Author Topic: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller with Mini-B/Type-C connector  (Read 521889 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 19:18:53 »
johnthedong,
What happens accutally when pressing 'cmd + alt + arrow' successfully and what happens when it fails?
And what application are you using with this key combo in fact?
I need more info to know what happens, not that I'm blaming the OS, apps.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #351 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 01:00:06 »
johnthedong,
What happens accutally when pressing 'cmd + alt + arrow' successfully and what happens when it fails?
And what application are you using with this key combo in fact?
I need more info to know what happens, not that I'm blaming the OS, apps.
I'm using it with Chrome/terminal, to switch tabs. When it fails it simply doesn't change the tab. I'm sure I identified the problem though (no NKRO over bluetooth) as it works over USB nicely, but thanks again for helping! PS: the media keys (vol +, vol -, play/pause, next song) doesn't work over USB for some strange reason, but when I use bluetooth all is fine.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #352 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 23:52:41 »
Is it possible to turn off the BT LED using any Magic button combination? Reason being that I'm using the dust covers for both of the holes (led and switch), and while I can use the LSHIFT+RSHIFT+U to turn on/off the bluetooth, the LED stays on. If I change it to USB mode entirely via the switch, I can't enable the bluetooth again using LSHIFT+RSHIFT+U. Thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #353 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 00:17:31 »
Is it possible to turn off the BT LED using any Magic button combination? Reason being that I'm using the dust covers for both of the holes (led and switch), and while I can use the LSHIFT+RSHIFT+U to turn on/off the bluetooth, the LED stays on. If I change it to USB mode entirely via the switch, I can't enable the bluetooth again using LSHIFT+RSHIFT+U. Thanks!

You cannot control the LED unfortunately, red part of BT LED is connected directly to Bluetooth module and always indicates status of  the module as long as it it powered.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #354 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 00:24:45 »
I see, thanks for the fast reply!

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #355 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 08:40:06 »
Is there anyway to solder on a USB port to any of the HASU controllers? I really want to upgrade my stock HHKB controller to HASU but I can't without at least 1 USB port available.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #356 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 09:14:19 »
Is there anyway to solder on a USB port to any of the HASU controllers? I really want to upgrade my stock HHKB controller to HASU but I can't without at least 1 USB port available.

No support for usb hub unfortunately.

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #357 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:16:13 »
Dang, okay thank you.

Offline devoi

« Reply #358 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:19:25 »

You could always jury-rig it and buy a two-port usb hub, disconnect the internal USB on the TMK controller, and rearrange and reconnect everything together so that the usb cable actually goes to the hub instead of the keyboard. I'm not even sure if there's enough space inside the case for that, though.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #359 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 20:15:28 »
:D it's me again with more tweaking. (PS: you're making my hhkb type s modded a dream to use. No more keyboards without the custom layout lol)

One thing I've not solved is that if I simultaneously press multiple keys on the hhkb over bluetooth, it fails to register the keys. The window for the failure is very small though as I have to literally press them at the same time, but is nonetheless irritating regardless. This problem does not occur when I switch to USB mode. Any pointers for this? Thanks again!

Edit: NKRO_enable glitches the Bluetooth mode out. Restored to no.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 March 2017, 23:08:02 by johnthedong »

Offline ajx

« Reply #360 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 07:28:29 »
Hello Hasu, do others BT peripherals interfere with Hasu BT controller HHKB?
I mean i noticed for example, two peripherals increase input lag (BT headset sound lagging/freezing while PS4 pad got heavy input lag)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #361 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 07:44:40 »
Hello Hasu, do others BT peripherals interfere with Hasu BT controller HHKB?
I mean i noticed for example, two peripherals increase input lag (BT headset sound lagging/freezing while PS4 pad got heavy input lag)

I think so, bluetooth devices shares bandwidth and resourses on computer. Wifi and microwave can interfere each other too.
But I may be wrong, I'm not very familiar with the protocol and heavy user of bluetooth devices.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #362 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 10:20:54 »
Have been contemplating to upgrade my HHKB with Hasu's controller.
One big question is if I can use my HHKB with an iPad, and I have the following questions around connecting a HHKB to an iPad (thunderbolt versions) using a 'USB Camera adapter' and a mini-B cable:

Does any of these settings work with an iPad?
1. HHKB Pro 2 with Hasu BT controller using cable+adapter connected to iPad
2. HHKB Pro 2 with Hasu controller using cable+adapter connected to iPad
3. HHKB Pro 1 with Hasu controller (for Pro 1) using cable+adapter connected to iPad

BT is nice but cable connectivity is essential.

