Author Topic: Gateron Teardown  (Read 89050 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Gateron Teardown
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:08:42 »
Yes, 1.3 Chinese Yuan equals 0.18 Euro

Considering that a cherry switch costs about 0,55 eur, you need to buy more than 50 switches to even consider the gaterons. Plus the cost of the proxy (maybe it was included).
proxy cost was 10%
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:15:38 »
Damn those Gateron black seems interesting .
I love my mx blacks but something slightly lighter and smoother is exactly what I'm looking for . Can't wait to try them on Varmillo switch tester .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:31:58 »
How much did you pay?
Cost of the switches / each piece
Delivery
Taxes

From which vendor did you buy? Please add a link.
I got them at ¥1.30 from loveq on Taobao. I used Taobao Focus as a proxy, international shipping was almost $20

Thanks for the vendor link hwood. I've been trying to track down some Gaterons as a cheaper alternative to clear switch housings from an RGB board... but I'm terrible at navigating Taobao. ;D
Luckily the biggest seller of them had part of the title in english :p . But you have to jump on them when they're in stock, they sell out pretty quickly

I better keep a close eye on this page then! :o

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:41:17 »
Everyone joining the bandwagon. Chu chuu~~
#LinearGaterons2k15
between your build log and this thread, i seriously think I will get these for my kustom build. i mean, better than lubed vintage blacks? that's as big an endorsement as can be

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 11:27:11 »
hwood, awesome work! This must be the most important review to have come out in the past few months!

My personal view: looks like I was correct about the leafs being copper. That was the easiest way to save money, and the manufacturer did it. I am extremely disappointed, because it seems that most other things about Gateron are very positive.

Leafs being copper will decrease the life of this switch greatly, especially in a humid environment.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 11:49:25 »
I ordered a bunch of 35g (presumably Gateron) springs off MD.  Wondering if anyone here has some and can test if they will work with unlubed clears.

I would assume that 35g is too light and will have struggles with pushing on the upstroke.

Hwood looks like you didn't get any of the reds, so don't know if this applies.  Would you mind trying with one of those 50g bottom out springs?

But on a similar note...any way to tell if Gateron springs are stainless steel?
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 12:16:50 by Defect »

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 12:17:41 »
The main issue with MX clones appears to be consistency... what are your thoughts on the consistency of the switches within your sample?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 13:06:08 »
The main issue with MX clones appears to be consistency... what are your thoughts on the consistency of the switches within your sample?
Well with the small batch I have I haven't noticed and inconsistency. All the blues click evenly and the blacks all feel the same.

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 14:44:11 »
I have faith in Gateron. Taiwanese founded company running their plant in China. They import their plastics from Switzerland and it's apparent in the switch tops.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 17:23:59 »
I ordered a bunch of 35g (presumably Gateron) springs off MD.  Wondering if anyone here has some and can test if they will work with unlubed clears.

I would assume that 35g is too light and will have struggles with pushing on the upstroke.

Hwood looks like you didn't get any of the reds, so don't know if this applies.  Would you mind trying with one of those 50g bottom out springs?

But on a similar note...any way to tell if Gateron springs are stainless steel?

It's not that 35g struggles with upstroke..

It's that @ <40g  the weight of your hand/fingers may trigger the key past 2mm travel..

which is why they use 45g..

You also have to take into account that all of these springs will lose ~ 5g over time..

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:00:26 »
Sorry but TP, how do springs lose weight over time? If I could do that for myself I would be pretty happy.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:03:37 »
Sorry but TP, how do springs lose weight over time? If I could do that for myself I would be pretty happy.

As you compress the springs over the course of a long time, they will become slightly "shorter" from all the squishing. That's why "vintage" blacks usually have softer springs than stock blacks.

Offline aceps00

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 07:14:45 »
Would love to give these a try, thanks for the write up  :thumb:
Type Heaven / IBM Model M

Offline iTzi

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 12:22:40 »
Nice review for nice switches !
Do you feel any difference in the noise level between Cherry blue and Gateron blue ?
Boards :

Keycool 87/MX Red            AT&T KBD 305-FR/Buckling

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:28:21 »
Nice review for nice switches !
Do you feel any difference in the noise level between Cherry blue and Gateron blue ?
The sounds is pretty similar, though the MX blues are a little more plasticy sounding

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 16:17:56 »
From what I've heard Cherry Ergo-Clears have a tendency to get stuck with lighter spring, would the smoother stem help with that?

I'm looking into Ergos because Browns' bump feels too small and I don't like heavy switches(I thought about using Blue spring).
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 18:05:03 »
From what I've heard Cherry Ergo-Clears have a tendency to get stuck with lighter spring, would the smoother stem help with that?

