Author Topic: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome  (Read 992596 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome
« Reply #1000 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:28:17 »
So, I did some mockup for DSA and I don't think it looks as good as SA:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cool renders, but I think the "' key has larger legends than those.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #1001 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 08:25:11 »
So, I did some mockup for DSA and I don't think it looks as good as SA:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cool renders, but I think the "' key has larger legends than those.
It does, I've been using Gotham Rounded fonts like the others and have just been slowly fixing the legends bit by bit. I'll update everything I can this holiday break from cap models to legends. :)

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline MyGreatDevastator

• Destroy Cancer
« Reply #1002 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 13:55:56 »
I've been a lurker for awhile, and was playing around with a design inspired by Rogue Squadron last night, and then saw pictures of the carbon set this morning and realized it was very similar. And that I missed it. bummer.
If I could find a black and orange rebel key that would be awesome though.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #1003 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 15:54:03 »
I've been a lurker for awhile, and was playing around with a design inspired by Rogue Squadron last night, and then saw pictures of the carbon set this morning and realized it was very similar. And that I missed it. bummer.
Show Image

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76080.0

:-X
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline MyGreatDevastator

• Destroy Cancer
« Reply #1004 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 16:38:13 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76080.0

:-X

Oh damn, and way more thought out! Looks good man! I can't keep up with all that's going on, but now I'll be following this as well. Best of luck in getting this together!

Offline TheWhiteAndTheBlue

« Reply #1005 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 13:33:13 »
Very new at this whole keycap design thing but I thought in honor of Mr. Bowie, an idea for Ziggy Stardust:

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1006 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:58:21 »
Very new at this whole keycap design thing but I thought in honor of Mr. Bowie, an idea for Ziggy Stardust:

Show Image

Looks cool regardless of recent events

Might need to work on making it look good on a full size and tkl board though

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1007 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 04:03:51 »
I would really like a decent set of reasonably thick PBT keycaps for ALPS keyboards, so you don't have to use those adapters which are pricey and wobbly.

The only options are to use keys from the Apple Extended Keyboard, but they use a very unique font and many of the keys are a special size that won't fit other keyboards. There is also the old Bigfoot/Granites but they can be expensive and hard to find, and for some reason also use an italic font!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1008 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:11:37 »
Show Image

Go with orange caps / white legends on the alphas and I'd be all over that.  Plus, it more closely represents the colors of the rebel pilot outfits which were mostly orange with a bit of white.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1009 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 00:50:54 »
Goofing around tonight for some reason. 

First, one of my dream sets that I doubt I will ever see get made, GMK 2B and 3C mods with N9 legends and L9 alphas with CC legends:

This next one I call Skeletor.  GMK UN 6037 (cyan) alphas with UN5046 (purple) legends and inverted mods with the Esc being UN5046 on CV and the Enter UN5046 on AE.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #1010 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 04:50:09 »
GMK 2B and 3C mods with N9 legends and L9 alphas with CC legends:

Show Image

That's so Irish. Nice.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1011 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 07:01:42 »

First, one of my dream sets that I doubt I will ever see get made, GMK 2B and 3C mods with N9 legends and L9 alphas with CC legends:

Show Image

This next one I call Skeletor.  GMK UN 6037 (cyan) alphas with UN5046 (purple) legends and inverted mods with the Esc being UN5046 on CV and the Enter UN5046 on AE.

Show Image

gmk cream cheese?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1012 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 09:00:21 »
No, it's a bit different from CCnG.  Basically it's OG Cherry alphas with a lighter legend and, for lack of a better description, a pastel military green (pastel olive green?) mods and eraser pink Enter and Esc.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1013 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 03:38:19 »
No, it's a bit different from CCnG.  Basically it's OG Cherry alphas with a lighter legend and, for lack of a better description, a pastel military green (pastel olive green?) mods and eraser pink Enter and Esc.

Nice! Could definitely be possible with the lower MOQ's that are now in effect (150)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1014 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 23:30:52 »

Show Image

Show Image

I'm digging Skeletor even more than Manly Unicorn (though, seriously, that needs to be made into an adult cartoon).

Offline TehKitteh

« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 13:23:35 »

Show Image

Show Image

Wow, Skeletor looks so great :eek:

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #1016 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:19:33 »
This may already be something, no idea really, just messing around with some GMK colors..

V1, L9 & CC
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:02:57 by Pwner »

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #1017 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:03:47 »
This may already be something, no idea really, just messing around with some GMK colors..

Show Image

V1, L9 & CC

It's almost like a Darth Maul set (I probably think that because of your avatar), but for some reason also reminds me of strawberries.

I shouldn't be up this late.  :'(

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #1018 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:05:11 »

Show Image

V1, L9 & CC

It's almost like a Darth Maul set (I probably think that because of your avatar), but for some reason also reminds me of strawberries.