Thanks in advance.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #363 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 10:42:22 »
Have been contemplating to upgrade my HHKB with Hasu's controller.
One big question is if I can use my HHKB with an iPad, and I have the following questions around connecting a HHKB to an iPad (thunderbolt versions) using a 'USB Camera adapter' and a mini-B cable:

Does any of these settings work with an iPad?
1. HHKB Pro 2 with Hasu BT controller using cable+adapter connected to iPad
2. HHKB Pro 2 with Hasu controller using cable+adapter connected to iPad
3. HHKB Pro 1 with Hasu controller (for Pro 1) using cable+adapter connected to iPad

BT is nice but cable connectivity is essential.

Thanks in advance.

I think if you have the bt controller the bluetooth works directly - I've had luck connecting via bluetooth to various devices I have. No need to fumble with the cable/adapter. Correct me if I'm wrong though - I can test with my iPad and BT hhkb tonight.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 11:31:52 »
Hasu BT controller should work via BT connection to iPad, and BT is a big plus for either home use or on the road. But BT has its limitations and I'm not keen on always watching out for whether this or that device is going to run out of juice.

What is unfair is that HHKP Pro 1 and HHKP JP (with their unmodified original controllers) can connect to iPads through cable without any problem; it's just HHKB Pro 2's original controller.

Please do if you have the chance and I'm also looking forward to Hasu's answer (I'm not sure if he has access to an iPad model with thunderbolt socket)
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:41:20 »
Hasu BT controller should work via BT connection to iPad, and BT is a big plus for either home use or on the road. But BT has its limitations and I'm not keen on always watching out for whether this or that device is going to run out of juice.

What is unfair is that HHKP Pro 1 and HHKP JP (with their unmodified original controllers) can connect to iPads through cable without any problem; it's just HHKB Pro 2's original controller.

Please do if you have the chance and I'm also looking forward to Hasu's answer (I'm not sure if he has access to an iPad model with thunderbolt socket)

If you want USB connection to iPad you better have USB controller. Bluetooth controller draws fair amount of current for battery charging and iPad will refuse it. Charging current of Bluetooth controller can be up to 500mA. Original Pro2 draws around 120mA for its hubs, for reference.

USB Alt controller(of all variants) draws around 20mA and it should work with iPad on USB connection.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #366 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:07:35 »

I can confirm 100% that it works with an iPad air 2. Just disconnected it from my laptop and connected it to the iPad, works like a charm. Skip the wires and use bluetooth. That's like the perfect travelling work setup if you use Vim over ssh on an iPad. :)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #367 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 23:13:48 »

I can confirm 100% that it works with an iPad air 2. Just disconnected it from my laptop and connected it to the iPad, works like a charm. Skip the wires and use bluetooth. That's like the perfect travelling work setup if you use Vim over ssh on an iPad. :)

Thanks!  :thumb:

Vim on my HHKB..?  :confused: Please don't get me started on the whole holy editor debate.  ;)
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #368 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 23:17:54 »

Thanks!  :thumb:

Vim on my HHKB..?  :confused: Please don't get me started on the whole holy editor debate.  ;)

Hey, I use Sublime text on most of my devices locally.  :p Vim is great for on server editing though. Also, no latency that I can observe from an iPad connected to both my headphones and the hhkb via BT. Buttery smooooottthhhh.  :)

Offline adam.baranyai

« Reply #369 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 13:23:18 »
Hi All, Can anyone tell me if there's a key combo that puts HHKB USB Hasu controller into programming mode so I won't need to press the button on the controller? Can't seem to find this info anywhere. Currently I'm using this layout if that's relevant: https://goo.gl/U6wWNh.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #370 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 18:29:59 »
Hi All, Can anyone tell me if there's a key combo that puts HHKB USB Hasu controller into programming mode so I won't need to press the button on the controller? Can't seem to find this info anywhere. Currently I'm using this layout if that's relevant: https://goo.gl/U6wWNh.

You can start bootloader(programming/flash mode) with pressing both shifts and pause, which is called as "magic command".
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard#magic-commands

But it seems your layout has no pause key.

