I liked about the video:
  • Enthusiasm: It was very engaging just because of how enthusiastic she was. And it seemed pretty clear that you both are into mechanical keyboards and aren't just reviewing another piece of computer hardware.
  • Details: I liked the close up of the Brown switch and white plate as well as the indepth coverage on the lighting modes. A lot of reviews seems to gloss over those things, treating the details as if the audience doesn't care.
  • I liked that you thought of looking at everything, including the cable. Again, I think it's all the little things that count. It would've been cool to see your thoughts about the keypuller.

Things I didn't like about the video:
  • Don't say you look "retarded". It's just unprofessional and if you want to be taken seriously, you shouldn't use that or "gay" as adjectives. I don't care if that's the gaming colloquial, it's just bad form in my opinion.
  • I think you need more cons besides "I wish it was full size". If everything is perfect, it really seems like you're shilling for the company. For example, I personally don't like that QFR soft touch coating because it gathers dust and grime after long usages.
  • Repetition: Seems like everything is sick, or you're thanking CM, or you're saying "What???". Enthusiasm is great but repetition gets old in a longer video like you guys have.

Anyways, thanks for sharing and hopefully we see more reviews. It's hard to find info on things like the Rapid-I or Novatouch.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 09:18:54 »

I dont know who you are to call someone an idiot. I can see that one person in this thread came out very rude or in your word being an "idiot" but I see that you wrote two idiots, and if that include myself then its safe to say that you are the idiot here. I was simply laughing at how ridiculous and rude the1onewolf post was towards op. Maybe you should use your brain (thats if you have any) to read and think before you call someone an idiot.  :rolleyes:

Wasn't talking about you.

"Maybe you should use your brain (thats if you have any) to read and think before you call someone an idiot." =))))
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 12:17:06 »

Wasn't talking about you.

"Maybe you should use your brain (thats if you have any) to read and think before you call someone an idiot." =))))
well I don't know who else you could possibly be talking about but I guess if you say so

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 13:32:01 »
Welcome to Geekhack! I watched the review and had some comments to make. Hopefully they're helpful to you :D

Things I liked about the video:
  • Enthusiasm: It was very engaging just because of how enthusiastic she was. And it seemed pretty clear that you both are into mechanical keyboards and aren't just reviewing another piece of computer hardware.
  • Details: I liked the close up of the Brown switch and white plate as well as the indepth coverage on the lighting modes. A lot of reviews seems to gloss over those things, treating the details as if the audience doesn't care.
  • I liked that you thought of looking at everything, including the cable. Again, I think it's all the little things that count. It would've been cool to see your thoughts about the keypuller.

Things I didn't like about the video:
  • Don't say you look "retarded". It's just unprofessional and if you want to be taken seriously, you shouldn't use that or "gay" as adjectives. I don't care if that's the gaming colloquial, it's just bad form in my opinion.
  • I think you need more cons besides "I wish it was full size". If everything is perfect, it really seems like you're shilling for the company. For example, I personally don't like that QFR soft touch coating because it gathers dust and grime after long usages.
  • Repetition: Seems like everything is sick, or you're thanking CM, or you're saying "What???". Enthusiasm is great but repetition gets old in a longer video like you guys have.

Anyways, thanks for sharing and hopefully we see more reviews. It's hard to find info on things like the Rapid-I or Novatouch.

Thanks! Joanne and I appreciate your feedback. We do try to be pretty thorough with each review so we don't just gloss over basics of the product. Heck, we even did a Cherry MX switch guide for even more details and history of the Cherry MX switches (Part 1 deals with Red, Browns, and Blues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-9_B6YScD8&list=UUDtH9xTCEPzpR_FJiuZ-hFQ)/ She's been using mechanical keyboards far longer than I have.

As for the things we can improve on, I've already shown it to her and she thought they are great tips as well. It's good to hear it since sometimes the Youtube commentors praise her a lot and don't necessarily give critiques =)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 14:06:28 »
Welcome to GH. Like epzy said, sorry about the idiots.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 23:25:55 »
Welcome to GH. Like epzy said, sorry about the idiots.

Thanks! Right now, I just got the Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Browns and am loving it. I do want to try the Clears. I may want to switch out the Browns with the Clears down the line  ;D

Offline fatmav

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:38:46 »
It seems you have some trouble coming up with the cons. Here are some extra potential cons:

Inconsistency in key legends: The digit keys and the keys on the rest of the keyboard do not match. In the digits, the numerals are at the top and the shifted symbols are at the bottom. In the other keys such as [ ] ; ', they are the opposite.

Vertically stacked shifted key legends: The designer should know that the LED is at the top of the switch, and so you get uneven lighting within a key if the legends are vertically stacked. Contrast this with the horizontal layout in Code. In the video, you can clearly see how uneven this gets when a key is lit up. Try 6:33 and look at the [ key.