Darth Strawberries  ;D

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #1019 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:05:41 »

Show Image

V1, L9 & CC

Darth Strawberries  ;D

That works perfectly.  :thumb:

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #1020 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 14:02:17 »

Show Image

V1, L9 & CC

pretty sick scheme but I'm wondering how it'd look with all white legends to go with the escape and enter. For better visibility also.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1021 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 21:00:24 »
edit - snip
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 January 2017, 14:27:48 by csmertx »

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #1022 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 21:59:21 »
Does anyone know a good tutorial on how to make simple renders like these?

I have an idea for a SP set, and like that this shows the spherical profile, but I haven't been able to find anything that accounts for the gradient the keys have. I've only been able to find a couple on r/keycapdesigners and the templates SP has aren't as nice as these, imo.
Thanks in advance

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1023 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 04:33:36 »
edit - snip
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 January 2017, 14:27:08 by csmertx »

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #1024 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 04:01:22 »

Show Image

V1, L9 & CC

pretty sick scheme but I'm wondering how it'd look with all white legends to go with the escape and enter. For better visibility also.

Something like this?

I actually quite like that.  I'll probably start this up once I get my current set finished up and see where this goes.

Show Image

I have an idea for a SP set, and like that this shows the spherical profile, but I haven't been able to find anything that accounts for the gradient the keys have. I've only been able to find a couple on r/keycapdesigners and the templates SP has aren't as nice as these, imo.
Thanks in advance

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/

Need any help using it, shoot me a PM.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1025 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 14:36:26 »

Show Image

V1, L9 & CC

Something like this?

Show Image

I actually quite like that.  I'll probably start this up once I get my current set finished up and see where this goes.

Show Image

Thanks in advance

The white legends make it look so clean, I like that too

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #1026 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 17:39:24 »

Show Image

V1, L9 & CC

Something like this?

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks in advance

I meant something more stylistic that shows spherical profiles and fonts better, but KLE should suffice for when I get the IC started

Offline Rad

« Reply #1027 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 01:09:59 »
Leather/denim/velvet/glass key cap
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 01:12:27 by Rad »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1028 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 01:26:34 »
Leather/denim/velvet/glass key cap

A few people have tried glass, I'm not sure if anything consistent came of it though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #1029 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 23:36:41 »
A keycap shaped and coloured like a square of Cadbury milk chocolate.
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1030 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 23:33:31 »
A keycap shaped and coloured like a square of Cadbury milk chocolate.

DSA Retro is pretty close: http://keypuller.com/dsa-retro/

And a different profile, but more chocolatey is the IC for Chocolatier: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79722.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PQStarLord

« Reply #1031 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 06:24:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

I would 100% buy the skeletor one. I would probably prefer it with just the two main colours though.

Offline Morituri

« Reply #1032 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 14:34:14 »
I want somebody to make this arrow cluster.  Isn't that much nicer than the inverted-T?

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 June 2016, 14:38:26 by Morituri »
We're going to solve strong AI.  Then it's going to solve us.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1033 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 02:23:11 »
And what are you going to put it on? I can only imagine a custom board.

Offline Morituri

« Reply #1034 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 09:39:19 »
Well, yes.  I do in fact cut my own plates.

I want the same four keys, incidentally, for an 8-direction keypad; they'd just be oriented "normally" so they'd point in the 45-degree directions. 
We're going to solve strong AI.  Then it's going to solve us.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #1035 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 21:49:11 »

Show Image

Love this idea.  :thumb:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #1036 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 01:22:03 »
I posted this on the keycap designer subreddit but I thought I'd post it here to to get as much feedback as possible. It's a concept for a DSA set based on the color palette of the sword from Transistor. I used SP ABS colors (BEY/GTA/RA for caps, BFQ/YBP/NN for legends) to make it.

143889-0

Thoughts?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1037 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 02:09:44 »
I posted this on the keycap designer subreddit but I thought I'd post it here to to get as much feedback as possible. It's a concept for a DSA set based on the color palette of the sword from Transistor. I used SP ABS colors (BEY/GTA/RA for caps, BFQ/YBP/NN for legends) to make it.

(Attachment Link)

Thoughts?
Loving everything but the red.
I'd probably use a more faded red color myself.

Offline CharismaIllya

« Reply #1038 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 02:32:02 »

(Attachment Link)

Thoughts?
Loving everything but the red.
I'd probably use a more faded red color myself.

Yeah I've been bouncing back and fourth on what red to use. Here's a mockup with the darkest red that SP has for ABS keys.

143897-0

And here's a link to SP's red color chips.

http://keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/absred.JPG

RA was my initial, so now it's a tossup between RAC and RAS. Is it a little better like this?
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 July 2016, 02:33:40 by CharismaIllya »

Offline thatmiddleway

« Reply #1039 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 10:10:35 »
I'd love to see an IG-88 (star wars bounty hunter) key.

