Author Topic: Mod IKBC MF108 with Holetites?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline iammeuru

Mod IKBC MF108 with Holetites?
« on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 03:45:25 »
tl;dr- Can an IKBC MF108 be simply modified to have switch replaceable socketting? Do you see a problem desoldering switches and installing holetites?

So, I've been lurking a bit in the recent past, and I can't seem to find an full ansi-104 kit I really love. everything available now has exposed switch sides, and lights up, or something similar. I want simple, subdued, etc, but since I'm new, I'm trying out basically every switch I can get my hands on. I'm using a GMMK to test stuff, but tbh, while it's great for the task, I can't stand the style.

I received my IKBC MF108 RGB V.2 today, and I'm in love with it. It has Cherry Reds, and they're "meh" at best. I have plenty of other switches I've ordered, and want to try, so I want the thing to be modular. I'm considering buying holetites, and making the thing modular. Can anyone see a problem with this? I have no idea before I get it apart if its going to fit them, and no idea if it's a PITA to get holetites into a PCB which already had a switch soldered in. Can anyone see a problem with doing this? Any hurdles I might not expect if I were to just build something?

I could always build one of the few kits out there, and have someone mill me a case for it, but I know the cost is higher, and I think I generally like this board.

FWIW, I pre-ordered a ducky shine 7 YOTD, and some caps to replace the disgusting looking things it'll ship with (IMO they're not pretty, and are merely a collector's item), and if this works on the IKBC MF108, I'd probably try it on that too. Thoughts?