Author Topic: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.  (Read 325846 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.
« Reply #400 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:35:18 »
nate will always be a part of geekhack. always.

63748-0

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #401 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:39:03 »
I was browsing a thread from exactly a year ago and almost necro'd it because I didn't catch the date was 2013 then can across one of Smallfry's posts....at first I was like...what? Then realized the date.... :(

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #402 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 21:15:01 »

(Attachment Link)

Where can I get one of those?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #403 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:18:26 »

I remember taking this screenshot and sending it to him to congratulate him on 6K

Geekhack was pretty different back then...really miss it...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #404 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:42:41 »
Ah, his "Thanks much" sig.  And Soon (tm).

He is missed on a daily basis.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #405 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:46:52 »

(Attachment Link)

Where can I get one of those?
he had it custom made on a family trip to the mall of america

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #406 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:49:30 »
Ah, his "Thanks much" sig.  And Soon (tm).

He is missed on a daily basis.

He was the first person from Geekhack I talked to...I'll always remember that night on IRC

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #407 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 23:52:57 »
1 year today. RIP buddy. Geekhack isn't the same without you.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #408 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 12:24:04 »
Nathan

Smallfry
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #409 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 01:03:50 »
A year already?  Things move so fast...

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #410 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 10:01:22 »
Just wanted to post to anyone watching this thread that I have created a tribute Cap to SmallFry, profits go to support GH, the Nathaniel Walters scholarship fund and to feed the hungry.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57263.msg1455582#msg1455582

c h e r

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #411 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 12:01:47 »
Glad that Geekhack is back. But to me it was kinda fitting. Almost like an extended moment of silence. The 'hack went down Friday or Saturday of last week? And in that little scramble that I'm sure you all did with me to try and fill the void, I almost forgot that 6/27 is a date that has real significance to me. The anniversary of Smallfry's death.

In March I had the chance to hang out with Hoffman and Halverson at Midwest Gaming Classic. Turns out my drive brought me near Gurnee Mall, site of the first Geekhack meetup I went to in Chicagoland. I think I realized like twenty miles out that I'd be passing it. I think I was teary eyed for the next sixty miles. And threw up a salute when I passed by.

Nate was the person who taught me most how cool DIY and Making Stuff Together is here. He gave me a crash course in keyboards so thorough, I told him he was my Professor and I was earning my Bachelor's of Keyboard Science. I think part of building keyboards for me is a way for me to keep a part of his memory.

But anyways, I still think about you Nate. I miss you. Rest in paradise.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #412 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 15:12:50 »
thanks for the reminder cpt.
rest in peace SmallFry
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #413 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 18:16:43 »
thanks for the reminder cpt.
rest in peace SmallFry

+1
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #414 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 09:13:44 »
I was contacted by Nathan's mother today. The drunk driver who murdered nathan plead no contest. Sentencing will happen in November.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #415 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 10:07:49 »
I was contacted by Nathan's mother today. The drunk driver who murdered nathan plead no contest. Sentencing will happen in November.

It's good that the legal process is finally coming to an end. It will give much needed closure to Nate's family and friends.

That said, a long prison sentence for the drunk driver will not bring back our friend. I hope the offender may be able to do something positive toward preventing this type of behavior in others, which leads to so much pain and sadness.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #416 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 18:11:02 »
Thanks for the update.  I actually did not know an drunk impaired driver was involved in the incident. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:36:28 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #417 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 18:29:15 »
Thanks for the update.  I actually did not know a drunk driver was involved in the incident.
I never heard this part, either. A friend of mine lost her mother to a drunk driver. Her mother was on the highway, on her way to attend my friend's college graduation.

I drove drunk more times than I can count, before I gave up drinking altogether about 12 years ago. Thank God nothing bad ever happened as a result, but I think sometimes how much different life would be for me right now if I had taken someone's life.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #418 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 18:34:10 »
Thanks for the update.  I actually did not know a drunk driver was involved in the incident.
This. I missed the update as well. Praying for all involved.

It's a real shame a life can be taken so quickly but justice isn't served for such a long time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2015, 18:35:55 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #419 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 00:44:46 »
I never heard this part, either. A friend of mine lost her mother to a drunk driver. Her mother was on the highway, on her way to attend my friend's college graduation.

I drove drunk more times than I can count, before I gave up drinking altogether about 12 years ago. Thank God nothing bad ever happened as a result, but I think sometimes how much different life would be for me right now if I had taken someone's life.

I lost one of my childhood friends to a drunk driver six years ago.  It's beyond sad that so many of us have experienced a tragedy like this in our lives.  As jd said, though, it's great that the legal process is winding down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #420 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 03:02:25 »
There would have to be something out of the ordinary to have caused a tragedy like this.  mkawa's comment suggests such a reason.

Thank you for the update, hopefully Nathan's family will receive some comfort and closure from this.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 02:21:41 »
I still keep this on my desk, unchanged since I did it when he died. Can't bring myself to change it.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #422 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 02:00:08 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:57:12 by alienman82 »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 08:01:14 »
I just ran into this thread.  Being in Wisconsin too, I can't help but imagine being close friends with someone like Smallfry.  Being a fairly new member (activity-wise), I never knew him.

His remembrance here in this thread even years is a testament to the man he was.  I can only hope to achieve such levels of respect and admiration over the course of my life.