I'm looking into Ergos because Browns' bump feels too small and I don't like heavy switches(I thought about using Blue spring).
A smoother stem might help, but I think for the most part the problem would remain. And thanks to Poly for reminding me that Gateron clears are linear. The only tactile switches Gateron makes are browns
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 January 2015, 07:46:58 by hwood34 »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 07:44:22 »

These Gateron "Clears" are actually linear, like Reds and Blacks.

I can highly recommend ErgoClears with 62g springs! They're by far my favourite MX switch. 62g springs work fine on brand new, stock, unlubed switches without causing any sticking and they just feel even better with worn in and lubed stems :) You can "shave" new Clear stems by scraping the mold lines smooth. It makes them less "scratchy" and reduces the time they take to wear in.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 07:50:29 »
Just in case people haven't seen it yet, here's the IC for a Gateron buy

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 13:29:54 »

I can highly recommend ErgoClears with 62g springs! They're by far my favourite MX switch. 62g springs work fine on brand new, stock, unlubed switches without causing any sticking and they just feel even better with worn in and lubed stems :) You can "shave" new Clear stems by scraping the mold lines smooth. It makes them less "scratchy" and reduces the time they take to wear in.

Where would you recommend picking up 62g springs at a good price? I'm looking to build an ergo clear board.

Offline justordinary

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 13:36:28 »
Since the gateron leaf is a little different, if you swap gateron black stems into a cherry housing, does it still feel as good as it is on the gateron housing?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 16:02:16 »
Since the gateron leaf is a little different, if you swap gateron black stems into a cherry housing, does it still feel as good as it is on the gateron housing?

The smoothness found in Gateron switches is the combination of the smooth stem + housing. Putting a Gateron stem into a Cherry housing will still be smooth -- just not as smooth as in the original housing.

Where would you recommend picking up 62g springs at a good price? I'm looking to build an ergo clear board.

I sell a variety of springs on my site if you're interested.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 18:52:26 »
Can a Gateron be opened while mounted in an enthusiast plate that has cutouts that would allow mounted Cherry MX switches to be opened without desoldering ?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:03:53 »
Can a Gateron be opened while mounted in an enthusiast plate that has cutouts that would allow mounted Cherry MX switches to be opened without desoldering ?

Yes. I've opened one up with switch tools with no problem.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 01:51:41 »

The smoothness found in Gateron switches is the combination of the smooth stem + housing. Putting a Gateron stem into a Cherry housing will still be smooth -- just not as smooth as in the original housing.

Cool! Do you just sell gold springs or normal ones as well? Also do you ship to UK?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 02:20:52 »

Cool! Do you just sell gold springs or normal ones as well? Also do you ship to UK?

My inventory is mostly gold springs. I do have a bag of 60g & 62g standard SS springs though.
I also ship worldwide. :)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 03:53:02 »

My inventory is mostly gold springs. I do have a bag of 60g & 62g standard SS springs though.

I can't find those standard springs on your site. What do I have to do to buy them?

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 03:55:49 »
whoops nvm

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 04:32:08 »

I can't find those standard springs on your site. What do I have to do to buy them?

PM'd

Offline snipars

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 08:04:22 »
this is some exciting stuff, especially if the linear switches are as nice as they're said to be 
although there's the question of how durable they are and what kind of rate of failure they have. I really hope gaterons turn out to be a cheap MX killer
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 14:26:18 »
Couple questions, would these switches fit on my ducky zero shine? And blacks are most like cherry vintage blacks right? And which switch would most be like mx green?

Offline hking0036

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 16:13:15 »
this is some exciting stuff, especially if the linear switches are as nice as they're said to be 
although there's the question of how durable they are and what kind of rate of failure they have. I really hope gaterons turn out to be a cheap MX killer
I hope that they make cherry innovate more than anything. I'm glad to have more competition, it means that the quality can only go up. That said, I also hope that they can stick to one stem, although I'm sure the romer-g's and such use them for a reason I think that it'll just get confusing if you have eleventeen different types of key caps to buy. Only time will tell, though.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 16:15:56 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 16:26:05 »
Quality can go down to keep price as low as possible too. That's what happened in the 90's anyway.

Weren't all sorts of Gateron switches a part of the Varmillo switch tester drop on MD?

Also, is Gateron the same thing as Gaote? Probably not...?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 19:10:59 »
Couple questions, would these switches fit on my ducky zero shine? And blacks are most like cherry vintage blacks right? And which switch would most be like mx green?
Yes, yes, and Gateron doesn't currently manufacture a heavy clicky switch, so your best bet would be blues.

Quality can go down to keep price as low as possible too. That's what happened in the 90's anyway.

