Author Topic: Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard vs (MSNEK4000)  (Read 13336 times)

Offline blueangel2323

Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard vs (MSNEK4000)
« on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 23:24:45 »
This isn't really a review, so much as just my thoughts on the two generations of Microsoft's famous split keyboard...

So I just dug out my old Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard that I hadn't used in about 10 years, and I was surprised by it in a few regards. Firstly, with the exception of the mushy space bar, the keys actually feel surprisingly good. Not the absolute best, but better than 99.9% of the rubber domes I've tried. Very springy with great tactility. The keys on the current and very popular Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 are mushier and lack tactile feedback in comparison. Even the sound is better - the older model is louder and sounds more like a mechanical keyboard than its successor.

The keycaps themselves also seem to be of higher quality on the older model. If nothing else, the legends seem to be laser engraved, instead of the pad printed legends on the 4000 that wear out extremely easily. The caps also feel thicker and more solid. Unfortunately they also seem to attract gunk more easily as well. Maybe it's just the white colour that more easily shows how dirty they are.

Of course, the 4000 has some advantages as well. The layout of the primary keys on the newer model is curvier and conforms to the hand a bit better, whereas the older models were basically normal keyboards split in half. The inclusion of dedicated equal sign, parentheses, and backspace keys above the number pad is a godsend for those of us who use Excel a lot. And, of course, almost no one has a PS/2 port on their computer anymore. But ultimately, it's still disappointing that the build quality of the keyboards has gotten worse in spite of those improvements.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard vs (MSNEK4000)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 23:34:02 »
The only good thing about these boards are the media buttons at the top..use a dremel, cut them out, and tape them to a Realforce.....you're welcome. :cool:

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 23:10:28 »
The only good thing about these boards are the media buttons at the top..use a dremel, cut them out, and tape them to a Realforce.....you're welcome. :cool:
Pic?  :)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 23:13:09 »
Best Microsoft Natural keyboard ever. Accept no substitutes.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 09:27:36 »
Have you had a chance to try the new Microsoft Sculpt ergo? It seems better than the 4000, though probably not as nice as the older natural boards. Would be curious to get a geekhacker's opinion on it.

That board daerid posted is at my goodwill I think...I'd go pick it up but my fellowes-microban is actually a pretty nice split board. I should write a review on it sometime.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:47:04 »

Show Image

I will see if I can get my hands on one. It is quite old so it's hard to find one for sale. I'm assuming the membrane on the Pro was of much higher quality than the 4000? Two rows of keys on my 4000 stopped working, most likely due to worn out traces on the membrane.

Have you had a chance to try the new Microsoft Sculpt ergo? It seems better than the 4000, though probably not as nice as the older natural boards. Would be curious to get a geekhacker's opinion on it.

That board daerid posted is at my goodwill I think...I'd go pick it up but my fellowes-microban is actually a pretty nice split board. I should write a review on it sometime.

Yes, I have the new Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop. I got it on sale for $50 during Black Friday when I was in California. It's hard to compare because they are so different. The main difference is that Microsoft has caved to the laptop-style scissor key trend with the Sculpt. For scissor keys they are quite good - they remind me of the keys on older MacBook Pros and the first generation MacBook Air - but still nowhere near as good as an IBM-style ThinkPad keyboard. Key travel is obviously lacking compared to the 4000 and older models, but the keys are much snappier and more tactile compared to the mushier 4000. I think I still prefer the Multimedia (again, except for the space bar).

Speaking of the space bar, it is split on the Sculpt, like the rest of Microsoft's newest keyboards, which is good considering that the older Natural keyboards often had mushy and/or stiff space bars due to their length and sub-par stabilization. I think you can remap the left space bar to do other things, like backspace, but I haven't tried.

The "80%" layout and separate number pad are pretty cool, and allows the mouse to be placed closer to your body, but I miss the extra keys above the number pad that the 4000 had. The fact that the arrow keys aren't in a separate section is no big deal and takes very little getting used to.

A huge step backwards is the fact that the top row (Esc, F1-F12, PrtSn, ScrLk, Pause, and Calculator on the main keyboard, and Num Lock, Calculator, and backspace on the number pad) is BUTTONS, not keys. The buttons feel similar to but somewhat better than the Back and Forward navigation buttons on the 4000, which really sucks if you use any of those "keys" a lot. I hate hitting backspace on the number pad because IT'S NOT A KEY!!! Seriously, what were they thinking?

No status indicator lights (Caps/Num/Fn Lock) anywhere. Everything is minimalist which looks very stylish but it's definitely form over function (a la Apple keyboards and mice). You can't look down at your keyboard and tell if Caps Lock is on or not.

The Fn keys are optimized for Windows 8, which makes a couple of them pretty much obsolete now that Windows 10 is out. The rest work as expected. You lose all the extra keys from the previous keyboards, if that matters to you.

