Author Topic: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears  (Read 117026 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:59:55 »
it's the switch i think

backspace is one of my most used keys, but spacebar is fine

how strange

it's just backspace, not enter now that I test it again

I'll update if I figure out what's up, I'm gonna do a teardown
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ThomasBastiani

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 16:19:17 »
after a month my backspace and enter keys are squeaking pretty badly

so that's a thing
Tell me about it. It drives me up the wall! I thought that lubing the switches/stabilizers would fix it. I haven't tried yet though.

Offline Th3KAS

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:41:13 »
I've noticed that the MX Clears on my KUL seem to be more tactile on the upstroke than the downstroke, has anybody else noticed this?
HHKB | Model M | KUL MX Clear

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:45:16 »
that's just a thing with clears
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline TBone

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:47:34 »
I've noticed that the MX Clears on my KUL seem to be more tactile on the upstroke than the downstroke, has anybody else noticed this?

That's why I love clears! It's so satisfying, but it would be interesting to have a clear with no up bump!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:48:46 »
with the way mx switches work that's physically impossible

but a cool idea nonetheless

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:52:15 »

that's just a thing with clears

Both of my boards with clears have a similar sensation, though it's more noticeable with the stock clears. The 65g clears are more tactile on the downstroke but the upstroke feels the same as the stock clears. 65g clear downstroke tacticality seems to be almost exactly even with upstroke tacticality whereas stock clear downstroke is noticeably less tactile than the upstroke.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:42:55 »
Has anybody tried 62g springs on this board yet?
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:44:02 »

That's why I love clears! It's so satisfying, but it would be interesting to have a clear with no up bump!

That would probably be similar to black ALPS. I prefer the two-way tactility of the clears.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 22:05:36 »
Has anybody tried 62g springs on this board yet?

I will when I get some 62g springs

they're really hard to find right now for some reason

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 22:21:19 »
Appreciate the review. Looks like a solid board.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 23:53:16 »
How do you like the feel of the clears? Are they basically blues without the click sound?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 00:30:53 »
How do you like the feel of the clears? Are they basically blues without the click sound?

Not at all, they are stiff similar to browns but with a much bigger bump.

Offline TBone

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 09:47:06 »

I like them, but there is no drop in actuation force like the blues, hence the click feel, similar to that of a pen.

My next board will probably be Blues, but I'm glad I picked up some Clears first.

Offline TBone

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 23:19:50 »
Just did the clip mod on this board's space bar and holy moly is it awesome. Feels so solid. I'll post a video of before and after with my DSA set after I complete the rest of the keys. I'll try and take some tutorial pics too if anyone wants, just let me know. It is pretty tricky with cherry plate mounted stabs, at least for a noob to modding.  :p

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 23:21:46 »
I "gots mines" today, typing on it now. Great board so far for the price, I like the multimedia controls too. I finally uninstalled 3rvx, heh. Thanks again for your review, Eyesmiles.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 00:29:56 »
Just did the clip mod on this board's space bar and holy moly is it awesome. Feels so solid. I'll post a video of before and after with my DSA set after I complete the rest of the keys. I'll try and take some tutorial pics too if anyone wants, just let me know. It is pretty tricky with cherry plate mounted stabs, at least for a noob to modding.  :p
I wouldn't mind some pics.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:25:06 »

What exactly is a clip mod?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline TBone

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:58:02 »

You clip and file down these feet on the bottom of Cherry stabilizers that are designed to absorb impact on the PCB. They are very unnecessary on any modern boards, especially plate mounted, and just make the stabilizer feel sluggish and a little heavy at the bottom. Clip them off and flatten the bottom and the stabilizers feel better than Costar stabilizers.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 11:59:29 »

You clip and file down these feet on the bottom of Cherry stabilizers that are designed to absorb impact on the PCB. They are very unnecessary on any modern boards, especially plate mounted, and just make the stabilizer feel sluggish and a little heavy at the bottom. Clip them off and flatten the bottom and the stabilizers feel better than Costar stabilizers.

Nice, good to keep in mind if I order one. Thanks!

Btw.. why is it so difficult to pull caps with these cherry stabs? I am thinking about ordering one sooner or later, but I most definitely want blank caps.

Offline TBone

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 13:04:24 »
Nice, good to keep in mind if I order one. Thanks!

Btw.. why is it so difficult to pull caps with these cherry stabs? I am thinking about ordering one sooner or later, but I most definitely want blank caps.

Look at Grendel's message here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53113.msg1183206#msg1183206, there are little tabs on the sides of clear stems where the keycap goes on. This makes it a little tighter. If you have a wire puller this shouldn't be an issue, but people have pulled stems out when being careless/pulling like they are Reds/Blues/etc.

IIRC, Cherry added it because Clears were designed for industrial situations where they didn't want keycaps falling off in case of drops.