Offline adam.baranyai

« Reply #371 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 20:41:32 »

You can start bootloader(programming/flash mode) with pressing both shifts and pause, which is called as "magic command".
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard#magic-commands

But it seems your layout has no pause key.

Thanks for the quick help Hasu, I guess I'll just setup one then. :)

Offline mil

« Reply #372 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 16:00:15 »
Been using the alt controller for quite some time now -- very awesome work -- thanks Hasu!

Wondering if anyone has successful added a LED to the alt board? Are there specific pins I could solder to?

My idea is to use the empty holes left from the stock board USB ports and just poke a LED out (ideally RG/RGB multicolored/3/4 pin). I use alot of layers and would help a ton.

Any help greatly appreciated!
mil
go hhkb

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #373 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 10:42:50 »
Unused pins on USB controler are PD0,1,2,3,5, PE6 and PF0,4,5,6,7. PC6,7 are also available unless controller is for JP. See shcematic for deital.
http://i.imgur.com/tIYI5TX.png
http://i.imgur.com/3EB0Lq8.png

Pins you can solder easily using through hole pads are PD0,1 and PF5.
http://i.imgur.com/EwIVNl3.jpg

Offline mil

« Reply #374 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 14:17:13 »
Unused pins on USB controler are PD0,1,2,3,5, PE6 and PF0,4,5,6,7. PC6,7 are also available unless controller is for JP. See shcematic for deital.
http://i.imgur.com/tIYI5TX.png
http://i.imgur.com/3EB0Lq8.png

Pins you can solder easily using through hole pads are PD0,1 and PF5.
http://i.imgur.com/EwIVNl3.jpg

Wow this is great PD0/PD1 seem like exactly what I need and even have the through-hole. Thanks for the help!
mil
go hhkb

Offline NadavCE

« Reply #375 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 08:12:55 »
Hey all,
If I use the eBay battery in the "confirmed" section (this one), instead of crimping the connectors - will connecting a premade one (like these) work? Thanks :)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #376 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 10:20:46 »
Hey all,
If I use the eBay battery in the "confirmed" section (this one), instead of crimping the connectors - will connecting a premade one (like these) work? Thanks :)

It will work.

Offline NadavCE

« Reply #377 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 15:43:38 »

Offline clorex

« Reply #378 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 04:09:48 »
Would a JP bottom case fit on a Pro 2 with the stock controller, or will it be blocked by the USB ports?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #379 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 04:23:46 »
Would a JP bottom case fit on a Pro 2 with the stock controller, or will it be blocked by the USB ports?

Yes, you can install Pro2 stock controller into JP bottom case. I just confirmed that. I cannot use two USB hub ports, of course.

You can put together either combination below:
- Pro2 top and Pro2 bottom case with Pro2 stock controller
- Pro2 top and Pro2 bottom case with TMK USB controller for Pro2
- Pro2 top and Pro2 bottom case with TMK Bluetooth controller for Pro2
- JP top and JP bottom case with JP stock controller
- JP top and JP bottom case with TMK USB controller for JP

- Pro2 top and JP bottom case with Pro2 stock controller
- Pro2 top and JP bottom case with TMK USB controller for Pro2
- JP top and Pro2 bttom case with JP stock controller
- JP top and Pro2 bttom case with TMK USB controller for JP
- JP top and Pro2 bttom case with TMK Bluetooth controller for JP
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 15:21:15 by hasu »

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 00:42:40 »
Anyone got the HHKB BT Controller's media controllers working on a Mac via the USB cable? It works flawlessly over bluetooth but once I connect it via usb it doesn't work. Other keys and such work fine though.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 00:59:43 »
which key codes are you referring actually?

this wiki page may help.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/FAQ-Keymap#media-control-keys-in-mac-osx

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #382 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 01:17:26 »

this wiki page may help.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/FAQ-Keymap#media-control-keys-in-mac-osx

Hmm, here's the key codes I tried:

Code: [Select]
MUTE,VOLD,VOLU,MPLY,MFFD
I discovered that they don't work on their own, even if I remap them to layer 1. I'm on MacOS Sierra.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 01:22:01 »
ah, Im not  if those keys work with sierra.

we need other Sierra users to help.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 01:34:17 »
ah, Im not  if those keys work with sierra.

we need other Sierra users to help.

Interesting, yep the newest version tested in the wiki was El Capitan. I'm noticing that the media controls still work if I press another media key before pressing the key though. It's like the other media keys are acting as a FN key on its own to activate the media key I'm pressing, which is super strange.