The bundled mouse is actually very good. Very round and a bit angled to the right (lefthanders need not apply) but not too big for those with small hands. It also has a power switch to save battery life. The old Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 was more comfortable for larger hands, but had no power switch.

The wireless is very reliable, needs no pairing, and works just like a wired keyboard, unlike the wireless version of the 4000 which was a POS.

Not sure what else I could say about it... if you have any questions feel free to ask. In summary I would say that although the Sculpt is pretty good, I wish Microsoft spent their efforts improving the key feel on their tried and true Natural keyboards instead of developing a stylish modern version with scissor keys from scratch. Because if it's not a ThinkPad keyboard then I would rather use a real keyboard with full-length travel rather than scissor switches. I know they would never make a mechanical Natural keyboard, but there are some truly excellent rubber dome keyboards out there (Thermaltake esports Commander and Cooler Master Storm Devastator are among the best I've tried) and I'm sure Microsoft has the ability to make keyboards that feel just as good as those.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 00:45:51 »
Very interesting reviews.

My brother uses only these keyboards--the sculpt at work because he has to take it for meetings, and the original natural at home.  He has pretty severe carpel tunnel and can't bend his wrist for more than 15 minutes without being done for the day.

Interesting how the original MS natural is quite snappy.  I can see why my brother has a few spares.

He had the same thing to say about the sculpt's switches.  It's definitely a change from the original.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 10:51:25 »
Am I the only one who liked the original MS Natural Keyboard the best? I've never liked media keys...

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 10:59:06 »
Switch quality aside, the Microsoft boards are good.  They were among the reference designs for the Ergo Pro -- especially for the palm supports.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 11:10:41 »

Show Image

I will see if I can get my hands on one. It is quite old so it's hard to find one for sale. I'm assuming the membrane on the Pro was of much higher quality than the 4000? Two rows of keys on my 4000 stopped working, most likely due to worn out traces on the membrane.

I have one of these in my storage room closet, it isn't the "Pro", but the "Elite", which is the earlier version. I'm not sure if that matters. It is used, and I haven't tested it but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. It looks to be in pretty good shape. If you want it, I'll ship it to you for the cost of shipping. Just send me a PM.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:10:37 »
I keep finding these at the recycling centre. It has a reputation, so I took one home, but I don't see the point. The keyfeel is extremely average even for a rubber dome and I can't get used to the split (although admittedly I can't type worth ****).
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 18:32:19 »
I have one of these and it really does have nice switches, OP described it pretty well. However they don't age too well; the keys like to stick and bind when they're worn out.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 13:05:22 »

I have one of these in my storage room closet, it isn't the "Pro", but the "Elite", which is the earlier version. I'm not sure if that matters. It is used, and I haven't tested it but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. It looks to be in pretty good shape. If you want it, I'll ship it to you for the cost of shipping. Just send me a PM.

Awe so close. Yeah the Elites were not as good as the Pros. Thanks for offering tho!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:22:59 »
I hated the multimedia one; it had a creaky case, and the domes felt horribly mushy to me even back in the day. Never ever again.

Quality-wise, I've found Elite to be the best by far (other than Pro), even better than the original Natural (made by Key Tronic). The domes were too stiff though (reminded me of the similar chiconys, but I didn't check its OEM), and the hollow palm rest didn't match the comfort of Ergo 4k at all, but that one was still awfully mushy.

In the end, I'm only a fan of Silitek/LiteOn SK-6000, with its much lighter domes, and I'd probably prefer a goldtouch or the MS Sculpt nowadays for a change.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 14:43:53 »
I've had a couple of 4000's. First 2-3 months awesome, after that utter garbage. Mushy, keys stick, caps were of, ABS shine. That's one of the reasons I went mechanical, actually. I just had enough of these MS and Logitech boards failing me after a couple of months already. One mech keyboard a year is cheaper than 4 of those in a year.

But I do miss the sculpted design every day... the feel, the curve. It was awesome.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 22:57:00 »
I've had a couple of 4000's. First 2-3 months awesome, after that utter garbage. Mushy, keys stick, caps were of, ABS shine. That's one of the reasons I went mechanical, actually. I just had enough of these MS and Logitech boards failing me after a couple of months already. One mech keyboard a year is cheaper than 4 of those in a year.

But I do miss the sculpted design every day... the feel, the curve. It was awesome.
The legends wore off my keys before any shine started to appear... not that that's any better.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 07:11:30 »

f**k fake-ass chiclet keyboards. Personally, I think it feels flimsy. I like the 4000 way better.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 07:12:07 »

Show Image

I have had that one and the 4000. I like the 4000 better. The natural pro felt really hard on my fingers once the rubber wore out.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 18:54:17 »
I had the 4000 a little while after I graduated HS. Like davkol said, it creaked a lot and I had a hard time adjusting to the loud clicks of the multimedia keys/back & forward buttons