Offline TBone

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 13:04:47 »
edit

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:18:19 »
Finally tried this board. MX Clears are.... interesting. At first, they seemed really weighty to me, but I think I'm kind of used to it. I'll give it another week to see if I still like them. I think right now, I still prefer MX Brown switches to Clear, but they might grow on me after a while. I also still prefer costar stabs on my Filco since these Cherry ones feel pretty mushy. It would be interesting to see how clipped stabs would feel. I think I would really like 62g springs on these but 1. I have never used a soldering iron, so I think I'll have to get somebody to do that mod for me, and 2. It doesn't seem like these are easy to get ATM.

All in all, build quality is pretty good. This thing is sturdy. I love the cable channels in the back and the fact that the cable is also removable. I'll probably end up replacing the stock keycaps, but they still feel quite nice. Although, I'm not a big fan of feeling the lasered legends when I type.

I think for me to fully enjoy this keyboard, I'll have to do all the above mods, then it will be perfect. :)

Anyway, that's my two cents.
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 16:53:22 »
About that removable cable :

Is the mini USB connector attached to case itself or is it only held in by the pins (like in my CODE keyboard ... which is not kûl) ?

Offline TBone

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 17:11:37 »
About that removable cable :

Is the mini USB connector attached to case itself or is it only held in by the pins (like in my CODE keyboard ... which is not kûl) ?

I can check when I get home, I have mine taken apart currently.

Offline TBone

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 21:11:44 »
Ok so the USB connector is connected to the case to a little chip that has four screws connecting it to the case, looks pretty solid. But the connector does look like it is soldered to the little pcb chip. I really don't want to take it off right now to further investigate but it does seem much more solid than my Ducky Shine I when I compare.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 03:27:21 »
KUL just announced some new case colors.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 03:42:18 »
Nice!

Only minor complaint for me is that the side is still black, but I guess I won't see this anyway while using the board.

Hopefully they also offer more switch choices for these versions.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 05:08:31 »
Ok so the USB connector is connected to the case to a little chip that has four screws connecting it to the case, looks pretty solid. But the connector does look like it is soldered to the little pcb chip. I really don't want to take it off right now to further investigate but it does seem much more solid than my Ducky Shine I when I compare.

That's what I thought.

It looks like the same "bad design" :(

Plugging / unplugging the cord on this KUL keyboard could also break the mini USB connector. I just hope being wrong.

(potato pic I found there)

(this pic comes from eyesmiles - thank you by the way !)

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 July 2014, 05:24:41 by Lpwl »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 06:56:32 »

Show Image

Holy cr*p white... White KB with Clears. When are they available? I want one  :eek:

Offline dante

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 07:51:18 »
FC700R ruined white cases for me - the paint job was crap.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 07:55:54 »

What happened?

Offline dante

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 07:59:18 »

What happened?

I scratched mine with no effort. 

Offline TBone

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 08:58:32 »
Aww **** I hope they offer those cases separately, I'd be in to buy all three if I didn't have to buy a new keyboard!  :p

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:23:34 »

What happened?

I scratched mine with no effort.

I also have the FC700R in white and it stills looks like new.

Whatever you made to scratch yours would probably have scratched any other board as well...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 16:25:11 »

Show Image

MUH WALLET

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 17:50:03 »
Nice, excited about a high quality TKL in white. These are my new favorite stock boards. Wonder if Brian will stock these. Interesting the pics show blank caps as well, wonder if that was just for the look in the pic.

EDIT***  From their facebook page.
How about a colorful top case for your ES-87? Coming this Summer from KUL!

Looks like it is just the case, I asked on FB for clarity will report back.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 July 2014, 17:55:34 by lightsout714 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 17:58:29 »
if i can buy one as just a topcase my wallet is gonna be sad

i just spend $200 on a new jacket :(

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 05:29:56 »

Show Image

Where did you find this? I am googling my *ss off but can't find it anywhere..

Offline TBone

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 08:47:37 »

Show Image

Where did you find this? I am googling my *ss off but can't find it anywhere..

Keyed Up Labs Facebook page.

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 10:18:16 »
Excited for that white case top - hopefully they're reasonably priced!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 16:32:07 »
Excited for that white case top - hopefully they're reasonably priced!

I'm buying a red one either way lol

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 16:55:51 »
Mother****

Okay I'll get one in blue.
I love Elzy

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 02:29:03 »
I wonder if these top cases would fit onto a QFR or Filco. That would certainly expand their target audience for the top case

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 02:33:59 »
I wonder if these top cases would fit onto a QFR or Filco. That would certainly expand their target audience for the top case

It doesn't look like it will fit anything else because of the way the sides of the KUL ES-87 are.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 07:22:03 »
I dunno, it looks kinda like the black part of the sides is just the bottom part of the case.  Can't tell for sure tho

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 15:28:59 »
I dunno, it looks kinda like the black part of the sides is just the bottom part of the case.  Can't tell for sure tho

it is

as far as i can tell the KUL's topcase doesn't work with my Filco boards

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:28:18 »
Damn.. would have been nice if you could pop the top of a QFR off and slide one of these on!

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 00:23:05 »
I just ordered one from EK.  Looking forward to comparing the MX clears to my reds.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 01:56:08 »
Yeah, I also want to try a KUL!

Only positive responses until now, but I want to wait for a MX Blue version.

Does anybody know whether other MX switches are planned for the future?