RIP Smallfry.  You are still present among your friends here.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #424 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 09:51:42 »
Impressive to see that 3 years after his untimely death SmallFry is still remembered.

This is the mark of a man (actually he was a boy, but he was really mature) who has left positive feelings in the people he came into contact with.

:thumb:
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline LargeFry

• SmallFry's Father
« Reply #425 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 11:03:31 »
A quick correction, the driver who hit Nathan (SmallFry) was on heroin, not drunk.  He was sentenced to 5 years in prison and 10 years extended supervision.  The driver went into rehab and was clean from shortly after the accident on.  The accident might have save the defendant's life, as he finally got the help he needed to get clean.  The judge told the defendant “This young man has caused you to do what you couldn’t do for several years, but he had to die to do it.”

As JD said, no sentence will bring back Nathan, and maybe the defendant is on a better path now.  In any case, we are glad this part of the journey is over.

We stop by periodically and read some of the past and current posts in this and other threads.  Thank you for all your kind comments.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #426 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 15:02:38 »
Thank you for the update.  I'm glad you're doing well.

Still sorry Nathan didn't get to build the board I gave him.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #427 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 19:54:35 »
Thank you for the update.

I can only admire your ability to see a positive aspect of this dreadful situation.

I hope you are able to move forward a little every day.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #428 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:40:03 »
A quick correction, the driver who hit Nathan (SmallFry) was on heroin, not drunk.  He was sentenced to 5 years in prison and 10 years extended supervision.  The driver went into rehab and was clean from shortly after the accident on.  The accident might have save the defendant's life, as he finally got the help he needed to get clean.  The judge told the defendant “This young man has caused you to do what you couldn’t do for several years, but he had to die to do it.”

As JD said, no sentence will bring back Nathan, and maybe the defendant is on a better path now.  In any case, we are glad this part of the journey is over.

We stop by periodically and read some of the past and current posts in this and other threads.  Thank you for all your kind comments.

Thank you for the update.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #429 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 02:55:55 »
almost three years. still feels like we were just talking on irc the other day.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #430 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 05:44:10 »
almost three years. still feels like we were just talking on irc the other day.

Can't be that long - only seems like last week we heard the news :(

Offline Baby_Fry

• SmallFry's baby sister.
« Reply #431 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 22:08:04 »
Hey all,

I don't know how much this thread is checked anymore, but my name is Emily, and I am Small Fry's younger sister. Just to give a bit of an update on my life, I am now 18, and have been working as a camp counselor at a summer camp where Nathan and I went to camp. I just wanted to ask if any of you would possibly have a note that my brother may have hand written to you. I am searching for handwriting for a tattoo that I would like to get. I want to have Semper Vic written on my thigh in my brother's handwriting. Semper Vic is the high school wrestling team's motto, meaning always victorious. It doesn't always mean that you will win every match, because my brother didn't, but rather that you will act like a champion in your everyday life with how you treat others, yourself, and the world around you. I believe my brother greatly embodied what the team meant it to stand for. To explain further, the old wrestling singlets have Semper Vic written on the thigh, which is the reason for the location. I would greatly appreciate if you could get back to me.

Thanks much,
Emily
Baby Fry
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 July 2016, 22:38:48 by Baby_Fry »
Thanks much,
BabyFry

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #432 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 23:01:53 »
@Baby_Fry, I'll keep looking, but here is something I found here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35796.msg681731#msg681731

Edit: ...and this is my 12,000th post. RIP SmallFry; we still remember.

The only handwritten note I ever received from Nathan would have been included with the headphones he traded me, and unfortunately I don't think I kept it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 July 2016, 23:09:17 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Baby_Fry

• SmallFry's baby sister.
« Reply #433 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 13:25:16 »
@jdcarpe,

Thank you so much, that is very helpful. I greatly appreciate it.

All the Best,
Emily
Thanks much,
BabyFry

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #434 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 13:46:25 »
Hey all,

I don't know how much this thread is checked anymore, but my name is Emily, and I am Small Fry's younger sister. Just to give a bit of an update on my life, I am now 18, and have been working as a camp counselor at a summer camp where Nathan and I went to camp. I just wanted to ask if any of you would possibly have a note that my brother may have hand written to you. I am searching for handwriting for a tattoo that I would like to get. I want to have Semper Vic written on my thigh in my brother's handwriting. Semper Vic is the high school wrestling team's motto, meaning always victorious. It doesn't always mean that you will win every match, because my brother didn't, but rather that you will act like a champion in your everyday life with how you treat others, yourself, and the world around you. I believe my brother greatly embodied what the team meant it to stand for. To explain further, the old wrestling singlets have Semper Vic written on the thigh, which is the reason for the location. I would greatly appreciate if you could get back to me.

Thanks much,
Emily
Baby Fry

this is beautiful.

RIP smallfry

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #435 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 20:58:03 »
Hey all,

Thanks much,
Emily
Baby Fry

Gah!  I had a handwritten note, but I believe it was disposed of long ago.  Oh well.  I think jdcarpe provided some help there.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #436 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 21:09:45 »

On another note, related to the heroin addict that took Smallfry from this world, I have lost one of my first friends in this world and also an extended family member to heroin addiction this year.  The damage that heroin addition and the root causes of such addiction are doing to this country for the last few years affects nearly everyone.  What to do about, I don't quite know.