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #1040 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 14:25:32 »
I really want an Automotive themed set. This is the first set i've ever done and I call it DSA Ferrari.

Escape key is placeholder for a prancing horse. I don't know how to do custom keycaps at this time.

-Axiomatik

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #1041 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 22:26:46 »
Hi everyone. I havent seen a custom key-SET for dota 2
juggernaut is awesome and he won the arcana contest just recently so...

I want novelties to have logos of juggernaut's skills :))

I was also thinking about putting in some green in tribute to the old juggernaut (from dota 1)

INSERT ITS SOMETHING MEME HERE  ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 August 2016, 22:39:05 by potatobot »

Offline zslane

« Reply #1042 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 01:37:49 »
Introducing the HERMES Rocketeer SA keyset

146157-0

This keyset is inspired by the classic Hermes Rocket typewriter made famous throughout the 20th century by countless novelists and journalists. The Hermes Rocket, along with the numerous other ultra-portable typewriters of the era, was the laptop of its day. This is the keyset to draw out your inner Hemmingway.

This would be a keyset exclusively for 60% keyboards and smaller. It is pretty much composed of a single color, with only a few keys in an alternate color. The alternate color keys, which are the bottom row modifiers and the Return key, represent those keys that would not have had a functional equivalent on a Hermes Rocket typewriter, and they all feature novelty legends. In all, there are 9 themed novelty keys that evoke the mechanical design of the Rocket.

The plan would be to offer ANSI and ISO sets, with strong international child kit support and support for all the popular alternate layouts for small keyboards (Atomic, Plank, etc.). In an ideal world, this set would be combined with a group buy for aluminum cases in seafoam green as shown below. In fact, without a seafoam green case, I'm not sure the keyset is worth doing because the case is what really ties the entire color scheme together and completes the Hermes Rocket look.

146159-1

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1043 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 11:56:41 »
Dammit, zslane!  I thought I was done with caps after the Dasher/Dancer sets but that one looks pretty tempting.  At least I won't have to worry about buying it until next year... and probably receive them in 2018.

Actually, I'm curious.  If matt3o's PBT spherical caps work out, this design could work on those caps as a dyesub set.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 August 2016, 11:58:27 by Niomosy »

Offline zslane

« Reply #1044 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 12:53:03 »
My only reservation with Matt3o's M3 dyesub caps (which I am presuming will have a matte finish) is that they won't quite look right, in my view. SP's double-shot SA keycaps more closely resemble the semi-gloss double-shot keys on the Hermes Rocket.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1045 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 13:01:12 »
Fair enough.  Thought it a possibility and figured I would ask.

Offline mathilda

« Reply #1046 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 17:21:17 »
Your set looks great zslane. What do icons on novelty caps mean?

By the way, would you mind telling me where to download that "Groton Modified" font?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1047 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 17:26:33 »
Introducing the HERMES Rocketeer SA keyset

(Attachment Link)

This keyset is inspired by the classic Hermes Rocket typewriter made famous throughout the 20th century by countless novelists and journalists. The Hermes Rocket, along with the numerous other ultra-portable typewriters of the era, was the laptop of its day. This is the keyset to draw out your inner Hemmingway.

This would be a keyset exclusively for 60% keyboards and smaller. It is pretty much composed of a single color, with only a few keys in an alternate color. The alternate color keys, which are the bottom row modifiers and the Return key, represent those keys that would not have had a functional equivalent on a Hermes Rocket typewriter, and they all feature novelty legends. In all, there are 9 themed novelty keys that evoke the mechanical design of the Rocket.

The plan would be to offer ANSI and ISO sets, with strong international child kit support and support for all the popular alternate layouts for small keyboards (Atomic, Plank, etc.). In an ideal world, this set would be combined with a group buy for aluminum cases in seafoam green as shown below. In fact, without a seafoam green case, I'm not sure the keyset is worth doing because the case is what really ties the entire color scheme together and completes the Hermes Rocket look.

(Attachment Link)

You inspire me zslane :) I really like the renders, case, and set design

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1048 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 17:30:01 »
I want a Thwomp block keycap.

Make it happen talented people.

Offline zslane

« Reply #1049 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 19:31:45 »
Your set looks great zslane. What do icons on novelty caps mean?

By the way, would you mind telling me where to download that "Groton Modified" font?

Re: Rocketeer novelty legends:
Top row (L-to-R): Margin release, Backspace, (mechanical) carriage return arm
Bottom row (L-to-R): (margin) control pin (L), rocket logo, ribbon spool (L), ribbon spool (R), ribbon color selector, (margin) control pin (R)

Re: font
I don't use Groton Modified for my renders. No digital representation of it is known to exist. I use a combination of Gotham Rounded and Arial Rounded instead.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 14:37:53 by zslane »