Weren't all sorts of Gateron switches a part of the Varmillo switch tester drop on MD?

Also, is Gateron the same thing as Gaote? Probably not...?
Yeah, you could get a regular MX tester, or one which either was just gaterons or a bunch of different MX compatible switches that included gaterons (forget). And Gateron and Gaote are two different things, yes.

Offline ablooga

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:33:57 »
is there a keyboard that uses these switches? or do you have to just buy the switches separelyly

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 15:51:30 »
is there a keyboard that uses these switches? or do you have to just buy the switches separelyly
The only one that I've seen using them is a custom keyboard, I forgot which one though. But no big brand stock keyboard come with them yet

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 01:44:49 »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2015, 03:21:36 by Eszett »

Offline Magna224

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 03:35:42 »

As you compress the springs over the course of a long time, they will become slightly "shorter" from all the squishing. That's why "vintage" blacks usually have softer springs than stock blacks.

I have "essentially brand new" vintage MX blacks not worn in and they are much smoother than MX blacks you find in modern keyboards. Its not just the usage!
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 08:33:51 »

I have "essentially brand new" vintage MX blacks not worn in and they are much smoother than MX blacks you find in modern keyboards. Its not just the usage!
yea vintage springs are also made from 1.4310 SS instead of 1.4301

Offline Tofunator

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 10:34:29 »
do the gateron housings fit onto the mx switches?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 10:42:06 »
do the gateron housings fit onto the mx switches?
Yes

Offline Tofunator

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 11:09:31 »

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 10:51:00 »
So my thing with Gaterons is... people seem to say they are very smooth but are concerned about durability. If they are made of softer plastic and maybe wear a bit faster, who cares? We're dealing with mechanical keybaords here. If you're interested in Gaterons in the first place your going to be doing some custom work to a KB. If they are smoother and last even half the time, what does it matter? The glory of mechs is they are easily repaired, switch died? Replace it!

I'm going to be doing a custom build with Gateron browns, unless they fail at a CRAZY fast rate I'll take the smoothness boost for a small durability hit. Cheaper and smoother? Sign me up...

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 11:00:04 »
The glory of mechs is they are easily repaired, switch died? Replace it!
funny you say that. one of the appeals that initially drew me into researching mechs was the promise of longevity, i.e. buy it for life kind of deal. one single keyboard that you can use for a decade or more sounds pretty good, right? i thought so until i joined this unholy forum

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 11:12:00 »
The glory of mechs is they are easily repaired, switch died? Replace it!
funny you say that. one of the appeals that initially drew me into researching mechs was the promise of longevity, i.e. buy it for life kind of deal. one single keyboard that you can use for a decade or more sounds pretty good, right? i thought so until i joined this unholy forum

Slippery slope! haha. When I initially did my mech research it was a long time ago and I ended up with a Filco TKL MJ1 with browns, I've since put a programmable controller in it and it's still working great! Hell I don't even have shine on the keys and it's been used every day for 8+ hours. With a bit of self control you can buy one, and only one. :) But still, if Gaterons were around when I did my research many years ago and people said they were smoother but MIGHT have slightly lower durability(which hasn't even been proven, not enough time in the field) I would probably get those. If anyone doesn't know how to solder, mechs are a great place to learn. Soldering key switches is about as straight forward as it gets(assuming no SMD).

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 11:19:10 »
When I initially did my mech research it was a long time ago and I ended up with a Filco TKL MJ1 with browns
twinsies :-) and i agree, spend a couple months here and before you know it, you're suddenly interested in actually customizing your keyboard, and the notion of using a stock board no longer appeals to you

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 15:27:36 »
When I initially did my mech research it was a long time ago and I ended up with a Filco TKL MJ1 with browns
twinsies :-) and i agree, spend a couple months here and before you know it, you're suddenly interested in actually customizing your keyboard, and the notion of using a stock board no longer appeals to you

Twinsies!! <3 :)

(Didn't get a Filco TKL as my first mech, just enjoyed the fact you said Twinsies! Last time I did that around here people somehow felt like I have to justify my self for using that...  :rolleyes:)

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 17:04:11 »
Does anyone know if there ever would be clones of cherry MX clears?

People are really desperate for them.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 23:26:08 »

i'm hearing that browns are close, may not be the same but if people are actually "desperate" for them then it should be good enough for them.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 23:54:54 »

i'm hearing that browns are close, may not be the same but if people are actually "desperate" for them then it should be good enough for them.
Well the reason why people choose clears in the first place is because browns leaves an underwhelming feeling. They are similar in that they are tactile but clears have a large bump for the tactile feel so you can see why browns can't replace clears.