Using the LED to indicate lock status: The LEDs on the Capslock, PrintScreen, and ScrollLock are apparently used to indicate lock status (6:39 - 6:49). So in practice, the LED under Capslock is almost always turned off (so is the ScrollLock). In a dark room (such as at 6:49), this is very noticeable.

(Potentially a lack of the) Application key: There are two visible Windows key, but what about the Application (context menu) key? On some keyboards such as Code you can get the Application key back through the toggling of a DIP switch. Can the QFR-I do that?

Number of LED brightness levels: You mention 5. I think Code has 7. Super minor, still.

Overall, I like more reviews than no reviews. However, this review does sound a bit like an infomercial. Vendors can't grow if you don't give them honest feedback in your review.

P.S. I have no affiliation with Code or WASD. I am just an almost-happy owner of a Code Clear. You ask what we think about the keyboard. My answer: QFR-I is rather ugly.

Offline Sorun

• Chitos
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 00:42:56 »
Quickfire rapid master race  ;D

Offline feizor

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 00:49:28 »
Quickfire rapid master race  ;D

Which is?

Offline samsam

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 16:58:10 »
As e newbie , i watched this vid on youtube searching for ducky and than came across CM.
Not the first brand i think of when thinking of keyboard..

But he there is a 20% discount running on the EU site..That means i would be paying €80 for MX-brown with backlight.
A ducky would cost me €150

Size:
CM 14.1(L) *5.4(W) *1.5(H) inch
Ducky 2 TKL; 14.00" x 5.50" x 1.25"

What i would like to know is should i cough up the extra €70 / $95 And wait for the Next great thing from Ducky with backlight or not and in TKL????
The guy that sells ducky pointed me to a negative review of the "CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i" stating that it's high and both journalists had wrist pain after typing with the CM keyboard..

So please advice anyone??

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:02:58 »
As e newbie , i watched this vid on youtube searching for ducky and than came across CM.
Not the first brand i think of when thinking of keyboard..

But he there is a 20% discount running on the EU site..That means i would be paying €80 for MX-brown with backlight.
A ducky would cost me €150

Size:
CM 14.1(L) *5.4(W) *1.5(H) inch
Ducky 2 TKL; 14.00" x 5.50" x 1.25"

What i would like to know is should i cough up the extra €70 / $95 And wait for the Next great thing from Ducky with backlight or not and in TKL????
The guy that sells ducky pointed me to a negative review of the "CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i" stating that it's high and both journalists had wrist pain after typing with the CM keyboard..

So please advice anyone??

Ducky's new line of keyboards have been announced. Look up Ducky Shine 4.

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:40:06 »
By the way, I just got the Topre RealForce 104U and typing on a Topre keyboard is an absolute delight! Shame that the legends are so dark on the dark grey caps. I wish I can buy the lighter grey caps from the hi-profile series, but without the high profile.

Other things I miss but I'll live with is no LEDs and no volume/multimedia keys. But still, it's the typing equivalent of a Rolls Royce. Smooth and premium.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:42:28 »
By the way, I just got the Topre RealForce 104U and typing on a Topre keyboard is an absolute delight! Shame that the legends are so dark on the dark grey caps. I wish I can buy the lighter grey caps from the hi-profile series, but without the high profile.

Other things I miss but I'll live with is no LEDs and no volume/multimedia keys. But still, it's the typing equivalent of a Rolls Royce. Smooth and premium.

:thumb: :thumb:

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:57:27 »

Welcome to the beginning of your Geekhackery. :P

Some other cons in my opinion for the Rapid I is that if it is marketing itself next to competitors like Ducky and Filco for lighting modes, it should do something original instead of just copying the reactive lighting and various other Ducky style features. Ducky does lighting modes way better for an affordable price. Reactive lighting has a rate that you can change instead of separating it into a stupid lightning fast mode and a dim slow mode.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 June 2014, 18:14:17 by Kayla »

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 18:13:57 »
What would be awesome is to have a backlit keyboard that is lit normally in one color (say white), but have a reactive mode that changes/lights up a different color (say red).

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 18:15:06 »
If she wiggles one more fcking key when she uses the scratch-your-keys keycap puller.. Im going to flip out. lol
Shes going to end up snapping a stem. ;-;

Also the RGB Corsair keyboards and a few others will be coming out in the coming year. You will be able to program those to do what you said; the reactive multi color LEDs.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 19:09:17 »
As already said by the others, this video tastes abit too much like “thank you Cooler Master for paying me well, I love to praise your keyboard”, that over-eggs the pudding.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 June 2014, 19:16:20 by Eszett »

Offline iloveucla

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 02:00:17 »
Joanne is the host.....
Joanne is the host.....

I can only see......

Joanne is the host.... Joanne is the host.....