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #385 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 01:50:46 »

this wiki page may help.

MUTE,VOLD,VOLU,MPLY,MFFD
I discovered that they don't work on their own, even if I remap them to layer 1. I'm on MacOS Sierra.

I'm on Sierra and these codes are working. Tested on a Macbook Pro running 10.12.4 and a Hackintosh running 10.12.0

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #386 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 01:53:19 »

this wiki page may help.

MUTE,VOLD,VOLU,MPLY,MFFD

I'm on Sierra and these codes are working. Tested on a Macbook Pro running 10.12.4 and a Hackintosh running 10.12.0

Interesting, thanks for the data point! I'll reflash the controller with the stock version and try it out again.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #387 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 02:03:12 »
Recloned the newest version of TMK, imported my keyset (also tried the default hhkb one), and confirmed that it's still the same problem. It works 100% over bluetooth though, so it might be something with my laptop. I'll try on another Mac tomorrow and see if it works. Thanks everyone!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #388 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:58:19 »
Updated "STOCK" section in first post.

Now, "All variants are virtually always in stock." and
"Lead time: Can be shipped usually in a few bussiness days, a week in the worst case."

Offline lunr

« Reply #389 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 00:33:44 »
I couldn't​ find info on this but is there an estimate on how long a 2000mah battery will last before needing a charge?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #390 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 00:38:11 »
around 20 to 24 hrs I guess

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #391 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 12:01:21 »
I couldn't​ find info on this but is there an estimate on how long a 2000mah battery will last before needing a charge?
With all day use at work  (about 8 hours on and off) and some at home in the evenings,  I'm having to recharge every 3-4 days so I would say Hasu is right there. It's not bad at all. Just keep an eye on the battery indicator as letting it drain can mess up the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline lunr

« Reply #392 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 12:07:34 »
Thanks

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #393 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 01:15:55 »
Hi,

Want to purchase one of the BT for a JP (still waiting for it to ship from Jp), I'll email you once I get my tracking number, to start the process. I just have a few questions:

• Are the JP/BT in stock?
  • Has anyone had success using a battery larger than 2000 mah?
  • Is it necessary to switch the controller OFF, every time I power OFF the KB?
  • How much more energy will leaving the controller consume by with the switch ON, opposed to switch OFF and power OFF?
  • Is it enough energy to advise switching the controller OFF, when powering OFF the KB?

Thanks in advance!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #394 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 03:10:56 »
1. yes
2. without case mod it will be difficult to find battery beyond that capacity.
3. not sure your concern but switch BT off when you want to save battery.
4. without USB power around 80-90mah from battery when BT is turned on,  vs 0 when off.
5. not sure. can you rephrase?

how do u discriminate between switch off and power off?

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #395 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 04:19:11 »
1. yes
2. without case mod it will be difficult to find battery beyond that capacity.
3. not sure your concern but switch BT off when you want to save battery.
4. without USB power around 80-90mah from battery when BT is turned on,  vs 0 when off.
5. not sure. can you rephrase?

how do u discriminate between switch off and power off?

Thanks for the quick reply!

No worries, you answered #5 with #4. I'll be contacting you soon, just waiting for the order to ship, shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 days.

Offline 12on

« Reply #396 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 12:30:57 »
Hi -

I read your first page - after receiving your controller test it before flashing.  I am inexperience in modding and probably won't install it until I purchased all the mods which is a few months.  Do I need to worry about being out of stock (JP BT)?  or buy it now and if I find out it's defective few months later you'll still offer repair service?

Thanks

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #397 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 17:58:58 »
Hi -

I read your first page - after receiving your controller test it before flashing.  I am inexperience in modding and probably won't install it until I purchased all the mods which is a few months.  Do I need to worry about being out of stock (JP BT)?  or buy it now and if I find out it's defective few months later you'll still offer repair service?

Thanks

No worry, it is available regularly. Buy it after getting keyboard.

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #398 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 12:53:00 »
Just got my controller, thanks for the quick shipping! Now to figure out how it works:)

Offline supersoul

« Reply #399 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 19:53:44 »
just got my controller today i'm not sure what i did wrong tho. i used the tmk layout editor(from http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/index.html) to generate a hex file (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3ALbowUgqlSdFVaS2RUM1hIaWM) but when i try to load it onto my controller with flip nothing happens. the program function fails to do anything. am i doing something wrong? i could use some help.