Author Topic: Thock Thock Thock: Touch My Nova  (Read 8358 times)

Offline moshimalloe

Thock Thock Thock: Touch My Nova
« on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:23:39 »
I wanted to write a quick review of the Novatouch I so know and love. While it's supposedly the cheapest and most inferior of the three main Topre keyboards, I think it has a lot of merits. Let's take it step by step.

Disclaimer: As with everything, this is all personal opinion, and I'm not saying the Novatouch is better than the other two. I just love mine. This is my Novatouch. There are many like it, but this one is mine...

Sound

After trying my boyfriend's HHKB and RF Hi-Pro, I have come to the conclusion that the Novatouch has the deepest Thock. He agrees too, and I think it's a tad bit louder. While the HHKB is said to have the most indicative and most "Topre-like" thock, the sound of a Novatouch is I think deeper. The one I have is silenced, as is his HHKB, but the sound of the keys bottoming out is quite mesmerizing. I have never tried an unsilenced Novatouch, however, since this one came to me already silenced. I would say, it's more "Clock" than "Thock", but I like it.

Feel
While the keycaps that it came with are kinda slippery, the bottoming out feel of the Novatouch is very smooth. It's not as steady as the Hi-Pro or as deliberate as the HHKB, but it has it's own charm. I would liken it to having candy wrapper or tissue paper at the bottom of the keys. Imagine that velvety crinkle as you bottom out. Downside: It's not as tactile as the other two. I can barely feel a bump. It feels almost linear, but perhaps this has something to do with the silencing mod done on it?

The board is also, overall, quite sturdy. It feels like it's well built, to me.

Price
Iz cheap :"> Hehehe. I got mine for about $106 USD already landing pad modded. :3 :3 :3

Disadvantages
But of course, it doesn't come without it's downsides. These include:
  • Lousy stock keycaps
  • Micro-USB instead of Mini-USB connector, but that's kind of a non-issue.
  • Topre keycaps don't really work on the MX-Compatible sliders :( In fact, they should label it MX Sliders, since MX-Compatible sliders implies that they're Topre-Compatible too.

Hehe I kinda also just wanted to write this review to thock my heart out.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Thock Thock Thock: Touch My Nova
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 02:14:45 »
I wonder how the RealForce HiPro sounds in comparison.  The keycaps on that keyboard are a lot taller, and thus could have an impact on the sound.

Keycaps - yeah, many (most?) people tend to change out the keycaps on CM keyboards.  I did with my QFR and QFS ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline moshimalloe

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:05:02 »
I wonder how the RealForce HiPro sounds in comparison.  The keycaps on that keyboard are a lot taller, and thus could have an impact on the sound.

Keycaps - yeah, many (most?) people tend to change out the keycaps on CM keyboards.  I did with my QFR and QFS ;)
From what I can tell, it seems like the height of those keycaps makes the sound deeper? I guess cause it's more resonant inside the keycap, giving it a deeper, hollow thock.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:26:09 »
I have to agree, from what I've heard, once silenced the novatouch is quite nice sounding.

I keep putting off buying some silencing rings for my HHKB as of late. I need to do that, I want to get rid of that annoying clack.  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:09:13 »
I have to agree, from what I've heard, once silenced the novatouch is quite nice sounding.

I keep putting off buying some silencing rings for my HHKB as of late. I need to do that, I want to get rid of that annoying clack.  :p

Silencing rings on a standard HHKB will reduce the key travel noticably.

Type S has a thinner base on the sliders so the Type S silencing rings can fit on without altering the travel distance much.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:37:15 »

Silencing rings on a standard HHKB will reduce the key travel noticably.

Type S has a thinner base on the sliders so the Type S silencing rings can fit on without altering the travel distance much.
If I don't like the effect it has on the switch, I'll just resell them, it can't hurt to try. Some people do not have a problem with them on standard topre switches, so I shall see what camp I end up in.

Hyperspheres rings are at least better than dental bands in term of lossed travel.  :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:40:04 »
The lack of tactility in the NovaTouch is surprising. It reminds me of the Noppoo EC108 Pro which has NovaTouch knockoffs for switches and virtually no tactility at all either. By the same token, it is soooo quiet. It produces more of a "shup shup" than a "thock thock" (or "clock clock").

I eagerly await an ANSI 104 (or even better, a 108) NovaTouch with properly dampened switches and a white case. I would love to try some SA-family keycaps on such a board.

Offline moshimalloe

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 02:20:24 »
The lack of tactility in the NovaTouch is surprising. It reminds me of the Noppoo EC108 Pro which has NovaTouch knockoffs for switches and virtually no tactility at all either. By the same token, it is soooo quiet. It produces more of a "shup shup" than a "thock thock" (or "clock clock").

I eagerly await an ANSI 104 (or even better, a 108) NovaTouch with properly dampened switches and a white case. I would love to try some SA-family keycaps on such a board.

Isn't the NovaTouch already ANSI 104?

EDIT: My bad! I forgot it was a TKL.

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:50:18 »
Your review is spot on, i use a Novatouch a work. I wish i would of silenced mine but its not bad. Soon i'll be buying some doubleshot caps to replace the stock ones. I like how the novatouch is discrete allows me to use at work without raising any eyebrows :)

Offline Flossed

• Hai
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:42:20 »
A Novatouch was my first Topre keyboard and it just didn't click. Few months later, I got a F660C and I love it! Never got around to silencing it though.

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:59:53 »
You guys are convincing me to silence my Novatouch. I'm not a huge fan of how it sounds, and yesterday I picked up a silenced HHKB and holy crap, I just LOVE the sound.

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline Flossed

• Hai
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 08:13:09 »
You guys are convincing me to silence my Novatouch. I'm not a huge fan of how it sounds, and yesterday I picked up a silenced HHKB and holy crap, I just LOVE the sound.

The Novatouch gets MUCH better silenced. Very worth the effort!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 13:41:11 »
I have an old rubber dome that makes a nice thock as well, does that count?

Offline Sniping

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 14:46:36 »
Hey, thanks for this post. I was thinking of writing something about this topic with a similar idea in mind.

I've been using the Novatouch for almost a year now as one of my two daily keyboards. I used to knock the Novatouch for not feeling as tactile as my old FC660C and overall sounding weird compared to the other Topre keyboards. Hollow might be the right word to describe the sound of the Novatouch imo. I've since come to realize that this is a really nice package for the price that it goes for right now and that the sound and feel of this keyboard is actually quite good.

Offline studentben

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 04:21:54 »
Do you ever get tired typing for a long time on the Novatouch?

I have a Poker 2 with browns and when I tried out my friend's Nova while typing an essay I was worn out so quickly. I swapped back to the Poker to finish up the rest of the essay.

I have no idea if I'm just weak or his Nova was hard.